IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

for me, whenever i use drag and drop or use the hap util and set it to the max shut off time, it still shuts down in the middle of large file transfers...the only way I could get it to not shut down was by tuning in a radio station

with or without it playing, the transfer seemed to be the same speed (slow...)

I put Sleep setting to Off during transfers, to prevent that a small hang in the process copy does not trigger the shutdown after the countdown is elapsed.

say i were to purchase a firecuda and were to "clone" the internal (after removing it) to the new drive

i mount them both

what would the command be?

i guess one could just remove old drive, put new one in, reset, pull it out, drag and drop and then reinstall and rebuild

yes cloning then expand partition almost always works fine.

I would do it with partedmagic, or any good live distribution with gparted and clonezilla. Put it on a USB key, and boot from it.

command ?: mount /dev/sdY ; dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdY bs=64K conv=noerror,sync ; umount /dev/sdY of course :!

seriously with partedmagic or equivalent, you can do all steps with a GUI.

Hello,

**on windows system : (max. 12mo/s for the network drive share mapping with wired connection)

*I do not encourage to use third party ext drivers (even paragon) for writing to ext4 partitions from windows systems as it could lead to corrupt silently files, even folder or even the whole disk.

*you can bypass the use of HDD Audio software with the following solution :

*prefered way is to create a network drive share mapped to \\ip.of.your.HAP\HAP_Internal or \\HAP.ip.of.your.HAP\HAP_external in Windows file explorer. You can then drag and drop your files from windows file explorer.

That is certainly a different take on using Paragon than likearollingstone posted. I just downloaded the Paragon software but have not installed it yet. I was actually excited about using the Paragon software to the point that I was considering keeping the HAP-Z1es despite its mediocre sound quality.

Beach Life

That is certainly a different take on using Paragon than likearollingstone posted. I just downloaded the Paragon software but have not installed it yet. I was actually excited about using the Paragon software to the point that I was considering keeping the HAP-Z1es despite its mediocre sound quality.

Try Paragon, it may work, but I would definitely keep a backup of what you put on the drive you plug to HAP-Z1ES by this method.

Sad you find it sounds 'mediocre'. To my taste, it sounds good, it looks good, and it is built like a tank.

What other player/system would you consider, then ?

performance during transfer of files seems to be limited by the CPU of HAP-Z1ES.

*do not forget to stop any playback, as it slows the transfers. As alwways in computing, before transfering large chunk of music, make sure it does not play nor spotify nor TuneIn and reboot the player. This free the memory, and all the performance is allocated to the file transfer.

I wonder if anyone tried to consider the opportunity to mod the software part :

*if someone has a hint on what CPU is used, I'm interested. Heard it could be an i.Mx6.

See the Qobuz review, the CPU is under a metal sheet, dissipating heat, and apparently could not be removed.

http://www.qobuz.com/ie-en/info/hi-fi-guide/sony-hap-zies-qobuzism-for-this176298

*Heard the OS could be an OpenWRT, which is commonly used in routers. Confirmed by the open sources :

http://oss.sony.net/Products/Linux/Audio/HAP-S1.html

*would be interesting to add an http server mimicking the android application.

*is there a way to ssh into the system, this would permit to add a rsync server for example ?

*are there any open ports ?

*on the hardware part of the embedded PC :

*apparently the Altera Cyclon IV EPG4CGX30 FPGA is used to decode the DSD when playing DSD. Remember FPGA are programmable gates and you can reprogram it on the fly, to change its functions.

*in the SHARC DSP ADSP21488, you have IIR and FIR filters.

*apparently the SK Hynix H5TO1G63EFR points to a 1GB RAM module, but I did not find the precise model. The E seems also to indicate that Qobuz reviewed a Engineer sample.

*I wonder where are the clocks nowadays ? Is it provided by the Altera ?

btw, I upgraded the internal HDD to 2TB with no issues. It is a Firecuda ST2000LX001 hybrid SSHD, which includes a small 8GB SSD. Idle noise is only slightly more noticeable than the shipped HGST 1TB C5K1000-1000. No impact on the max transfer speed (top at 12mo/s, network wired) ; but file discovery, and scanning seems easier, so that mean transfer speed is improved.

I found the service manual, this is what the schematics actually includes :

Freescale i.Mx6 MCIMX6D5EYM10AC 1GHz Dual Core Cortex ARM A9 with a GPU2D and a GPU3D

2x Hynix H5TQ1G63EFR-H9CR 1GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 9-9-9

SAMSUNG KLM4G1FE3B-B001T03 Flash NAND 4GB MLC

Atheros AR8035-AL1A Ethernet 1Gbps

ALTERA Cyclone IV EP4CGX30BF14C8N FPGA 30000 portes

ADSP-21488KSWZ-3A1 ANALOG DEVICES 32-bits DSP SHARC 350 MHz including the special -140dB option for the SRC (the basic is only -128db)

1. To Danghony: I have the Modwright tube mod and I'm very happy with it, though I've replaced the tubes with Mullards. I found the stock unit to be pretty good, and I've owned DACs in the $2-4K range. I wasn't overly bothered by what birddog describes as a bloated midrange, through my Raidho speakers. I've heard the Auralic several times (and own an Aires) and it's on the crisp, clean and detailed side of things, so if that's your preference, the Modwright mod may not be what you're looking for. And I generally find the DSEE valuable on mp3 files and radio streaming (I don't use it for 44.1 and above).

The Modwright mod improves upon the unit considerably, adding body and heft, harmonic purity and an increased palpability. For me, as a tube lover, definitely worth the money. Brings a unit that was competitive with $2K DACS into the $5K + territory.

2. Can anyone help me with deleting files on the Sony from my Mac desktop (I can delete the tracks one at a time while playing them, but that is very slow)?

