IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

It is only the "apples & oranges" section to which I take exception.

by that i meant, the sony side is totally proprietary, if you like the sound of it (dsee), it's the only game in town

I read a review somewhere that one might think of the Sony HAP-Z1es as an iPod on steroids. That seems fairly accurate to me.

now I take exception (and as a big fan of ipods), did you own an ipod?

ipod=ugly apple DRM and constraints, in order NOT to use that piece of shit called "itunes", one needs third party products and hoops to go through to get it to work

and don't forget how crappy it sounds and the extra stuff you have to buy to bypass apple's DAC

this is about as close to an ipod as an apple is to an orange :)

by that i meant, the sony side is totally proprietary, if you like the sound of it (dsee), it's the only game in town

now I take exception (and as a big fan of ipods), did you own an ipod?

ipod=ugly apple DRM and constraints, in order NOT to use that piece of shit called "itunes", one needs third party products and hoops to go through to get it to work

and don't forget how crappy it sounds and the extra stuff you have to buy to bypass apple's DAC

this is about as close to an ipod as an apple is to an orange :)

That statement was made by one of the professional reviews. What he was referring to was the fact that you load the music to the device and keep your library on your computer NAS or wherever. This is different than the typical streaming scenario where you play files directly off a network drive. Nothing about the quality or meant to disparage.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sony-hap-z1es-high-resolution-file-player#cyLgvtQirZLysxYc.97

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No doubt the reviewer was referring to how to load & operate the 2 systems not the SQ...at least I hope not.

You guys must really like this thing. I can't figure out why?

Heres my take.

I have no complaints about the sound quality, I like the convenience of pressing a button on my harmony remote and the system is making music in 30 seconds. Then open the app and play whatever you like. No computers no additional gear wiring etc. maybe its not the unit for someone looking to extract every bit of sound quality and those that like to tweak but its no slouch.

I find it easy to manage my library. I uploaded it bit by bit first i reripped most of my cds using dbpoweramp, then added s bunch of hi res music by download and finally moved s bunch of low resolution files from itunes. DSEE actually makes a difference with those files. It plays just about everything out there.

Last point if you're a tweaker mod wright has an upgrade package doubles the price but apparently amazing upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who wants one of these for less than 1/2 price with a 2TB Internal HD, just let me know. The original 1TB Internal will also be included.

I might give one a go even though it looks like the music transfer is almost comically slow and painful. I tried to send a pm but I get a message saying you do not have it configured and it's not allowed.

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

I was actually going to pick up an Auralic Aries but the re-rendering of the files through the Sony has peaked my interest.

Is the data transfer as bad as people are making it out to be? Is the unit reliable?

It seems like the Aries even though it doesn't turn everything into dsd seems quite a bit faster and reliable and can do more with the streaming internet / pay music services like tidal. Has anyone done a comparison on sq. Between the 2

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

I was actually going to pick up an Auralic Aries but the re-rendering of the files through the Sony has peaked my interest.

Is the data transfer as bad as people are making it out to be? Is the unit reliable?

It seems like the Aries even though it doesn't turn everything into dsd seems quite a bit faster and reliable and can do more with the streaming internet / pay music services like tidal. Has anyone done a comparison on sq. Between the 2

Can only talk about the transfer. Yes it takes a while. I did mine through a wired network maybe a little better not sure though.

I did it in a few steps moving about 300 files to a directory and letting it run over night. After that moving one and two albums or downloading of HD tracks is easy. As far as reliable I've never had any issue other than the app not connecting every now and again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I might give one a go even though it looks like the music transfer is almost comically slow and painful. I tried to send a pm but I get a message saying you do not have it configured and it's not allowed.

I don't know how to do all that. Just contact me through our website. We are an OEM cable manufacturer: Cape Fear Cable Company | OEM to Spec

Price is $950.00 firm + FedEx.

Beach Life

Agree with danghony would love to hear your impression on the Auralic vs Sony

Agree with danghony would love to hear your impression on the Auralic vs Sony

Sorry it took me so long to reply. It's Christmas party time here at the beach.

As to a comparison between the Auralic Aries/Vega to the HAP, one must keep in mind that this an "apple - oranges" thing.

1st, the Auralic Aries/Vega combination is over twice the price of the Sony HAP.

2nd, the Aries/Vega is not a storage based system. However, one area of commonality is that you may plug any size ExFAT USB External HD directly into the Aries; the Aries then scans the connected HD in a matter of minutes after which you use the proprietary APP just as you do with JRiver, Sony, and the rest.The Aries/Vega is also Roon, Tidal, and I cant remember what else, ready. Moreover, the Aries/Vega is 4xDSD capable.

Having established the above parameters, I must report that the Sound Quality (SQ) for the Auralic units eclipses that of the Sony HAP by a wide margin. To my ears and those on staff here at Cape Fear Cable Company (CFCC) the Sony's sound is bloated in the mids leaving the highs muddied and non-distinct.

