IGNORED

HQ Player

43 minutes ago, Miska said:

But I still ask myself what purpose those graphs would actually serve? Which way it would be actually useful?

Sometimes pictures say more than words. It would help to understand what the descriptions of the filters in the manual mean. Something like slow- or sharp-roll-off.

I would not publish the diagrams in the manual. I would find a folder on the Signalyst server with filter diagrams useful. 

14 minutes ago, Zauurx said:

Please, can you explain the impact of the FFT setting? and its impact depending on the choice of modulators/filters/convolution/SDM/music ?
512 / 1024 or much more ??

It is length selection for the FFT filter. Now the filter is available also for SDM oversampling. The filter has been around for PCM for ages, and the configuration value has been in the settings file, but always been set to the default 512. I just thought I'd make it available in the settings dialog now that there is some extra space in the GUI. Default value of 512 is good. I personally wouldn't go below 256 or above 2048. It only affects steepness of the filter. Longer the filter, faster the roll-off. Smaller values gives gentler roll-off curve.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

It is length selection for the FFT filter. Now the filter is available also for SDM oversampling. The filter has been around for PCM for ages, and the configuration value has been in the settings file, but always been set to the default 512. I just thought I'd make it available in the settings dialog now that there is some extra space in the GUI. Default value of 512 is good. I personally wouldn't go below 256 or above 2048. It only affects steepness of the filter. Longer the filter, faster the roll-off. Smaller values gives gentler roll-off curve.

So number of "taps."

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

It's filter is pretty ordinary.

For some reason filters get a lot of attention, but modulators rarely get any mention. Although that is other 50% of the DAC digital side performance.

Thank you very much for another very instructive post

on Wingless Angels (tested with Tambaqui by Stereophile) hb xs yields impressively fast yet deep percussions though you say it's ordinary !

on the Horowitz tested by Stereophile it lacks density imo

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Hi Miska, this maybe a silly question. Let’s say I am already using a very long filter like Sinc Long or Sinc Mx, could increasing the fft value makes the filters even longer are they are different filters altogether?

8 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

Hi Miska, this maybe a silly question. Let’s say I am already using a very long filter like Sinc Long or Sinc Mx, could increasing the fft value makes the filters even longer are they are different filters altogether?

It only affects filter called "FFT", nothing else.

@Miska

Today I've played around with filters.

Transcoded some stuff (dirac impulses and music-cuts) through HQP Pro and found that poly-sinc-short (lp/mp) produces mirrored images.

Is ps-short not supposed to be apodizing?

44.1kHz/16 upsampled to 88.2kHz/24 (ps-short-lp):

ps_short.thumb.jpg.49fd57b4498f44f628f744217ecd1b99.jpg

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

21 minutes ago, copy_of_a said:

@Miska

Today I've played around with filters.

Transcoded some stuff (dirac impulses and music-cuts) through HQP Pro and found that poly-sinc-short (lp/mp) produces mirrored images.

Is ps-short not supposed to be apodizing?

It is apodizing, but as name says, it is short (very short) slow roll-off.

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

It is apodizing, but as name says, it is short (very short) slow roll-off.

ok, thanks!

But itsn't the main purpose of apodizing filters to surpress images?

I've compared ps-short to ps-gauss short and the latter produces even a little less images (due to higher attenuation I assume) although it is non-apodizing.

I am confused 😐

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

36 minutes ago, copy_of_a said:

But itsn't the main purpose of apodizing filters to surpress images?

No, it is to correct errors in the source data and replace the ADC decimation filter's impulse response with alternative one.

All filters are supposed to suppress images.

For example gauss-xla and gauss-xl both suppress images. But only former one is apodizing.

36 minutes ago, copy_of_a said:

I've compared ps-short to ps-gauss short and the latter produces even a little less images (due to higher attenuation I assume) although it is non-apodizing.

I am confused 😐

Yeah, it is not exactly black and white on borderline cases like these. I should actually mark gauss-short as apodizing as well. For some reason I have not... The two are quite similar - but different.

38 minutes ago, Miska said:

No, it is to correct errors in the source data and replace the ADC decimation filter's impulse response with alternative one.

All filters are supposed to suppress images.

For example gauss-xla and gauss-xl both suppress images. But only former one is apodizing.

Yeah, it is not exactly black and white on borderline cases like these. I should actually mark gauss-short as apodizing as well. For some reason I have not... The two are quite similar - but different.

Makes snese - many thanks 👍

@Miska I have multi-channel output from HQPlayer to my surround sound processor which is limited to 192kHz processing.  The SSP digital outputs are connected to a dac8Pro.  Most of the content that I am playing back is 48kHz or 44.1kHz.  I have been using Gauss1, but from the documentation several NS options, 1/4/9, could also get used.  From a theoretical standpoint, what would the best option be here?  I am also wondering how NS in HQPlayer would interact from presumably some additional NS that would be done in the ESS DAC.  Thx!

