IGNORED

HQ Player

42 minutes ago, Zauurx said:

@Miska 
To my knowledge in the case of just using NAA: an embedded version (with hqplayer server and hqplw killed) is equivalent to a NAA image version (without embedded).
The last optimizations concern only the upsampling server part (?).
In terms of SQ (kernel, latency...) the 2 versions, for a NAA use, are equivalent ?

Network setup is different, and x64 NAA image runs from RAM disk. Although I have now new images in testing where you have choice for NAA OS without RAM disk also for x64 (allowing configuration changes etc).

Kernel and latency are the same and there shouldn't be any difference in sound quality.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

59 minutes ago, Achim said:

in a scenario  where I have HQP on a server machine and play out over a NAA to the living room AND want to use the HQP input option - how can I attach the input interface to the NAA? NAA is one of your images.

I want to attach to the NAA in order to avoid long cables, possibly through a wall, to the HQP machine.

If I try to set NAA in HQP as input as well, the "must be different" error is thrown.

You need to have two NAA's, one for the input and another one for the output. At the moment NAA process can only deal with a single function at a time.

(please also note that the NAAs need to have a different name!)

On 1/12/2022 at 2:09 PM, ted_b said:

So I have my i7-6700k now booted up with HQP Embedded, and running Roon to my fitlet2 NAA.  I will head downstairs soon to evaluate sq, etc.

Well, I'm back on Win10 after trying HQPlayerD on my i7-6700k.  Couldn't listen at all as both PCM and DSD played with clicking sounds every second.  And no real idea of a workaround or solution.

Hi, trying to connect to HQPlayer running on Windows 10 from Roon.  I find that if there are more than one network adapter present that I cannot connect.  It seems HQPlayer does not use the default network adapter.  This is problematic since in order to run VM's on the Windows machine, I need to enable the software adapters that Windows installs in order to support Hyper-V.  Has anyone else run into this issue and is there a workaround? Or a way to select which network adapter HQPlayer should use?  I'm running the most recent version of HQPlayer Desktop.

Thank you!

6 hours ago, Hammer said:

Hi, trying to connect to HQPlayer running on Windows 10 from Roon.  I find that if there are more than one network adapter present that I cannot connect.  It seems HQPlayer does not use the default network adapter.  This is problematic since in order to run VM's on the Windows machine, I need to enable the software adapters that Windows installs in order to support Hyper-V.  Has anyone else run into this issue and is there a workaround? Or a way to select which network adapter HQPlayer should use?  I'm running the most recent version of HQPlayer Desktop.

HQPlayer doesn't listen on any specific interface, just binds it's port on "any", IOW, 0.0.0.0.

@Miska Thanks, Jussi - how do I change the name within your images?

Would it be possible that you change your images so that they read a text file one can place on the thumb drive next to the gz-file with the image, so that the NAA instance gets the name given in the text file.

Alternatively, the image could add the last digits of the NAA's IP address to the "NAA" moniker, so the names would be unique.

15 hours ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer doesn't listen on any specific interface, just binds it's port on "any", IOW, 0.0.0.0.

Thanks...I don't think I know what that means.  On my Windows 10 machine, Roon cannot connect to HQPlayer unless vEthernet (Default Switch) is disabled.  This is the network interface Hyper-V installs to provide vm's with network access.  Is there a way for Roon to connect with this enabled?  Additionally, with this enabled, HQPlayer also does not see the NAA's on the network.  However, I can access the internet and my network shares so there is connectivity with it enabled...just not respect to HQPlayer.

1 hour ago, Achim said:

@Miska Thanks, Jussi - how do I change the name within your images?

You can edit /etc/hostname

Or alternatively edit /etc/default/networkaudiod and put there NETWORKAUDIOD_NAME="something"

1 hour ago, Achim said:

Alternatively, the image could add the last digits of the NAA's IP address to the "NAA" moniker, so the names would be unique.

Since IP comes from DHCP after the hostname has been set up, and can change any time during runtime it is not so straightforward.

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Thanks...I don't think I know what that means.  On my Windows 10 machine, Roon cannot connect to HQPlayer unless vEthernet (Default Switch) is disabled.

It means HQPlayer listens for connections on all interfaces, not on anything specific. Rest is up to the OS to deal with.

Is Roon on the same machine, or different one? If on same machine, you have "localhost" as address for HQPlayer?

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Additionally, with this enabled, HQPlayer also does not see the NAA's on the network.

Then either multicast packets destined to "local network" are routed to wrong place, or the response packets don't find back. You can see which one is the case by checking whether networkaudiod reports the discovery messages or not. Sometimes using IPv6 helps, since it has better multicast handling. You can check your routing tables.

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

However, I can access the internet and my network shares so there is connectivity with it enabled...just not respect to HQPlayer.

Internet access doesn't need multicasts, and SMB uses broadcast (ugh) to discover shares on home networks when your computer is not part of SMB domain with a domain controller. HQPlayer doesn't use broadcasts because they are bad and because it is privileged operation on all sensible OS.

For me, on Linux, there's no problem using VirtualBox guests on the same machine where HQPlayer is running on the host.

8 minutes ago, Miska said:

You can edit /etc/hostname

Or alternatively edit /etc/default/networkaudiod and put there NETWORKAUDIOD_NAME="something"

Thanks, Jussi - I understand this for the Rpi linux NAA apps and such - but I am using your closed images and they are not editable, are they? Sorry for being so dumb here.