The worst feature of the HAP is the DSEE option that especially degrades 24 bit and even well recorded 16 bit files. Oh, I am well aware that I have now opened a can of worms and will live to regret that statement but notwithstanding it is true. Assuming that you have an audiophile grade system (wherever that means), critically listen to the HAP with and without the DSEE engaged.

Now, it may be that the DSEE works wonders on low-fi or highly compressed files but who saves/listens to these things and why would they?

The Auralic sound is crisp and clean yet with plenty of "romance" and bass authority. As I have already alluded, the SQ of the HAP sound is bloated and over processed.

I know, I know, "The guy is an Auralic dealer what do expect him to say?" We are an extremely small Auralic dealer the sales of which contribute a small fraction of the CFCC income. We sort of backed into the Auralic relationship by first helping some of the uber-rich living on Figure 8 Island with Auralic installs and whole-home setup. Keep in mind that these monster homes have 8-16 bedrooms with a dedicated bath for each. Using Auralic's Open Home capability we were able to cover the house and extensive decks.

Anyway, one thing led to another and we became Auralic dealers. We also carry many more well-known audiophile speakers, preamps & amps, turntable/cartridges, unbelievably expensive digital systems, and unnecessary accessories. Believe me, if you have seen any issue of Stereophile or TAS you know these brands. Unfortunately (for us), we are not allowed to advertise or sell these brands of the net.

In sum, make what you will of my take on the Auralic Aries/Vega as compared to the Sony HAP. There is plenty of controversial stuff in the above to provide fodder for all levels of outrage. Have fun!

BTW: We reduced the price of our Sony HAP to $850 with the 2TB internal HD + all accessories, manual, and original box.

Beach Life

Thank you for the honest review! I appreciate it!

Sorry it took me so long to reply. It's Christmas party time here at the beach.

As to a comparison between the Auralic Aries/Vega to the HAP, one must keep in mind that this an "apple - oranges" thing.

1st, the Auralic Aries/Vega combination is over twice the price of the Sony HAP.

2nd, the Aries/Vega is not a storage based system. However, one area of commonality is that you may plug any size ExFAT USB External HD directly into the Aries; the Aries then scans the connected HD in a matter of minutes after which you use the proprietary APP just as you do with JRiver, Sony, and the rest.The Aries/Vega is also Roon, Tidal, and I cant remember what else, ready. Moreover, the Aries/Vega is 4xDSD capable.

Having established the above parameters, I must report that the Sound Quality (SQ) for the Auralic units eclipses that of the Sony HAP by a wide margin. To my ears and those on staff here at Cape Fear Cable Company (CFCC) the Sony's sound is bloated in the mids leaving the highs muddied and non-distinct.

The worst feature of the HAP is the DSEE option that especially degrades 24 bit and even well recorded 16 bit files. Oh, I am well aware that I have now opened a can of worms and will live to regret that statement but notwithstanding it is true. Assuming that you have an audiophile grade system (wherever that means), critically listen to the HAP with and without the DSEE engaged.

Now, it may be that the DSEE works wonders on low-fi or highly compressed files but who saves/listens to these things and why would they?

The Auralic sound is crisp and clean yet with plenty of "romance" and bass authority. As I have already alluded, the SQ of the HAP sound is bloated and over processed.

I know, I know, "The guy is an Auralic dealer what do expect him to say?" We are an extremely small Auralic dealer the sales of which contribute a small fraction of the CFCC income. We sort of backed into the Auralic relationship by first helping some of the uber-rich living on Figure 8 Island with Auralic installs and whole-home setup. Keep in mind that these monster homes have 8-16 bedrooms with a dedicated bath for each. Using Auralic's Open Home capability we were able to cover the house and extensive decks.

Anyway, one thing led to another and we became Auralic dealers. We also carry many more well-known audiophile speakers, preamps & amps, turntable/cartridges, unbelievably expensive digital systems, and unnecessary accessories. Believe me, if you have seen any issue of Stereophile or TAS you know these brands. Unfortunately (for us), we are not allowed to advertise or sell these brands of the net.

In sum, make what you will of my take on the Auralic Aries/Vega as compared to the Sony HAP. There is plenty of controversial stuff in the above to provide fodder for all levels of outrage. Have fun!

BTW: We reduced the price of our Sony HAP to $850 with the 2TB internal HD + all accessories, manual, and original box.

Thanks for the info. Im wondering if the vega dac will accept a usb signal from the hap?

No outrage, the price difference alone would lead one to believe there should be a difference in sq. Being that equipment types, levels of quality and room responses are all different the relative difference would be judged case by case. For example, my main speakers didn't cost what your source did so what I hear from my hap may be good enough and i may not be able to leverage the improvements to their fullest. This is why so many of us like the unit.

Great price btw, should sell quick. Id be a buyer if i didn't have one. If you have no luck put it up on AVS.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk