IGNORED

HQ Player

5 minutes ago, bilboda said:

Yes, I am. Never been a problem before.

Please check that you have your DAC disabled at Roon Settings -> Audio. Otherwise what you describe will happen if you DAC uses drivers sourced from Thesycon. You can have only one application accessing the ASIO driver, otherwise what you describe happens, presumably because the driver enables mixing for PCM output (which it shouldn't do) instead of providing exclusive access.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

42 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

No, I don't think you can, that's a system that hasn't been updated for a long time now, so I don't think the latest versions of networkaudiod will work on that system.

if you want you can try, you should enter from the shell and give the following commands:

rc-service networkaudiod stop
cd /tmp
wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/bullseye/networkaudiod_4.5.0-57_armhf.deb
ar x networkaudiod_4.5.0-57_armhf.deb
tar xf data.tar.xz
usr/sbin/networkaudiod

check the messages in the shell...
unfortunately I no longer have that system at hand, and cannot help you any more.

It seems that the string data.tar.xz (final command line) has some problem: it says "no such file or directory" 

46 minutes ago, Miska said:

Please check that you have your DAC disabled at Roon Settings -> Audio. Otherwise what you describe will happen if you DAC uses drivers sourced from Thesycon. You can have only one application accessing the ASIO driver, otherwise what you describe happens, presumably because the driver enables mixing for PCM output (which it shouldn't do) instead of providing exclusive access.

40 minutes ago, bogi said:

Other reason for loosing DSD capability on Windows may be of different nature than Miska just pointed to.
Windows update may replace DAC specific audio driver with Microsoft default one, which does not support native DSD.
Solution for that case is of course to reinstall DAC ASIO driver, but an additional action to avoid specific driver automatic "update" by Windows update may be suitable too: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/146562-prevent-windows-update-updating-specific-device-driver.html

Driver is correct, still Holo Audio. I don't let Windows do driver updates, it frequently fails

Dac was enabled in Roon. I disabled it and now DSD plays fine. Not sure how this happened, I know better but it's been so long, i did not think to look for that. Thanks to both  of you..

11 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

it would be better if you posted all the output of the commands... but again, that IS a more than obsolete system...

Here is the command session:

GentooPlayerBBB ~ # rc-service networkaudiod stop
 * Stopping networkaudiod ...  

GentooPlayerBBB ~ # cd /tmp

GentooPlayerBBB /tmp # wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/bullseye/networkaudiod_4.5.0-57_armhf.deb
--2023-11-02 18:42:00--  https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/bullseye/networkaudiod_4.5.0-57_armhf.deb
Resolving www.signalyst.eu... 91.150.61.42
Connecting to www.signalyst.eu|91.150.61.42|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 220756 (216K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘networkaudiod_4.5.0-57_armhf.deb’

networkaudiod_4.5.0-57_armhf. 100%[================================================>] 215.58K   480KB/s    in 0.4s    

2023-11-02 18:42:01 (480 KB/s) - ‘networkaudiod_4.5.0-57_armhf.deb’ saved [220756/220756]

GentooPlayerBBB /tmp # tar xf data.tar.xz usr/sbin/networkaudiod
tar: data.tar.xz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

1 minute ago, Luca72c said:

Here is the command session:

GentooPlayerBBB ~ # rc-service networkaudiod stop
 * Stopping networkaudiod ...  

GentooPlayerBBB ~ # cd /tmp

GentooPlayerBBB /tmp # wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/bullseye/networkaudiod_4.5.0-57_armhf.deb
--2023-11-02 18:42:00--  https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/bullseye/networkaudiod_4.5.0-57_armhf.deb
Resolving www.signalyst.eu... 91.150.61.42
Connecting to www.signalyst.eu|91.150.61.42|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 220756 (216K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘networkaudiod_4.5.0-57_armhf.deb’

networkaudiod_4.5.0-57_armhf. 100%[================================================>] 215.58K   480KB/s    in 0.4s    

2023-11-02 18:42:01 (480 KB/s) - ‘networkaudiod_4.5.0-57_armhf.deb’ saved [220756/220756]

GentooPlayerBBB /tmp # tar xf data.tar.xz usr/sbin/networkaudiod
tar: data.tar.xz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

you are not giving the commands as I posted them, before tar there is another command

5 hours ago, bilboda said:

Somewhat new issue, hqplayer will not output pcm converted to dsd. i have used HQP4 and HQP5 and this was not an issue until sometime recently.  Familiar with the settings and all appear to be correct and unchanged. Set to sdm but it uses the pcm settings. The upgrade copied the hqp4 settings but still pcm only gets played. Fresh install? Or something I am missing?

