IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

Alternatively you could add an external USB CD-ROM drive to the Sony and rip directly, but then you wouldn't have backup copies of the rips.

Actually, if you did use the plug-in CD/DVD-ROM drive method to copy all your disc-based music to the Sony, you could simply open Windows Explorer or Finder on the Mac, point to the Sony (which will show up) select all the music, and simply copy and paste to a standalone 1TB (or bigger) USB drive. Then you have your backup.

HAP-Z1ES / HAP-S1 HDD Audio Player System Firmware Upgrade : Download : Sony Middle East & Africa

This firmware upgrade is currently available which provides the following benefits:

• Supports CD ripping function from the external USB disk drive.
  • Supports the DSEE HX function (HAP-S1 only).
  • Supports Chinese (Simplified) language.
  • Adds “Go to album” function in the Options menu.
  • Adds “Recently played” in playlists.
  • Supports accessing the Gracenote server for DSD files.
  • Adds Auto Gracenote Access menu in System Settings.
  • Adds Text encoding menu in System Settings.

HAP-Z1ES / HAP-S1 HDD Audio Player System Firmware Upgrade : Download : Sony Middle East & Africa

This firmware upgrade is currently available which provides the following benefits:

• Supports CD ripping function from the external USB disk drive.
  • Supports the DSEE HX function (HAP-S1 only).
  • Supports Chinese (Simplified) language.
  • Adds “Go to album” function in the Options menu.
  • Adds “Recently played” in playlists.
  • Supports accessing the Gracenote server for DSD files.
  • Adds Auto Gracenote Access menu in System Settings.
  • Adds Text encoding menu in System Settings.

Old news Freddys912 !!!

• 1 month later...

Have noticed a recent problem with new music transferred on my HAP-1 unit. Can no longer edit artwork with the HDD Remote program. Player defaults to blank 45 or white RPM icon. i know how to edit the album artwork from within the HDD Remote program - the change doesn't apply. There's artwork in the small edit window, but out of focus. I then replace it with a clear image and hit save, but it doesn't take. I'm now putting files on an external HD, but this hasn't been a problem before. Happens with WAV, AIFF and FLAC files. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I also have a HAP-Z1ES player and am not having any problem with the same music files.

Hi, I am helping a friend load up his new Sony HAP-Z1ES. The internal hard drive is just about full so it is time for us to add an external drive. I have read here and elsewhere of folks adding a 3TB or 4TB USB drive. The Sony guides do not specify a maximum and so far Sony customer service/tech support via email has been useless -- they don't seem to know the unit very well and just send along links to the help guide (which I have read). One went so far as to state that the limit is a 2TB FAT hard drive -- which is not possible. FAT is fine for small USB drives, etc. Even the Guide refers to the EXT4 format. So any information or advice on this will be appreciated. We have a lot of high res material so I am not worried about the 20,000 song limit.

Thanks, Stephanie

Has anyone tried an upgraded power cord with their HAP Z1ES?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Yes, and there are many fine choices at just about every price point. I would say that in the power department that even more important than a power cable is well grounded electrical lines. Before investing in expensive power cables, see if your budget allows for having your audio power isolated from the other lines in your house (and as I said, having a true ground). There are other things you can do as well, such as using something like a PS Audio Power Plant. This is expensive, more expensive than the HAPZ1ES, but you can use it for both the HAPZ1ES and preamp or a smaller integrated amp. I find it works well. The other thing I might explore, if you are using RCA outs on the SONY is switching to balanced outs using the canon plug outputs, provided your preamp or Integrated can accept them. You get more of the Sony when pay attention to those things. As for a brand, I hesitate to list what I am using, not only because it can be matter of room and system tuning to adopt a particular individual cable design, but we are not all coming from the same place on what we are seeking from our playback systems. I will say that better cabling in my system improved the sound of the HAPZ1ES enough (for me) to justify (for me) to pay for it. I wouldn't suspect that would necessarily be the case for you. Nobody should try to sell someone on cabling. It's something that you need to explore for yourself. There are few companies that are on online that will allow you to try cabling and return it if you don't like the result (and then try another). This is what makes the most sense, rather than take someone's recommendation. You need to find out how the cable sounds in your particular system, and so I feel that giving advice on particular brands is adding vice! Not so helpful. :)

Hi, I am helping a friend load up his new Sony HAP-Z1ES. The internal hard drive is just about full so it is time for us to add an external drive. I have read here and elsewhere of folks adding a 3TB or 4TB USB drive. The Sony guides do not specify a maximum and so far Sony customer service/tech support via email has been useless -- they don't seem to know the unit very well and just send along links to the help guide (which I have read). One went so far as to state that the limit is a 2TB FAT hard drive -- which is not possible. FAT is fine for small USB drives, etc. Even the Guide refers to the EXT4 format. So any information or advice on this will be appreciated. We have a lot of high res material so I am not worried about the 20,000 song limit.

Thanks, Stephanie

I have 4TB external drives connected to both of my HAP-Z1ESes w/o any issues. And yes, as far as I can tell the filesystem that the unit uses is EXT4...definitely not FAT.

Hello Teresa

Like most here I've been interested in music since my schooldays. Apart from 200LPs I acquired over the last 40 years everything else I've bought or been given has been converted to digital files (cassettes, VHS music, LaserDiscs, DAT tapes and CDs). As a result I now have a library of 81000 tracks. As my music library has become more comprehensive (I'll never say 'complete') my current rate of acquisition has reduced to the equivalent of about 5 CDs a month (typically acquired at less than £4 each). I guess that this size of music library is not uncommon for dyed-in-the-wool music lovers.

I would say that Teresa has hit upon something that some "dyed-in-the-wool music lovers" and life long collectors forget. And that is that for the majority of folks out there, collections of 30,000-81000 tracks are beyond the financial means of folks who acquire music by PAYING for it. Whether or not you believe music should be free or not is not the argument I wish to raise. I am just saying, as someone who supports musicians by paying for their product, twenty thousand tracks costs a ton of money. I would venture that my less than full (less than 20K tracks) on my HAPZ1ES has set me back well over $25,000. That too has been acquired over time, except for the high resolution files, which are relatively recent (the last two years) and my file limit on the HAPZ1ES sites at around 14400. I know there collectors such as the several that have chimed in on the subject. And if they have purchased that music, my goodness, I would say their devotion to music is remarkable. But in the real world, most people don't have such enormous libraries, nor would they ever have the time to really listen to all of that music. That's a lot of music. And I realize, that there may come a time when you want to listen to something you have listened to in years. I get that. I just think that trashing the HAPZ1ES because it can't store 81000 or even 41000 seems goes beyond the pale of reason. Even know, at this point, spend $300 for a dozen albums with a dozen tracks on each is something most of us can't do EVERY week of the year, even for one year. But to assemble a collection of 81000 tracks buying a dozen albums a week would take one over 560 weeks almost 11 years! And that's not missing a week of purchasing. Yes, I suppose, if like me, you were very much involved in music, you could find the time to listen to 12 albums per week. That's not so hard. So I suppose you could find the time. I listen more than two hours a day, so there is time in week to accomplish that feat. But I find my enjoyment of music, whether it be Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Bella Fleck, or Bob Dylan and The Band increases when I give an album multiple listenings, and become intimate with a piece of music. In which case, listening to 81000 tracks in such a manner would become a superhuman feat (unless one were a cell mate with a life sentence somewhere). Teresa is right on the numbers anyway. 80K or even 40K tracks is a lot of Doe-Ray-Me. And of course, such a person, who could afford to buy 80k tracks or even 40k tracks would easily be able to afford 15k music server that could store all those tracks. And, no doubt, they should. That the 20k Sony doesn't meet that spec won't impact the vast majority of music buyers. 20K tracks is for most people, a lot tracks to buy and to which to listen. When I think about how long it would take me to listen to all the songs on my HAPZ1ES, I just have to LOL. Folks the answer is simply a long time, a very long time!

Richard Zane: "I find my enjoyment of music increases when I give an album multiple listenings, and become intimate with a piece of music."

I think this way too. I had around 40K files and pared my music library down to around 20K files, files that I will listen to repeatedly. I've got to know my music library so much better, whereas before there were many recordings just taking up space. Besides this, I've discovered in discussions with fellow older audiophiles this past year, that before digital libraries they would usually always listen all the way through their LP's/CD's, but with digital libraries they skip around mostly between albums/tracks. We acknowledge something seems lost in the process of musical enjoyment from the continuity of whole album listening. Of course we are an older demographic and those who matured in the digital age may well have their own take on what's the best way to enjoy their music, and while turntables have had something of a resurgence, I see Sony's upcoming turntable with built-in software to rip vinyl straight to ones' computer (no third party device between ones turntable and computer required) trending LP's and turntables away from whole album listening toward just using the turntable as tool to create individually selectable computer files. Surely if Sony's gambit takes off, other turntable manufacturers are to follow their lead.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

Thank you Richard Zane and christoum for answering my question on size of external HD. After I complained to Sony email support, they gave me a link to US Sony ES customer support:

https://dealersource.sel.sony.com/dsweb/p/builtin/contact_support.html

no email but 2 phone numbers one for installation help (866) 924-7669 and the other for customer service (877) 619-7669.

