IGNORED

New speaker advice

I would like some speaker buying advice. Here is my criteria if I buy some new speakers in the future:

• full range
  • bookshelf or on the smallish side for floorstanding (I live in a Philly row home)
  • 4 or 8 ohms
  • under $5000 new

I play mostly the rock 'n roll! and jazz, with a little classical. So, everything basically. Thanks in advance.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

I'd take a look at the Selah Audio Tempesta - it's a 3-way stand mount with

state of the art drivers (i.e. Scanspeak illuminator mid/bass, Accuton midrange,

and RAAL ribbon tweeter), and very extended bass response. The Scanspeak mid/bass

and RAAL tweeter are very detailed, dynamic drivers; the Accuton midrange is ceramic,and also very detailed.

Check the Selah Audio website, and click on customer reviews at: Selah Audio

to see some reviews of the Tempesta. I personally have the Selah Verita(a 2-way monitor)

and I'm looking to trade up to the Tempesta-

pawsman

Nuprime CDP-9 w/Teradak DC-30 LPS/Mivera ICEedge 1200AS2 Class D amplifer/Tekton Impact Monitors/2 Emotiva DSP 10 Subs/Emotiva CMX-2 Line fliter-DC offset

The Totem Forest takes up no more room than bookshelves on stands.

Totem Acoustic Forest loudspeaker Erick Lichte, January 2010 | Stereophile.com

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

I am partial to stand-mount speakers, augmented by a subwoofer.

How about the brand new Revel Performa3 M106 combined with the new Revel Performa3 B110 or B112 sub?

Other standmounts that are interesting to me: KEF LS50, Sonus Faber Venere 1.5, or one of Totem Acoustic's standmounts: Model 1 Signature, Element Ember (pushing your budget if you go with a sub), etc.

I have owned a few Totem models over the years and they are terrific.

Question is on a few of the speakers I mentioned- how much of an upgrade would they be as compared to your Dynaudio Excites. I think the Totem models would beat them. Can't say on the others though.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

...also interesting (if using a sub, as you said you want full range), the Evolution MMMicroOne, at $2,500. That leaves you with a nice chunk of change to buy a great sub.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Thanks for the advice and selections. I will check them out. Blake, you are right. The Excites are rather wonderful speakers, quite pleased with them. I am really thinking in the long term as I would like to audition some full range to see the difference I would get.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Try Devore Fidelity Gibbon 88's; I had the earlier model 8 and it was a great little floorstander that took up no more room than monitors on stands, but had floorstander qualities yet worked in a small space

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Shelby+Kroll

Heil AMT Aulos bookshelf

Rowen (any LMT speaker) - must be special ordered from Switzerland. See 6moons Industry news section (6moons industry features: Rowen's LMT) for the blurb on LMT or the rowen http://www.rowen.ch/fr/lmt.php website

More here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=u45q50gkn8rv6p3ift8a9v8kfvpoga90&topic=110578.0

Kef LS50

For subs, think TBI powered Subs, the Magellans.

I had a pair of Harbeth Compact 7-ES monitors that I loved. They were decently full range on their own. They sounded very musical with good imaging. They are bigger for a monitor, and need to be away from the boundary if possible. So they may not be perfect for you.

The Monitor 30's are getting rave reviews and smaller than the Compact 7s.

Harbeth UK

Rega speakers are smaller and meant to be used near a wall. They were designed for a small UK apartment. My only concern is that if your budget allows $5k you will find better speakers as most of the Rega's are $2K ish.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

fwiw,take a look at the reference 3a mm de capo be's they are the newer model with beryllium tweeters

main system; mac mini/mac os mountain lion/bel canto usb/cambridge audio dac magic/creek destiny intregrated/reference 3a mm de cappo i/svs pb-12-nsd/dh labs cables and wires/denon ah-d2000

Highly subjective question.....BUT.....following your guidelines and what I like from a loudspeaker, this would be as good as it gets for me

Argon³ L | Amphion

You'll have to take a rad trip to DC to listen to a pair, but IMO, it's worth the trip

Washington DC Home Theaters, Tyson's Corner Home Theaters, Vienna Virginia Home Theaters, Home Theater, Home Automation Experts - Evolution AV

give an audition harbeth or spendor (classic series)

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Usher Be 718, or the larger Mini One Dancer might be interesting (since you seem to be open to smaller floorstanders):

Usher Audio Dancer Mini 1 Usher Mini 1 Loudspeakers Pair in Maple Finish | eBay

a professional review (yeah, I know, all audio journalists are to be distrusted):

Usher Audio Dancer Series Mini One Diamond DMD Loudspeakers A loudspeaker sure to turn heads! Review By Anthony Nicosia

USHER DANCER MINI ONE REVIEW

The best non-powered small monitors I ever owned/heard were the Canadian made Reference 3A MM de Capo's. I recall their sound as I recall a passionate past love. If you have a tube amp, these monitors with their high sensitivity will make music sound like liquid gold.

Another option I was very impressed with: Mark & Daniel Maximus-Monitor II, definitely worth to look at.

PMC MB2S-A / Event Opal ← Audio Horizons TD3.1Sv custom Control DAC ← Berkeley Alpha USB ← Pure Music + ARC 2 ← MacMini i7 ← PS Audio P5 ← Xentek Extreme isolation transformer. Click here for cabling and other details