I have had this occur and reinstalled the DAC USB / ASIO driver, which solved the issue. YMMV.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

2 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

you are not giving the commands as I posted them, before tar there is another command

Ah, sorry but my eyes are becoming every day worse in reading...

That's the last commands results:

GentooPlayerBBB /tmp # ar x networkaudiod_4.5.0-57_armhf.deb

GentooPlayerBBB /tmp # tar xf data.tar.xz

GentooPlayerBBB /tmp # usr/sbin/networkaudiod
[usr/sbin/networkaudiod] (4243): networkaudiod Copyright (C) 2011-2023 Jussi Laako / Signalyst. All rights reserved.
[usr/sbin/networkaudiod] (4243): create alsa engine
[usr/sbin/networkaudiod] (4243): listen discovery on ::
[usr/sbin/networkaudiod] (4243): listen discovery on 0.0.0.0

After the last command, the cursor stays at the beginning of next line, without the "GentooPlayerBBB" line header (i can write anyway, but commands are not executed).

What should i do? It's ok?

3 minutes ago, Luca72c said:

[usr/sbin/networkaudiod] (4243): networkaudiod Copyright (C) 2011-2023 Jussi Laako / Signalyst. All rights reserved.

After the last command, the cursor stays at the beginning of next line, without the "GentooPlayerBBB" line header (i can write anyway, but commands are not executed).

Yes, it is up and running. Now when you run HQPlayer, you should see report that the NAA has received the discovery message, etc. Assuming your current backend is NAA. If not, you should see this when you open settings and select NAA backend.

17 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, it is up and running. Now when you run HQPlayer, you should see report that the NAA has received the discovery message, etc. Assuming your current backend is NAA. If not, you should see this when you open settings and select NAA backend.

Correct, now it works ok.

Thank you antonellocaroli and thank you Miska!

On 10/31/2023 at 2:09 AM, Miska said:

I have also two HS02's now, but I have not tested those yet. The slightly annoying part is the need for external PSU and the question how well that is isolated from the output. Not huge fan of having one extra variable in the critical path...

Reading the specs of the HS02 the external PSU is only needed when the connected USB device (DAC) requires 5V - the HS02 itself is powered through USB from the host computer.

With Intonas 7055 series it's actually similar: there's an optional AUX power connection to feed the connected USB device if its current requirements exceeds 500mA. Up to 500mA no external power supply is required. Plus: the Intonas outgoing 5V voltage is linear.

Intona devices are made for industrial and medical usage and such - back then when I bought my first Intona I appreciated the fact Intona has nothing to do with audio 😁

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

31 minutes ago, copy_of_a said:

With Intonas 7055 series it's actually similar: there's an optional AUX power connection to feed the connected USB device if its current requirements exceeds 500mA. Up to 500mA no external power supply is required. Plus: the Intonas outgoing 5V voltage is linear.

For example the 7055-C which is one of the models I'm using says:

• up to 900mA output current on isolated side
  • Ultra-quiet power rail isolation for less noise in highly sensitive applications (< 1 µV RMS @ 22 kHz BW)

900 mA is what USB 3.0 SuperSpeed connector can provide as standard. 500 mA is what USB 2.0 HiSpeed connector can provide as standard.

• 1kV DC Isolation of USB 3.0 part
  • 5kV RMS Isolation of USB 2.0 part

DC isolation is 1 kV and AC isolation is 5 kV.

31 minutes ago, copy_of_a said:

Intona devices are made for industrial and medical usage and such - back then when I bought my first Intona I appreciated the fact Intona has nothing to do with audio 😁

Yeah, Topping is stating all kinds of audio format stuff on their HS02 page, which is not at all relevant for USB isolator. Isolator doesn't know if you have a DAC or a keyboard behind the isolator. But for example they don't state anything about the current supply capacity...

