IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Zuma

Hi everybody!

Does anybody of the community knows a company that build the Zuma server in Italy (or Europe)? I like very much the project but I am not capable to build it and the cost of trasportation and duty are too high for me.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Riccardo

I get a window: 1. Program is also running under different user account.

2. Media Center 18 and Media Server are both in Windows Start Up.

You must delete one.

3. The program is not responding for an unknown reason.

I'm using a Classe CP 800 Dac/Pre.

Thanks

Paul

New info on high res play back. It will play 24/96 or 24/44 on start up. But locks up when I try to move from one to the other. Giving me the window. It only does this on the sotm output. On motherboard USB it plays all Rez files. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

New info on high res play back. It will play 24/96 or 24/44 on start up. But locks up when I try to move from one to the other. Giving me the window. It only does this on the sotm output. On motherboard USB it plays all Rez files. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Are you using Windows 8?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, any update on the Red Wine Audio battery power supply?

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

mikeP: which power supply did you order with the HD-Plex H5.S case? The 150W AC-DC FSP Adpater w/160XT PicoPSU Combo?

Does this power supply come with the IEC terminal for the outside of the case?

I'm not sure which case to use for the 2nd Zuma build: What other pro's (vs. con's) made you choose the HD-Plex over the Streacom?

Thanks.

You are correct on the power supply. The IEC terminal is on one end of the 150W FSP Adapter so the AC cord is detachable, on the other end is a fixed cord that terminates in a male 4-pin mini-DIN connector. This power supply brick is all external and connects to the case and ultimately the PicoPSU through the female end of the mini DIN connector which is mounted on a small plate that is screwed to the case.

Not really much to choose from between the two cases as they both look to be high-quality and the components fit fine. Chris mentioned that the black Streacom shows fingerprints, the black HD-Plex doesn't as it is powder-coated, I'll mention again my preference for what I think is a tidier power connection at the case for the HD-Plex.

a) Doesn't have built-in WiFi. You can connect the server via wired Ethernet to your home network. If the home network has WiFi then you'll be able to use JRemote for remote control. You could also add WiFi via a card like this -> PROVANTAGE: Intel 62205AN.HMWG Centrino Advanced-N 6205 Wifi Half Mini

Any reason why one would elect to use the centrino card over a USB stick? Is it a tidyness thing, a power consumption thing, or a performance thing?

Today I received 2 SotM SATA filters for use with my Zuma. The filters are Type II rev. 1.6c. When I use these filters the Zuma won't boot. I have also an older SotM SATA filter rev.3.0. When I use this filter my Zuma boots normally. My question is now how to solve this problem with the new filters. Maybe some setting in the Bios should be changed? I don't know. Perhaps someone can advise me here? Thanks.

Just signed on to Computeraudiophile. Fantastic resource. Thank you, Chris, for everything you do here. I have a new CAPS v3 Zuma, purchased from Small Green Computer. Love the design.

Today I spent the day auditioning an Ayre QB-9 DAC for purchase and found that it worked perfectly when connected to the Zuma's USB 2.0 ports, but failed when connected to the USB 3.0 ports. When using the 3.0 ports connected to the motherboard, the DAC tried to play but the speakers only emitted an occasional snippet of badly distorted sound, rather than music. When using the SOtM tX-USBexp USB 3.0 port, I could get the DAC to play--but not reliably. It would play a song or two and then stop, causing JRiver to hang. Or, if I stopped play and then attempted to play a different track, JRiver would appear to be playing music (the elapsed time indicator continued to move, as if music was playing), but no sound came out. When I tried to do anything at that point, JRiver would hang. If I then forced JRiver to close, it wouldn't reopen, the error message stating that JRiver was already running. In practice, the only option was to wrest control of the computer away from the Ayre and to reboot.

The bottom line is that I would like to use the Ayre (when I get it) with the SOtM tX-USBexp card, but it doesn't seem to work correctly. In earlier posts, you mention that every DAC you've tested worked perfectly with the SOtM tX-USBexp. Did you or any of your readers try it with the Ayre QB-9? Any ideas? Thank you!

Hi everybody!

