IGNORED

HQ Player

36 minutes ago, Miska said:

You could install minimal Ubuntu or Debian there, and networkaudiod package on that one. If it doesn't support UEFI boot. This will work with older machines as well.

Yes, certainly. You will get much smaller OS and get rid of any graphical user interfaces or display modes and can go with pure text console instead.

That is another alternative. But if you use Ubuntu, I would recommend using my custom kernel instead.

You don't need to Pro part, that will only provide you with some additional software updates that are not necessary for a NAA.

Thanks! I'm on it. 

Will try with your kernel. I suppose I'll find instructions on your website. 

17 minutes ago, johsgjerde said:

However I can't find the custom kernel. Is there any purchase I can make to get access to it?

No cost associated with free open source software!

Just above the NAA link on my page there's a line saying "Custom Linux kernel packages for native DSD support here." with a link.

I don't like posting direct links here since those are subject to change over time.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

You should set it to external digital filter mode and run it at 705.6/768k. This will bypass any internal digital filters, so only S/H (ZOH) oversampling is left before the modulator.

But it is much better running in DSD Direct mode at DSD256 or DSD512. This way you can run 256x or 512x digital filters in HQPlayer instead of being restricted to 16x digital filters. Plus you bypass the on-chip modulator.

Thank you. Yes, I know about the internal DSD volume bypass mode (it sounds excellent). Im just not able to send DSD to my receiver so am limited to a max of 192KHz and was plyaing around with the filters to see how they impacted sound. For my headphone setup, I can run DSD because I'm using only the L&R outputs.  

7 minutes ago, Raja said:

Thank you. Yes, I know about the internal DSD volume bypass mode (it sounds excellent). Im just not able to send DSD to my receiver so am limited to a max of 192KHz and was plyaing around with the filters to see how they impacted sound. For my headphone setup, I can run DSD because I'm using only the L&R outputs.  

I cannot spot the "NOS like" filter from 4497 datasheet (and it would be bad at such low rate). But the sharp roll-off linear phase filter is likely best choice if you have to use it at 192k rate.

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

I cannot spot the "NOS like" filter from 4497 datasheet (and it would be bad at such low rate). But the sharp roll-off linear phase filter is likely best choice if you have to use it at 192k rate.

Thank you. I though the NOS-like filter is the super slow filter shown here:

https://nihtila.com/2019/10/18/dac-digital-filters-part-2-deeper-dive-into-ak4490-and-ak4493-filters/

AKM4490 & 93 shares most of the same filters, barring short delay low dispersion.

8 minutes ago, Raja said:

Thank you. I though the NOS-like filter is the super slow filter shown here:

https://nihtila.com/2019/10/18/dac-digital-filters-part-2-deeper-dive-into-ak4490-and-ak4493-filters/

AKM4490 & 93 shares most of the same filters, barring short delay low dispersion.

Only thing 4497 datasheet says about super slow is:

image.png.b5eb0069eebdf9bd311e258fa03b272e.png

No other specs given. But you wouldn't want that especially if you run at low rates such as 192k. It could be OK in several MHz range, in case the DAC has a good analog filter.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

BTW, I checked the EXDF mode. Seems it requires a different data format (probbaly needs one of the AKM chips or similar):

image.png.19b9bb9976fb68c3bfbd6ad61c1be3db.png

That table is actually incorrect, if your read the texts about the mode... Only difference is in EXDF mode that both channel use individual data pins instead of interleaving.

But the chip operates in similar mode through regular I2S when set to Oct or Hex speed mode. Just pay attention to the clock speed ratio restrictions.

On 11/4/2023 at 4:39 PM, Miska said:

You EQ curve seems to have pretty much exactly 1 dB headroom, so it should work if you set pipeline gain to 1 dB or you can as well leave it 0 for safety. And the have HQPlayer volume at -3 dBFS should be fine based on this.

I guess that's the same one I have with Spring 3. Just in case, you could try with some other cable, just some regular USB2 or USB3 cable should be fine to rule out that part.

Just make sure you don't have both convolution engine and matrix active. You can use either one, but having both enabled is a bit too error prone, so I'd recommend to just use either one.

Hey Miska

Good news. I resolved the popping sound, but switching the USB cable, and also trying increasing HQp volume did nothing.

It was disabling multi-core DSP that work. I've always had it on "check marked"… but when I picked off, not a single pop now. 

I left CUDA cores checked though.....but would they still be active if multicore is disabled?

Thanks again

2 hours ago, Audionumber3 said:

I left CUDA cores checked though.....but would they still be active if multicore is disabled?

Yes. You can check it in multiple ways:

- Look at the status message at the bottom of HQPlayer Desktop window when you starting playback.

- Run nvidia-smi in command line before and after starting playback and compare the numbers.

