IGNORED

Rec. for $250-$500 all-around headphones no amp required

Which headphones would you recommend?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've read a number headphone buying guides (like this and this) in my attempts to find the perfect headphones to meet my needs, but the number of choice available makes this a very difficult decision. I was hoping someone here might be able to lend a hand. It would be appreciated more than you can imagine!

Price Range: $250-$500

Type: Either on-the-ear, or over-the-ear

Amp: Not necessary

I intend to use these headphones while traveling, as well as while sitting in front of my computer at home (they'll almost always be connected to either my iPhone, iPad, or iMac). It would be a nice bonus if the headphones were somewhat compact, or perhaps 'fold' like many of them do, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice sound quality to achieve portability. I do not intend to connect these headphones directly to any recording equipment or a high-tech audiophile stereo system.

My goal here is to buy a pair of headphones that simply sound amazing right out-of-the-box, without the need to connect them to an amplifier.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

--

EDIT: another option I neglected to include in the poll is the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 600.

I don't think you'd like the Sennheiser HD650 unamplified. Same for the 600 ohm Beyers, in my experience.

Without knowing more, I'm inclined to suggest the Momentums. They're a bit warm in favor of a slight bass balance, but the highs are still good. And for a portable, they seem well built. Full sound. I like the B&Ws and may have better clarity, all things considered. Perhaps a bit lean... but good. Some report that they have cable connectivity problems over time, but not sure if that's a problem now or not. Never had the chance to hear the Bose QC15; but I've read they are very comfortable. Any musical preferences?

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

I'd recommend None Of The Above, which should be included for perspective. The QC-15 is very low quality and I suspect gets its sound from EQ of some kind rather than good earcup design. The P5 is $150 worth of sound for $300 *and* we are on our third cable (used only at home). The Momentum has a sparkly presence but the top end is rolled off, very frustrating. The 650 is good but a tough call sans amp.

I'd recommend None Of The Above, which should be included for perspective.

If none of the above, then what would you recommend given my criteria?

Perhaps because you will be using them while travelling you should look into a good pair of IEMs or earbud type phones. There are some great options at that price range.

Which would you suggest for IEMs or earbuds that sound amazing right out-of-the-box, without the need to connect them to an amplifier, that falls within my budget ( <$500)

Thanks!

None Of The Above

For iPhone/iPad use:

Sennheiser HD25-1 II - on ear

Etymotic ER4-PT - in ear

- Great detail

- Great sound insulation

- Fine EQ

- High build quality

- Spare parts easily available

- OK bang for buck

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

If none of the above, then what would you recommend given my criteria?

The Soundmagic HP200 is excellent for only $250 (better than the $350 Momentum, and far better than the Amperior and its juniors the HD25 series).

Which would you suggest for IEMs or earbuds that sound amazing right out-of-the-box, without the need to connect them to an amplifier, that falls within my budget ( <$500)

The best sound you can get (period) for under $500 is Apple Earpods with a Dirac player. My $1000 Sennheiser IE800 is slightly better in sonic purity, but not quite as good in frequency response smoothness.

Edit: Purchased earpods only, not the free version sans controls).

. . . The best sound you can get (period) for under $500 is Apple Earpods with a Dirac player.

. . .

Apple Earpods has best bang for the buck, with Dirac yes - by far.

Best below under $500 - no, not really.

Earpods has no sound insulation, so they are not suited for mobile use in my book.

HD25-1 II and ER4-PT both excel in this area (30-42dB).

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Would like to hear a little bit about OPs music preferences.

For example, I love the Etymotics; these really hit the spot for me. Great purity, clarity, precise tonality, terrific rendering of voice, and makes every note of solo piano performance exactly distinct. And it offers the best isolation I have experienced. However it will never have enough bass for some listeners.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

save yourself alot of money audio technica ath-m50's

main system; mac mini/mac os mountain lion/bel canto usb/cambridge audio dac magic/creek destiny intregrated/reference 3a mm de cappo i/svs pb-12-nsd/dh labs cables and wires/denon ah-d2000

I have a very broad taste in music... The Beatles, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Aerosmith, Metallica, Adele, Sarah Mclaughlin, Mumford and Sons, Coldplay, U2, The Police, etc, etc... I also like some electronic music like Daft Punk, Dirty Vegas, Paul Oakenfold, BT. Some rap, but not a lot.

I have a very broad taste in music... The Beatles, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Aerosmith, Metallica, Adele, Sarah Mclaughlin, Mumford and Sons, Coldplay, U2, The Police, etc, etc... I also like some electronic music like Daft Punk, Dirty Vegas, Paul Oakenfold, BT. Some rap, but not a lot.

Digipete recommended a Sennheiser HD25-1-II, which is good, but the Amperior is a better version of that for $350. I think the Amperior would cover all of those genres well.