Does anybody of the community knows if there is any company that build the Zuma server in Italy? I like very much the project but I'm not capable to build it and duty and trasportation to Italy are really high.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Riccardo

Look at this: Streacom Fanless Media PC

They will build you virtually the same thing as the CAPS Zuma (they even have the 3770T in stock that uses less power) for about the same price as Small Green Computer. You would have to order the SOtM USB card separately, but that isn't a big deal, and it plugs right in to your PC. They are in the UK so the shipping and taxes within the EU should be better for you.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi Norman - Thanks for the kind words. I'm surprised the Ayre DAC had issues. Did the Ayre / Thesycon driver install OK? Are you using WASAPI - Event Style as the output mode?

Hi Chris. Thanks for responding. I used WASAPI - Event Style as the output mode. But, I did not install the Thesycon driver, as Ayre's web site recommends to do so only when planning to use sample rates > 96 KHz. Since the only sources I have at the moment are ripped CD's, I didn't attempt the higher-res config. With 64-bit Win8, installing the Thesycon is a bit of a challenge, so I left that step for later, once I actually take delivery of the Ayre and have more time to mess with it. In any case, it seemed from Ayre's guidance on the web that the Thesycon driver wasn't necessary at this point.

There is also an italicized clause on the Ayre site stating that the Thesycon driver is incompatible with USB 3.0, but this statement is in their Windows 7 instructions, and seems to be related to the fact that Win 7 does not have native USB 3.0 drivers. Since Windows 8 does have such drivers, there' some ambiguity there regarding whether the Thesycon drivers will work in Win 8 with the Ayre.

Ayre's web site does quite explicitly say that the DAC does not comply with the USB 3.0 standard, but it also seems to imply that the unit can be used with a USB 3.0 interface, but that it would be limited to Class 1 audio at 96KHz. My assumption was that the USB 3.0 interface would function as a 2.0 interface with the Ayre, w/o the Thesycon. Maybe that's an erroneous assumption.

Unfortunately, I can't test any further until my Ayre arrives from the factory. But, I'm hoping to have a game plan for when it arrives. I sure want to use the SOtM tX-USBexp card when all is said and done.

I am experiencing the same issues as Norman posted, (see my prior posts). Has any one gotten the sotm exp card 3.0 to play files alternating resolutions with out it locking up? If so, can you respond helping us with the settings?

I have contacted sonore, sotm, and this posting for advice with no luck so far. The sotm does sound better than the mother board 2.0 ports so the sotm is worth the efforts.

As listed prior, the mother board plays all resolutions with out issue so my problem is with the sotm interface.

Thanks so much for any help,

Help!

I have just received a ZUMA from Small Green Computer, loaded JRiver and attempted to load the driver for my dcs DAC. I get an error message stating that the current operating system (Windows 8) is not supported. Supported operating systems are: Windows XP (32/64 bit), Windows Server (32/64 bit), Vista (32/64 bit), and Windows 7 (32/64) bit. I contacted dcs and received the following reply:

"Sorry to hear that you are having problems – ......

We do not have a Windows 8 PC at dCS as yet, but we will look into this soon. Myself and our Technical Director have looked at W8 briefly and decided Microsoft have made a huge mistake. I gather we are not the only ones.

In common with many other manufacturers, our products use the Thesycon/XMOS interface and driver, so any driver update will have to come from them.

One customer mentioned that the PC’s USB interface could be set to W7 compatibility mode - this was said to solve the problem. Unfortunately, I do not have the details. Chris Connaker may be able to advise you – I am sure he is up to speed with W8 by now."

Does anybody have any advice?

Bob

Help!

I have just received a ZUMA from Small Green Computer, loaded JRiver and attempted to load the driver for my dcs DAC. I get an error message stating that the current operating system (Windows 8) is not supported. Supported operating systems are: Windows XP (32/64 bit), Windows Server (32/64 bit), Vista (32/64 bit), and Windows 7 (32/64) bit. I contacted dcs and received the following reply:

"Sorry to hear that you are having problems – ......

We do not have a Windows 8 PC at dCS as yet, but we will look into this soon. Myself and our Technical Director have looked at W8 briefly and decided Microsoft have made a huge mistake. I gather we are not the only ones.

In common with many other manufacturers, our products use the Thesycon/XMOS interface and driver, so any driver update will have to come from them.

One customer mentioned that the PC’s USB interface could be set to W7 compatibility mode - this was said to solve the problem. Unfortunately, I do not have the details. Chris Connaker may be able to advise you – I am sure he is up to speed with W8 by now."

Does anybody have any advice?

Hi Bob - Here you go -> http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/how-install-xmos-thesycon-usb-drivers-windows-8-a-13772/

I know it works with dCS. I've done it :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I am experiencing the same issues as Norman posted, (see my prior posts). Has any one gotten the sotm exp card 3.0 to play files alternating resolutions with out it locking up? If so, can you respond helping us with the settings?

