IGNORED

Bughead Emperor

supra

It appeared to me that the optimization is in using the appropriate SIMD instruction set.

I understood it as using the optimal instruction set to handle the data transfer to the CPU memory.

I'm sure Yokota San has his reasons to use these instructions. Here, his work on BH must have helped him decide upon this.

So, if you look at how data is stored on an HDD, you'll find that what we call 'digital' data is actually stored in an analogue manner, with magnetic elements aligned in a certain direction.

Under correction from someone like John Swenson who knows this better:

Now, to determine if a region on the surface represents a 0 or a 1, there's a circuit in the HDD which will have to work a lot to amplify these signals that are represented on the surface platter as these are tiny signals. So you could have analogue values A1, A2, An, and all these have to be first amplified then compared to a threshold to determine whether they are a '1'.

This work done by the circuitry has inherent noise and this same noise can pollute the power planes in the computer, in turn affecting the power lines on the USB used for the DAC, in turn affecting the DAC chip and thus SQ.

Presumably, what Yokota found here is that the tiny elements and signals degrade with time, requiring more work from that amplifier circuit to determine the bits.

So, this is what Yokota started to try and solve with Rewrite Data: he uses his software to read the data, then rewrites it (in between he now uses some optimisations that he discovered when coding BH but that's not the original issue he wanted to resolve). On rewriting, the analogue levels freshly written on the platter are high enough that the amplifying circuits don't have to work as much, and thus don't create as much noise as before rewriting especially when you're doing async USB streaming of that data to a DAC which is not totally impervious to power planes noise issues (i.e. most of them).

Now, it follows that if just rewriting the data on the HDD suffices to reduce the accompanying noise during reading (data which is then transferred to memory before streaming), one should hear a similar effect by just a normal O.S.-level copy of the audio file.

This is a proxy test of Rewrite Data without using RD: take an old file you haven't touched in a long time: not moved, and then just do a copy of it. Compare the initial file with the copy.

Indeed, I tried this despite all my brain and knowledge telling me there *shouldn't* be any difference, and there is: I find it especially audible on the 'first kick'...

Do the actual instructions provide extra here? There could be a good reason for him to do so, so hopefully we get him to answer directly, but as English isn't his mother tongue, it's difficult. I suppose the memory optimisation he found for BH also help by making those analogue signals even better, but without him saying so explicitly it's hard to know for sure.

I am fairly sure if he hadn't found any difference, the actual instructions wouldn't matter much.

Perhaps Minorisuke on the jplay forum can help being an intermediate.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I see you've been taking those classes in belittling and condescension seriously.

I have not need to take those classes: you are doing all the ridiculing of yourself by yourself.

It's something to be slow.

It's another level altogether to be dumb and be arrogant about it.

Now, if you haven't found anything interesting in this thread or any others that I recommended and have nothing intelligent to say, let me know as I'll be glad to add you to my Ignore List so that you can join the other trolls like trithio, prot, kumakuma and more.

This way, the noise from people like you will die down, and the intelligent signals from people like John Swenson, Miska, Alex, Jabr, will reach me unperturbed and more frequently.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Windows only.

Two easy questions ...

Does it work on Linux Ubuntu 16.04 ?

Where should I download the suggested versions for Linux and Windows too ?

Have a nice day. Massimiliano

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I have some Dsf 256 files from HDTT.

When I chose them in BHE it defaults to 352 PCM. If I keep that output they play fine as PCM. If I chose raw DSD output instead I get huge dropouts on playback. Seems odd that playback in native format is worse than transcoding to PCM.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? My only guess is maybe that when selecting raw DSD output, BHE is actually transcoding first from DSD to PCM when loading into RAM and then back to DSD in real time on replay.

My PC has no problem playing native 256 via HQP etc or indeed transcoding any PCM to DSD256.

hi Norton

had the same Problem,increase the buffersize of the asio-Driver did it.

shpongle

Gigabyte-GA-Z97 Sniper with separate usb-dac out,5v usb-power disabeld in Bios. i3 4130T(35 W)@800mhz,16gb ram@800mhz @1.25v. Cpu+Ram powered by Pico-160w+Voltcraft Lab.PSU.

