IGNORED

Article: Chord Electronics QuteHD Review

As long as people claiming that "16/44.1 resolution is not the problem" clearly state that it's just their opinion (to which they are perfectly entitled), I see no problem with it either.

I suspect many of the early digital transfers of '50s and '60s material, easily available on CD for peanuts, would actually out-perform some of the more recent hirez-PCM/DSD transfers of the same material, simply because the master tapes were in better condition when the CD transfers were made. But they need to be replayed on a DAC that can get do 16/44.1 justice. Just my opinion of course.

So, it seems we have no quarrel. Let's get back to discussing the CuteHD(EX).

In reply to Ted's excellent review, all I really want to say is this: it sounds like the CuteHD(EX) will make people stop thinking about the bloody format and start appreciating the music. Hallelujah.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

In reply to Ted's excellent review, all I really want to say is this: it sounds like the CuteHD(EX) will make people stop thinking about the bloody format and start appreciating the music. Hallelujah.

As it happens, music is available in various formats today, so everyone can choose a format which gets them to appreciate the music the most. And so, when you go to the Channel Classics website for instance you may choose between everything from a native Grimm DSD recording, all the way down to mp3. Take your pick.

Originally Posted by manisandher

"In reply to Ted's excellent review, all I really want to say is this: it sounds like the CuteHD(EX) will make people stop thinking about the bloody format and start appreciating the music. Hallelujah."

EXACTLY !!

And to be more precise, this has actually always been the case whether you listen to vinyl or digital formats.

What ultimately takes precedence is the manner in which the recording has been produced and the issued release has been mastered, NOT the final delivery medium or format.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.... But you can of course start with higher quality silk if you think your seamstress is sufficiently worthy of the task !!

I've replayed some mp3 needle drops of vinyl via the QEX and had casual listeners thinking they were still listening to the original vinyl.

On the other hand I have played DSD64 and 192khz files which sound lifeless and 2 dimensional due to poor recording production and/or mastering.

Of course none of these examples are specific to the Chord Dac's abilities (or inabilities), however having had a great many Dac's of the highest calibre through my recording/replay facilities over the decades I will say that the Chord QEX is easily amongst the very best sounding, with no cost limit regarded, whilst simultaneously being one of the most affordable which supports virtually all existent formats.

Furthermore, IMHE it truly exceeds all others anywhere near its cost (and many far above !) in its ability to reproduce bog standard 44.1khz and even mp3 files with an utterly astounding sense of refined fidelity and presence, which is often regarded exclusive to actual 'high resolution' files such as those we currently refer to, being in the order of 24/96 and above.

I believe that this diminutive powerhouse is merely a harbinger of what further is to come, largely thanks to Moore's Law, LSI, FPGA technology and such clever engineers as Robert Watts who has in fact been using this approach for quite some time already....

Great review Ted. I have the Qute in my office system, but even in my Hi-Man rig, it was a true revelation. I'm using mine with a Teddy Pardo PSU, and cannot recommend (both) highly enough !

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

As it happens, music is available in various formats today, so everyone can choose a format which gets them to appreciate the music the most. And so, when you go to the Channel Classics website for instance you may choose between everything from a native Grimm DSD recording, all the way down to mp3. Take your pick.

Yes, generically speaking, "music" is available in various formats today.

But when it comes to specific music and artists I like, current and past, most of it is available only on CD.

So, like another poster above, I'm generally content buying and ripping CDs.

I don't choose music by its technical format, but for the music itself, its quality, the artist perhaps, the category sometimes, my history with it other times.

And so, since artists I like are mainly on CDs, I really appreciate the Chord QuteHD's handling of redbook.

Dave, who lately has particularly been listening to an artist whose popularity with an oddly named group might have reached her peak 20 years ago but he didn't listen to her back then and she still sounds fresh to his ears today along with her three-year-old album that's unique and that's part of the pleasure of CDs with the vast catalogue to catch up on

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Originally Posted by manisandher

"In reply to Ted's excellent review, all I really want to say is this: it sounds like the CuteHD(EX) will make people stop thinking about the bloody format and start appreciating the music. Hallelujah."

