IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Looking for some advice on using Tidal with my dual pc setup. Running:

Software:

Programs:

- Audiophil's - Audiophile Optimizer in Core mode on Audio PC and GUI mode on Control PC.

- JRiver Media Centre 19

- Jplay - latest

Are there any special settings I will need to fix on AO, Jriver or Jplay to make Tidal work?

Is any one using Tidal or Qobuz with a dual PC setup like mine?

Thanks.

Mike,

I am running virtually the same set-up as you, AO + Jplay + JRMC in a dual pc setup.

The difference is I am using JRMC 20. They made a nice update in 20 where you can make JRMC your default device in the Windows control panel. This way no matter what audio plays(YouTube, Qobuz or anything) your ASIO output selected will play the audio. This is cool as now I can listen to EVERYTHING through my dual pc kick-ass audio system.

If you update to JRMC 20, be careful. They have banned Jplay in their latest releases. I am running version 20.0.41 which is prior to the ban. I have now disabled the updater so this is the version I will use until someone comes out with something better. :( Or unless they come out with a feature I must have....then there are some scripts available which can defeat the Jplay ban.

Making JRMC your default device is a cool feature that will allow you to play anything through your 2 pc streamer.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

Hi

until yesterday, streaming from my laptop was with no issue with DSD/DFF files. CPU utilization was no more than 10%. All of a sudden, on some albums CPU util is going to 100% for not less than 10 sec (!?) ... I didn't change anything in settings. Even with buffer increased it's the same thing... fans inside my laptop are so noisy that I can hear them from almost 10 ft distance.. I tought that PC that I'm using was capable enough for that and it was until yesterday... what could be the problem? Can anyone help me with that?

Hi

until yesterday, streaming from my laptop was with no issue with DSD/DFF files. CPU utilization was no more than 10%. All of a sudden, on some albums CPU util is going to 100% for not less than 10 sec (!?) ... I didn't change anything in settings. Even with buffer increased it's the same thing... fans inside my laptop are so noisy that I can hear them from almost 10 ft distance.. I tought that PC that I'm using was capable enough for that and it was until yesterday... what could be the problem? Can anyone help me with that?

Hardware-wise your pc is still as capable as always...even an intel atom is enough for music play duties. You have some serious software issues but that could be pretty much anything ... maybe someone else changed settings, maybe there was a bad autoupdate, maybe you got a virus, maybe....

Mike,

I am running virtually the same set-up as you, AO + Jplay + JRMC in a dual pc setup.

The difference is I am using JRMC 20. They made a nice update in 20 where you can make JRMC your default device in the Windows control panel. This way no matter what audio plays(YouTube, Qobuz or anything) your ASIO output selected will play the audio. This is cool as now I can listen to EVERYTHING through my dual pc kick-ass audio system.

Making JRMC your default device is a cool feature that will allow you to play anything through your 2 pc streamer.

It is cool that you managed to achieve that! Most probably your control PC does not run in core mode (if it does, then everything that I write below is useless and I need some advice from you!!).

For me that I run a single PC setup in Core mode with AO and I do not intend to change that, this has been the biggest disadvantage of Core 2012 + AO, taken as a complete system: being unable to also use it in conjunction with a music streaming service for the purposes of more casual listening, music discovery and the enjoyment of the rest of my family.

I have tried many things in Core mode: qobuz just hangs, spotify with equalify plugin does nothing, I had no luck with spotify+equalify+vb-audio aisio bridge either, shairport4w does not seem to receive, the same goes for airfoil, which hangs. The only working solution for me so far is to use the Gmusic cast to UPNP software on my android devices together with version 5.5 of Google music (newer versions are not working) to stream from my tablet/smartphone to foobar2000 with upnp server plugin in Core 2012 + AO. Yes, this is working, but is not ideal: ideally, music should originate in the Core PC and not be streamed over from a tablet that runs an old version of Google music.

If someone has a single PC setup in Core mode and has managed to make, for example, Spotify play using various tricks then please share the solution here. Otherwise, I will make a sound quality comparison between core and minimal mode of 2012 + AO, and if I do not find differences I will change to minimal server mode permanently, where music streaming applications can work.

Thank you.

Hi

These are all WASAPI based Players. Why do you expect them to work in core mode? You need minimal-server mode to make them work.

Best,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Thanks Phil,

I was just hoping that with software like Equalify (enables you to select audio output for Spotify), vb-audio asio bridge I would be able to make Spotify sing in core mode. Or that with Sharport4w or Airfoil I could trick other devices and send Apple stream. But each time something went wrong.

Don't mind me, I like to experiment whenever I have the time :) I will give minimal-server mode a serious consideration. Thanks again.