Cpu-Fan+Music Hdd with 2 separate  LPsu. JLsounds Dac-Kit: USB-I2S XMOS-board+ AK4490 DAC+DVR603 FB+2 JLS LPSU. Player: wtfplay and Daphile

Tubeamp: Lua 4040 C . LS: Chario Academy II. Conections/Filters: Reson DNM / Fisch Audio.

Two easy questions ...

Does it work on Linux Ubuntu 16.04 ?

Where should I download the suggested versions for Linux and Windows too ?

You could try installing on Ubuntu through WINE.

I have successfully installed BugHead Green through WINE on macOS and it sounds fantastic. BHG doesn't do DSD.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? My only guess is maybe that when selecting raw DSD output, BHE is actually transcoding first from DSD to PCM when loading into RAM and then back to DSD in real time on replay.

I don't think it would do that (first transcoding to PCM) as that would be quite lossy.

I have successfully installed BugHead Green through WINE on macOS and it sounds fantastic. BHG doesn't do DSD.

This morning I did a short test with my Mac/VMware but I discovered that BHE doesn't work with Windows7 (the only Windows .ISO I own) ... :-(

In the meantime I grab a Dell mobile workstation M6700 i7/32GB that should be a good platform for BHE. What's the suggested Win10 version for audio purposes ?

With Win10, it should be ok to jump in with the current version, 7.81 as of yesterday. There was a point when Hiro made a switch to a Win 10 focus (almost a requirement) in his programming. It's somewhere back in the 6.xx versions, maybe 5.xx. Leafing through the JPlay forum last March or April or so I think will find it. It was a point of contention at the time, because Hiro hadn't included Win Server 2012 in his filtering initially and one of the group had to lobby him about that, but didn't include Win 8 in his efforts. If you find it, ask there or here, because some of us still have the older files.

This morning I did a short test with my Mac/VMware but I discovered that BHE doesn't work with Windows7 (the only Windows .ISO I own) ... :-(

I am using 6.49 on Win7. Message me if you need the install file.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Indeed, I tried this despite all my brain and knowledge telling me there *shouldn't* be any difference, and there is: I find it especially audible on the 'first kick'...

Do the actual instructions provide extra here? There could be a good reason for him to do so, so hopefully we get him to answer directly, but as English isn't his mother tongue, it's difficult. I suppose the memory optimisation he found for BH also help by making those analogue signals even better, but without him saying so explicitly it's hard to know for sure.

The part of this that has always confused me is the making a copy of a music file to then run rewrite data on. Letting Windows handle copying any file has long been recognized as far from ideal. Much like xeroxing a document the imprinted data begins to fade on the original and grows fainter with every copy. How he then improves on the copy is a sign of his artistry. It is feasible the original could be offline on another drive. Which forgoes the possibility rewrite data follows internal links to verify there are no errors.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth I suppose

hi Norton

had the same Problem,increase the buffersize of the asio-Driver did it.

shpongle

Thanks I think I already tried that but will try again. I realised that buffer size seems important for BHE and certainly had to reduce buffer size to get normal RBCD working without the "metronome" sounds mentioned on JPlay forum.

The part of this that has always confused me is the making a copy of a music file to then run rewrite data on.

I don't think anyone suggested doing this...

RD will do the copy for you.

You can test RD's effect by a proxy test of doing an OS copy of the file without using RD, that's all I was suggesting for people who can't wrap their heads around it or for people who have no issue with better SQ despite most of us not having the capacity to explain it all.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I am currently trying to use Bug head for the first time, but after trying to install on Windows 10, the program won't start.

But to be honest, I am not sure I am doing the installation correctly. I downloaded the "package_20170121_Bughead" from the creator's website, but upon unzipping it is not clear to me how to proceed, i.e. which one is the installation exe.

Could any of you fellow forum members point me in the right direction? I am currently using Foobar and JRiver but after reading so many good comments on BugHead, I am looking forward to trying this.

Thank you