IGNORED

HQ Player

15 minutes ago, bogi said:

Zauurx's solution is usable if HQPlayer Desktop was exited with the URI placed in transport area. Then HQPlayer starts again with that URI in transport area (if input and output audio device are connected). Under such circumstances then Zauurx's command works.

Did you try to set transport to 5 in hqp5-control? And then load the URI on the transport? And then issue play command? Since that is what HQPlayer Client does. It uses the same code as hqp5-control.

It should also get recognized if you just load "audio:" schema URI, but it goes through slightly different code path, since it will have extra playlist layer in between.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

8 minutes ago, Miska said:

Did you try to set transport to 5 in hqp5-control? And then load the URI on the transport? And then issue play command? Since that is what HQPlayer Client does. It uses the same code as hqp5-control.

Yes, I tried it as you wrote - I followed the Roon thread. Once again:

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 5 Desktop\hqp5-control.exe" localhost –set-transport 5

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 5 Desktop\hqp5-control.exe" localhost audio:default/48000/2

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 5 Desktop\hqp5-control.exe" localhost –-play

it ends with

image.png.9c9ea12a3b5a98ccb5116b76db21aaf7.png

Inserting into transport is the problem. I observed this curious square on the left side after the 2nd command:

image.png.6ab8a854813083c663f8dcf3aa765f18.png

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Miska I want to piggyback on a recent previous post regarding a multichannel setup.  I am using a Topping DM7 8 channel dac running  Dirac DLBC using 6 channels - left and right speakers and 3 subs. I am using Roon as my core and running HQplayer through SoMt -200 as my endpoint. My question, is there anything different that needs to be change under Hq settings or do I leave things as they are as if I am using hqp in a traditional 2 channel setup?  
 Thanks, Sam 

C.A.P. Pipeline, windows pro 10 > Roon > SOtM USB > Keces power supply > HDplex power supply > 4x2 HD Mini DSP > Ayre DSD QB-9 > Naim CDX > ModWright 9 S.E. Preamp > A21 Parasound Amplifier > Magnepan .7 > Augie's Dipole sub, ML sub, DIY sub > Dedicated room with acoustical treatment.

22 minutes ago, bogi said:

What defines the numbering in --set-transport?

enum Transport
        {
            TRANSPORT_NONE = 0,
            TRANSPORT_CD,
            TRANSPORT_FLAC,
            TRANSPORT_DSD,
            TRANSPORT_IFF,
            TRANSPORT_AUDIO,
            TRANSPORT_WV,
            TRANSPORT_MP3,
            TRANSPORT_RAW = 0xe0,
            TRANSPORT_FFMPEG = 0xe1,
            TRANSPORT_PLAYLIST = 0xf0,
            TRANSPORT_NOISE = 0xff
        };

43 minutes ago, shum3s said:

Miska I want to piggyback on a recent previous post regarding a multichannel setup.  I am using a Topping DM7 8 channel dac running  Dirac DLBC using 6 channels - left and right speakers and 3 subs. I am using Roon as my core and running HQplayer through SoMt -200 as my endpoint. My question, is there anything different that needs to be change under Hq settings or do I leave things as they are as if I am using hqp in a traditional 2 channel setup?

I assume Dirac is before HQPlayer (it should be)? You'd need to at least change number of channels to 6.

2 hours ago, bogi said:

I am getting error already in command

hqp5-control --set-transport 5

image.png.76c0ab36e8fda1c1e0d41cfe28a55bf6.png

This is strange error, meaning the connection with HQPlayer got broken or didn't work.

I found couple of potential issues on Windows with these and will fix those. For example, if you go through playlist instead of audio transport, input transport switches to WASAPI for some reason. When you go through the transport and previous item was the same transport type, the previous transport is not closed and next attempt fails because the driver is busy. GUI always resets the transport before switching.

Screenshotfrom2023-11-0600-53-15.thumb.png.0391f6f7da49cfca39ee7093ab7ab556.png

Above triggers the WASAPI issue. If you specify URI on the --set-transport command line, it is generally fine. But you need to switch transport to 0 or similar before switching to 5 again. Doing 5 twice in row produces the device busy issue.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

I found couple of potential issues on Windows with these and will fix those. For example, if you go through playlist instead of audio transport, input transport switches to WASAPI for some reason. When you go through the transport and previous item was the same transport type, the previous transport is not closed and next attempt fails because the driver is busy.

It looks to me too that something could change in Windows. Because I tried it also with HQPlayer v4 later yesterday (hqp-control2) and got the same result like with v5. And I found my older post where I mention that it was working (and also your older post where you showed the data structure number 5 comes form. I just forgot since that time).

