IGNORED

Article: Chord Electronics QuteHD Review

Yep, I agree 100%. And not just downloads. I suspect many of the early digital transfers of '50s and '60s material...

And not just the transfers of '50s material but new recordings as well. Those who believe that 16bit/44kHz is enough should put their money where their mouths are, and limit their music purchases to 16/44 content.

And not just the transfers of '50s material but new recordings as well. Those who believe that 16bit/44kHz is enough should put their money where their mouths are, and limit their music purchases to 16/44 content.

Limit their purchases? My view is totally the opposite. Buy the music you like in whatever format it's available... and enjoy the music. DACs like the CuteHD(EX) allow you to do this - by all accounts it performs well irrespective of the format you feed it. Surely this is the way to go, no?

But FWIW, although I've got a bunch of hirez-PCM and DSD files (I was an early adopter), I can't remember the last time I bought and downloaded any. Nowadays, I'm quite happy continuing to buy and rip CDs. But everyone to their own...

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Ted, regarding the new drivers...

Yes I find the support for Integer & Direct modes on either the HD or EX provides for a more satisfying listening experience overall, in conjunction with Audirvana 1.5.10 at least, which remains my preferred 2 channel playback software.

Nice review Ted! I appreciate your reference to Haden's "Heartplay" as I had somehow missed adding this to my collection. I just downloaded it and am enjoying it as I type, it's a fantastic listen!

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

Seems like a nice dac. One thing I noticed with my Meitner ma-1 is how sensitive it is when it comes to the positioning of the power cord. I had a rather polite and non-involving sound which was further exposed when I bought a better interconnect. I then had to do something and it was just luck I turned the power cord 180 degrees in the wall outlet. Now the life was back with nice dynamics, I was really surprised!

+1 on checking orientation of figure 8 power cables. I have been conscious of this for some time. Another case being a Marshall Stanmore Bluetooth speaker I bought towards end of last year. That was affected by the same issue, my chosen orientation, giving a more musical and 'right' sound.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Sorry......duplication.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Hi Ted. Great review. I like your reviewing style. Just chipping in that the m2tech Young dac uses a Field Gate Programmable array also. I can't say about the M2tech Vaughan. However, while the Young dac handles up to 32bit 384khz, it does not do DSD. It must be converted to PCM.

Duplication.

Hi Ted. Great review. I like your reviewing style. Just chipping in that the m2tech Young dac uses a Field Gate Programmable array also. I can't say about the M2tech Vaughan. However, while the Young dac handles up to 32bit 384khz, it does not do DSD. It must be converted to PCM.

Young DSD DAC handles DSD up to 5.6448MHz (128FS)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/new-m2tech-young-direct-stream-digital-pre-digital-analogue-converter-18287/

I’m starting the new year by wondering how damn good the updated Chord Qute HD-EX will be. Early reports are that it’s added 24/384k and DSD128 playback capability is not only a feature addition, but a sonic upgrade as well!! Some are saying the DSD performance has been significantly improved (which supports my claims of the QuteHD).

Ted, given your extensive experience with the Chord HD DAC, it would be great if you could write a review comparing it with the newly released Qute EX. I don't know about others, but personally I'm not considering getting the old Qute HD anymore, now that the upgraded EX version is out.

Ted, given your extensive experience with the Chord HD DAC, it would be great if you could write a review comparing it with the newly released Qute EX. I don't know about others, but personally I'm not considering getting the old Qute HD anymore, now that the upgraded EX version is out.

Yes I'm gonna get on knees with the distributor and ask for mercy.....and an EX.....and a Hugo

Yes I'm gonna get on knees with the distributor and ask for mercy.....and an EX.....and a Hugo

I'm curious if the Hugo is a further improvement over the EX in terms of sound quality or if it differs only in functionality. Both DACs support the same audio formats (including DSD128), and are priced at the same level. Hmm..

I'm curious if the Hugo is a further improvement over the EX in terms of sound quality or if it differs only in functionality. Both DACs support the same audio formats (including DSD128), and are priced at the same level. Hmm..

Limited feedback I got:

Upgraded to the Qute EX. Burning in now. DSD appears to be fixed and sounds better (maybe that came with second gen HDs). More info as it settles

Well, if you genuinely believe that 16/44 redbook is enough, then purchasing any higher-rez content just doesn't make any sense.

Hiro, I believe you are misrepresenting what Mani said...

He didn't say that higher than red book isn't better (or doesn't make sense) he just agreed (with the Qute designer) that done well CDRB can be better than high resolution done badly.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hiro, I believe you are misrepresenting what Mani said...

He didn't say that higher than red book isn't better (or doesn't make sense) he just agreed (with the Qute designer) that done well CDRB can be better than high resolution done badly.

Eloise

There's no mention of "high resolution done badly" here:

"I kind of agree with John Franks (CEO of Chord). The issue with redbook hasn't been it's 16/44.1 resolution, but rather the 'poor' DACs that we've used in the past to play these files back on, especially their filters."

There's no mention of "high resolution done badly" here:

"I kind of agree with John Franks (CEO of Chord). The issue with redbook hasn't been it's 16/44.1 resolution, but rather the 'poor' DACs that we've used in the past to play these files back on, especially their filters."

Hiro, there is also no mention there that redbook cannot be bettered by hi-rez...

But I have listened to redbook in dCS systems that I believe that you would not be able to discern from Hi-rez...

I believe that using a state of the art dac, redbook is very close to hi-rez...in a way that maybe it's dificult to discern the diference (I did no AB in that dCS to be able to be completely sure, but that redbook sound was gourgeous, extended, deep, amazing...).

This part: "The issue with redbook hasn't been it's 16/44.1 resolution" suggests just that.

Aaah, there is where your misinterpretation is...

I see no problem in accepting the improvement on dac implementation (and digital filters, as part of that evolution) took redbook to another level. I have experience that...unfortunately to me, it costs a lot...

The way I read it, it takes a very good dac to extract all the detail in a CD - give, of course, there is detail there to be extracted, meaning a good recording and mastering...

Now about hi-rez, and according to my limited mileage, results vary.

Some things are clearly better on hi-rez (huge orchestral works with lots of dynamic, for example)....other things are too close to redbook...

Limited feedback I got:

Upgraded to the Qute EX. Burning in now. DSD appears to be fixed and sounds better (maybe that came with second gen HDs). More info as it settles

The Qute HD was Chord's first foray into the DSD world, so it doesn't surprise me they found a room for improvement in their initial design. Looking forward to reading your review of the EX.

I see no problem in accepting the improvement on dac implementation (and digital filters, as part of that evolution) took redbook to another level.

As long as people claiming that "16/44.1 resolution is not the problem" clearly state that it's just their opinion (to which they are perfectly entitled), I see no problem with it either.

Hello there

Really enjoyed this review Ted, for a newbie like me very easy to read. Also made me think about the upgrades to my own DAC (lindemann usb-dac 24/192) and maybe updating the power supply, and using maybe a SPDIF to usb converter.

Was also reading about this DAC in What Hi-Fi reviews here.

Thanks again.

Cheers Frank

PC>JRiver> Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192> White Bird Amplification VIRTUS-01> Sennheiser HD650 headphones

PC>JRiver> Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192> Cyrus 6VS> Dali Zensor 1