- Run Open Hardware Monitor to see CPU (per core) and GPU frequency, utilization, temperature, ...

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
4 hours ago, Audionumber3 said:

It was disabling multi-core DSP that work. I've always had it on "check marked"… but when I picked off, not a single pop now. 

OK, please note that it has three levels. Off, auto (greyed) and force-all-on (checked).

4 hours ago, Audionumber3 said:

No, having CUDA checked forces necessary amount on. Whether CUDA actually becomes available depends if the driver is new enough. If the driver is too old, CUDA offload falls off. So it is good to stay up to date for example with the Studio Driver.

On 11/7/2023 at 11:32 AM, Miska said:

No cost associated with free open source software!

Just above the NAA link on my page there's a line saying "Custom Linux kernel packages for native DSD support here." with a link.

I don't like posting direct links here since those are subject to change over time.

Hi Again Miska. 

Thanks for your assistance! 

I got the setup up and running with Ubuntu server and your kernel. I can now do DSD 512 with any of the filters and modulators I have tried. It sounds great! 

A couple of questions: With my DAC based on ESS chip, would you recommend DSD 44,1x512 ot 48x512?

With the latest Ubuntu server live-usb, they removed the minimal option. Do you have a suggestion on how to strip it down from the base installation?

Again, thanks for your great help, you truly take care of your customers. 😊 

43 minutes ago, johsgjerde said:

A couple of questions: With my DAC based on ESS chip, would you recommend DSD 44,1x512 ot 48x512?

If it works correctly with both, you can use the Adaptive Rate set to checked. But with many implementations 48k multiples cause lot of hissing noise and/or heavy distortion due to incorrect clocking. So safest option is to use 44.1k x512.

43 minutes ago, johsgjerde said:

With the latest Ubuntu server live-usb, they removed the minimal option. Do you have a suggestion on how to strip it down from the base installation?

Installer asks for package selection when you go through. I usually select only common base utilities and SSH server, nothing else. But depends on what you had on that selection. No need for web or database servers or such. Sometimes for example SMB (Samba) server may be useful if you want to copy content from elsewhere to the local storage.

58 minutes ago, Zauurx said:

Why there is no possibility to use two ASIO driver in HQPlayer ?

One in input (eg. FlexAsio to drive some plugin audio) and another Asio driver (eg. for a dac) in output.

ASIO API does not allow to access more ASIO devices by one program.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

I'd like to upgrade my current Topping E30 DAC. My budget is limited, up to £500 or so.  My PC allows DSD256. I have some questions:

Miska's recommended DACs are all quite high-end and beyond my budget. I'm currently eying a DAC on eBay that is good value but has an array of filters and no direct mode.

How important is the direct DSD input without filtering in a DAC for HQPlayer?

Would a cheaper iFi with direct mode be a better choice than a more expensive one without direct mode?

Or would you go for a more expensive one and just select the filter that sounds the best?

Any recommendations for a great value DAC within my budget?

SMSL ones seem well regarded but might all come with filters.

Any help and advice is appreciated...

2 hours ago, satshanti said:

I'd like to upgrade my current Topping E30 DAC. My budget is limited, up to £500 or so.  My PC allows DSD256. I have some questions:

Miska's recommended DACs are all quite high-end and beyond my budget. I'm currently eying a DAC on eBay that is good value but has an array of filters and no direct mode.

How important is the direct DSD input without filtering in a DAC for HQPlayer?

Would a cheaper iFi with direct mode be a better choice than a more expensive one without direct mode?

Or would you go for a more expensive one and just select the filter that sounds the best?

Any recommendations for a great value DAC within my budget?

SMSL ones seem well regarded but might all come with filters.

Any help and advice is appreciated...

You could save a bit more and get an RME ADI-2 DAC, they usually go for £650.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

9 hours ago, Jud said:

What iFi DACs were you thinking of?

The Zen DAC Signature v2 for instance, which has direct DSD. I'm also eyeing an Aune X8 XVIII Magic DAC with Sparkos that has 7 different filters, so probably no direct DSD. Also looking at various SMSL options, some of which (the ones with AKM chip) have direct DSD, as far as I understand. Would that be a reason to avoid ESS chips?

22 hours ago, Zauurx said:

One in input (eg. FlexAsio to drive some plugin audio) and another Asio driver (eg. for a dac) in output.

This, works because i choose "wasapi" in imput (which is managed by FlexASIO). Perhaps I misunderstood.

You can work around this by using networkaudiod on the same machine, either for input or output side. Then you have two processes each accessing only one ASIO driver.

15 hours ago, satshanti said:

SMSL D-6 has AKM chip and support DSD Direct mode. And it is certainly inexpensive. The initial firmware version had a bug that made DSD Direct not work correctly at DSD512, but they fixed it and published update.

iFi has range of DACs with TI/BB DAC chip that is always direct in DSD mode.