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/64436-hqplayer-4-desktop-vs-digitised-fm-stream/?do=findComment&comment=1168357

I will try your above workaround at evening time.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Hi Miska, 

Different topic. The AJM DACs have a selection of selectable filters:

• Sharp
  • Slow
  • Short Delay Sharp (SD Sharp)
  • Short Delay Slow (SD Slow)
  • Super Slow
  • Low Dispersion Short Delay

Which of these do you recommend is activated when using HQ Player PCM output. I assume there may be some combos for various sampling rates. Super slow appears to be NOS.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 08.55.33.png

17 hours ago, Miska said:

Above triggers the WASAPI issue. If you specify URI on the --set-transport command line, it is generally fine. But you need to switch transport to 0 or similar before switching to 5 again. Doing 5 twice in row produces the device busy issue.

For me the workaround with initial setting to transport 0 did not work on Win11. I'm getting the error with any number specified with --set-transport.

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 5 Desktop\hqp5-control.exe" localhost -–set-transport 0

image.png.76bd74d3d2ad57bdc1dd3918012b8dd0.png

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 5 Desktop\hqp5-control.exe" localhost -–set-transport 5 "audio:default/48000/2"

The item is inserted into transport but now Send message error is displayed (the previous was Recv):
image.png.744840ef317af87d96da1f5889a6d74c.png

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 5 Desktop\hqp5-control.exe" localhost –-play

image.png.b687826b35401f3368ae1174eafb211d.png

17 hours ago, Miska said:

I found couple of potential issues on Windows with these and will fix those.

Thanks!

Hello @Miskaand everyone. I am receiving a Gustard X16 tomorrow, and would like to achieve DSD 512. I have a fairly high-end pc running HQPlayer 4 sending to an audio pc with naa or JPlay (whichever works) connected to my DAC by USB. I am reading that using DoP I can only achieve DSD 256. So that rules ut JPlay I suppose?

Is RAM an issue with DSD? I have DDR5 4800 but only 16g. 

My CPU is an i7 13700KF and I have a RTX 3080 Ti 12gb.

Anyway, can you lead me in the right direction with HQPlayer 4 to get DSD 512 on this system? 😊

3 hours ago, bogi said:

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 5 Desktop\hqp5-control.exe" localhost -–set-transport 0

image.png.76bd74d3d2ad57bdc1dd3918012b8dd0.png

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 5 Desktop\hqp5-control.exe" localhost -–set-transport 5 "audio:default/48000/2"

The item is inserted into transport but now Send message error is displayed (the previous was Recv):
image.png.744840ef317af87d96da1f5889a6d74c.png

These are some network errors. Not sure what is going there. But it seems unrelated issue.

13 hours ago, Raja said:

Different topic. The AJM DACs have a selection of selectable filters:

• Sharp
  • Slow
  • Short Delay Sharp (SD Sharp)
  • Short Delay Slow (SD Slow)
  • Super Slow
  • Low Dispersion Short Delay

Which of these do you recommend is activated when using HQ Player PCM output. I assume there may be some combos for various sampling rates. Super slow appears to be NOS.

What kind of DAC is this? Which chip?

3 hours ago, johsgjerde said:

Hello @Miskaand everyone. I am receiving a Gustard X16 tomorrow, and would like to achieve DSD 512. I have a fairly high-end pc running HQPlayer 4 sending to an audio pc with naa or JPlay (whichever works) connected to my DAC by USB. I am reading that using DoP I can only achieve DSD 256. So that rules ut JPlay I suppose?

I don't know how JPlay would be related to HQPlayer? But if you have a Linux-based NAA, you don't need to use DoP. Or if you use Gustard ASIO driver you don't need to use DoP either.

3 hours ago, johsgjerde said:

Is RAM an issue with DSD? I have DDR5 4800 but only 16g. 

My CPU is an i7 13700KF and I have a RTX 3080 Ti 12gb.

Anyway, can you lead me in the right direction with HQPlayer 4 to get DSD 512 on this system? 😊

I think you can do DSD512 with ASDM5ECv2 or ASDM7ECv2 just fine. For example with the default filters. Shouldn't have any issues whatsoever.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

AKM4497 (similar to 4490, 4493, 4495).

You did not mention DAC manufacturer and model. Does your DAC support DSD input?

With sending upsampled DSD content to your DAC you could substitute DAC oversampling filters with higher quality HQPlayer filters so you wouldn't need to care about which DAC digital filter to select - no one would be in action.