EXACTLY !!

And to be more precise, this has actually always been the case whether you listen to vinyl or digital formats.

What ultimately takes precedence is the manner in which the recording has been produced and the issued release has been mastered, NOT the final delivery medium or format.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.... But you can of course start with higher quality silk if you think your seamstress is sufficiently worthy of the task !!

I've replayed some mp3 needle drops of vinyl via the QEX and had casual listeners thinking they were still listening to the original vinyl.

On the other hand I have played DSD64 and 192khz files which sound lifeless and 2 dimensional due to poor recording production and/or mastering.

Of course none of these examples are specific to the Chord Dac's abilities (or inabilities), however having had a great many Dac's of the highest calibre through my recording/replay facilities over the decades I will say that the Chord QEX is easily amongst the very best sounding, with no cost limit regarded, whilst simultaneously being one of the most affordable which supports virtually all existent formats.

Furthermore, IMHE it truly exceeds all others anywhere near its cost (and many far above !) in its ability to reproduce bog standard 44.1khz and even mp3 files with an utterly astounding sense of refined fidelity and presence, which is often regarded exclusive to actual 'high resolution' files such as those we currently refer to, being in the order of 24/96 and above.

I believe that this diminutive powerhouse is merely a harbinger of what further is to come, largely thanks to Moore's Law, LSI, FPGA technology and such clever engineers as Robert Watts who has in fact been using this approach for quite some time already....

I agree mostly, as I have a Qute HD running with a Sq-Update BoTWs LPSU. I dont like it for DSD at all. My Lampi DSD-only Dac completely obliterates it, while my PCM Lampi merely bests the Chord on RBCD.

I have never heard the EX, so maybe that could change things, but the stock HD is merely OK on DSD. I too would choose Hirez PCM over DSD on the Qute HD.

Dan, I tried that too (Meitner via SPDIF) but two things:

1) Meitner makes a big deal about how all the inputs are using the same jitter and isolation tech

2) Meitner does not support DoP over SPDIF

Net/net no real difference and no DSD.

That's been a challenge here as well. If I could figure out a way to bring those DSD files into my Multichannel Meitner DAC, I'd definitely give that a spin.

I've picked up a few of the Channel Classics and David Elias Multichannel DSD Downloads from NativeDSD.Com. Very well done !

Brian, Thanks for ordering. We (NativeDSD.com) had a decent amount of traffic at the HiRez ballroom/booth at CES, and have closed a couple more labels. As you know, I volunteer my services for Jared and company (tech advisor, in charge of metadata/tags among other things).

I talked with Chord and they gave me pretty much the same reply re: EX and Hugo. There shouldn't be much of a difference, sonically, over the HD, just better feature set. I am trying to get one or both in here.

Brian, Thanks for ordering. We (NativeDSD.com) had a decent amount of traffic at the HiRez ballroom/booth at CES, and have closed a couple more labels. As you know, I volunteer my services for Jared and company (tech advisor, in charge of metadata/tags among other things).

Glad to hear it. There are some really good Multichannel DSD Downloads from Channel Classics and Sketti Sandwich (David Elias) on NativeDSD.Com. But there is always room for more !

I'll be watching to see more labels and releases.

Ted,

Regarding the Norah Jones PCM vs DSD listening comparison conundrum: Feels Like Home is not a DSD recording, so the only thing you could ever hope to compare when listening to the two versions is the quality of conversion software used for transferring PCM to DSD, not the merits of the two recording formats.

Glad to hear it. There are some really good Multichannel DSD Downloads from Channel Classics and Sketti Sandwich (David Elias) on NativeDSD.Com.

I agree, Channel Classics DSD downloads are lively, transparent, musical, with huge dynamic range, ultra fast rise-time, you name it. I was disappointed to read about "flaccid" and "uninvolving" DSD audio reproduction via the Qute HD.

