IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

Now even a lower price!!

I bet you sold your HAP Z1-ES at that price, but if you didn't, you just did.

Let me know.

You can send me a PM with your email address or phone number.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

Hey, any of you guys know how format an external HD that the Sony HAP had previously formatted. Windows 10 PC. It shows up as D3 Station.

Hello.

You can do this from the Windows Disk Management Utility to re-format the partition as NTFS. Just launch Computer Management (Control Panel->System and Security->Administrative Tools->Computer Management and choose "Disk Management" from left pane).

Now, on the right pane, right-click on the partition you want tp re-format and choose Format, then choose "NTFS" from the drop down and format it.

My best regards

Christopher from Greece

Thank you. I followed your instructions and formatted the partition as ExFAT. The 2nd partition shows unassigned with no right click option other than Properties.

I want the entire disc to not be partitioned.

Right click to the left of the partition showing you unpartitioned. The spot that shows disk 0 disk 1 and goes on it depends from the hard drives you have connected, is a button.New volume etc..... Follow the wizard.

BEST DISC MANAGEMENT TOOL (and it's FREE):

http://www.minitool.com/C3883AF0-D8F8-4CAB-83D8-DA6497F1C8CC/pwfree91.exe

After the HAP-Z formatted my 4TB External Drive I wanted use that drive with my Windows 10 PC. I tried to use the included Windows 10 Disc Management Tool but encountered one grayed out option after another.

Goals:

1) Delete all partitions;

2) Reformat 4TB Disc as ExFat (more on this later).

I used the MiniTool to first delete all partitions. There are excellent video tutorials that hold your hand through the entire operation. Once that is done it is time to format your partition-less disc. MiniTool provides many format options but not ExFAT. So, I selected FAT32 from the MiniTool format list. The MiniTool did this in seconds.

Final step for me was to convert FAT32 to ExFAT using Windows. Just go into My PC, find your external disc, right click and choose ExFAT. Done in seconds.

Final Note: As many of you are well aware I am not a fan of the Sony HAP-Z1es. A wonderful member of our forum bought the HAP and it was shipped out yesterday.

This is an amazing forum populated with knowledgeable. friendly members. I thank you all for helping me as well as tolerating my opinionated writings. My departing hope and prayer for all of you is that SONY is listening and 1) comes up with a fast & efficient music transfer APP and, 2) that Tidal & Pandora (soon to be Pandora High-Rez) are embedded into the HAP OS.

Thank you all!

Beach Life

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I just found a nice web interface to control our players (for example from a PC/Mac) or an old smartphone with a simple web browser, without any app.

http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:60100/HAP_app.html

http://HAP-Z1ES:60100/HAP_app.html

http://HAP-S1:60100/HAP_app.html

As stated by the main web page, it is not supported, but I'm sure you'll appreciate it, despite the hmm... rough design ;)

folders are a bit long to display...

Hello,

I just found a nice web interface to control our players (for example from a PC/Mac) or an old smartphone with a simple web browser, without any app.

http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:60100/HAP_app.html

http://HAP-Z1ES:60100/HAP_app.html

http://HAP-S1:60100/HAP_app.html

As stated by the main web page, it is not supported, but I'm sure you'll appreciate it, despite the hmm... rough design ;)

folders are a bit long to display...

You can click on the network device from a pic and a browser page will open up with all the controls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Z1ES developed white horizontal line about 3 weeks ago and after contacting Sony, I was given a RMA number, RMA instruction and a prepaid shipping label (FedEx Ground) to send the unit in for repair to United Radio in Syracuse, NY

I am pleased to inform that my Z1ES has returned earlier this week and United Radio did a great job, original turn around time was around 7 working days, but they were able to have the unit repaired, tested and shipped out on day 5, United Radio also was great at updating me of the repair status, I received 1st call on the same day unit arrived at their facility, a 2nd call a couple days later to inform me the part has arrived and they will work on my unit the very next day and finally a 3rd call to let me know the unit has been shipped back to me

I was pleasantly surprised that they used FedEx 2 day instead of ground and the unit was returned to me double boxed with plenty of shipping peanuts between the boxes for protection

Overall, I was without my Z1ES for 15 days (shipped out on 1/23 and received it back on 2/7)

Just an update to earlier posts -- the new Oppo Sonica DAC is shipping and I purchased one for use on digital output from the HAP-Z. The connection following the updated instructions from Sony HAP-Z was easy and quick. Connection to the Oppo DAC was also without issue following instructions. The results were very impressive and a solid improvement over the HAP-Z regular internal output. On some music -- DSD -- really dramatic. One comment is that by using the HAP-Z and its database you do not have the issue of just connecting an external drive to the Oppo -- it does not at this stage support gapless playback -- through the HAP-Z no issues.

