IGNORED

Another HDTracks dud - Son Of Rogues Gallery - Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs & Chanteys is 16 bits, not 24

Saw that Son Of Rogues Gallery - Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs & Chanteys was out on CD, but then got a mail from HDTracks saying they had it as "Audiophile 44.1kHz/24bit". $17.98, definitely more expensive than the CD, despite being only 44.1 kHz, but at least it is 24 bits, so I went for it. I should have learned by now... Yes, the flac files were 24 bits, but the FLAC decoder shows the content being 16 effective bits, so it is zero-padded 16-bit material. So much for hi-res.

Saw that Son Of Rogues Gallery - Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs & Chanteys was out on CD, but then got a mail from HDTracks saying they had it as "Audiophile 44.1kHz/24bit". $17.98, definitely more expensive than the CD, despite being only 44.1 kHz, but at least it is 24 bits, so I went for it. I should have learned by now... Yes, the flac files were 24 bits, but the FLAC decoder shows the content being 16 effective bits, so it is zero-padded 16-bit material. So much for hi-res.

Julf,

I am not disputing your findings. I rarely trust much that HDT claims and have probably been victimized more by HDT than most. However as the music goes, some of the tracks suck (really suck) but there is some good well recorded tracks mingled in among all the crap.

I am not disputing your findings. I rarely trust much that HDT claims and have probably been victimized more by HDT than most. However as the music goes, some of the tracks suck (really suck) but there is some good well recorded tracks mingled in among all the crap.

Sure, it's just that I could have purchased the CD instead, and gotten exactly the same material much cheaper.

Yes, the flac files were 24 bits, but the FLAC decoder shows the content being 16 effective bits, so it is zero-padded 16-bit material.

Can you tell me, how you see that. WHat I have to do, do check my files also?

Thanks in advance for teaching me...

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Can you tell me, how you see that. WHat I have to do, do check my files also?

Chris, if you can use VST plugins (Using foobar?) you might consider something like this:

Bitter | Stillwell Audio - It's About The Sound

I use the build in Bitmeter of Wavelab (V. 6x in my case), which can be used to show "active bits" only.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Here are some handy methods: Hydrogen Audio Forums: [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Detecting whether a 24-bit file has been upconverted from 16-bit?[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Julf,

Thanks for fbits. I saved it as a text file cuz I use Windows. Can a bash script somehow be used in Windows (like as a bat file or something)?

Can a bash script somehow be used in Windows (like as a bat file or something)?

There are a bunch of (free) versions of bash for Windows, but the problem is that you also need a bunch of other Linux/UNIX/POSIX tools and programs that the script uses - I guess the proper solution would be to install cygwin, but I am sure someone more familiar with windows could rewrite the script as a bat file.

Julf,

Thanks for fbits. I saved it as a text file cuz I use Windows. Can a bash script somehow be used in Windows (like as a bat file or something)?

Yes, if you install Cygwin. (I have to do this because it is the only way I can find my way around a windows machine.)

I also have the fbits shell-script running on OS X (I compiled and installed its dependencies). Would that help you?

Julf, will you attempt to get a refund? If so, can you keep us posted on that?

Here is the response from HDTracks:

Thank you for question. The album is indeed in 44/24. This is how the files were delivered by the record label.

Clearly HDTrack either considers something to be "hi-res" as long as it comes in a hi-res file format, or doesn't think they are in any way responsible for what they advertise.

Yes. That response is less than helpful considering what you payed.

Well, at least others now know to steer away from this one. If we all take our turn checking out the downloads and reporting the bad ones, none of us gets bitten too often on an individual level.

Hi Guys

I was having another discussion on this forum today about the YES Fragile and Close to the Edge releases. My problem is they are NOT based on the remasters as the bonus tracks are not their. So, if not based on a remaster, are they based on the original tape? Or are they upsampled 44.1?

I really think HD Tracks must clarify the source of their files before we can realistically be expected to pay TOP dollars. Or maybe they don't give a shit, and see us a small town, and enough buys not researching like us? I think we should blitz HD Tracks for a web page clarification on EACH release. I notice they say one of the versions of Close to the edge (192) says from the master tapes, but the 96 doesn't? Is that an error, or a lie, or a blurring of the trust?

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

Not sure how the presence or lack of the bonus tracks proves anything. The two could be from the same master and one package not include the bonus tracks while the other one does. Labels don't have to issue consistent releases in different formats,especially when licensing to an outside reseller like hdt

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Not sure how the presence or lack of the bonus tracks proves anything. The two could be from the same master and one package not include the bonus tracks while the other one does. Labels don't have to issue consistent releases in different formats,especially when licensing to an outside resellerlike hdt

Another example consistent with firedog's comment is the HDtracks offering of Michael Jackson's (may he rest in peace) Thriller 176/24 which only contains nine (9) tracks, where a Thriller edition offered at Amazon.com (for example) contains 21 Thriller [Extra Tracks, Original Recording Remastered] edition CD. I am by no means implying anything either way, merely offering examples of various editions of a title and how what is offered may affect one's concern for the integrity of a particular offering.

Best,

Richard

After reading some many HD Tracks slip ups regarding bit rate etc.., why can't HD just get this right. A person should NOT have to go through the analysis of the downloaded files after paying and downloading music only to find out it's not what is supposed to be... Come on, HD get it right...sell the stuff for what it is not, what it isn't. It's makes one wonder if the feel sure some will like it, some won't.....at their prices you'd expect a higher quality product.

The Truth Is Out There

An update - still no response from HDTracks, but I had another look at the FLAC files I downloaded - not surprisingly, all the tracks on that album are even multiples of the CD block size, 588 samples. The only reason the tracks would be an exact multiple of that rather odd number of samples is an additional indication that the material either comes off a CD, or from the image used to make the CD.

Hmm. that is worrying. Technically that is Fraud. If proven, it should be reported and the authorities contacted to fine them or take away their trading license. What a mess. The way HD Tracks can resolve this is come onto this forum and explain themselves. There seeming lack of replies and lack of hard facts on the website kinda seals their guilt somewhat.

WHY OH WHY can't Apple just offer WAV files in iTunes. Then we wouldn't be in this mess. It really bugs me paying top dollar for crap Mp3s. That is why HD Tracks is around, because of the lack of offering a fair high quality product on-line....

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

Hmm. that is worrying. Technically that is Fraud. If proven, it should be reported and the authorities contacted to fine them or take away their trading license.

When I pointed out the issue in another thread, a rather vocal CA member stated that he was hoping HDTracks would sue me for my outrageous libel. :)

The way HD Tracks can resolve this is come onto this forum and explain themselves. There seeming lack of replies and lack of hard facts on the website kinda seals their guilt somewhat.

Have to agree.

WHY OH WHY can't Apple just offer WAV files in iTunes. Then we wouldn't be in this mess. It really bugs me paying top dollar for crap Mp3s. That is why HD Tracks is around, because of the lack of offering a fair high quality product on-line....

WAV, FLAC or any other lossless format, if Apple can't agree to use formats Not Owned By Apple...