A very helpful person answered the phone right away (no long voice menu system Yay). He explained that he has tested a single 4TB hd with no issues. He said that there is no reason why a larger drive would not work but he just has not tried it yet. He also mentioned that the 20,000 song limit applies to the number of files you can transfer at once and that he has over 30,000 songs on his HAP-Z1 ES.

Just thought I'd relay this information. Would love to hear how others are doing with their external drives and libraries and I will report back when I have finished loading up my friend's unit.

Bryan, reflecting on what you said about listening to entire albums back in the day caused me to think about how my listening habits have changed since switching mostly to listening to digital tracks streamed to my Yamaha receivers. I find that most of the time I listen in Shuffle mode with the AVR shuffling between my nearly 49k tracks. What this affords me is the opportunity to hear tracks that I haven't listened to in years, and enjoying them all over again. I have to admit that I was very unlikely to bother to dig out a specific CD from my rather large (and un-ordered) library to play. I found myself back then playing the same handful of discs that I'd recently purchased most of the time.

BTW, I also own two Sony HAP-Z1ES boxes but aren't using them that much lately, I've only transferred about 10k tracks to them, mostly because I find the transfer process quite the nuisance; and due to my apparently breaking the first unit I had (would frequently hang and nothing I tried helped) when they first came out by transferring over 35k tracks to it. Hopefully later ones are not likely to do that, but I've been reluctant to try.

Bryan, reflecting on what you said about listening to entire albums back in the day caused me to think about how my listening habits have changed since switching mostly to listening to digital tracks streamed to my Yamaha receivers. I find that most of the time I listen in Shuffle mode with the AVR shuffling between my nearly 49k tracks. What this affords me is the opportunity to hear tracks that I haven't listened to in years, and enjoying them all over again. I have to admit that I was very unlikely to bother to dig out a specific CD from my rather large (and un-ordered) library to play. I found myself back then playing the same handful of discs that I'd recently purchased most of the time.

BTW, I also own two Sony HAP-Z1ES boxes but aren't using them that much lately, I've only transferred about 10k tracks to them, mostly because I find the transfer process quite the nuisance; and due to my apparently breaking the first unit I had (would frequently hang and nothing I tried helped) when they first came out by transferring over 35k tracks to it. Hopefully later ones are not likely to do that, but I've been reluctant to try.

Sure. Shuffle especially useful for parties, background listening. Shuffle function tied to how one can control their shuffle though. Most audio systems with shuffle only allow shuffling entire music library without specific genre shuffle. With shuffle from JRiver MC (as but one example), one can shuffle by genre, and say you have grandparents over, one could select 'Jazz Vocal' as genre avoiding all-library shuffle where a Nirvana or Led Zeppelin track might pop-up causing some generational discomfort. Then again nowadays it's not uncommon to hear 'Purple Haze' or 'On the Run' (Pink Floyd) over supermarket speakers, which I experienced yesterday at my grocery store. Certainly reminds thee their time on Earth is running down (v:

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

Sure. Shuffle especially useful for parties, background listening. Shuffle function tied to how one can control their shuffle though. Most audio systems with shuffle only allow shuffling entire music library without specific genre shuffle. With shuffle from JRiver MC (as but one example), one can shuffle by genre, and say you have grandparents over, one could select 'Jazz Vocal' as genre avoiding all-library shuffle where a Nirvana or Led Zeppelin track might pop-up causing some generational discomfort. Then again nowadays it's not uncommon to hear 'Purple Haze' or 'On the Run' (Pink Floyd) over supermarket speakers, which I experienced yesterday at my grocery store. Certainly reminds thee their time on Earth is running down (v:

My AVRs do allow shuffling by artist, album, and genre but I usually just shuffle the entire lot. As for generational discomfort; in my case, since I'm a recently new great granddad, I guess I don't worry too much if my kids or grandkids get uncomfortable with the current music selection. Should I prefer to not listen to what's currently playing though, I simply skip to the next (doesn't happen too often, I try not to buy music I don't like). ;)

On the other hand, the Sony HAP units have by far the best interface for shuffling tracks that are similar in feeling or mood that I've found with their SensMe support.