2 minutes ago, sumitc said:

@Miska I have multi-channel output from HQPlayer to my surround sound processor which is limited to 192kHz processing.  The SSP digital outputs are connected to a dac8Pro.  Most of the content that I am playing back is 48kHz or 44.1kHz.  I have been using Gauss1, but from the documentation several NS options, 1/4/9, could also get used.

If you are just doing conversion to 192k output, without additional processing such as volume control (more than the small about -3 dB headroom gain) or room correction or something else, using TPDF or Gauss1 dither is good option. You can also gain some increase in audio band SNR with noise-shapers, but for such case the additional headroom is not so critical since the SNR is anyway limited by the source content.

2 minutes ago, sumitc said:

From a theoretical standpoint, what would the best option be here?  I am also wondering how NS in HQPlayer would interact from presumably some additional NS that would be done in the ESS DAC.  Thx!

Since the HQPlayer PCM shapers are relatively gentle, and in this case additionally bandwidth limited, there's no interaction with the ESS modulator's noise shaping. They are on purpose designed such way that there are no negative interactions.

Hi,

I am new here and I am interested on HQplayer. I am more having fun playing music from digital atm. I am only streaming on Qobuz through my Lumin u1 mini to a tube DAC. But I want to change my lumin to the Denafrips Arce Streamer which is a Hqplayer NAA and get a Denafrips Dac as well.

I have a Macbook Air M1 8gb to plan to try with HQ player. How do I connect my MBA to the Arve streamer? MBA usb hardwired directly to the arce streamer or is there an option I can wireless stream from HQplayer using Qobuz to the Arce streamer?

sorry if I am kinda new to this because my Lumin has an app that I could just stream through my network wireless using Qobuz.

i am just confused if I just hardwire my laptop to the arce streamer then to the dac. Please advise. 

33 minutes ago, Miska said:

Here are plots for poly-sinc-short:

ps-short.png.dbe2e22e58da8efff8e3bff59372dd78.png

And poly-sinc-gauss-short:

gauss-short.png.315e0c2d2e40b8c60f96cea1e99a63f2.png

Both are specified for -192 dB stop-band attenuation matching 32-bit PCM accuracy. This way they are kept as short as possible while reaching very good reconstruction accuracy.

For standard 19.1 kHz image attenuation test tone used for example by Stereophile (see below) where image lands at 25 kHz, pretty much full attenuation is reached in both cases. And response is down by -26 dB at 22.05 kHz.

If we compare for example to Mola-Mola Tambaqui, which reaches about -36 dB attenuation by 25 kHz using such test tone (blue plot):

1221Molafig02.jpg

So Mola-Mola falls in category of slow roll-off. Although still not nearly as slow as MQA filter which is down only by -18 dB at same point. Or ESS slow roll-off which is down by -12 dB. These are however only down by -3 dB at 22.05 kHz (green line), so these are halfband filters and thus will have notable leak around Nyquist.

The real challenge is trying to figure out how a bunch of parameters affect reconstruction and conversion of digital so that it sounds drastically different and that truth seems out of reach. I doubt I could peak a filter and guess how it will fulfil my pleasure with given track by looking at graphs... But I avidly keep taking your insights

7 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Based on your publications in this forum, I have made a drawing. Corrections are welcome.

That explains the basic parameters (at least if you add passband ripple) in a traditional way. But it doesn't go into other differences between different filters that affect how it sounds.

7 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Another interesting question is the effectiveness of the modulators, which are supposed to be 50%. Can this be shown in a diagram?

One could show some basic figures in a similar way. It becomes sort of inverse of the graph you did. But it would tell even less about differences between modulators because they are much more complex animals than filters.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

You see that's why I have not been putting numbers and graphs to the manual. But instead overall textual descriptions and suggestions. Some number, or a graph don't really give a good answer. Answer is more complex, it would be long series of mathematical formulas.

do those formulas include (or even are made of) integral calculus ? I don't believe in (reasonable) rolloff accounting much for audible differences etc. I'm strictly profane there and am probably mathematically wrong (does not matter if in the end I learn, understand better)but the way I explain to myself the differences in sound comes from balance made (by you as of HQP) in the brackets/range of integrals, that in given cpu time, as well as window frame (in reference of what I understood of long filters caveats)not everything can be computed and that is what differs, shifting the consistency of the reproduced sound from an area to another, thus explaining personal and genre preferences, more than attenuation or rolloff. In instance do you play with the definition of "band limited" ? 

bonus question : what should we notice as bad wrong etc when apodizing counter goes berserk (542 counts in just over 4 minutes) ? I just enjoyed a track (sung pop with rich layers, minimum machine drumming ) with Sinc Medium and I preferred it over any apodizing I tried (psg long, xla, ext2...) I tried for its deeper yet more precise bass line ; is apodizing a factor that does not matter, passed a certain age whenever discussing whatever happens above 1X K Hz is moot ?