IGNORED

HQ Player

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, austinpop said:

Hi Jussi,

I think it all centers around providing guidance around these 4 key settings:

image.thumb.png.2fb2a8002e6cb7e647f337fdd8d74077.png

Yes, the manual does describe each available choice for each of these 4 pull-downs. But that is 4-dimensional cross-product of hundreds of combinations. it doesn't tell me how I should navigate. I'm looking for guidance. Maybe a lot of these settings are older, and have been superseded. Maybe the best current options are a small subset. How about some guidance that says - this is the most preferred one, but try these other 2 as well. Or - this is recommended, but if it's too CPU-intensive, fall back to this.

How about this? Pick a set of source types. Say:

• DSD
  • PCM
  • MQA

For each of these, come up with the "Top 3" recommended combinations of filter/dither or oversampling/modulator. If 3 is too limiting, OK, make it top 5. But give me a set of manageable choices to try. This is no different than filter settings on DACs. There's usually a small handful.

Then the rest of the choices can be for people who really have specific reasons to go beyond.

I know several folks who liked the sound of HQPlayer, but could never enjoy it, because the sheer volume of the multi-dimensional parameter space caused stress, which is the complete opposite of why one listens to music!

Please know that this is sincere customer feedback, and not meant to criticize.

Thanks.

hi , 

the beauty of HQ player is the multiple choice to to get the better sound of your digital files.   please don't blame it and don't ask for more simplicity :) 

every filter brings his flavor and there is no magical setting as it is content dependents (  Jazz/ live ,/ rock / low files , high rez recording , etc..)

it also interact with  the inner filter of your dac  and the quality , neutrality or not of your final audio system.

let's try anyway in a subjective way.

for DSD  with very good acoustic recording i like  direct SDM  and for all the rest upsampling to DSD512 with Poly short lin  IRR  standard filter

for PCM to DSD   i prefer  Poly-sync dsd5 V2 DSD512 as it is the most natural to me with demanding Horn speakers.   MinringFirr comes next.    Polysinc XTR 2s  sounds to clean to be true for my taste.

for PCM Polysinc  NS5 384khz but i prefer going to DSD with the DAC8DSD

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

HQplayer volume question,   i know that the volume for upsampling to DSD must be set top -3db but  what is the limit of Hqplayer attenuation not to loose too much resolution   -6db  -12b  -20db ?

thanks

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

• 3 months later...

I'm not going to say anything about "sounds better to me". But from objective technical point of view using -2s filter is much better option. You essentially have same functionality (two filter stages instead of one), but without the adverse effects.

perhaps less stress on the processor is better ,  subjectively i prefer to use 2s polisync  44-DSD512  than non 2s version. 

• 1 month later...
On 06/04/2018 at 8:32 PM, Miska said:

Run in at DSD512, filter of your choice and ASDM7 modulator and it will perform very well indeed!

sometimes i wonder how better would be the " high end" model of T+A dac  ( PDP 3000 HV ) compares DAC8DSD.

any rich guy here ? :)

On 10/04/2018 at 12:17 AM, Kilauea50 said:

I am curious what filter you guys are using for jazz music? Thanks

DSD512  polysync  DSD5V2 256fs , most natural to my ears  on horn speaker.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Miska said:

Let Roon decode it and HQPlayer upsample it. To either 176.4k or 192k depending on your filter of choice and source rate.

Your current filter selection works perfectly fine with it and allows upsampling of all content to 192k. You can also try poly-sinc-mqa-mp which will enforce you to either 176.4 or 192k output depending on output rate of decoded MQA (88.2k or 96k) so in this case you can leave the output rate selection in main window to "Auto" to let HQPlayer select either output rate when source rate changes.

yeah it could great news this MQA pre-decoder on roon if thje sound was'nt so bad , ihave some files in DSD / quobuz 24/96 aiff, and ripped CD 16/44 and the Tidal MQA is the worst each time. 

So dissapointed , all this " tralala" for this result.O.o

• 3 weeks later...