I have contacted sonore, sotm, and this posting for advice with no luck so far. The sotm does sound better than the mother board 2.0 ports so the sotm is worth the efforts.

As listed prior, the mother board plays all resolutions with out issue so my problem is with the sotm interface.

Hi Guys - This is so weird. I'm using my Zuma server right now and playing all sample rates without a hiccup. I have the Bel Canto uLink connected via USB to the SOtM card. I'm using WASAPI - Event Style as the output mode. The uLink uses the XMOS chipset and Thesycon driver.

Hi Guys - This is so weird. I'm using my Zuma server right now and playing all sample rates without a hiccup. I have the Bel Canto uLink connected via USB to the SOtM card. I'm using WASAPI - Event Style as the output mode. The uLink uses the XMOS chipset and Thesycon driver.

Interesting. I guess my next step, once I take delivery on my Ayre, is to go ahead and install the Thesycon driver and see if that makes a difference. I don't think it should, as I think the SOtM card should just work out of the box as a 2.0 USB interface whether or not the Thesycon driver is installed. The Thesycon, as I understand it, is for implementing Class 2 audio, but it shouldn't be needed for garden variety 44.1 KHz sampling rates. (Of course, I could be surprised.) Since it will take a week before my Ayre shows up at my house, I won't be able to report back until then. I'll continue to follow this thread for insights, however. Thank you!

Interesting. I guess my next step, once I take delivery on my Ayre, is to go ahead and install the Thesycon driver and see if that makes a difference. I don't think it should, as I think the SOtM card should just work out of the box as a 2.0 USB interface whether or not the Thesycon driver is installed. The Thesycon, as I understand it, is for implementing Class 2 audio, but it shouldn't be needed for garden variety 44.1 KHz sampling rates. (Of course, I could be surprised.) Since it will take a week before my Ayre shows up at my house, I won't be able to report back until then. I'll continue to follow this thread for insights, however. Thank you!

Yes, the Thesycon driver is needed only for >96 kHz files. If you're using the SOtM USB card, that should render moot the USB 2 v. 3 issue. I'm not sure whether the SOtM card will affect whether or not you'll need the Thesycon driver. I suggest using the Ayre website info and Chris' JRiver set-up info. If you have any problems or questions, just call Ayre. They have top-shelf customer service (but they don't do e-mail).

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I was able to get my SOtM PCIe USB card to work, but not with every DAC. I am running JRiver on Windows 7 and using the driver included on the SOtM CD for the PCIe card. When I used a USB Class 1 DAC (both the AQ Dragonfly and the MF M1DAC-A, with a max of 24/96) the standard windows USB driver got installed. I could play 16/44.1 files without problems, but if I tried to play a 24/96 file then the whole system locked up and I had to hard shutdown to solve the problem. However, when I used the PS Audio NuWave DAC (a USB Class 2 DAC, max of 24/192), then everything worked perfectly. I installed the downloadable PS Audio driver and I can switch file sample rates without a hitch. The settings within JRiver don't seem to make a difference. I'm using WASAPI-Event Style with no changes to the digital output.

A few days ago I posted about a problem I have with the SATA II filter. As I got no response I asked SotM Korea. I got the following reply: "The following issue has been reported occasionally, and we think it's related to the SATA signal line.The old version of SATA filter doesn't have a filter on SATA signal line, but the new SATA filter II(type II rev. 1.6c) has a filter on SATA signal line, and it occurs such a problem with a specific mainboard which supports sata 3.0 and cables. So if you can, please change the SATA cable and try it again, I recommend you to use normal SATA cable which is certified and not handmade.

It is strange that I have this problem and others (i.e. Chris, see the photo's) not as I used exactly the same components.

However, what strikes me is the fact that in the SATA II filter there is also a filter in the signal line. I wonder if this is desirable. The old SATA filter has no filter in the signal line.

Look at this: Streacom Fanless Media PC

They will build you virtually the same thing as the CAPS Zuma (they even have the 3770T in stock that uses less power) for about the same price as Small Green Computer. You would have to order the SOtM USB card separately, but that isn't a big deal, and it plugs right in to your PC. They are in the UK so the shipping and taxes within the EU should be better for you.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

I will mail to Quiet PC to see if is possible to add the SOtM card.

Riccardo