When I bring up the HAP music transfer on the desktop and click 'Explore HAP (Show in Finder)', a window comes up that shows the folders, but the folders only show a very small proportion of the tracks on the Sony. Suggestions please, on how to do this, as I'd like to delete tracks/albums that I rarely listen to anymore, and I'm probably getting close to the 1TB limit.

3. Relatedly, how can I see the free space on the internal drive, and how much is being used?

Thanks!

1. To Danghony: I have the Modwright tube mod and I'm very happy with it, though I've replaced the tubes with Mullards. I found the stock unit to be pretty good, and I've owned DACs in the $2-4K range. I wasn't overly bothered by what birddog describes as a bloated midrange, through my Raidho speakers. I've heard the Auralic several times (and own an Aires) and it's on the crisp, clean and detailed side of things, so if that's your preference, the Modwright mod may not be what you're looking for. And I generally find the DSEE valuable on mp3 files and radio streaming (I don't use it for 44.1 and above).

The Modwright mod improves upon the unit considerably, adding body and heft, harmonic purity and an increased palpability. For me, as a tube lover, definitely worth the money. Brings a unit that was competitive with $2K DACS into the $5K + territory.

Thanks for the feedback. I had a tube cd player years ago and can appreciate the sound. Im now transitioning from monitor audio speakers to revel so I'm going to enjoy it as is for a while. Modwright gave me a really good price around the holidays so I was tempted.

I personally don't hear the midrange bloat, i don't see it in the frequency response graphs published by Stereophile. Of course different gear, different room and different music so we may both be correct. Ditto on the dsee.

I am very pleased with balance this unit creates between quality and convenience, for my system anyways. May explore the tube upgrade later.

Another bonus is the ability to buy a used unit at a great price as it seems people love or get rid of them right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Can anyone help me with deleting files on the Sony from my Mac desktop (I can delete the tracks one at a time while playing them, but that is very slow)?

When I bring up the HAP music transfer on the desktop and click 'Explore HAP (Show in Finder)', a window comes up that shows the folders, but the folders only show a very small proportion of the tracks on the Sony. Suggestions please, on how to do this, as I'd like to delete tracks/albums that I rarely listen to anymore, and I'm probably getting close to the 1TB limit.

I have windows and open the drive up directly in explorer and delete. Also have to move the songs off my synch folder or it may re install them. Not sure if Mac works the same way.

3. Relatedly, how can I see the free space on the internal drive, and how much is being used?

You can do that off the front panel. Its somewhere it the settings not hard to find.

Thanks!

Is it true that HAP-Z1ES has inverted polarity from both unbalanced and balanced output? I re-read the review on Stereophile as well as a few discussions on audiocircle and audioasylum but can't determine for sure if it is just the early production prototype that has this issue...

Was fixed with a firmware update , forget which but a while ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When there is an error with one or more tracks, anyone know the best way to re-rip or fix this without ripping the entire CD again and again hoping it would rip the whole disc?

I wish Sony would allow per track rips...

Repost:

I just finished a tutorial with lots of pics on how to upgrade the internal hard drive. Just Google "Sony HAP-Z1es hard drive upgrade". Hope it'll help someone here to enjoy this great server further.

Definitely, need Sony to bring Tidal into the mix now. Spotify is good but as we all know mp3, and does not fully exploit the Z1ES's capabilities. I bought mine quite early on and seem to remember Tidal was initially an option. Am I imagining that?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I sent my contact at Sony JP regarding TIDAL and my feedback on the new desktop app sounding much better than previous version. He said they don't have TIDAL in Japan. No wonder there's no TIDAL support on HAP-Z1es! You can't love something if you don't have it.

I sent my contact at Sony JP regarding TIDAL and my feedback on the new desktop app sounding much better than previous version. He said they don't have TIDAL in Japan. No wonder there's no TIDAL support on HAP-Z1es! You can't love something if you don't have it.

I wonder if the unit has enough processing and/or memory to add additional services like this? Add one or two more features really adds value.

Interesting to know this about Japan and Tidal. Of course, most purchasers of the HAP-Z1ES --- like most purchasers of Toyotas or Hondas --- don't live in Japan. Do you have any more information about future updates to the HAP-Z1ES?

Interesting to know this about Japan and Tidal. Of course, most purchasers of the HAP-Z1ES --- like most purchasers of Toyotas or Hondas --- don't live in Japan. Do you have any more information about future updates to the HAP-Z1ES?

Same here.

When there is an error with one or more tracks, anyone know the best way to re-rip or fix this without ripping the entire CD again and again hoping it would rip the whole disc?

i used the slow method once and thought it was ridiculous to take so long..so all rips are done in fast mode

i don't think there's any extra magic in this, check surface of disc before ripping, use windex & softcloth if dirty, if scratched, some people have success with polishing

you can also use a great util called "EAC" on the pc to rip without hap and just drag and drop and of course there's always searching for that cd online as most likely it's been ripped previously

yes cloning then expand partition almost always works fine.

I would do it with partedmagic, or any good live distribution with gparted and clonezilla.

thank you !

I changed over to a 2tb firecuda, used clonzilla boot cd and 2 apricorn cables

cloning started out decent enough but after an hour sunk to superslow (originally reported 3 hours for 1.5tb, but in essence took about 8 or 9)

no worries on speed, set it to clone and shut down and walked away

installed, turned on hap and it was perfect

I wish Sony would allow per track rips...

Repost:

I just finished a tutorial with lots of pics on how to upgrade the internal hard drive. Just Google "Sony HAP-Z1es hard drive upgrade". Hope it'll help someone here to enjoy this great server further.

I use dbpoweramp and sync to the hap. DB allows you to select and rerip any tracks you want.