I am having trouble installing WS 2012 R2 Essentials on my DH61DL following Phil's very good instructions, except I did not eject the USB boot stick after the installation was done, DOH !

When I run the initial OS loading, I get an error message no network driver found. I tried to install 2013 Win 8 driver downloaded from Intel website, and I get the report no NIC installed !

On Intel's website they say their "Desktop" mobo's do not support WS 2008 -2012 and no drivers will be offered in the future

any work arounds ? Install a PCI NIC that has compatible driver for WS 2012 R2 Essentials ?

what's the SQ difference between slimmed down Win 8 compared to WS 2012 ?

Phil, Happy New Year !

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

I am having trouble installing WS 2012 R2 Essentials on my DH61DL following Phil's very good instructions, except I did not eject the USB boot stick after the installation was done, DOH !

When I run the initial OS loading, I get an error message no network driver found. I tried to install 2013 Win 8 driver downloaded from Intel website, and I get the report no NIC installed !

On Intel's website they say their "Desktop" mobo's do not support WS 2008 -2012 and no drivers will be offered in the future

any work arounds ? Install a PCI NIC that has compatible driver for WS 2012 R2 Essentials ?

what's the SQ difference between slimmed down Win 8 compared to WS 2012 ?

Phil, Happy New Year !

Hi,

There are some links.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/anyone-find-2012-windows-server-lan-driver-intel-core-i7-3770t-processor-intel-dh77eb-board-16996/

Enable the Intel 82579V NIC in Windows Server 2012 - www.ivobeerens.nl

Anyone find a 2012 Windows Server LAN Driver for the Intel Core i7 3770T processor on the INtel DH77EB Board? | Computer Audio | Forum | JPLAY - hi-end audio player for Windows

Bob

Here's one trick I've used with some success in getting Intel LAN drivers to install in Windows Server 2012 R2, and it does not involve editing any of the Intel INF files in the driver collection.

With motherboards featuring Intel gigabit Ethernet, identify the Intel LAN model, e.g. 82579V, I217V or I218V. Do an "Update Driver" in Device Manager (do not run the Intel setup.exe) with the "Have Disk" option and manually select the "LM" equivalent Ethernet, after pointing Windows to the folder where the Intel driver binaries are located. For example, if the motherboard carries Intel I217V Ethernet, select "I217LM" from the list of LAN devices. For Windows Server 2012 R2, use the PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS64 subfolder.

This method gets the Intel LAN driver installed and seen as signed and certified by Windows, though the LAN device will appear as the "LM" (commercial) flavor instead of the "V" (consumer) flavor. There does not seem to be any harm in doing this, but YMMV.

Many thanks for the above, updating the network adapter driver via Control Panel worked like a charm !

the DH61DL has the Gigabit 82579V controller, and selecting the driver for

Intel® 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

successfully installed the driver with the warning "not recommended" or words to that effect

New Year's day has turned out much better than expected, an auspicious start to 2015

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Many thanks for the above, updating the network adapter driver via Control Panel worked like a charm !

the DH61DL has the Gigabit 82579V controller, and selecting the driver for

Intel® 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

successfully installed the driver with the warning "not recommended" or words to that effect

New Year's day has turned out much better than expected, an auspicious start to 2015

If you get problems, editing the .inf for the 82579V works well, I've done it several times see the second link in Bob's post above, it's a lot easier than it looks at first glance. There is a similar fix for the dh87rl boards as well which I have used but I prefer to use dedicated server boards with WS2012.

If you get problems, editing the .inf for the 82579V works well, I've done it several times see the second link in Bob's post above, it's a lot easier than it looks at first glance. There is a similar fix for the dh87rl boards as well which I have used but I prefer to use dedicated server boards with WS2012.

what sort of SQ difference have you observed with WS 2012 installed on server mobo's compared to desktop mobo's ? I can see OS install goes more smoothly ;-)

which server mobo and Server cpu's have you been happy with ?

whilst we are on the subject which USB card have you had the best results with ?

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

what sort of SQ difference have you observed with WS 2012 installed on server mobo's compared to desktop mobo's ? I can see OS install goes more smoothly ;-)

I haven't installed it on a desktop board for over 6 months but I did think the s1200kpr was preferred to boards like the dh77eb and dh87rl but the cases were different so not apples to apples and it wasn't a side by side test.

I also think a desktop board with W8.1 and HQPlayer could be preferred by some people and have spoken with audioPhil about how impressed I was with it. I haven't tried HQP within ws2012/AO yet (I know it is not recommended to do so) so will look out for your results.

which server mobo and Server cpu's have you been happy with ?