So, the only advantage to using the HAP-Z1es into the OPPO Sonica is gapless playback? My Sonica arrived Wednesday and I just plugged a HDD Dual 8TB [ExFAT] music library into the USB Host (back of unit) and I was up and running within 5 -10 minutes. The Sonica (at the moment) may not be gapless but it is pretty damn fast.

My issues with the Sonica are: 1) It is not currently ROON ready and, 2) OPPO replaced Pandora with Spotify. My 105D has Pandora so I do not know what the reasoning here is. Pandora will soon be streaming in High Rez. I now listen to TIDAL Premium but I miss my Pandora Premium Jukebox.

As far as SQ - The Sonica outperforms the HAP by a wide margin. It is especially strong rendering DSD files.

The new owner of my HAP seems very happy.

Beach Life

Thank for the update -- on the gapless issue -- it depends on what type of music you play -- I am all classical so for operas and such there are many single files for the work sometimes dividing up the section thus there is a few second gap in a singer from one file to the next -- for jazz or pop etc do not see an issue given that the files are usually complete -- I also prefer the HAP Z app for playing vice the Oppo Sonica -- but this again because its a lot easier for classical.

So, the only advantage to using the HAP-Z1es into the OPPO Sonica is gapless playback? My Sonica arrived Wednesday and I just plugged a HDD Dual 8TB [ExFAT] music library into the USB Host (back of unit) and I was up and running within 5 -10 minutes. The Sonica (at the moment) may not be gapless but it is pretty damn fast.

My issues with the Sonica are: 1) It is not currently ROON ready and, 2) OPPO replaced Pandora with Spotify. My 105D has Pandora so I do not know what the reasoning here is. Pandora will soon be streaming in High Rez. I now listen to TIDAL Premium but I miss my Pandora Premium Jukebox.

As far as SQ - The Sonica outperforms the HAP by a wide margin. It is especially strong rendering DSD files.

The new owner of my HAP seems very happy.

Anyone tried using an external DAC with the Hap-Z1es and just using the server as a transport and if so does the Sony software play well with others?

I just bought a used Auralic Vega and connected it to my Sony HAP-Z1 today. Connected a USB cable from the Sony to the Vega and connected the Vega to my preamp. Turned on the Sony and Auralic, hit play on the Sony and beautiful sounds came out of the Vega.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

I just bought a used Auralic Vega and connected it to my Sony HAP-Z1 today. Connected a USB cable from the Sony to the Vega and connected the Vega to my preamp. Turned on the Sony and Auralic, hit play on the Sony and beautiful sounds came out of the Vega.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Is it much different than the Z1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure. On one hand I think so, but it would be nice to do an A/B test to compare.

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

I guess I am missing something. What is the advantage of using the HAP-Z1es as a storage unit? As Auralic dealers we are well aware that the Vega requires the Aries for USB HDD storage. I guess if you already own the HAP you may as well use it for storage - but why? Just sell the thing and load up an HDD-ExFAT or whatever you choose and you are off to the races.

The VEGA is an excellent DAC/Preamp. When it first came out the media went nuts. Pair the Vega with the Aries/Bridge you have the basis of an excellent audio system.

As I have posted several times, my chief complaint about the HAP was that it took 5-6 days to load a 6TB (heavy DSD population) library and another 3-4 days for the HAP to register the files [CAT7 latest Dell XPS PC]. Once all of that is accomplished, we felt that the HAP had a soft (mid-bloated) SQ.

Beach Life

I don't know why your HAP took 5-6 days to transfer or 3-4 days to register the files. I certainly didn't have that experience. Even if it took that long, it is a one time exercise. Why does it matter how long the initial load is? Regarding the HAP sounding bloated, I don't experience anything close to that and most owners and reviewers are happy with the sound output. Many HAP -Z1 users have tested it to comparable and much higher priced DACs and stick with the HAP. After more listening the Vega and HAP are very close in sound quality to my ears, however I will need more time to listen to each one before forming a final conclusion.

The Vega certainly doesn't require the Aiires for hard drive storage as you mentioned. It can accept a signal from any external digital source. Being you are an Aires dealer I understand your bias towards that product line, but in my opinion the Aires line doesn't have the the sound or build quality of the HAP-Z1.

I have an Aires mini in my garage and I'm not a big fan of the lightning application as compared to the HDD audio app for the Sony. The lightning app has more options and capabilities, but the HDD Audio app gives me what I need.

Just an update to earlier posts -- the new Oppo Sonica DAC is shipping and I purchased one for use on digital output from the HAP-Z. The connection following the updated instructions from Sony HAP-Z was easy and quick. Connection to the Oppo DAC was also without issue following instructions. The results were very impressive and a solid improvement over the HAP-Z regular internal output. On some music -- DSD -- really dramatic. One comment is that by using the HAP-Z and its database you do not have the issue of just connecting an external drive to the Oppo -- it does not at this stage support gapless playback -- through the HAP-Z no issues.

