IGNORED

Article: Chord Electronics QuteHD Review

Yes, it works fine. I will try the new driver once the EX arrives (I bought one :) ).

Thanks for the info regarding JPLAY and look forward to the review. Shame the QuteHD's usb input isn't quite up to the standards of the coaxial, as it means extra expense in getting a decent usb to coaxial converter. The EX is the same in that regards according to a recent review I read. Other than that inconvenience, it seems an enticing DAC and definitely one for the short-list.

John769,

The Chord's USB input is very good. The Chord is a very good USB DAC. It may even have still won my product of the year plaudits........but....the SPDIF in the HD was that much better, yes. But don't not consider it if all you have is USB. Think of saving and shopping for a USB SPDIF converter over the next 12 months a sort of built in upgrade path. First upgrade, though, is the 12V linear.

This was a very good review. I own the QuteHD and connect to it via coaxial SPDIF from a Sonore Rendu renderer, which is CASH listed. I prefer to use a single purpose renderer and bypass USB altogether. The best possible conversion is not having to do the conversion in the first place. As I said in my review in the comment section of CA's review of the Rendu, a general purpose computer-based system was never designed to handle the real-time task of replaying music accurately. Music software does what it can to mitigate the deleterious effects of competing processes, cheap power supplies, electrically noisy components, etc., but it is better to start with a system that doesn't have the harmful effects in the first place.

I was very intrigued by the idea of upgrading the power supply. Could someone explain how this is done. I thought that external power supplies have DC cables for their outputs.

Is the Hynes SR3-12 the consensus pick as the best external linear power supply? If not, which other ones should I consider?

By the way, the Hynes website is awful. It doesn't look like it has been updated since 2008. I couldn't find the SR3-12 on there nor any information on how to buy.

Finally, how did the QuteHD not make the CASH list???

I was considering the Hynes SR3-12, but because of price and time to delivery, I purchased the teddypardo 12/4 power supply. Got it in about 2 wks, the Hynes was going to take 16 wks IIRC. Request the 2.1mm plug. Teddy will be happy to answer any technical questions via email.

Teddy12/4 - 12V 4.5A Power Supply | Generic Power supplies | Power Supplies | TeddyPardo

I am very happy the 12/4, it was a clear improvement. It does require considerable burn in however to sound it's best. I understand the Hynes is an excellent choice also if you are willing to wait for it.

Jim

I was considering the Hynes SR3-12, but because of price and time to delivery, I purchased the teddypardo 12/4 power supply. Got it in about 2 wks, the Hynes was going to take 16 wks IIRC. Request the 2.1mm plug. Teddy will be happy to answer any technical questions via email.

Teddy12/4 - 12V 4.5A Power Supply | Generic Power supplies | Power Supplies | TeddyPardo

I am very happy the 12/4, it was a clear improvement. It does require considerable burn in however to sound it's best. I understand the Hynes is an excellent choice also if you are willing to wait for it.

Jim

First off, the Chord QuteHD's specs say: "Power supply: 12v 1A 2.1mm connector"

So I'm curious about why you linked to and bought that specific Teddy Pardo PSU, this model: Teddy12/4 - 12V 4.5A Power Supply

The voltage is the same as the Chord's specs, but the amperage is much higher.

Meanwhile, Teddy Pardo also sells this PSU: Teddy12/2 - 12V 2A Power Supply

Since that unit's voltage is also the same as the Chord's specs, but the amperage is closer, wouldn't that be a better choice?

And if not a better choice, why not?

Dave, whose lack of knowledge about various electrical terms could fill a blog

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

First off, the Chord QuteHD's specs say: "Power supply: 12v 1A 2.1mm connector"

So I'm curious about why you linked to and bought that specific Teddy Pardo PSU, this model: Teddy12/4 - 12V 4.5A Power Supply

The voltage is the same as the Chord's specs, but the amperage is much higher.

Meanwhile, Teddy Pardo also sells this PSU: Teddy12/2 - 12V 2A Power Supply

Since that unit's voltage is also the same as the Chord's specs, but the amperage is closer, wouldn't that be a better choice?

And if not a better choice, why not?

Dave, whose lack of knowledge about various electrical terms could fill a blog

That was the power supply that Teddy recommended in response to my inquiry. In any case, as I understand it, the Chord will only use the amperage that it needs, so I would think that the 12/2 would work as well. However, by getting the larger one, I have some additional flexibility if I decide to use it with a different unit. If you are interested, I am sure Teddy would be happy to explain further.

Jim

Update on Hynes:

Paul Hynes Audio Ltd

« on: 7 Jan 2014, 04:34 pm »

Paul Hynes Audio Ltd new manufacturing facility is now operational. This facility has been set up to take over production and administration of my Paul Hynes Design product range. It is not possible to transfer the whole range at once due to the size of the range, the time required for the product documentation and the staff training on the production line, so over the next few years I will gradually transfer the Paul Hynes Design product range to the new manufacturing facility. I will post a notification on my forum trade thread when each product is transferred for availability from the new manufacturing facility. A web site for Paul Hynes Audio Ltd is currently under development and I will also post a notice when this is on-line.

