IGNORED

HQplayer the friendly way (and stream Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify...)

hifi25nl

Would you like to control HQplayer from your sofa in your hifi room with a user friendly interface?

Would you like to stream Tidal, Qobuz or Spotify with HQplayer upsampling?

Read below...

Only on LINUX!

INTRODUCTION

It does not work without a license for HQPlayer. If you are in possession of the license you have to write to [email protected] to obtain a free license for HQPlayer Embedded.

Rename the file received in hqplayerd-key.xml and copy to /home/user/.hqplayer (where you have to replace "user" with your user).

WHAT IS IT FOR?

To control HQPlayer from another device, particularly from a smartphone/tablet.

INSTALLATION

hqplayerd -> Index of /bins/hqplayerd

libgmpris (library) -> Index of /src/trusty

Rygel -> directly from the repository of your Linux distribution

MinimServer -> MinimServer downloads or the repository of your Linux distribution

dff2dsf (optional) -> Signalyst

BubbleUPnP (or another UPnp client) on your smartphone -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp&hl=en

CONFIGURATION

hqplayerd: hqplayerd uses a configuration file similar to HQPlayer in /etc/hqplayer/hqplayerd.xml

You should copy this file to /home/user/.hqplayer so you can change it easily.

Check and possibly modify it before proceeding. The Guide for the parameters to be used can be found in

/usr/share/doc/hqplayerd/readme.txt.gz.

Rygel: Copy the file rygel.conf configuration that you can find in /usr/share/doc/hqplayerd/rygel.conf.gz in /home/user/.config/

MinimServer: unless your Linux distribution already has a package for MinimServer, I do not recommend to use the setup program also because it is much easier to run the program without installing it. You can for example extract the file MinimServer-0.8.2a-linux-x64.tar.gz (for 64-bit systems) to a directory of your choice. Personally I used /home/user/Programs/MinimServer/

At the first start MinimServer will ask you the directory of your music files.

BubbleUPnP: no special configuration is required.

START

Initially you should proceed manually to verify that everything is working properly.

Recall that Rygel unfortunately needs the X graphical environment to work (this is because of dbus). It is also important to know that hqplayerd must be started BEFORE Rygel.

We use this sequence:

1) hqplayerd in a first terminal window

2) Rygel in a second window

3) Open a third terminal window. If you have installed MinimServer in /home/user/Programs/MinimServer/ the command to use is /home/user/Programmi/MinimServer/minimserver-0.8.2/bin/startd

4) Launch BubbleUPnP on your Android smartphone. In BubbelUPnP Menu MinimServer will be selected as Library and SygnalistHQplayer3 as Renderer

5) Now you can browse your music directory in BubbleUPnP and play some file.

If everything goes well then you can use a simple script hqplayerd.sh to launch all at once (remember to change with your user):

------

#!/bin/bash

hqplayerd &

sleep 2

Rygel &

/home/user/Programs/MinimServer/minimserver-0.8.2/bin/startd

-----

LIMITATIONS

You can not play the DSD files of type .dff. You can use Signalyst dff2dsf to convert .dff to .dsf

If you use a DSD capable DAC (and the corresponding hqplayerd.xml configuration) it is highly recommendeded to lower down the volume to minimum at the beginning of the first track. There will be no large "click" from one track to another after the beginning of the first track, if you don't change the format.

PLAY AUDIO FROM A SMARTPHONE TO HQPLAYER EMBEDDED (TIDAL, QOBUZ, SPOTIFY, ecc)

And finally, let's see how to play any audio source from your smartphone to HQplayer embedded.

1) Perform the "root" of your smartphone and install the latest SuperSU (keep in mind that in many cases this will void the warranty and that, if not performed correctly, could make your phone unusable)

2) Install Xposed Installer from Xposed Installer | Xposed Module Repository and enable the module AudioCast

3) In BubbleUPnP enable AudioCast and choose SygnalistHQplayer3 as renderer. In the configuration of AudioCast under Audio format choose "WAV".