3 hours ago, Achim said:

Thanks, Jussi - I understand this for the Rpi linux NAA apps and such - but I am using your closed images and they are not editable, are they? Sorry for being so dumb here.

On the x64 RAM disk edition of NAA OS you can edit /etc/default/networkaudiod and then restart the service for the change to take effect. However, it will be lost on next boot.

On RPi4 NAA OS you can edit, since it runs off a regular file system.

In the upcoming NAA OS builds, you can choose, one has RAM disk, the other one doesn't. Makes this easier...

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

On the x64 RAM disk edition of NAA OS you can edit /etc/default/networkaudiod and then restart the service for the change to take effect. However, it will be lost on next boot.

On RPi4 NAA OS you can edit, since it runs off a regular file system.

In the upcoming NAA OS builds, you can choose, one has RAM disk, the other one doesn't. Makes this easier...

Hi Miska, say for the RPi4 NAA OS, what are some of the things that can be edited? i.e. disabling wifi or maybe boot with USB instead of SD card or perhaps some network settings?

Deric

8 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

Hi Miska, say for the RPi4 NAA OS, what are some of the things that can be edited? i.e. disabling wifi or maybe boot with USB instead of SD card or perhaps some network settings?

Anything you like, it is not restricted in any way on any of the images. Just on the RAM disk ones the changes are gone on next reboot unless you modify the compressed RAM disk image.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Anything you like, it is not restricted in any way on any of the images. Just on the RAM disk ones the changes are gone on next reboot unless you modify the compressed RAM disk image.

Hi Miska, what is the user name and password if I like to ssh into the rpi 4 NAA image?

Thanks 

Got a basic Ubuntu question. Finished a new computer build, my first! Installed Ubuntu Desktop. When I tried to download HQP Desktop from website, I got a message that the software installer didn’t know how do the install. The deb file was downloaded to the /tmp directory.

Being  a Linux novice, I tried to use dpkg -i to do the install but got errors. So then I tried apt install which was partially successful and indicated I could try to again issue apt install with something like “broken links”. That worked and HQP successfully installed.

For future reference, what command should I have used? Thinking about doing a clean Ubuntu install and this time correctly installing HQP just to make sure everything is correctly installed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

4 minutes ago, ericuco said:

Being  a Linux novice, I tried to use dpkg -i to do the install but got errors. So then I tried apt install which was partially successful and indicated I could try to again issue apt install with something like “broken links”. That worked and HQP successfully installed.

For future reference, what command should I have used? Thinking about doing a clean Ubuntu install and this time correctly installing HQP just to make sure everything is correctly installed.

Sometimes package manager GUIs can install HQPlayer package successfully. But generic chore from command line is like:

sudo dpkg -i hqplayer4desktop_x.xx.xx-NN_amd64.deb
sudo apt install -f

So sounds like you did it correctly in the end. It is normal that first command gives errors about missing dependencies. Second command will fix that by pulling the missing dependencies from the OS package repository.

Can anyone with knowledge of the Cisco iOS language please give me a brief walk through to enable 802.3x flow control, 802.3az EEE and 802.1p Cos/QOS for my Cisco 2060 switch?

I did some researches and know that the Cisco 2960 does have these protocols but were set to off by default. I bought a RJ45 to usb console cable and was able to connect to the switch using putty but IOS is a “foreign/alien” language to me. Is it meant to be a matter of entering a few command lines to enable these protocols? How do i find out the interface-id of my switch? 

🙏 🙏 

Deric 

I made a small discovery  of how Prefetch mode and Freewheel mode work.

Last week my gigabit fiber internet was down to between 80Mbps and 100Mbps. When attempting to use Freewheel mode at those speeds I would get stutters at the beginning of a song as HQP was still downloading. This happened more on high res files, 24/192 were the worst, clearly.  My speeds are back up to where they should be and Freewheel works perfectly.

I have both Prefetch and Freewheel activated and unless the next song is unusually long, it's completely downloaded before the current song ends and the next one starts. No stutters at all.

No electron left behind.

Up and running with my i9 12900, generally doing well but one issue with HQP Desktop 4.15.4 is that with both muylticore and CUDA offload grayed, latest nvidia driver for my RTX3080, I get high cpu loads with virtually no GPU offload. On my prior PC  with similar setting I'd get less COU usage and more GPU usage, especially w/higher resource filters which I had thought were more parsed to the GPU resource. Suggestions to "balance the load" between CPU / GPU welcomed, @Miska:

Screenshot 2022-01-15 232546.png

Screenshot 2022-01-15 232506.png

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

5 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

Up and running with my i9 12900, generally doing well but one issue with HQP Desktop 4.15.4 is that with both muylticore and CUDA offload grayed, latest nvidia driver for my RTX3080, I get high cpu loads with virtually no GPU offload.

CUDA offload grayed = convolution only

CUDA offload checked = filters and convolution

6 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

Up and running with my i9 12900, generally doing well but one issue with HQP Desktop 4.15.4 is that with both muylticore and CUDA offload grayed, latest nvidia driver for my RTX3080, I get high cpu loads with virtually no GPU offload. On my prior PC  with similar setting I'd get less COU usage and more GPU usage, especially w/higher resource filters which I had thought were more parsed to the GPU resource. Suggestions to "balance the load" between CPU / GPU welcomed, @Miska:

Screenshot 2022-01-15 232546.png

Screenshot 2022-01-15 232506.png

Nice, just 34% utilization with almost the most demanding configuration (I guess with red book input it will increase to ~50-60%)

Looks like head room for new filters - @Miska I bet you have some ideas up your sleeve :-)