IGNORED

The Clash - London Calling

I see this is now available on HDTracks. (It figures, since I just sprung for the original Japan Epic 25-8P CD from eBay.). Curious if anyone has heard this, and if it's worth shelling out for again.

It's only $18....

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

One of the greatest records of all time....$18.....automatic download. Done.

Exactly...

For those that care about the numbers:

Jimmy Jazz from HDTracks 24/96:

The Clash Jimmy Jazz.png

The Clash Jimmy Jazz Spec.png

The Clash Jimmy Jazz Hz.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed folder: /HDtracks/The Clash/London Calling 24/96

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Filename

DR8 -0.00 dB -9.61 dB 01-London Calling.aif

DR9 -0.01 dB -9.86 dB 02-Brand New Cadillac.aif

DR10 -0.04 dB -12.36 dB 03-Jimmy Jazz.aif

DR8 -0.01 dB -9.18 dB 04-Hateful.aif

DR9 -0.07 dB -10.96 dB 05-Rudie Can't Fail.aif

DR10 -0.04 dB -10.55 dB 06-Spanish Bombs.aif

DR9 -0.03 dB -11.07 dB 07-The Right Profile.aif

DR12 -0.13 dB -13.41 dB 08-Lost in the Supermarket.aif

DR9 -0.01 dB -10.48 dB 09-Clampdown.aif

DR11 -0.06 dB -11.93 dB 10-The Guns of Brixton.aif

DR9 -0.05 dB -10.48 dB 11-Wrong 'Em Boyo.aif

DR10 -0.03 dB -10.68 dB 12-Death or Glory.aif

DR9 -0.03 dB -10.65 dB 13-Koka Kola.aif

DR9 -0.02 dB -10.08 dB 14-The Card Cheat.aif

DR10 -0.00 dB -10.86 dB 15-Lover's Rock.aif

DR9 -0.06 dB -10.22 dB 16-Four Horsemen.aif

DR9 -0.01 dB -10.42 dB 17-I'm Not Down.aif

DR11 -0.03 dB -12.16 dB 18-Revolution Rock.aif

DR9 -0.01 dB -11.04 dB 19-Train in Vain.aif

Number of files: 19

Official DR value: DR9

===============================================================

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Could you please let us know how you like it? I have a few copies...don't want to add another I wont listen to....

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

I'm listening now...

I've not gotten all the way through (only to track 11 so far) but I will say this will be my go to version. The detail is more fine and nuanced and I love the detail of this album so much. It is "richer" and "smoother" than my excellent CD version (one of the early ones with a high DR). On this copy, the loudness seems to come from a compressed bass line and guitars, while the rest of the music seems more dynamic than the DR would imply. The tone and timbre are more natural (less "tinny").

I've posted in another thread this is a special album to me...as it is to many folks. I bought this one at age 14 when it came out (along with The Pretenders first album) and it sent me in a new musical direction that I still follow (although I've added many more to my betterment, as well). I still have both albums in my collection (as well as the first generation CDs). Highly recommended.

Best,

John

P.S. As a contrast, my excellent CD has a much higher DR but won't be my go to copy:

Analyzed folder: /The Clash/London Calling (Redbook CD)

DR Peak RMS Filename

DR12 -1.10 dB -14.24 dB 1-01 London Calling.aif

DR13 -1.66 dB -15.78 dB 1-02 Brand New Cadillac.aif

DR13 -1.90 dB -17.28 dB 1-03 Jimmy Jazz.aif

DR12 -1.97 dB -15.74 dB 1-04 Hateful.aif

DR12 -0.98 dB -15.20 dB 1-05 Rudie Can't Fail.aif

DR12 -2.40 dB -16.27 dB 1-06 Spanish Bombs.aif

DR12 -2.25 dB -16.48 dB 1-07 The Right Profile.aif

DR14 -1.45 dB -17.32 dB 1-08 Lost in the Supermarket.aif

DR13 -2.43 dB -17.23 dB 1-09 Clampdown.aif

DR14 -2.73 dB -18.48 dB 1-10 The Guns of Brixton.aif

DR13 -2.26 dB -17.25 dB 1-11 Wrong 'Em Boyo.aif

DR13 -0.77 dB -14.96 dB 1-12 Death or Glory.aif

DR12 -2.09 dB -15.91 dB 1-13 Koka Kola.aif

DR12 -1.32 dB -16.05 dB 1-14 The Card Cheat.aif

DR15 -2.33 dB -18.72 dB 1-15 Lover's Rock.aif

DR13 -2.64 dB -16.57 dB 1-16 Four Horsemen.aif

DR14 -2.00 dB -17.80 dB 1-17 I'm Not Down.aif

DR15 -1.83 dB -18.75 dB 1-18 Revolution Rock.aif

DR15 -2.54 dB -19.30 dB 1-19 Train in Vain (Stand by Me).aif

Number of files: 19

Official DR value: DR13

====================================================

My CD, which I think sounds fine, has similar DR to the HDTracks. So, looks like I'll be downloading this one at the next HDT sale.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