I have already transferred two products into the new company. The very popular SR3 power supply previously sold by myself as Paul Hynes Design and the new lower cost Paul Hynes Audio SR2 power supply designed as a low cost upgrade for both switching and linear wall-warts and other external power supplies, supplied with many audio products nowadays.

The SR2 power supply can provide 1.4 amps DC and is available in the following DC voltages :- 3v3, 5v, 6v, 7v, 9v, 12v, 15v, 18v and 21v. The SR2 is supplied with a mains lead and a DC lead terminated with a DC plug to suit your equipment DC jack. Alternative connectors can be fitted if required at extra cost. The SR2 power supply costs £195.

The latest model of the SR3 power supply is available in the following DC voltage/current ratings :-

3v3 2A, 5v 3A, 6v 2A, 7v 2A, 9v 2A, 12v 2A, 15v 1.6A, 18v 1.4A, 21v 1.4A. The SR3 is a higher performance power supply than the SR2 and it is not supplied with a mains lead, as most customers prefer to use after market upgrade IEC mains leads with the SR3. The SR3 costs £300. The DC lead is also a separate item as several options are available for the SR3. The DC3C annealed copper DC lead costs £50 and the DC3FS annealed fine silver DC lead costs £85. The internal wiring from the regulator module to the DC output connector can be specified as fine silver for an additional £10 when the power supply is ordered or £20 plus return carriage when retro-fitted.

Because there are now more technicians available for production at PHA Ltd, both the SR2 and the SR3 are now available on a short lead time to shipping, which is currently between 5 to 15 working days.

Contact details are :-

For orders contact David Webb

e-mail [email protected]

Telephone 01953 883840

For product technical advice contact Paul Hynes

e-mail [email protected]

The business address for the new manufacturing company is

Paul Hynes Audio Ltd,

Unit 10 Linmore Court,

Threxton Road Industrial Estate,

Watton,

Norfolk,

IP25 6NG

All the best for the New Year

Regards

Paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul Hynes

Re: Paul Hynes Audio Ltd

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2014, 02:58 pm »

Hello Rob,

If you are using efficient loudspeakers or play your music at moderate levels with inefficient loudspeakers, the SR5-30 works well with the Virtue One.2 and from Seth’s description of the Virtue One.3 I see no reason why it would not work with the .3 also. It can deliver 3.3 Amps continuous and 40 Amps transient. If you are looking for higher power delivery into low efficiency loudspeakers and play your music loud then the SR7EHD-30 would be the better choice as it can deliver 5.2 Amps continuous and 60 Amps transient. The exceptional transient delivery of these power supplies will give you a very stable sound stage under all musical transient conditions without dynamic compression or clipping within the full rated power of the amplifier.

Unfortunately I have not yet transferred either of these power supply designs over to Paul Hynes Audio Ltd yet and I would expect that the transfer of the SR5 will be at least 8 months away as we have other products to transfer before the SR5. The SR7 will follow after the SR5. I can make these power supplies personally for you as Paul Hynes Design custom build but I do have long lead times at present, due to my current work load. To help you decide where to go with this, currently the SR5-30 costs £525 and the SR7EHD-30 costs £650. High performance 1 metre high current DC leads terminated for the Virtue One.3 will cost £45. I can quote shipping costs once I know the destination.

If you are interested in discussing this further, it would be better to use e-mail as this thread has been set up for Paul Hynes Audio Ltd and I would prefer to keep the thread purely for Paul Hynes audio Ltd topics. My e-mail address is [email protected]

Regards

Paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul Hynes

Re: Paul Hynes Audio Ltd

16 Jan 2014, 06:36 pm

Please note that Paul Hynes Audio Ltd and Paul Hynes Design are separate businesses. Paul Hynes Audio Ltd are manufacturing selected products under license from Paul Hynes Design but do not get involved with Paul Hynes Design day to day business activity. They are located over 350 miles away in England and they do not have access to Paul Hynes Design business records, therefore they cannot answer questions about Paul Hynes Design.

Please do not PM or e-mail Paul Hynes Audio Ltd regarding Paul Hynes Design business.

If you want to contact me at Paul Hynes Design either PM or e-mail me. There will be delays answering queries due to the down time caused by the December Atlantic storms that did widespread damage to the island infrastructure and, of course the Christmas and New Year holidays, but I will get to you eventually so please be patient.

Regards

Paul

Another nice review Ted, well done. I waited a long time for this, but it came a little to late so I jumped on the exaSound e20mkIII. Since you have now heard both, any comments on a comparison between the two. You can PM me if you wish as not to take away from this nice review.

Ted, I too am interested in the comparison to the exaSound units. Your thoughts please.

Comparisons of those two DACs are difficult in that they are very different designs (FPGA vs SABRE). But suffice it to say that if your system and listening needs are more to DSD, then buy the exaSound E20 MKIII. If your catalog and listening needs are more PCM, then the Chord is the DAC for you. Each does the other format fine, but it's sweetspot is clearly in that camp. Furthermore, if you used neutral as a 5 on a zero to 10 scale, I would put the exaSound at 5.5 and the Chord at 6.5 (slightly more warm), with both of them a smidge more warm than neutral (which is my personal liking by the way)..

The Meitner, at quite a bit more money, is slightly better at DSD than the exaSound...but it should be (and with all these wonderful DACs the last 10% is very elusive and often very expensive). And is more like a 5 on the neutral scale.

And there is also the exaSound e28 which adds Multichannel DSD and PCM playback up to DSD256. Also worth considering if you are in the market for a DSD DAC.

Yes, I own it. :) (And reviewed it here)

I've added an addendum section to the end of the review. There I will document settling in the new Qute EX (and Hugo someday I hope), differences to the HD, etc.

I've added an addendum section to the end of the review. There I will document settling in the new Qute EX (and Hugo someday I hope), differences to the HD, etc.

is the new ex worth buying than qutehd in your listening experience?

i am about to buy beetween this two dac and i dont have any linear power supply , spdif converter.

the price difference in indonesia here is around 500 us

actually i have 3 dac in mind before iam taking decision to upgrade my centrance mini cx which i using now

1. W4s Dac-2 DSDseW4

2. Chord qute ex or Chord qute hd

3. Benchmark DAC2 HGC

can Qute Ex defeat them all

my music files almost 75% 16bit 44khz and 24bit 92khz

Hugo79, all three of those DACs have gotten great reviews. All I can say is that for PCM (75% of your library) I am now convinced the leading architectures are FPGA and R2R. Don't forget about Chord's new Hugo! Almost twice the processing power and resolution power (taps) of the Qute series.

John769, I haven't heard the PureDAc yet. Sorry.

Hugo79, all three of those DACs have gotten great reviews. All I can say is that for PCM (75% of your library) I am now convinced the leading architectures are FPGA and R2R. Don't forget about Chord's new Hugo! Almost twice the processing power and resolution power (taps) of the Qute series.

John769, I haven't heard the PureDAc yet. Sorry.

thanks ted but still iam curious is qute ex realy worth buying compare to qutehd

( no linear power supply and spdif converter just usb connection or optical toslink from my onboard motherboard)

if the difference only ex can play higher resolution file and higher dsd file and no improvement in sound quality. maybe i will choose qutehd instead.

about hugo iam not interested coz it is for mobile. only desktop dac iam interested

Doing some digging. I assumed that the larger Qute's would be better than smaller Hugo but not so according to a user comment below the hifi plus review:

"Beguilingly more refined in ALL aspects than the exceptional QuteEX, there is something extremely special about its high frequency response, that being the absolute lack of granularity, and an unforced delicate sweetness which marks a true departure from what has been the very bane of digital replay.... "

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/first-listen-chord-electronics-hugo-portable-high-res-dacheadphone-amp/?page=5

Does the Qute HD take it's power over the usb input? The Hugo doesn't...

See Hugo review here: Chord Hugo Mobile DAC/Headphone Amp | AudioStream

Note that the reviewer thinks the Hugo is a very good DAC for a full high end system, as well as being good at mobile.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I've had a. Qute EX since they came out, it is exceptional as was it's predecessor, as Ted has ably demonstrated in his review! However, I'm a bit peeved if Hugo is as good as the initial reviews are suggesting, because like anyone I would have held out to pay the same money for a better DAC, plus a stonking headphone amp!!!

Chord are themselves claiming that it's the best 32 bit DAC they have produced and admitting on their website that the tap length is twice the size of Qute EX. You have to question where that leaves the Qute range?

perhaps we can upgrade to the Hugo motherboard if iscthat revolutionary?!

Anyway at the moment this is mainly conjecture, but it has also been given an Audiostream Greatest bits award, though the reviewer preferred his Ayre DAC for it's body!

Chord Hugo Mobile DAC/Headphone Amp | AudioStream

Time will tell, let's hope Ted can get his hands on one soon :-)

Ray

Doing some digging. I assumed that the larger Qute's would be better than smaller Hugo but not so according to a user comment below the hifi plus review:

"Beguilingly more refined in ALL aspects than the exceptional QuteEX, there is something extremely special about its high frequency response, that being the absolute lack of granularity, and an unforced delicate sweetness which marks a true departure from what has been the very bane of digital replay.... "

First Listen: Chord Electronics Hugo portable high res DAC/headphone amp | Hi-Fi+

Does the Qute HD take it's power over the usb input? The Hugo doesn't...