6 minutes ago, bogi said:

You did not mention DAC manufacturer and model. Does your DAC support DSD input?

With sending upsampled DSD content to your DAC you could substitute DAC oversampling filters with higher quality HQPlayer filters so you wouldn't need to care about which DAC digital filter to select - no one would be in action.

Im asking for PCM playback. DAC is DIY, so I can program the registers directly. Was just wondering what the guidance was. Using this as part of a combined setup that is limited to PCM only. Hope that helps. 

2 minutes ago, Raja said:

Im asking for PCM playback. DAC is DIY, so I can program the registers directly. Was just wondering what the guidance was. Hope that helps. 

OK, I understand. You are interested in information about on chip AKM digital filters. I'm just not sure how is that relevant to HQPlayer, since you are asking in this topic. What's the max. input PCM rate you can feed to your DIY DAC? Is there any room for HQPlayer to be in action? Or do you want to use other HQPlayer functionality like convolution or Matrix Pipeline processing? I just would like to understand your thought scenario in relation to HQPlayer.

34 minutes ago, bogi said:

OK, I understand. You are interested in information about on chip AKM digital filters. I'm just not sure how is that relevant to HQPlayer, since you are asking in this topic. What's the max. input PCM rate you can feed to your DIY DAC? Is there any room for HQPlayer to be in action? Or do you want to use other HQPlayer functionality like convolution or Matrix Pipeline processing? I just would like to understand your thought scenario in relation to HQPlayer.

Im using HQ player to upsample from 44/48Khz to 192KHz. Im wondering which filters are technically complimentary to what HQplayer is doing.

39 minutes ago, Raja said:

Im using HQ player to upsample from 44/48Khz to 192KHz. Im wondering which filters are technically complimentary to what HQplayer is doing.

My 2 cents worth is after all the filtering and pipeline processing, what comes out of HQPlayer shouldn't be tweaked any more. The DAC filter should be one that is as bit perfect as possible. 

10 hours ago, Miska said:

I don't know how JPlay would be related to HQPlayer? But if you have a Linux-based NAA, you don't need to use DoP. Or if you use Gustard ASIO driver you don't need to use DoP either.

I think you can do DSD512 with ASDM5ECv2 or ASDM7ECv2 just fine. For example with the default filters. Shouldn't have any issues whatsoever.

I use JPlay just to send the audio from my office-PC which is the powerful one running HQPlayer, to my old specs pc by my stereo over network as a dual-pc setup. The pc running HQplayer is not possible to place near my dac. I can do the dual-pc with NAA aswell. However I am using NAA on Windows server 2022. My cpu on that PC is old, so it does not support the HQplayer images to load from usb or so.

Would you recommend using a Linux distro with NAA instead, and would that give better or equal results? I have access to Ubuntu Pro and their realtime kernel which could be interesting to try. So I can run Ubuntu server minimal. Would that work if I install ALSA?

4 hours ago, Raja said:

AKM4497 (similar to 4490, 4493, 4495).

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Im asking for PCM playback. DAC is DIY, so I can program the registers directly. Was just wondering what the guidance was. Using this as part of a combined setup that is limited to PCM only. Hope that helps. 

You should set it to external digital filter mode and run it at 705.6/768k. This will bypass any internal digital filters, so only S/H (ZOH) oversampling is left before the modulator.

But it is much better running in DSD Direct mode at DSD256 or DSD512. This way you can run 256x or 512x digital filters in HQPlayer instead of being restricted to 16x digital filters. Plus you bypass the on-chip modulator.

19 minutes ago, johsgjerde said:

I use JPlay just to send the audio from my office-PC which is the powerful one running HQPlayer, to my old specs pc by my stereo over network as a dual-pc setup. The pc running HQplayer is not possible to place near my dac. I can do the dual-pc with NAA aswell. However I am using NAA on Windows server 2022. My cpu on that PC is old, so it does not support the HQplayer images to load from usb or so.

You could install minimal Ubuntu or Debian there, and networkaudiod package on that one. If it doesn't support UEFI boot. This will work with older machines as well.

Would you recommend using a Linux distro with NAA instead, and would that give better or equal results?

Yes, certainly. You will get much smaller OS and get rid of any graphical user interfaces or display modes and can go with pure text console instead.

I have access to Ubuntu Pro and their realtime kernel which could be interesting to try. So I can run Ubuntu server minimal. Would that work if I install ALSA?

That is another alternative. But if you use Ubuntu, I would recommend using my custom kernel instead.

You don't need to Pro part, that will only provide you with some additional software updates that are not necessary for a NAA.