My CD, which I think sounds fine, has similar DR to the HDTracks. So, looks like I'll be downloading this one at the next HDT sale.

I listened to it this morning. Forget the DR nonsense. It sounds fabulous, rocks like a son of a bitch, it is loud and the best I have ever heard it - and I have been listening to it since the day it first came out.

...rocks like a son of a bitch...

Pretty much all I need to hear.

...and I have been listening to it since the day it first came out.

Yup. In my case it's always been the LP, but looking forward to this. Interesting about the DR, will just have to listen and see how it sounds on my system.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

i just downloaded this and have been comparing it to my Apple Lossless version (ripped from CD) and I can't believe what a difference there is for a punk album. The bass is so much better, much tighter and refined. I never noticed the bass line in "Jimmy Jazz" was a "walking" jazz-like bass line, it sounds so much looser and muddier on my Apple Lossless version.

i just downloaded this and have been comparing it to my Apple Lossless version (ripped from CD) and I can't believe what a difference there is for a punk album. The bass is so much better, much tighter and refined. I never noticed the bass line in "Jimmy Jazz" was a "walking" jazz-like bass line, it sounds so much looser and muddier on my Apple Lossless version.

At work listening to this new 2013 Sony Remaster on MOG in my office with my little work system (Focal XS 2.1). MOG has three versions of London Calling:

1. The Sony UK September 2013 release from The Clash Sound System 5-CD box set, which I believe is the HD Tracks version that is the subject of this thread,

2. The Epic 2009 25th Anniversary Remaster, and

3. The Sony UK 1979 version.

Granted it just 320kbps streaming, and just listening via my modest work system, but I have three windows of MOG open on my computer, each with Jimmy Jazz up, with the three different album versions above and comparing the sound quality, particularly following the bass line. The Sony UK 2013 version sounds the best to me.

I assume the other 4 Sony 2013 remastered albums will be released on HD Tracks shortly. I am looking forward to Sandinista most of all, as it is my favorite Clash album (and possibly the best album of all time, period). I already have all these albums but I may just buy the HD versions now.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Sandinista is going to be amazing...

Best,

John

From which CD mastering is your rip?

Here is the DR for the Blu Spec CD

DR Peak RMS Filename

DR8 -0.10 dB -9.69 dB 01 London Calling.aiff

DR9 -0.10 dB -10.26 dB 02 Brand New Cadillac.aiff

DR9 -0.10 dB -10.73 dB 07 The Right Profile.aiff

DR12 -0.10 dB -13.44 dB 08 Lost in the Supermarket.aiff

DR10 -0.10 dB -11.55 dB 09 Clampdown.aiff

DR11 -0.10 dB -12.12 dB 10 The Guns of Brixton.aiff

DR10 -0.10 dB -11.18 dB 11 Wrong 'Em Boyo.aiff

DR10 -0.10 dB -11.03 dB 12 Death or Glory.aiff

DR10 -0.10 dB -10.94 dB 13 Koka Kola.aiff

DR8 -0.10 dB -9.73 dB 14 The Card Cheat.aiff

DR12 -0.10 dB -13.92 dB 15 Lover's Rock.aiff

DR9 -0.10 dB -9.89 dB 16 Four Horsemen.aiff

DR10 -0.10 dB -11.50 dB 18 Revolution Rock.aiff

DR10 -0.10 dB -12.29 dB 19 Train in Vain (Stand by Me).aiff

Number of files: 14

Official DR value: DR10

Re DR, my recollection from the DR Database is versions up to early 90s have higher DR, then from mid or late 90s it's about the same as HDT.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Agreed - this sounds wonderful! Perfect for a rainy Saturday morning. Thanks all for your thoughts on this one, well worth the dollars.

I saw them in Harvard Square towards the end of the 70s - they were killer.

london.jpg

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs