IGNORED

Travel Headphone options

I tried the QC3 at 3 different stores - each the same - awful, muffled sound.

try 'em on an airplane and then let us know....

A couple years ago, I tried multiple pairs on the plane before settling on the QC25.

My conclusion was how they sound in the store was pretty immaterial as to how they sound at 35,000 feet.

I do intend to test the QC35 the same way.... my one concern is I've seen bluetooth

signals cross - coincidentally - in an airport lounge - as different sets picked up the wrong signal. I'm guessing someone didn't have their setting correct.

try 'em on an airplane and then let us know....]A couple years ago, I tried multiple pairs on the plane before settling on the QC25. My conclusion was how they sound in the store was pretty immaterial as to how they sound at 35,000 feet. I do intend to test the QC35 the same way.... my one concern is I've seen bluetooth

signals cross - coincidentally - in an airport lounge - as different sets picked up the wrong signal. I'm guessing someone didn't have their setting correct.

I've had the QC1, QC2, QC25, QC35 - all very good. But the QC3 is one of the worst sounding headphones I've heard, and I've owned more than 150 headphones. One bad sample I wouldn't judge, but I tried 3.

• 1 month later...

One aspect in addition to the sound that is important to me: travelability-portability.

A lot of these phones are bulky and have a relatively massive case. For me that's a no go.

I need something that fits in my carry-on without taking up too much space, and is still fairly well protected.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

One aspect in addition to the sound that is important to me: travelability-portability. A lot of these phones are bulky and have a relatively massive case. For me that's a no go. I need something that fits in my carry-on without taking up too much space, and is still fairly well protected.

One great option, though it is not noise canceling, is this Beyerdynamic case for the DTX501p, and the Thinksound On1 or On2. Great headphone, fair isolation, and a very small thin case.

preview.jpg

For airplane 1st Bose QC20 but also love my Shure 530 ( much better sound quality but the isolation trick of the Bose more than makes it for the sound differences). These Bose were one of the best money spent ever it reduced flight fatigue in more than 50%... mandatory for long flights and can't imagine travelling without them.

Better would be a real in ear with the same noise canceling technology but better sound like the Shure... do not know if those exist.

• 3 months later...

Just to add something significant. Latelly found the missing link with these headphones. While buying some Comply tips for other earphones I discovered that the "Isolation T400" do work with these Bose QC20 and man is it an improvement? yes, yes, yes, even better isolation and way better sound. Highly recommended. The caveat are the "nails" in the QC tube but provided you are careful when puting the thing in the ears these will not bother...I had been wishing for such a solution for years as the ear pieces of these earphones are quite crappy in isolating the external noise.

my two cents...plane trips got even quieter!!!

Haven't tried these newer/bigger/presumably better models, but I have for years used a combination of the Etymotic ER4P's and the Sennheiser PXC-250's or equivalent. The Senns are bit more comfortable but with noise cancellation that's just pretty good, while the Etymotics are more accurate, seal well so that noise-cancellation is unnecessary, thus producing a more accurate reproduction at the cost of some long-term use discomfort. Just my two cents . . .

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not a regular headphone user but I have recently purchased a pair of Sony MDR-1000X headphones I really like them.
Very good noise reduction with useful settings such as voice or environment nosies can be heard while the NC is active. I have the voice setting active which makes it easier to talk on the phone or to hear the announcements on the train!
And, of course, very good sound, really impressed with it. I'm enjoying the sound more than my Sennheiser Momentum 2.
Bluetooth works very nicely too.

Best.
Mev

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!