Some beginner questions, if you will. Great to hear that the Oppo works well as DAC connected to HAP-Z1ES. Thanks for that report. Connection-wise, how is this set up? There's a single USB connection on the HAP. So you're connecting the Oppo that way. How are you supporting USB hard drive storage. Do you have a USB hub to which both Oppo DAC and USB terabyte drive(s) is connected? You mention "updated instructions" for the HAP. Do you have a link for those? Again: stone rookie digital guy on this end. Thanks for any help on these points.

Yes -- If you have the latest HAP-Z software upgrade that came out a few months ago you can attached a USB hub to the HAP-Z and then connect an external storage drive and also the USB connector to the Oppo DAC - you need a USB A 2.0 to USB B (you do not need a powered HUB). There is a selection on the Oppo to select the USB B connection - you use the HAP-Z app to play music - there is also a Oppo app for connections of a hard drive directly to the Oppo.

Following is from Sony HAP-Z:

Using a USB digital audio device (USB Digital Output)While a Sony USB digital audio device (USB DAC), such as TA-ZH1ES or CAS-1, is connected to the EXT port on the back of the HDD AUDIO PLAYER, you can output audio signals to the connected USB digital audio device for music playback.Connect a USB digital audio device to the EXT port on the back of the HDD AUDIO PLAYER.Select [settings] - [Audio Settings] from the Home screen.Select [uSB Digital Output].Select [Auto].Descriptions of menu settingsSelectable menu items are described below.Auto:If a USB digital audio device is connected, audio signals are output to the connected device for playback. If not, audio signals are output to the devices connected to the analog output terminals (LINE OUT UNBALANCED (analog: unbalanced output) L/R jacks and LINE OUT BALANCED (analog: balanced output) L/R jacks) via the built-in D/A converter of the HDD AUDIO PLAYER (factory default setting).Off:Audio signals are always output to the devices connected to the analog output terminals (LINE OUT UNBALANCED (analog: unbalanced output) L/R jacks and LINE OUT BALANCED (analog: balanced output) L/R jacks) via the built-in D/A converter of the HDD AUDIO PLAYER, regardless of whether a USB digital audio devices is connected.DSD Output (DoP) settingsWhile [uSB Digital Output] is set to [Auto], you can turn on or off the DSD Output (DoP) function.On:Enables playback of music files in the DSD formats with the connected USB digital audio device. Select this item if the connected USB audio device supports DoP transfer.Off:Disables playback of music files in the DSD formats with the connected USB digital audio device. Music files in the DSD formats are skipped for playback (factory default setting).NoteSome USB digital audio devices may not work for playback.While the USB Digital Output function is set to [Auto] and audio signals are being output to the connected USB digital audio device, signal output through the analog output terminals (LINE OUT UNBALANCED (analog: unbalanced output) L/R jacks and LINE OUT BALANCED (analog: balanced output) L/R jacks) is disabled.You cannot output audio signals, which are input from the audio device connected to the input jacks on the HDD AUDIO PLAYER, to the connected USB digital audio device for playback because they are designed to be sent to the analog output terminals on the HDD AUDIO PLAYER at all times.You cannot use a USB digital audio device to play the contents that are unavailable for playback (grayed out) on the HDD AUDIO PLAYER.

Some beginner questions, if you will. Great to hear that the Oppo works well as DAC connected to HAP-Z1ES. Thanks for that report. Connection-wise, how is this set up? There's a single USB connection on the HAP. So you're connecting the Oppo that way. How are you supporting USB hard drive storage. Do you have a USB hub to which both Oppo DAC and USB terabyte drive(s) is connected? You mention "updated instructions" for the HAP. Do you have a link for those? Again: stone rookie digital guy on this end. Thanks for any help on these points.

1) I am no great fan of the Vega/Aries. 4 years ago they rocked the audio world. Other than FW updates they both remain unchanged. We sell mainly to Beach 2nd homeowners who are looking for a simple system + whole home streaming via Open Home.

2) The VEGA is not a player - you cannot play directly from a HDD. Maybe the MINI is a player but we do not sell that - no room for profit.

3) As to SQ of the HAP - I'm not getting into to that endless, circular argument. If you like it then great. We ordered a HAP as an accommodation for a client who insisted. We loaded and setup the unit in his beach house only to get a call a week later to come get it. We were fortunate to sell it soon thereafter.

4) Finally, this thread is loaded with complaints as to the ridiculous music library load times to the point that several of posters suggest various work-rounds.

Beach Life