IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

6 hours ago, mansr said:

Yes, I suppose you like to think that.

Care to make a short recording with each so us infidels might catch a glimpse of the light?

Is there any particular reason why you appear to be making a determined effort to live up to your Member Title?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

31 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

It was a response to your own rhetorical statement. Take it for what it's worth.

I did.... "nothing"! :)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, tmtomh said:

With respect, I don't know that you want to be telling others that they don't get it. The importance of our ears (aka our ear/brain listening perception) is beyond dispute - I agree 100% that it's the most important. But you are missing the important distinction that our ears are not the most important measuring device. I suppose one could say our ears are the most important measuring device if one is talking about measuring aural enjoyment - but even then the point is not to measure our enjoyment, but rather to experience enjoyment.

Truly, I am not trying to be pedantic. Rather, words mean things, and they mean things for a reason. And if we confuse or equate measurement, perception, and experience, then we can't communicate meaningfully (or at least precisely) about this stuff. And that was sort of the point i was trying to make.

And so - once again - if you feel your system sounds better with one USB cable vs another, by all means enjoy that, and by all means share your experience here. But if, based on that perceptual experience (not to mention based on an extremely small sample size with no proper control) you claim that USB cables make a difference and that certain models are better than other models, then you're going to get push-back.

I'm not sure how else to say it - your experience and perceptions of a USB cable do not have to be false in order for me to express doubt and skepticism that I would have the same experience as you if I tried it.

With respect, you are being pedantic. The word "measure" has different meanings, depending on the context. And I am talking about "measuring aural enjoyment". You are entitled to your interpretation of words, but your definition of "communicating meaningfully" is, IMO, unjustifiably and/or unnecessarily limited. I am perfectly comfortable with push-back as it is not going to change many years of repeated experiences, supported by like experiences of many others. You are, of course, free to express any doubts or skepticism that you choose.  But, apparently, your skepticism - please forgive me for saying closed mind - precludes forming a conclusion based on actual listening to see if you have the same experience.

Anyhow, I see no point in pursuing this discussion any further as I believe the opposing views have been thoroughly canvassed and exhausted, never to be joined. I am going to retire to my living room to listen to music. Bye. :)

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

My humor didn’t come through correctly. Sal used the word entitled amd I couldn’t resist using it back. ?

I suppose you could include an emoticon like this to capture that intended state of mind. tongue in cheek.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Shanepj said:

On another note, I would try and find out where the unwanted interference is coming from as you may further improve what you have already experienced 

Eliminating the noise at its source is, of course, preferable. Also, have you tried placing a ferrite core around USB cable close to the where it enters the DAC? If you can otherwise get rid of the noise, you might find that improved sound quality is achievable with a better USB cable.

• 4 months later...
On 2/7/2019 at 1:17 PM, matthias said:

I think the BM is more similar to the Phasure Lush than to the Curious.

Matt

Based on the description in the review, the above is certainly consistent with my experience with the Phasure Lush and Curious.

11 hours ago, matthias said:

Allan,

very interesting to read your posts about both Lush and Curious.

Is it correct, that you prefer Curious in your existing set-up?

Thanks

Matt

Yes, Matt, that is correct. When we did the comparisons with the new setup some time ago, my audiophile friend who is my "other set of ears" and I both clearly preferred the Curious.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, jon2020 said:

I was referring to this poster who did not compare the Curious with the Oyaide but called out the poster who actually compared and shared his listening experience.......

You misunderstood the purpose of my post. I wasn't calling anyone out. Rather, I was describing my experience with the Curious USB cable in contrast to his. I suggested that he provide details of his system so the context of these differing observations was available for whatever value that might be to others in explaining the differences. The topic of this thread is USB cable comparisons, in general, not comparisons to the Oyaide USB cable, in particular.

13 minutes ago, jon2020 said:

He compared the Curious vs Oyaide. You compared Curious vs others.  The topic on hand at the time, though not the topic for the entire thread, is Oyaide vs others, not Curious vs othets. Please chill. :)

I guess you missed the  part where he described the characteristics of the Curious cable. You might benefit from your own advice. :)

• 1 year later...
On 8/2/2020 at 4:09 PM, CheapSplurge said:

Got a bargain deal on a curious cable incoming, is the thing pretty good as far as more clarity and resolution? Using it with a chord dac. 

Additionally would a uptone regen make it ever better?

IMO and experience, I would expect the answer to both questions to be "Yes".

• 11 months later...
On 7/14/2021 at 11:42 AM, audiobomber said:

Some prefer the original Curious cable to the newer and more expensive Evolved.

FWIW, in my system I found the Curious Evolved to be a definite upgrade from the original Curious USB cable which it replaced. The original Curious USB cable was a noticeable improvement over the Light Harmonic Lightspeed USB cable in my system, notwithstanding that the latter was very considerably more expensive.

6 hours ago, iLguapo said:

What makes the new Curious cable “evolved?

FWIW, the following is offered by the cable's designer, Rob Woodland:

The new Curious Evolved USB cable takes the original design principles and pushes them further. The work wasn't so much on the data lines (which I'm really happy with) but on the ground system. And at this point, I believe the most important decision you make in designing a USB cable is how you use the ground wire/s. There is a special relationship between data lines and ground. One of those things where "art" is just as important as "science".