Digipete recommended a Sennheiser HD25-1-II, which is good, but the Amperior is a better version of that for $350. I think the Amperior would cover all of those genres well.

How do either/both of these headphones you've mentioned compare with Sennheiser's Momentum headphones, in your opinion?

How do either/both of these headphones you've mentioned compare with Sennheiser's Momentum headphones, in your opinion?

The Amperior is nearly identical to the HD-25-1-ii. Details are on the Innerfidelity test site. Regardless that the Amperior is just a refined HD25-1-ii, the design is very old and the Momentum design is new. The Momentum has a significant emphasis in the lower mids to upper bass, but the Amperior is far stronger there. Whether that would suit you only your experience could tell you. From the mids up both have reasonable fidelity for their price, but the top end of the Momentum (high treble) is softer than the Amperior, and softer than what's considered "flat" or "neutral". Again, only your experience can tell you which you'd prefer. All that aside, the Momentum is vastly better in my opinion physically, being lightweight and fairly rigid, where the Amperior is heavier and feels very loose-jointed (modular design). By 'rigid' I don't mean there's a lack of flex with the Momentum, it's just that it compares to the Amperior (using a crude analogy) like a Porsche Carrera compared to an old jalopy in terms of the feel.

Just for reference, I bought the Momentum headphones on Amazon, and I was upset to discover that my ears just barely fit into the openings on each ear cup... in fact, they didn't quite fit and I had to wiggle the headphones around a bit to stuff my ears into them. I don't have particular large ears either. My ears fit easily and comfortably in the Bose QC15 headphones.

Bummer. The hunt continues.

Just for reference, I bought the Momentum headphones on Amazon, and I was upset to discover that my ears just barely fit into the openings on each ear cup... in fact, they didn't quite fit and I had to wiggle the headphones around a bit to stuff my ears into them. I don't have particular large ears either. My ears fit easily and comfortably in the Bose QC15 headphones. Bummer. The hunt continues.

My ears never fit into the Momentum earcups - I just made sure the top outer part of my ears were seated in snugly and then the rest of the earpads just fit "on" the rest of the ear somehow. It was very comfy for me - didn't provide the best isolation, but was good enough for indoor and outdoor use.

As long as you don't need the active noise cancelling... the B&W P5s are hands down better in the quality of sound in my opinion. And this is with only having gotten them two days ago (got a set free from the place I bought my speakers from on Friday night during a charity event for Akron Children's Hospital)... so that's saying a lot having 2 sets of Sennheisers and it's the sound quality I have come to expect from Bowers & Wilkins.

My only slight negative with the P5s is that if you have a big head... they might be a little bit tight to wear. My head is not all that large and they are snug on my head... though I'm sure after time they'll loosen up. The build quality of them is very impressive as well. They'll go nicely along with my C5s that I love as in-ear headphones and I had bought a while back. :)

• 2 months later...

650s are great - have 'em, love 'em - but they require a very potent amp. I suggest you pass on them.

2012 Mac Mini Quad Core i7 (2.3 GHz, 0SX 10.9; 60gb SSD; 16gb RAM, Battery Power, Battery Buss) > Audirvana Plus > Uptone Audio Regen > Monoprice USB cable> PS Audio DirectStream > W4S ST 1000 > Shunyata Talos > B&W 804S

For over-ear in your price range, I would look for a used Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 (discontinued). For universal IEMs, either Westone 4 or Ultimate Ears UE900.

I would agree with those who warn against using the HD650 without an amp. In the desktop installation you describe, one very cost-effective option would be the Schiit Magni/Modi stack.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

I really like the Beyerdynamic DT1350. I have better headphones (HE-500, for one) but this is the one I reach for if I'm looking for a quick "fix" and just want something light and comfortable. Driven really well by normal headphone jack, great results with the Meridian Explorer.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

• 3 weeks later...

Beyerdynamic T70/T70p

The 250 ohm T70 has a very high sensitivity, you can use it with a lot of mobile music players. But if you prefer, there is the T70p with 32 ohm driver built for travel use.

http://www.premiermixing.com

SqueezeBox Touch / MacBook Pro -> Audirvana Plus -> Firewire -> Mytek Stereo192-DSD -> GAC1 Pro -> Luxman L-410 -> Rubicon RP63F

SqueezeBox Touch / MacBook Pro -> Audirvana Plus -> Firewire -> Mytek Stereo192-DSD -> GAC1 Pro -> DIY Headphone Amp -> Beyerdynamic T70 / AKG K500 / Sennheiser HD540 / Shure SRH840

Mac Pro -> Audirvana Plus -> Lynx AES16 -> Lynx CBL-AES1605 -> Lynx Aurora -> Mogami 2932 XLR -> M-Audio EX66