IGNORED

Objectivist On Fire

...is a track on the new Bayside album, Cult.

Depending on your perspective, I suppose this could refer to an objectivist making a convincing argument for the influence of bias, or one literally being set on fire. ;)

Also, my phone just tried to auto-correct "objectivist" to "vivisectionist."

Build a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.

Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Nothing keeps me warm quite like a live dissection of my favorite music. It is the best way to fully appreciate the sounds of the organs.

In Europe, we're dissecting Giraffes instead.

Marius the giraffe killed at Copenhagen zoo despite worldwide protests | World news | The Guardian

Days like that makes me extra proud to be Danish!

No pink Disney lies, but a serious and scientific event teaching families about animals and biodiversity.

The zoo's scientific director Bengt Holst has my full respect.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Viking Zoos are always more educational. Let's hope he doesn't end up in British lasagna

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/world/europe/anger-erupts-over-danish-zoos-decision-to-put-down-a-giraffe.html?_r=0

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Days like that makes me extra proud to be Danish!

No pink Disney lies, but a serious and scientific event teaching families about animals and biodiversity.

The zoo's scientific director Bengt Holst has my full respect.

It would be more educational if they killed and chopped up and fed to the Lions the people who in-bred the giraffe in the first place. As if they couldn't have just neutered the thing like everyone is (or is supposed to) do with dogs and cats.

It would be more educational if they killed and chopped up and fed to the Lions the people who in-bred the giraffe in the first place. As if they couldn't have just neutered the thing like everyone is (or is supposed to) do with dogs and cats.

Apparently they don't have much to be proud of in Denmark.

I don't agree. Pete is entitled to express his opinion.

I was referring to your post, not Pete's.

I thought racial slurs were not encouraged here?

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

I think the point was a criticism of taking pride in this event, and perhaps a criticism of the event and the policy behind it as well, which reasonable people can disagree on and express disagreement on. I don't read this as an ethnic slur. BTW, IMO Denmark has a lot to be proud of, just not this.

1. There was nothing racial in my comment

2. I am not sure how serious he is with these types of posts, but Pete has pulled a similar stunt on this board before.

3. If you are going to let the horse out of the barn, you have no cause to bitch if you get kicked in the teeth.

Now Don, I could say you that I resent the implication of your post and tell you to get stuffed you flash PC git. But I would never do that. Please rest assured, however, if I did, I would be directing that comment to your personally, and in no way would I be meaning to offend the New Zealand race.

Thanks Don Hills.

I DNFTT - my choice.

You really are an annoying sort of passive/aggressive type, aren't you?

I am surprised that you didn't find a way to work in a dismissal of all us idiots on this board, who still use passive systems, while waxing poetic on a bad publicity stunt

... Now Don, I could say you that I resent the implication of your post and tell you to get stuffed you flash PC git. But I would never do that. Please rest assured, however, if I did, I would be directing that comment to your personally, and in no way would I be meaning to offend the New Zealand race.

... but you didn't direct your comment towards Pete personally. You directed it towards the population of Denmark in general. My comment was not motivated by any sense of political correctness, merely a sense of fair play.

"Streisand Effect", anyone?

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

... but you didn't direct your comment towards Pete personally. You directed it towards the population of Denmark in general. My comment was not motivated by any sense of political correctness, merely a sense of fair play.

The population of Denmark (i.e., Danes) is not a race.

The comment, at worst, is anti-Nationalistic.

Well giraffes are cute, but in what way is its life intrinsically more worthwhile than the millions of animals humanity channels through its abattoirs every day? After a life in captivity, it would probably have stood little chance released onto the plains of Africa, and its genetic complement was superfluous to the needs of the captive breeding program.

Disclaimer: I don't eat animals.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I directed to where the zoo was located. Would "next to Norway" have worked better?

Well giraffes are cute, but in what way is its life intrinsically more worthwhile than the millions of animals humanity channels through its abattoirs every day? After a life in captivity, it would probably have stood little chance released onto the plains of Africa, and its genetic complement was superfluous to the needs of the captive breeding program.

Disclaimer: I don't eat animals.

Are you talking about animals here, or audiophiles?

Are you talking about animals here, or audiophiles?

Well I certainly wouldn't eat your average audiophile. They tend to be old and tough. Even if I got one that seemed to taste OK, I would need a gas chromatogram to convince me it wasn't expectation bias.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I've re-thought my position on this. They should have fed the baby giraffe live to the lions, after baptizing it as a Christian.

Now that's Objectivist On Fire :D

Isn't culling of surplus animals already a common practice in captive breading programs. So you're right, the giraffe isn't intrinsically more worthwhile than other food animal. That's reality. But I understand the same zoo association that set these strict no inbreeding rules would turn a blind eye on special cases like white tigers. Apparently there are animals with elevated status, but the giraffes aren't cute/valuable enough to reach that level.

I guess the difference in this case is that somebody is trying to take the opportunity to pull a publicity stunt. I mean they even posted video with this zoo keeper explaining how he hold the giraffe's favorite bread in one hand so while the giraffe was eating the bread, its head was at the exact right place for him to use the gun in his other hand to blow the guy's brain out. Is this really necessary? And when the publicity backfired around the world, they started spinning it into a national, the world doesn't understand us, kind of thing. The fact that surplus giraffes exist in the first place is a management issue. Having the whole thing acted out on internet is rather bizarre if you ask me.

Also, the reason for dissecting the animal in public and announcement that it will be fed to the lions is also interesting. Applying that line of logic further, I really don't see why it's shouldn't be done as Prof. Scott suggested above. It's efficient, educational, and most of all completely natural. Totally rational, oops, I mean... Objective :)