IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

Update from Sony on update for HAPZ -

[h=2]Using a USB digital audio device (USB Digital Output)[/h]While a Sony USB digital audio device (USB DAC), such as TA-ZH1ES orCAS-1, is connected to the EXT port on the back of the HDD AUDIO PLAYER, you can output audio signals to the connected USB digital audio device for music playback.

• Connect a USB digital audio device to the EXT port on the back of theHDD AUDIO PLAYER.
  • Select [settings] - [Audio Settings] from the Home screen.
  • Select [uSB Digital Output].
  • Select [Auto].

[h=4]Descriptions of menu settings[/h]Selectable menu items are described below.

Auto:If a USB digital audio device is connected, audio signals are output to the connected device for playback. If not, audio signals are output to the devices connected to the analog output terminals (LINE OUT UNBALANCED(analog: unbalanced output) L/R jacks and LINE OUT BALANCED (analog: balanced output) L/R jacks) via the built-in D/A converter of the HDD AUDIO PLAYER (factory default setting).Off:Audio signals are always output to the devices connected to the analog output terminals (LINE OUT UNBALANCED (analog: unbalanced output) L/Rjacks and LINE OUT BALANCED (analog: balanced output) L/R jacks) via the built-in D/A converter of the HDD AUDIO PLAYER, regardless of whether a USB digital audio devices is connected.[h=4]DSD Output (DoP) settings[/h]While [uSB Digital Output] is set to [Auto], you can turn on or off the DSD Output (DoP) function.

On:Enables playback of music files in the DSD formats with the connected USB digital audio device. Select this item if the connected USB audio device supports DoP transfer.Off:Disables playback of music files in the DSD formats with the connected USB digital audio device. Music files in the DSD formats are skipped for playback (factory default setting).

[h=4]Note[/h]

• Some USB digital audio devices may not work for playback.

• While the USB Digital Output function is set to [Auto] and audio signals are being output to the connected USB digital audio device, signal output through the analog output terminals (LINE OUT UNBALANCED (analog: unbalanced output) L/R jacks and LINE OUT BALANCED (analog: balanced output) L/R jacks) is disabled.
  • You cannot output audio signals, which are input from the audio device connected to the input jacks on the HDD AUDIO PLAYER, to the connected USB digital audio device for playback because they are designed to be sent to the analog output terminals on the HDD AUDIO PLAYER at all times.

• You cannot use a USB digital audio device to play the contents that are unavailable for playback (grayed out) on the HDD AUDIO PLAYER

• 1 month later...

LIMITED DATA ABILITY:

What I believe we are missing here is not storage capacity but the very limited data processing capabilities of the Hap-Z1es.

After formatting using the secret Sony formula (secret sauce) and loading 44,000 files onto a 6TB external HD using the HAP Music Transfer APP (took 3 days and that's using a new top tier Dell & CAT-7: those damn DSD files are huge) I discovered that the Sony HAP cannot process more than 20,000 files.

If my OPPO-105D can process an unlimited amount of files from up to 3 HDD's plugged in simultaneously, it is disappointing that the HAP-Z1es can only handle 20,000 files.

Beach Life

this mod can be done with just a screwdriver

the internal cage can fit a pretty large drive (it will fit a 15MM 4tb), but there seems to be a limitation in the OS for 2TB max for the internal drive, some are using SSDs, but without TRIM support, might make it slower

Thank you. I'm lo-tech and have got a lot to learn. My HAP-Z1ES arrives next Thursday. I'm guessing that FW update is my first move.

YEA!!! I hope you are correct. I ordered a 4TB internal 2.5 (same exterior dimensions as original) HD from Amazon but have not installed it yet. When that how-to article was written, the largest SATA 2.5 was the 2TB. Now, of course, they go to 6TB & probably beyond.

I have the latest FW. I am going to "force" a re-read for the HAP registry. Fingers crossed.

You have made my day! Thank you!!!!!

Beach Life

If there is a new FW, as soon as the HAP boots up a "FW Update" message appears (as long as you are linked to internet via Ethernet or wireless). That is what happen for me anyway.

yep, have done 2 of them already

forget using the 4tb internally, won't work, it'll only format up to 2TB

i also tried formatting the drive externally (which works) and installing it internally, but as soon as you start using it...it will become corrupt

others have said they have used linux tools on their pc and copy (which is way faster), then you just rescan after install...this did not work for me

Thank you. I'm lo-tech and have got a lot to learn. My HAP-Z1ES arrives next Thursday. I'm guessing that FW update is my first move.

yeah it's easy

pick up a 2TB right away

you remove case screws

touch metal to make sure you get rid of any ground static before you touch any circuitry

there's 2 ribbon cables that need to be carefully removed and you can remove the cage

the old drive comes out really easy, reverse and reset to factory settings...enjoy your doubled space

i have had my hap for some months now and have sent 1000s of 1000s of songs, DSFs, 192khz, mp3s etc, 50000+ and still have many many GB of room left

it's a fantastic sounding player, especially shitty mp3s, but the OS is DOG slow

have a feeling the more you put on, the slower it'll get too

but overall, the sound is well worth it

now to save for the new walkman

I guess I will have to send the 4TB back to Amazon and order a 2TB. Glad I did not open yet - still sealed.

