IGNORED

Rec. for $250-$500 all-around headphones no amp required

Which headphones would you recommend?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably the HD 650 which I haven't listened to in a while then the Momentum, P5 and the Bose (which I really like for their noise canceling function when traveling) all which I listened to today. I think I am buying the Momentum for build quality, fit and overall sound quality and budget.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought and returned the Momentums after one day for a couple of reasons. I ended ordering a pair of Sennheiser HD600 and I am satisfied after a week of listening. The Momentum, B&W and Bose I think are really aimed at more portable usage. Certainly the Momentum were easier to drive off of my AudioQuest Dragonfly but the HD600's for me were simply more 'right' audio wise.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
  • 2 weeks later...
The new Momentum On-Ear (MOE) are better I think than the Momentum Around-Ear (MAE). The MAE treble is uneven while the MOE treble is smooth from top to bottom. The MAE has an emphasized upper bass and so-so lower bass, while the MOE bass is deep and flat.

Hi Dale. Early reviews suggests that the on ear Momentum is a more aggressive, harsh,er V-shaped sound. I am looking forward to trying one out myself to see, but the early word is that the original Momentum is better.

check out this review

Hi Dale. Early reviews suggests that the on ear Momentum is a more aggressive, harsh,er V-shaped sound. I am looking forward to trying one out myself to see, but the early word is that the original Momentum is better.

check out this review

I was pretty unimpressed with the build quality of the new On Ear Momentums. I was ready to buy a pair until I tried them out. I liked the sound, but they felt like they would not last long.

I passed.

Hi Dale. Early reviews suggests that the on ear Momentum is a more aggressive, harsh,er V-shaped sound. I am looking forward to trying one out myself to see, but the early word is that the original Momentum is better. check out this review.

I had the MAE for several months and finally threw in the towel. The upper HF rolloff was just bad and not fixable with simple EQ. Many headphones below $350 have a near perfect treble, somewhat like the HD800 or IE800, but slightly less bright. My MOE is not only *not* aggressive, it has a substantial HF rolloff, but fortunately it comes up to a good smooth level that's not harsh or aggressive with simple EQ. The bass is as flat as anything I've heard, and I've got 'em all (except the planars and Stax).

Edit: That reviewer has little experience, beginning with the Momentum and nothing before it for perspective. He also has a relationship with Sennheiser, and while you may feel that his dissing a Sennheiser product gives him more credibility, I have a feeling something is wrong there.

I was pretty unimpressed with the build quality of the new On Ear Momentums. I was ready to buy a pair until I tried them out. I liked the sound, but they felt like they would not last long. I passed.

Having had 75 headphones in the past 2 years, including the HD800, 600, 650, Momentum, Amperior, and many other brands including the near-indestructible GMP 8.35D and v-moda M100, I'd rate this little MOE as among the best built headphones I've owned.

I have allowed myself an update to my beloved Sennheiser HD25-1 II.

Sennheiser Amperior won :-)

I primarily run them from my iP5 when I'm out of the house and secondarily from my MBP late at night.

So far I love them to bits.

They are easily driven, detailed, linear, have optional iPhone controls/mic included and are reasonably priced (EUR 200 incl. shipping).

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Where did you get the Amperior? Do authorized dealers sell at that price?

Yakodo

Not sure about the "authorized", I usually buy cheap and take my chances.

Your risk profile / sweet spot may differ.

High numbers mass production, tons of R&D and cheap distribution offers us amazing value in:

Creative Aurvana Live!

Not the best cans ever, but comfy, trusty easy listening with surprising detail at mind blowing EUR 60 / USD 70.

Yakodo

Not sure about the "authorized", I usually buy cheap and take my chances.

Your risk profile / sweet spot may differ.

Thanks - I wasn't thinking about the risk of defectives or non-returnables and that sort of thing. I was thinking about all the people who bought name brand headphones at bargain prices only to discover they were clones not made by the stated manufacturer. It was much worse with 'Beats' brand items than other manufacturers a couple of years ago, but I hear it's spreading to most brands now.

• 2 weeks later...

The hd650 recommendation in the poll is nuts. Unamped, the hd650 isn't very good. Also, don't expect to be able to hear much out of them when used in a plane. My recommendation for good cans for unamped use in that pricerange would be the sennheiser HD598 but if you need isolation at the same time then I would get the momentum's.

The hd650 recommendation in the poll is nuts. Unamped, the hd650 isn't very good. Also, don't expect to be able to hear much out of them when used in a plane. My recommendation for good cans for unamped use in that pricerange would be the sennheiser HD598 but if you need isolation at the same time then I would get the momentum's.

I have the Sennheiser HD595, that are very similar to the 598 and agree they are an exceptional value, but forgiven their size and open system in really wouldn't recommend them for traveling. For home use I fully support the 598 recommendation.