IGNORED

Auralic Vega: my review

I had some -12db in line balanced attenuators on the shelf. Based on the recent postings in this thread I tried them again today. With these, reasonable listening levels on the Vega volume control are at 60 to 70. Combined with a 32 bit feed from Minimstreamer, I am hearing a more detailed and a fuller sound. They are staying in line for now.

Who makes those? Are they basically a voltage divider?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Who makes those? Are they basically a voltage divider?

Continued...

The odd thing is that the volume pot at the input of my preamp should be doing the job of cutting down the voltage. The only thing that I can figure is that as I am also using the balanced outputs of the Vega to drive my subwoofer perhaps the Vega cannot handle driving both sets of outputs near full output voltage? I will try disconnecting the sub tomorrow and testing more.

System

Good idea!

I had some -12db in line balanced attenuators on the shelf. Based on the recent postings in this thread I tried them again today. With these, reasonable listening levels on the Vega volume control are at 60 to 70. Combined with a 32 bit feed from Minimstreamer, I am hearing a more detailed and a fuller sound. They are staying in line for now.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Another Vega noob question...

Are any of you using "Exact" clock mode? I am finding that even after being up for several days with music running that I get too many drop outs in Exact mode. "Auto" works fine but in my system EXACT does sound better ...when it feels like working.

I have a "CAPS-like" server with a Paul Pang USB card feeding the DAC through a REGEN Amber. Should be a pretty solid stream?

System

Exact works for me.

Another Vega noob question...

Are any of you using "Exact" clock mode? I am finding that even after being up for several days with music running that I get too many drop outs in Exact mode. "Auto" works fine but in my system EXACT does sound better ...when it feels like working.

I have a "CAPS-like" server with a Paul Pang USB card feeding the DAC through a REGEN Amber. Should be a pretty solid stream?

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Hi, I've said on here before...

... for me it's 3 or 4 dropouts in the first track and then no more occur for the entire listening session (no matter how long).

Nothing appears to be able to stop these. I'm guessing the two bits of kit (N100 & Vega) 'learn each other' and then get on with the job - it's the only explanation I can come up with.

:-)

I get one or two dropouts in exact mode when I switch to a track sampled at a different frequency. The problem seems to be on the music server side, but I haven't nailed it down quite yet.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

• 2 weeks later...

Well my Vega has over 400 hours on it and I would say that it has finally hit it's stride. I do not see how anyone could begin to judge it's potential without at least 300 hours on it playing music. My W4S DSD was a very clear and accurate DAC but the Vega makes music. I now forget about the equipment which is pretty close to a miracle. I am listening to entire albums now instead of "channel switching".

I did finally find a volume setting of 70 which allows me to set my preamp to not overdrive my amp. The dropouts still happen randomly. To be honest I am a bit stumped why a DAC of this caliber does not track better but the SQ is so wonderful I am pretty resigned to it.

Now I just need to resist the urge to buy a second one for my headphone rig!

System

Well my Vega has over 400 hours on it and I would say that it has finally hit it's stride. I do not see how anyone could begin to judge it's potential without at least 300 hours on it playing music. My W4S DSD was a very clear and accurate DAC but the Vega makes music. I now forget about the equipment which is pretty close to a miracle. I am listening to entire albums now instead of "channel switching".

I did finally find a volume setting of 70 which allows me to set my preamp to not overdrive my amp. The dropouts still happen randomly. To be honest I am a bit stumped why a DAC of this caliber does not track better but the SQ is so wonderful I am pretty resigned to it.

Now I just need to resist the urge to buy a second one for my headphone rig!

Do you have a Taurus MKII as your headphone amp? It and the Vega are sublime.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Much more stable Exact playback with windows10 and newest jriver.