It is odd though that the HAP will format a 6TB external HD but not the internal beyond 2TB.

I read about Linux Tools work-around somewhere but it is beyond my capabilities as I am completely unfamiliar with Linux except for having heard of it.

Thank you for helping me. You have been very kind.

Beach Life

I guess I will have to send the 4TB back to Amazon and order a 2TB. Glad I did not open yet - still sealed.

It is odd though that the HAP will format a 6TB external HD but not the internal beyond 2TB.

I read about Linux Tools work-around somewhere but it is beyond my capabilities as I am completely unfamiliar with Linux except for having heard of it.

Thank you for helping me. You have been very kind.

well they also prohibit a larger than 1TB drive in a PS3, so who knows with Sony

I did the same thing, although I went on ebay and bought a $9 external empty case (made sure it would fit the 15MM drive) and added that as external

the linux work around did not work for me

when i copied files to the drive (on a pc) and rescanned, the HAP did not find them

some guy also said he put a 4tb internal using that same method and yes, it did show the correct size (3.8TB)...but once i started to fill the drive after a few hundred mb, the songs wouldn't play ...been using the 2tb ever since and it's been rock solid

if i knew that TRIM was supported I would go for a 2tb SSD, those that put ssds in report it is faster, but it will be until you sstart to use it...the nature of an SSD does not free up deleted blocks until "housekeeping" is done (TRIM), for example if you put an SSD in a vista machine or a NON OEM SSD in a mac...the computer will eventually slow down worse than a HD...

as far as linux in a pc, you just need the drive

i used the one from here

http://www.paragon-drivers.com/extfs-windows/

it's good for android devices too

Screenshot_20161203-200052.png
LIMITED DATA ABILITY: What I believe we are missing here is not storage capacity but the very limited data processing capabilities of the Hap-Z1es. After formatting using the secret Sony formula (secret sauce) and loading 44,000 files onto a 6TB external HD using the HAP Music Transfer APP (took 3 days and that's using a new top tier Dell & CAT-7: those damn DSD files are huge) I discovered that the Sony HAP cannot process more than 20,000 files.If my OPPO-105D can process an unlimited amount of files from up to 3 HDD's plugged in simultaneously, it is disappointing that the HAP-Z1es can only handle 20,000 files.
Don't worry about data ability. I have 60000 of dsd and hires files into an external 8tb wd my book and there is no limitation at all. I agree it is a little bit slower than having a few thousand tracks but otherwise it works great and sounds beautifully.

DSC_0001.jpg

The PS Audio, in my view, sounds fuller. Especially, in the lower mids and mid-bass.

Thanks for the report. I guess my presumption has been that the HAP-Z1ES DAC is a weak link that could be improved significantly by using a quality USB DAC like the PS Audio unit you've mentioned. Still wondering, though, if the PS Audio upgrade provides good value. With the Directstream Jr. listing at $4K (double the list price for the Sony), one would hope for very significant improvement across the board.

Greetings, I need some help and wondering if anyone has experienced this. After 2 years of pretty much daily use if no issues, today I get nothing.

Select song, artist, sense-me etc and correct album/song comes up. Press play, green play button shows, but music refuses to play (shows 0.00 or 0.01 on the counter). When selecting internet station, correct station is identified and the wheel of death spins forever with no music. Same result whether using the hard buttons on the Sony or the app on the iPad.

I don't think it's a hard disc issue as I able to rip new music on my iMac and transfer correctly. I have also deleted songs correctly.

I'm on the latest ver # 0018033R. Internal drive has 636.9mg of space and external has 1.7T available. Total tracks are 15,862.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the report. I guess my presumption has been that the HAP-Z1ES DAC is a weak link that could be improved significantly by using a quality USB DAC like the PS Audio unit you've mentioned. Still wondering, though, if the PS Audio upgrade provides good value. With the Directstream Jr. listing at $4K (double the list price for the Sony), one would hope for very significant improvement across the board.

Tried USB to a Peachtree-300 last week and they sound very similar. So one would have to go to a higher end dac.