4) Play a song on your smartphone (ex. from Spotify) and then activate the AudioCast switch in the menu of BubbleUPnP and wait a few seconds ... from now on any piece of music will be played on your hifi system with HQplayerd!!

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just tried this and Rygel complains. That there are no plugins, giving up!

I have searched the web and found a few people reporting this but no real solution.

Any ideas?

Bringing this thread up again. Were you successful in setting this up? I'm planning on taking a crack at it this weekend.

No, I did not find a solution, however I am going to have another go. I think that my problem was that I did not setup Embedded HQP correctly.

This will happen if rygel cannot find the hqplayer plugin, most probably because HQpplayer embedded is not starting correctly.

What linux distribution are you using? How did you install HQplayer embedded?

Did you make a HQplayer configuration file?

This must be in /home/$USER/.hqplayer/hqplayerd.xml. Example:

--------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<xml>

<output type="alsa"/>

<engine cd_drive="/dev/sr0" channels="2" direct_sdm="0" fft_size="512" type="alsa" volume_limit="0" volume_min="-60">

<alsa channel_offset="0" dac_bits="0" device="hw:0,0" dualwire="0" pack_sdm="0" period_time="100"/>

<network address="default" dac_bits="0" device="hw:0,0" dualwire="0" pack_sdm="0" period_time="100"/>

<transport dsd_6db="1" pdm_conv="5" pdm_filt="0"/>

</engine>

<pcm filter="9" dither="3" samplerate="192000"/>

<sdm oversampling="3" modulator="2" bitrate="5644800"/>

<mode value="pcm"/>

<title value="PCM192"/>

<log enabled="1" file="/tmp/hqplayerd.log"/>

<mime>

<type value="audio/ogg"/>

<type value="audio/vnd.wave"/>

<type value="audio/L24"/>

</mime>

</xml>

--------------------------------------

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

Hifi25nl,

As far as I am aware I have everything setup as required - EXCEPT I obtained the key for one machine and then tried to use it on another. Hopefully that is the problem, I have contacted Miska to get another key, this time I will use it on the machine which generated the fingerprint.

Somewhat deflated

Alan

Got it working - helps if you can spell "alsa"!

I am currently using BubbleUPNP on an Amazon Fire HD which being non-standard Android mean only the free version is available - OK for testing.

Over headphones through a Caiman dac the sound is very good; the pc I am using is not quite powerful enough to upsampled to 96k so once I tested using NAA I will transfer to the rig running HQPlayer full.

OK I forget the point of the thread which is to get QOBUZ and Tidal etc working so that will also have to be tried before the transfer..

A much happier bunny.

Is HQplayer so much better that anyone would go to all that described above just to get TIDAL and Qobuz??

I wouldn't have the patience or time, so someone please explain what is so special about HQ player? Why not use Amarra Sq?

I have not tried HQ Player embedded, but HQ Player desktop produces amazing sound quality converting 16/44 Redbook to DSD 128 or even better DSD256. When you run HQ Player in Windows Server 2012 with Audiophile Optimizer, the SQ gets even better. When you run HQ Player in a two computer setup (desktop and network audio adapter), and have Ethernet optical isolation of the NAA PC, the quality of TIDAL and QOBUZ becomes almost indistinguishable from ripped CD's on NAS or local SSD. Well recorded CD's sound so realistically live, it leaves me close to speechless.

That's why we are willing to jump through hoops ;-)

The only player software that does PCM to DSD conversion well are JRMC, Foobar + SACD and HQ Player , in that order of increasing SQ

There is a somewhat easier way to play TIDAL and QOBUZ using HQ Player Desktop using Kodi. The scripts are still being worked on to make it more user friendly, but the SQ is absolutely there

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Got it working - helps if you can spell "alsa"!

I am currently using BubbleUPNP on an Amazon Fire HD which being non-standard Android mean only the free version is available - OK for testing.

Over headphones through a Caiman dac the sound is very good; the pc I am using is not quite powerful enough to upsampled to 96k so once I tested using NAA I will transfer to the rig running HQPlayer full.

OK I forget the point of the thread which is to get QOBUZ and Tidal etc working so that will also have to be tried before the transfer..

A much happier bunny.

Did you just follow the direction from hifi25nl directly? Or were there some small tweaks there were needed? I'm not familiar with working on Linux so want to double check with you before I take a crack at it over the weekend.

Did you just follow the direction from hifi25nl directly? Or were there some small tweaks there were needed? I'm not familiar with working on Linux so want to double check with you before I take a crack at it over the weekend.

I basically followed Miska's instructions but it does need knowledge of Linux as you have to be able to move files around, unpack them, edit them etc. so if you have never used Linux or Unix at the command level it can be very frustrating.

I am running HQPlayer under WS2012 with Audiophile Optimiser in Core mode along with NAA and it is very good. I just wanted to see what I could get out of Linux with all pcs running headless.

I basically followed Miska's instructions but it does need knowledge of Linux as you have to be able to move files around, unpack them, edit them etc. so if you have never used Linux or Unix at the command level it can be very frustrating.

I am running HQPlayer under WS2012 with Audiophile Optimiser in Core mode along with NAA and it is very good. I just wanted to see what I could get out of Linux with all pcs running headless.

Are you able to control HQ player embedded with your tablet/smartphone? I'm mostly looking for this feature as the current interface on HQ player is such a mess.

Are you able to control HQ player embedded with your tablet/smartphone? I'm mostly looking for this feature as the current interface on HQ player is such a mess.

There is no controlling Embedded HQP, you just start it and Rygel, end of story! I use BubbleUPNP (Android only) as the control point, as mentioned above, it has a nice interface Album Art etc.

There is no controlling Embedded HQP, you just start it and Rygel, end of story! I use BubbleUPNP (Android only) as the control point, as mentioned above, it has a nice interface Album Art etc.

Oh yeah that's what I meant. Basically just want to be able to choose songs from my tablet rather than the clunky HQ Player interface via VNC.

Oh yeah that's what I meant. Basically just want to be able to choose songs from my tablet rather than the clunky HQ Player interface via VNC.

BubbleUPNP is only for Embedded HQP, for HQP Desktop I use the Microsoft Remote Desktop app (RD Client) on an ipad. There is no GUI for HQP at the moment to allow for a different interface.

I do not have a problem as I am used to this style of interface without CD covers / Coverflow.

BubbleUPNP is only for Embedded HQP, for HQP Desktop I use the Microsoft Remote Desktop app (RD Client) on an ipad. There is no GUI for HQP at the moment to allow for a different interface.

I do not have a problem as I am used to this style of interface without CD covers / Coverflow.

For a touch-screen oriented GUI in Desktop version, there's the fullscreen-mode which has cover flow and GUI design optimized for touch screens.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 1 year later...

Recall that Rygel unfortunately needs the X graphical environment to work (this is because of dbus). It is also important to know that

Does this mean Rygel wont work on Lubuntu which has the LXDE graphical environment? DO I have to use Xubuntu if I want to run a more lightweight OS?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Does this mean Rygel wont work on Lubuntu which has the LXDE graphical environment? DO I have to use Xubuntu if I want to run a more lightweight OS?

Rygel doesn't need any graphical environment, although dbus is needed for communication with HQPlayer. I have it all running on my NUC that doesn't have any graphical environment installed at all (nor display attached). Completely headless system. Instructions for the setup are on my web pages...

So you can use any graphical environment you like...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Miska

Does the Rygel renderer support gapless playback when used with a gapless supporting UPnP control point, such as the BubbleUPnP Android app?

Also, have you tried, or are aware of the Rygel renderer being able to be used by the BubbleUPnP Server helper software to create an OpenHome renderer for, thus giving HQPlayer embedded the ability to be 'controlled' by OpenHome control points, such as the Linn Kazoo and Lumin apps, which natively support TIDAL & Qobuz?

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox