IGNORED

Auralic Aries UPnP Renderer: Double DSD Over Wi-Fi

Has anyone in Canada ordered an Aries (the $1600 version) directly from Auralic and received it? I know it's early days yet but would be grateful for an indication of total price when delivered.

I'm paying 1,599 delivered from a dealer in the Northeast .There are no dealers in my state.

I'm in Canada too - BC. Thinking of ordering directly from Auralic (or maybe just drive south for a few hours and pick one up on a bit of a holiday?). I'd like to know final price too - including import duties, as product is not made in USA.

Itching to get one. Just need to read some "final" reviews and make sure of compatibility with a proposed dac/preamp purchase.

Might want to give The Headphone Bar a call in Vancouver, they are an Auralic dealer.

headphonebar.com

That's where I have my name down. They've got half a dozen arriving in the next week or two. I plan to bring my Auraliti PK90 in to compare sound quality.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Update:

I tested the Aries with the PS Audio Directstream DAC (and yes, as per DS thread I installed the latest DXD-capable firmware back in early June). This test was not for serious listening, but just enough to know that the handshakes were glitch-free and that the sound was fine (no dropouts, etc)

USB: all sample rates from 44.1k to 352.8k, and DSD64 and DSD128

coax/AES: 44.1k-192k and DSD64 (AES would not play 176.4k PCM for me but I think it was just a hiccup with the app)

toslink: 44k-96K (a PS Audio limitation)

Update:

I tested the Aries with the PS Audio Directstream DAC (and yes, as per DS thread I installed the latest DXD-capable firmware back in early June). This test was not for serious listening, but just enough to know that the handshakes were glitch-free and that the sound was fine (no dropouts, etc)

USB: all sample rates from 44.1k to 352.8k, and DSD64 and DSD128

coax/AES: 44.1k-192k and DSD64 (AES would not play 176.4k PCM for me but I think it was just a hiccup with the app)

toslink: 44k-96K (a PS Audio limitation)

Thx!

So from your preliminary tests I presume everything worked out according to your expectations, then (?)

Waiting in suspense for your verdict on the SQ.

Thx!

So from your preliminary tests I presume everything worked out according to your expectations, then (?)

Waiting in suspense for your verdict on the SQ.

The relative SQ was easy as it followed the SQ of my cabling. USB was the best, followed by AES and then coax. But my USB cable (and the fact that it was the only one that did DXD and DSD128) is sooo much better than the others, so not sure this means much to you. I would say once you get the Aries try each one and decide for yourself. It is also very dependent on DAC input strengths.

The relative SQ was easy as it followed the SQ of my cabling. USB was the best, followed by AES and then coax. But my USB cable (and the fact that it was the only one that did DXD and DSD128) is sooo much better than the others, so not sure this means much to you. I would say once you get the Aries try each one and decide for yourself. It is also very dependent on DAC input strengths.

To me your findings are encouraging and pretty much as expected.

I actually just want to know if you consider this combo a real winner via USB.

For the USB I have my JCAT USB cable standing idle.

Thanks for posting. Just downloaded the application as well to my iPad. No Aires yet, however comparing to Lumin application by browsing my MinimServer music collection. Hmmmmm.......

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Like you no aries, just use it with minimserver on my ipad and a SOtM SmS-100. I would say that the DS application don't have the maturity of the lumin one and quite buggy

I would concur with your assessment.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Is the Lightning DS based on itunes as well ?

it doesn't require nor work with iTunes. Not quite sure what you mean by "based on iTunes"?

Lumin app is based on iTunes; therefore my question

Please elaborate on this one. The GUI and features does not look like iTunes at all (which is good). Is this something Li On at PixelMagic has stated?

Or do you mean that the Lumin app is only available for Apple iPad?

The initial version of Lightning DS is in App Store right now. Please use keyword 'lightning ds' or 'auralic' to locate it. It will request iOS 7.1 and above to run.

Please be noticed that we dont guarantee the program can use with other manufacture's hardware as it is designed for our hardware only.