56 minutes ago, copy_of_a said:

Reading the specs of the HS02 the external PSU is only needed when the connected USB device (DAC) requires 5V - the HS02 itself is powered through USB from the host computer.

Not quite. Without external PSU it still powers connected devices, but I'm not sure till how much mA. Maybe more than Intona, but I did not find it clearly specified.

I just tried to power 2.5" classical old 2TB magnetic HDD and it works - it is recognized, spinning and I can browse the filesystem.

I disconnected the disk and added yet 3 iSilencers in series behind HS02. That was too much. But with 2 iSilencers the HDD disk is still recognized and I can browse it.

Currently I have no USB powered DAC at home, so I cannot help more. Or is there any app, which is able to measure power consumption over specific USB port?

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
8 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

Plus: the Intonas outgoing 5V voltage is linear.

The same for HS02. It filters+isolates either computer power or external power.

User manual states it is able to provide 800mA output current. That's 100 mA less than max. power USB3.0 port can supply. Maybe 100mA is then HS02 power consumption. But that's only my construction.

HS02 is USB2.0 compliant when its input port is in data mode (selected by mechanical switch). Computer supplied current through USB 2.0 port is max. 500 mA.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
17 minutes ago, bogi said:

The same for HS02. It filters+isolates either computer power or external power.

User manual states it is able to provide 800mA output current. That's 100 mA less than max. power USB3.0 port can supply. Maybe 100mA is then HS02 power consumption. But that's only my construction.

HS02 is USB2.0 compliant when its input port is in data mode (selected by mechanical switch). Computer supplied current through USB 2.0 port is max. 500 mA.

I had emailed Topping a couple months ago about the power capabilities of the HS02 for use with a usb powered Topping DX1.  The DX1 doesn't draw much power so they said it would work, but still recommended external power supply for the HS02.

RME tested the HS02 and said it uses a Mornsun DC/DC converter with about 1nF of coupling compared to the Intona at 10  pf coupling.

I'm not sure if the Mornsun converter is bypassed with an external supply.

RME also tested the Hifime USB Isolator V2 2023 - provides 500ma with 71pf coupling.  Not sure I like the unshielded plastic case though.

9 hours ago, Luca72c said:

Then if it works, restart the BBB and repeat the operation with a couple more commands:

cd /tmp
wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/bullseye/networkaudiod_4.5.0-57_armhf.deb
tar xf data.tar.xz
cp -R usr/sbin/networkaudiod /usr/sbin/
rc-update add netwokaudiod
rc-service networkaudiod start

you should be OK now.

So...I need to figure something out that has been bothering me. I've been using Hqplayer 5 for months now..... pretty much DSD 512 all the time. 

I've recently been using DSD 256, but now I get a random quick pop sound while playing. This NEVER happened with 512, but happens at least once every song on 256.

Any advice on how to fix this?

I use Qobuz, Roon, Spring 3 DAC through USB.

thanks

9 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

Then if it works, restart the BBB and repeat the operation with a couple more commands:

cd /tmp
wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/bullseye/networkaudiod_4.5.0-57_armhf.deb
tar xf data.tar.xz
cp -R usr/sbin/networkaudiod /usr/sbin/
rc-update add netwokaudiod
rc-service networkaudiod start

you should be OK now.

I get this at the penultimate command line:

GentooPlayerBBB /tmp # rc-update add networkaudiod
 * rc-update: networkaudiod already installed in runlevel `default'; skipping

It's ok?

Hi Everyone,

I've been using Hqplayer on my Mac, with the Dirac Live Processor utility and DLBC. The config is stereo + 4 subwoofers. The connected device is actually an AV Receiver, which has Dirac built in but doesnt have DLBC functionality (which is why Im using the Mac and Dirac utility). I set the Dirac utility to output to Blackhole 16ch, and set HQPlayer to use that as input, with the AV receiver set to output. The setup works fine. 