I have also had much more stable PCM2DSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

20151022_214919.jpg I noticed the vegas light case or housing vibrated quite a bit when playing music. I put a 8 pound rectangular steel plate on it now there is very little vibrations. Not to sure it made a sound difference but there is a lot less shaking going on. I do have it on a set of Dead balls but it need the weight to press it down on them.
I noticed the vegas light case or housing vibrated quite a bit when playing music. I put a 8 pound rectangular steel plate on it now there is very little vibrations. Not to sure it made a sound difference but there is a lot less shaking going on. I do have it on a set of Dead balls but it need the weight to press it down on them.

What amp are you driving with the Vega?

If I got to 95 on the volume scale my voice coils would set off the smoke alarm.

Maybe that is why you need the plate?

System

ImageUploadedByComputer Audiophile1445568044.226956.jpg

I have settled on 85. No smoke at 95-100 but distortion for sure. Maybe smoke if I gave it a chance.

Not sure why 85 and not 84, maybe I am anal or something? :)

I do have a couple of Herbie's weights on top and noticed a bit better bass response.

What amp are you driving with the Vega?

If I got to 95 on the volume scale my voice coils would set off the smoke alarm.

Maybe that is why you need the plate?

Threshold S/500 Stereo Power Amplifier

Manufacturer's Specifications:

Rated Output Power : 250 watts per channel. Both channels driven at no more than 0.1% distortion into 8 Ohms resistive or reactive impedance.

Bandwidth Response : Halfpower (-3 dB) points at 7 Hz and 100 kHz.

Slew Rate : 50 volts per microsecond

Output Transistors : 20 transistors per channel. Transistors are ultra-high speed 200 volt 20 ampere rated power devices.

Output Current : 12 amperes continuous, 100 peak amperes per channel. All continuous ratings are fuse governed.

Power Supply : 1,000 watt toroidal transformer, 120,000 microFarads storage capacitance.

Input Impedance : 75,000 Ohms.

Output Impedance : Less than 0.1 Ohm 20 Hz through 20 kHz

Gain Factor : +26.6 dB

Noise : No greater than -100 Db, unweighted, referenced to

rated output.

Permissible Load : Operation is allowed into any load within limits

imposed by power supply and rail fusing and/or

thermal protection.

Dimensions : 17 1/8" deep, 8 3/4" high, 19" wide.

Weight : 78 1/2 pounds.

[ATTACH]21666[/ATTACH]

I have settled on 85. No smoke at 95-100 but distortion for sure. Maybe smoke if I gave it a chance.

I do have a couple of Herbie's weights on top and noticed a bit better bass response.

Output Current : 12 amperes continuous, 100 peak amperes per channel.

Power Supply : 1,000 watt toroidal transformer, 120,000 microFarads storage capacitance.

Weight : 78 1/2 pounds.

I am jealous. I had to settle on about 70 with my tube pre and SIT2. I get distortion much above that.

Still sounds wonderful though. Remarkable DAC.

Alaric. You could open a welding shop with that Threshold!

System

[ATTACH]21666[/ATTACH]

What amp is that?

I'm driving my straight Decware EL34 amp with a Tortuga LDR pre, amazing little box, even before I added custom LPSU!

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

I thought they were 211. Never handled an 845. they physically bigger or aren't they same socket?

I am jealous. I had to settle on about 70 with my tube pre and SIT2. I get distortion much above that.

Still sounds wonderful though. Remarkable DAC.

Alaric. You could open a welding shop with that Threshold!

I remember A/Bing Vega against my Zodiac Gold....no contest.

I thought they were 211. Never handled an 845. they physically bigger or aren't they same socket?

I think they are the same socket, but I have not handled a 211. The ones in my picture are Psvane 845-TII rather than the stock Shuguang and I see a similar 211 on their site. Some architecture differences but, very similar dimensions.

Does anyone know if both the RCA and balanced outputs of the Vega are driven by the Orfeo modules. On another forum someone suggested that the RCA outputs are driven by opamps and that the balanced outputs sound a lot better.

I am limited to RCA and would like to find out if I need to rig up a balanced to unbalanced adapter.

Or am I just confused :-)

Thanks!

System