I still prefer the s1200kpr and the XEON 1265lv2 although the Asus that I use now isn't far off with a xeon 1240lv3. I'm concentrating on the quality A-Tech cases solely now though so I am limited to m-ITX boards which is very limiting with Intel withdrawing.

whilst we are on the subject which USB card have you had the best results with ?

I use a PPA V1 it's really good, the v3 doesn't fit my preferred case (A-Tech 2500) but the v4 will just about but would need blu-tac or similar for the OCXO so at present probably the JCAT but I am going to try and put a v3 card in a build I have in mind.

I hooked up the system that is runs on and I believe the files I had to copy in the the HQplayer folder were msvcp100.dll and msvcr100.dll. They are C runtime library files. The file system in HQplayer needs explorer so you will have to make playlist in GUI or copy and paste files in core mode.

did you have to modify registry to auto start HQ Player in Core since not an option in Service Tool for default program to start?

in Core you can still see the HQ Library window and move files from it to Transport window? So the only issue are playlists that need to be made or updated correct?

i tried HQ a bit ago but floundered not knowing what to do or set. But after finally seeing Geoffrey's QuickStart guide I am getting some questions together about HQ Player then "hopefully" Miska will grant me another trial license.

did you have to modify registry to auto start HQ Player in Core since not an option in Service Tool for default program to start?

in Core you can still see the HQ Library window and move files from it to Transport window? So the only issue are playlists that need to be made or updated correct?

i tried HQ a bit ago but floundered not knowing what to do or set. But after finally seeing Geoffrey's QuickStart guide I am getting some questions together about HQ Player they "hopefully" Miska will grant me another trial license.

I just start it manually from the desktop dir. You can use something like total commander for easier navigation. You can have playlists already set while in GUI mode and access them or drag folders or files into the player window using total commander.

I don't want to clog up this thread but I thought you may be interested in Pearse's report on Tir Na HiFi forum a few weeks back (if you haven't seen it).

Seb brought round his Paul Pang V1 USB card yesterday and we went through swapping and listening between these 3 cards:

Paul Pang V1 USB.

Paul Pang V3 USB.

JCat USB.

All were tested in the same Audio PC with Server Essentials 2012 R2 in Core mode with JPlay 5.2.1 and AO 1.30.

All were playing into the Big7 DAC with PPA Red USB cable.

Both PPA V1 & V3 cards were fed with 5v on Molex from an Anker Astro Pro2 20000 mA Battery.

The JCat had no 5v connected as the Big7 did not need the 5v line and all filtering was off on the card.

The PCI riser had the 3.3v supplied off a Teddy Pardo Linear supply for all 3 cards.

My impressions were:

PPA V1 had similar but probably better analogue sound than I remember from my V2 card and very similar to the latest V3 card but for me the V3 just had more warmth but still all the detail, so much so you tend to just focus on the music when you hear it through the V3 card.

The JCat has what appears to be a more defined brighter sound but after a while you really miss that warmth and musicality of the V3 card.

Some might prefer that sharper brighter presentation of the JCat card but the V3 is a clear winner for me with the V1 not too far behind.

I expect the V3 card will continue to improve over the coming days as I had only about 20 hours on it so far.

Cheers, Pearse.

Tír Na HiFi • View topic - PPang V3 USB Card

I haven't installed it on a desktop board for over 6 months but I did think the s1200kpr was preferred to boards like the dh77eb and dh87rl but the cases were different so not apples to apples and it wasn't a side by side test.

I also think a desktop board with W8.1 and HQPlayer could be preferred by some people and have spoken with audioPhil about how impressed I was with it. I haven't tried HQP within ws2012/AO yet (I know it is not recommended to do so) so will look out for your results.

I still prefer the s1200kpr and the XEON 1265lv2 although the Asus that I use now isn't far off with a xeon 1240lv3. I'm concentrating on the quality A-Tech cases solely now though so I am limited to m-ITX boards which is very limiting with Intel withdrawing.

I use a PPA V1 it's really good, the v3 doesn't fit my preferred case (A-Tech 2500) but the v4 will just about but would need blu-tac or similar for the OCXO so at present probably the JCAT but I am going to try and put a v3 card in a build I have in mind.

If I may ask some questions what cores are the chips you use

I3 I5 or I7 ???

I loaded the OS several times over during the install (doh !) and need to delete the Windows Old folders.

I tried to create a user named SYSTEM, add owners to the folder properties, always ended with the same message, need permission from SYSTEM to delete

TIA

no way to delete, I had to reformat the drive !

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

If I may ask some questions what cores are the chips you use

I3 I5 or I7 ???

The last time I loaded ws2012 to a desktop board I used an I7 4770T, but I use a XEON 1240l v3 with the server board, previously a 1265l v2 as I wrote in what you quoted. I use an I7 4785T with my w8.1 desktop board builds.