I do have a stereo DAC that sounds a lot better than the AV receiver, so today, I tried creating an aggregate device from my stereo DAC and AV Receiver.  The stereo channels are assigned to the DAC, while the 4 subs are connected to the AV receiver. The Dirac filters created fine with Dirac Live Processor using the DAC + Receiver aggregate device directly. Playback of music through the Dirac utility works fine also - all connected channels working properly.  However, if I now use the Dirac utility to output to Blackhole 16ch and try to play music through HQPlayer to the aggregate device, it only outputs to the DAC. Is there something else I need to do in order for the 4 subwoofer channels to map correctly through HQPlayer as part of the aggregate device or is there a limitation of some kind associated with aggregate audio devices?

Best Regards

Raja

7 hours ago, Audionumber3 said:

So...I need to figure something out that has been bothering me. I've been using Hqplayer 5 for months now..... pretty much DSD 512 all the time. 

I've recently been using DSD 256, but now I get a random quick pop sound while playing. This NEVER happened with 512, but happens at least once every song on 256.

Any advice on how to fix this?

I use Qobuz, Roon, Spring 3 DAC through USB.

Limited counter is staying 0 at all times? Your HQPlayer volume is not at least set to any higher than -3 dBFS?

What kind of settings are you using when this happens?

It could be also lost USB packets, that will sound like a dust particle on vinyl.

54 minutes ago, Raja said:

I do have a stereo DAC that sounds a lot better than the AV receiver, so today, I tried creating an aggregate device from my stereo DAC and AV Receiver.  The stereo channels are assigned to the DAC, while the 4 subs are connected to the AV receiver. The Dirac filters created fine with Dirac Live Processor using the DAC + Receiver aggregate device directly. Playback of music through the Dirac utility works fine also - all connected channels working properly.  However, if I now use the Dirac utility to output to Blackhole 16ch and try to play music through HQPlayer to the aggregate device, it only outputs to the DAC. Is there something else I need to do in order for the 4 subwoofer channels to map correctly through HQPlayer as part of the aggregate device or is there a limitation of some kind associated with aggregate audio devices?

I don't know how you've set up the aggregate device. But ignoring this detail, is HQPlayer set up to output correct number of channels? And channel assignments are correct in matrix?

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Limited counter is staying 0 at all times? Your HQPlayer volume is not at least set to any higher than -3 dBFS?

What kind of settings are you using when this happens?

It could be also lost USB packets, that will sound like a dust particle on vinyl.

First off, The only thing I change to play DSD 256 is the modulator from asdm7ec-super 512-fs to regular asdm7ec-super.....and to bit rate 48k x256.

I use the default filters with adaptive rate and 48k DSD checked.

It does kind of sound like a record pop.... I'm just confused why only when using DSD 256?

My volume is set to -6.9 because I run a convolution filter, and I have not noticed any limited counter.

Thanks

Hi Miska,

Thank you for the reply. 

The original hqplayer output setting for just the receiver was 8-channel, playing stereo + 4 independent subs. Hqplayer set to 8-channel dac and 44100/8 config for the playback setting. This requires no matrix configuration to work with hqplayer, which is expected, I suppose. For reference, the Dirac processor utility holds all of the filter profiles. The configuration of the Dirac processor is stereo + 4 subs. The macOS output config is Dirac live processor. The chain is Dirac live processor>blackhole 16ch>haplayer>av receiver. 

For the aggregate setup, I’ve tried using up to 10-channel anccordingly and have tried activating the matrix with a few combos running across channels 3-10, but I’m not sure how that “mixing” should be done. After trying a few combos with it, I didn’t manage to get the other channels to work and wasn’t sure what should mix to what.

Technically, there are six channels being output by Dirac live processor and it’s still set to the same stereo + 4 subs config as just using the 8-channel receiver on its own. The output chain is still configured to Dirac live processor>blackhole 16ch>haplayer>av receiver.

According to macOS, channels 1 & 2 of the aggregate device are the L & R stereo outputs, those two work and are correctly sent to the stereo usb dac by hqplayer. Assuming matrix setup is needed for an aggregate setup like this, do I just need to try and find out which of channels 3-10 have the 4 subwoofer outputs on them, and then set/send those channels to an appropirate “mix” channel? Given I have no filters to import into hqplayer, I’m wondering if it’s just as simple as manipulating the channel/mix combos until I chance upon something that works - as in source channel 3 mix to x or whatever..

-Raja