Hiro, I never said ANY of the NJ recordings were DSD. They are not. However, they are presented in ever so slightly different remastered versions in both formats (not conversions of same remaster, Hiro), and since I was using the same examples for both the Meitner and the Chord, it was a simple example of "horses for courses". The Meitner clearly replayed the DSD (SACD rip) better than the PCM (HDTracks PCM remaster) and the Chord did conversely. Period.....and I preface all this with the fact that this is not the same kind of comparison as the purer DVD-A vs SACD of Massimo Gon Liszt piano one (same recording mastered at same time in two formats), but much more listenable :) .

Hiro, I never said ANY of the NJ recordings were DSD. They are not.

You know that, and I know that, but there are many who have no idea about it. And that's why, in my opinion, any comparison of this sort should be prefaced with clear info on the native recording format of a recording in question.

BTW, I have just learned that SuperHirez.com have just added some "DSD downloads" from Reference Recordings to their store, which clearly are not DSD recorded.

Hiro,

I took a half a paragraph to explain the NJ stuff in the review. Whatta ya want me to do?? Ok, I didn't include the type of A/D or cables used.

SuperHirez sells DSD downloads of any and all SACD rips they get their hands on. No one ever said they were DSD recorded. You think Jeff Beck and Cyndi Lauper are DSD recordings? Hence one of the main reasons Jared started the NatvieDSD dot com site...these are all native recordings (or analog to DSD).

I had dinner with John Newton from SoundMirror (leading Grammy-winning DSD production house) and he reminded me that the recent Reference Recordings are recorded by him and his team; i.e pure DSD. I don't think they are in this group of 22 on Chad's site, but wanted to make sure folks knew the difference.

I agree mostly, as I have a Qute HD running with a Sq-Update BoTWs LPSU. I dont like it for DSD at all. My Lampi DSD-only Dac completely obliterates it, while my PCM Lampi merely bests the Chord on RBCD.

I have never heard the EX, so maybe that could change things, but the stock HD is merely OK on DSD. I too would choose Hirez PCM over DSD on the Qute HD.

I wonder how the DSD-only Lampizator DAC would fare against the Qute EX, which according to CoolHand is a leap forward in DSD audio reproduction as far as the Chord DAC line is concerned.

I do not perceive the differences as being at all 'tiny', but instead clearly far better with apparently more bass, dynamics, liveliness, and spacial definition compared to the HD's somewhat flaccid & uninvolving interpretation of DSD media....

The Hugo runs off rechargeable battery, 14 hr autonomiy, AND it uses 18K tap length, vs just 10K for the Qute. On paper, its a higher class of animal.

The question is, will the rechargeable battery inside the Hugo deliver higher-quality power than the stock PSU sold together with the Qute HD?

SuperHirez sells DSD downloads of any and all SACD rips they get their hands on.

Strange, as Reference Recordings already provided them with the 24/176.4 PCM masters, so they know full well that the recordings they sell as "DSD downloads" are not DSD.

Hiro,

I will reiterate for my last attempt at this, and then move on: although the provenance oif NJ's recordings is a fascinating topic, please make it for another thread. My whole darn point is that the unknown source for these two 2012 remastering projects were then transferred directly to either DSD (in the case of Kevin Grays' SACD project) or 24/192 (in the case of Greg Calibi's PCM project). I then played BOTH uncoverted files (DSD from SACD, PCM from HDTracks) on BOTH DACs, making the simple case that the DSD files sounded better than the PCM ones on the Meitner; and that the PCM files sounded better than the DSD files on the Chord. The provenance of the original recording, prior to Kevin and Greg's work, is moot to a great extent, as I played both on both.

I still contend that Coolhand is describing the effects of integer support on A+, something that wasn't yet there when he played the HD DAC. I may be wrong.

Hiro,

I will reiterate for my last attempt at this, and then move on: although the provenance oif NJ's recordings is a fascinating topic, please make it for another thread.

It is fascinating in that it invalidates the entire comparison, as no NJ recording was ever made in DSD.

In my opinion, the only valid way to evaluate the DSD performance of a DSD DAC is with true DSD recordings like this https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/violin-concertos

Of course Jared's is DSD, and of course I played it and hundreds of other native DSD recordings on both DACs. I work with them, for gosh sakes. That's me on the left (bottom pic)

On The Right: DSD | Stereophile.com