IGNORED

New daily deal at eclassical!

DAILY DEAL

50% Discount on eClassical

Vol 1 of 3 of the Danzi Complete Wind Quintets and Piano Quintets with no less than the Berlin Philharmonic Wind quintet and Love Derwinger, piano. With artists like that, even Danzi's music becomes interesting. RvB

You've gotta love Robert Von Bahr. He must be the world's worst (ie most honest) salesman.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

DAILY DEAL

Vol 1 of 3 of the Danzi Complete Wind Quintets and Piano Quintets with no less than the Berlin Philharmonic Wind quintet and Love Derwinger, piano. With artists like that, even Danzi's music becomes interesting. RvB

You've gotta love Robert Von Bahr. He must be the world's worst (ie most honest) salesman.

Actually, I personally think that with a rather educated audience like I assume the typical eclassical customer to be, less bullshit may actually translate into more sales.

Actually, I personally think that with a rather educated audience like I assume the typical eclassical customer to be, less bullshit may actually translate into more sales.

I agree. Robert von Bahr in general persuades me to buy when he is really enthusiastic about a recording, precisely because he is frank when music is less attractive (though I also buy in such circumstances as well out of curiosity).

Albeniz piano music is 1/2 price today. I especially recommend Iberia (book 2), La Vega, and Asturies from Espangne (tracks 1-3, 11 & 15).

FWIW, La Vega is the longest uninterrupted piece I know by Albeniz, and its entire duration is interesting and non-repetitious.

Baselga uses imaginative rubato and dynamics, but I have to concede that Alicia de Larrocha surpasses him in Iberia. I don't know whether Larrocha recorded the other pieces here. In any event, if you don't want to pay full price for de Larrocha, or if you want more modern sound, buying tracks 1-3, 11 and 15 would be a very economical introduction to Albeniz.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Today: Flute Concertos by Rodrigo and Ibert. I thoroughly recommend it. These are fun pieces. Phenomenal soloist and sound quality (24/44.1). The Sao Paulo orchestra is excellent, too, though the brass may be struggling with some of the tricky bits in the Rodrigo. . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Robert von Bahr is not exactly enthusiastic about today's offering:

DAILY DEAL

Arvid Kleven? A new detergent? No, a Norwegian Romantic composer. Inoffensive music, very well played by the Stavanger SO under the Finnish star conductor Susanna Mälkki. Only wish the music could inspire me more... RvB

Can anyone provide any insight on the Glazunov complete symphonies package that is currently on sale for USD 20.18? I'm tempted, but ...

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Can anyone provide any insight on the Glazunov complete symphonies package that is currently on sale for USD 20.18? I'm tempted, but ...

Are you asking about the quality of Glazunov's symphonies or these performances?

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

I buy some of his stuff precisely because of that. l trust his recordings to be good, and trust what he says about the performances.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'd recommend the Serebrier recordings.

Barry Brenesal, the Fanfare magazine critic most enamored of Glazunov, also prefers Serebrier. He feels Otaka on BIS does a good job on the slow movements but is extremely dull on the other movements.

Daverz, which Glazunov symphony do you consider most interesting?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything about today's offering on eClassical: Rameau - "Pièces de clavecin en concerts?" It is a 20-bit, 44.1KHz recording.

Thanks.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Does anyone know anything about today's offering on eClassical: Rameau - "Pièces de clavecin en concerts?" It is a 20-bit, 44.1KHz recording.

Thanks.

I am not an expert on this, but web-international reviewed it here, suggesting other record like this, but of course the price is much higher. Actually, the latter one I could quite like.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Thanks.

I didn't even know there were 20bit recordings out there. I've never seen one before.

I also found this review:

Rameau: Pieces de clavecin/London Baroque - Classics Today

suggesting this recording as an alternative:

Rachel Podger - Rameau - Channel Classics Records

I'm personally a big Rachel Podger fan, so I'd give this one a listen (albeit more expensive), before buying the BIS.

• 2 weeks later...

New release of Mozart's Requiem at eClassical at a special price; 24/96 BIS recording. I am tempted but I would be unable to listen as my stereo is packed up in preparation for a move to a new house (and new state). Would be very interested to know if anyone gives this a try.

4906325-origpic-6b5635.jpg

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

New release of Mozart's Requiem at eClassical at a special price; 24/96 BIS recording. I am tempted but I would be unable to listen as my stereo is packed up in preparation for a move to a new house (and new state). Would be very interested to know if anyone gives this a try.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15324[/ATTACH]

From reading the email from eClassical, sounds like this is a one-off version put together by Suzuki. Not sure about that, I do prefer the Sussmayer edition.

From reading the email from eClassical, sounds like this is a one-off version put together by Suzuki. Not sure about that, I do prefer the Sussmayer edition.

I was thinking "Oh, no, not one more recording of Mozart's Requiem", but if it's a new way of completing the score, it becomes more tempting to me...