Yes, I understand the frustration with the HAPZ1ES hanging. The possibility of "breaking it" (bricking it) is further enhanced by the fact that during the times it's not supposed to be turned off while updating (firmware), the possibility for mistakenly turning it off is enchanced with the HDD Remote device or even because one is thinking that it has frozen during its updating. I've also noticed that the unit slows down considerably, for what reason I don't know. However, powering off and then on again can speed it up enormously. So I am thinking that it's probably not a good idea to just leave it on for long periods, because one goes for quite a long time without a clean boot, and that can really speed the darn thing up. Yes, a lot of hassles, but then where else can you find a digital player that sounds so very good for so little money. I still believe you have spend two to three times as much to find something that competes with it sound quality. And there, alas, it seems worth it to suck it up.

SJG's comment about the 20K track limit applying only to transfers goes a long way towards explaining the puzzle of so many people saying that they can run more than 20k on their HAPZ1ES. Apparently, someone needs to hired at Sony who is smart enough to fire the people in their marketing department that haven't taken any action on explaining the 20k limit. What a HUGE gaff! There must be hundreds and hundreds of people who haven't purchased a HAPZ1ES because they mistakenly think there is a 20k limit. That's just something that Sony's marketing department should address immediately. Of course, many of us know how hands-off Sony is with addressing shortcomings on how they do things. Shots in the dark.

With regard to shuffle mode, I think it still requires planning to avoid having Pink Floyd shuffle into Dylan Thomas reading "A Child's Christmas In Wales," (shuffling within a playlist would work, but not if the shuffling spans the entire drive), which is why I prefer to use the Sony playlist feature, and build a mood list and transitions that work for me musically. However, I can certainly relate to your joy with hearing something great that one has forgotten about. I also enjoy the excitement that comes from re-educating one's hear to hear things that one has stopped hearing, such as how daring Beethoven was in his piano sonatas. There are some passages in some of these pieces, for example, that call to mind the daring and the bravado and, even, the tonalities of Thelonious Monk. So I often find it interesting to explore unlikely but similar occurrences with various genres. It's even more fun if one can get an entire room of people that never stopped to consider similarities between composers or musical groups to look up and say "OMG, I never thought of that before!" So it's fun, I think to "play" with playlists in that way. Aside from that, it's just a remarkably more musical way of keeping the music fresh and alive. I love the Sony Playlist feature. It's just so remarkably easy to do playlists on the fly.

Are there things that bother me? Yes. Are there things that need improvement? Absolutely. But the darn thing just sounds so good. Especially so with Native DSD. There's a lot of genres well represented at a wide variety online sites. Native DSD comes to mind, with their 800 plus titles, but there's a growing list a Acoustic Sounds. There you can discover that even Dylan (Bob that is), whose albums are more of a free-for-all, and not, for the most part, something that benefits from higher resolution, does have more palpable attack and greater natural tone in DSD (even when comparing it with its higher sampling rate PCM cousins). There are many units now for DSD but the Sony is one of the few under $5000 units that can really do justice to DSD. So, living with some of the annoyances is something I'm prepared to do.

sjg,

Thank you so much for your comments on the 20k song limit applying to "the number of files you can transfer at once." If you quite right about this, then Sony should consider hiring you immediately to help bolster their sales. And, they should certainly fire the bozos in marketing are allowing the general public to perpetuate the myth of how many files the HAPZ1ES can accommodate. You are the first person I've come across to point out the origin of the "20,000 file limitation. Sony, are you listening? Probably not. :)

Many of the current lineup of Yamaha AVRs will play DSD files, so it seems that the industry is finally doing a bit better about embracing them. I wish more of them would support multi-channel, though (the Oppo Blu-ray players do, but nothing else that I have will).

On a related, though slightly different topic, for those of us that prefer to operate our AVRs and AVPs with their room correction and bass management features enabled, the analog output from the Sony will get converted to PCM in the AVR for this processing and then converted back to analog to be passed to the amplifier. This has always begged the question to me as to what is lost in these subsequent A/D to D/A conversions? This is one reason I would have liked for Sony to have provided a digital output (via HDMI) in the HAP products.

Yes, others also confirm that as well. What it boils down to, I guess, is how much taming the room ends up needing. In many circumstances, the room problems create a greater mess with audio peaks and valleys that can far outweigh the concerns of adding yet another D/A and A/D conversion. It's not ideal, and apparently, there is no way to switch the conversion off, even using Bypass, something that McIntosh should have allowed for. Sadly, they did not. There is no way to sample how the extra conversions change the digital signal short of taking the 220 completely out of the system.