MISKA PRESIDENT ! ?

my only wish is to have an entry door to HQP  , so we can use it as a soundcard in windows  to lbe able to listen some great Youtube concerts or movies convert to DSD512  ( VLC can compasate the video sync )..

• 4 weeks later...

something i don't understand   PCM44 to DSD512  using polysync filter  take 2minutes to initialyse and then take  37% of the CPU

and  PCM44 to DSD256 using Polysinc XTR start in 2s and take 45% of the CPu ? o.O

it feels like 2 minutes , don't know exactly ?     i have a I7 6700K no  Video card   ,too slow for XTR in 512  but  fortunatly DSD256 with poly XTR  sounds  incredible with HQ 3.21   better than polysync DSD512

On 7/1/2018 at 2:55 PM, Miska said:

Different filter, different initialization algorithm... Also the conversion ratio is different which also has impact on initialization time. This is totally different from the amount of CPU time it takes when running the filter.

2 minutes sound like quite long time, what kind of CPU do you have?

what will be the minimum GPU config to get polysync XTR 512 working with my I7 6700K PC , 

cheap and "silent" if possible ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, numlog said:

What DSF settings and modulator is everyone using for PCM to DSD conversion?
choosing the right ones can have a dramatic impact IME.

Bit rate is 44.1x128.

poly-lin or poly-mp for conversion and slow- lin or fast-mp noise filter worked well...

if you are using a minimum phase oversampling filter try switching to the linear phase variant and use poly-mp for conversion. transients were nicer this way I found

Integrator was best left IIR, it was the most natural.

having DirectSDM enabled is better I feel, the volume control is disabled but the gain is reduced just enough for PCM, about -3dB. the manual suggests it only applies when the source is DSD, is this really the case?

The manual give much info on modulators. The default ASDM7 is a safe choice,  it sounds clean and seems like the most resolving one. I prefer to use DSD5v2, it sounds fuller and more robust ... maybe it is designed for DSD128?

DSD7 tended to sound unpleasant...

My favourite combination is poly-lin conversion and slow-lin noise filter with poly-sinc and DSD5v2. Smooth and resolving in a natural way

i'm not sure but i thought Miska said that the DSD settings filters only matters for DSD to DSD or DSD to PCM conversion and not PCM to DSD ?

Hi Miska do you plan to build an Auto-filter fonction ( with preset analyser) to adapt every kind of music/recording with your variants of filters , it will be easy for us ??

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, PieterP said:

Thank you very much @shadowlight, @Geoffrey Armstrong and @Miska for your detailed responses.

- So, I understand (summarize) that an UPnP renderer is integrated in HQPlayer embedded and this renderer is streaming straight from Tidal or Server, or Qobuz, not through the device running UPnP Control Point (BubbleUpNp on my android phone/tablet). This is good to know.  

- When Qobuz has integrated DLNA/UPnP in their client (in the 'near' future...), we can directly use this Qobuz app to control the UPnP renderer in HQPlayer.

Then, HQPlayer embedded (not bootable) has the flexibility to use Cuda support, but I need to install an OS first. Although I am not planning to install a powerful video card, I like to have the flexibility to do so.  

- For OS, we can use Audiolinux instead of Ubuntu LTS for its turn key character and good support by @hifi25nl. Audiolinux also supports Cuda. This OS/support sounds helpful for a linux newbie like me. 

- The other route requires Kodi as a UPnP renderer for HQPlayer Desktop on Windows and SuperSonic manages the 'play queue' and can even be an UPnP control point. I suppose this route is optimal if you already have the Desktop HQPlayer version on Windows and then you want to stream Qobuz/Tidal. 

rhaaaa the good old days..?

1200px-CDP101a.jpg

ext2 might become my favorite with RB and poly sinc mqa (mp) my favorite with hires + I can now keep CIC integrator/SAVE engine combo : 3.24 is a major release ; kudos and thanks

i play with it all day long ..

but at the end i always return to Polysinc short  and don't need anything else.. 

• 5 weeks later...