IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Zuma

Chris,

Thank you for the prompt response.

a) My audio room does not have wired internet, so I guess I would need the suggested wifi card. Do you think Small Green Computer would sell with this option? or quite simple to install?

b) Is RWA already selling the two batteries/two voltages 12V regulated version of the Black Lightning power supply suitable for the Zuma? If not, did they say when will it be available?

Cheers,

VPN

I would talk to Andrew from SGC about the WiFi card and to Vinnie from RWA about the power supply.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

Thank you, I will check with them.

Regarding the USB 3.0 card, you wrote: "I've tested the card with every DAC that has come through Computer Audiophile and haven't had a single issue.""

Reading the info in the link you provided, with the detailed specs, in the SOtm website it says:

"Unsupported Devices with Windows

M2Tech HiFace v1 and M2Tech HiFace OEM v1

The following devices are based on M2Tech boards:

Empirical Audio, Eastern Electric, Wyred4Sound, Chrod, JKenny

Playback Design

MSB Technology

Mytek""

I have a Playback Designs MPS-5 with USB-X and may buy a MSB DAC. Did you have the opportunity to try this USB card with these two DACs?

Thanks,

VPN

Cable Modem w/Mojo 5 power-> Innuos Zenith SE running Roon+Tidal-> Totaldac server-> Totaldac Twelve SE-> CH Precision L1+X1-> 2x Krell FPB 750mcx-> Modded Dunlavy SC-VI w/ Duelund crossovers  Cables: Kubala Realization (speaker), Echole Omnia 2x XLR and 3x AES, Totaldac Gigafilter USB,  Other: Echole Omnia power cables, SRA Scuttle mk.3 Rack, SRA VR 3.0 platforms, four dedicated 20A lines

Im currently playing music via JMRC on desktop to PS Audio dac (PWD + bridge) over ethernet. I want to move things up a few notches by adding a CAPS3 server. I want to be able to use Jplay/JRMC and also JRMC with Fidelizer.

I have some options and am looking for feedback please.

Option 1:

* Use the existing USB HD attached to the desktop and share it with the CAPS.

* Connect CAPS to the DAC via USB.

Music files will be available to the CAPS over ethernet. This avoids having 2 USB devices).

Why use a NAS instead of a shared usb HD? I have a sheduled backup regime so don't need/want RAID.

Option 2:

* Buy an esata drive (3 TB for some future-proofing) for the library.

I assume I can update this remotely from the desktop if it's shared?

* Play from the CAPS to the DAC via ethernet. This means I don't need the SOTM usb card.

Option 3:

* Use the existing USB HD and attach to a CAPS3 usb port. Share this for remote update of the library.

* Connect CAPS to the DAC via ethernet.

Why worry about super-fast read rates from storage? The DAC plays from memory and so does JPLAY/JRMC.

Im currently playing music via JMRC on desktop to PS Audio dac (PWD + bridge) over ethernet. I want to move things up a few notches by adding a CAPS3 server. I want to be able to use Jplay/JRMC and also JRMC with Fidelizer.

A couple of starting points.

First, when you say PS Audio PWD + Bridge - is yours the Mk1 or Mk2 version?

If you stick with using Ethernet then you will only need the "basic" level CAPS (sorry Chris but you're code names are horrid when needing to remember which is which quickly).

Secondly only if you are connecting the CAPS direct to the DAC will JPlay vs JRMC and Fidelia be relevant.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I think wifi is a great add on. Thanks for the suggestion Chris. Purely because with a battery powered caps it's one less source of electrical interference.

So is SGC providing a Zuma "kit" yet? Do they intend to ? Cheers.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

I think wifi is a great add on. Thanks for the suggestion Chris. Purely because with a battery powered caps it's one less source of electrical interference.

Another option for WiFi would be to connect the CAPS to a wireless bridge (Apple Airport Express can be used this way and Belkin, Netgear and others all have similar devices). That may be better as could be located away from the CAPS to remove potential source of RF emissions.

This also works well if you want to attach a CAPS to a NAS - wire both to the wireless bridge and both can also communicate via WiFi to the Internet or to be controlled by a tablet / smartphone type device.

Not sure if Chris or anyone has ever compared the two options.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Hi Eloise,

I take your point about the basic CAPS3 flavour being sufficient for ethernet playback but Im keen to have the most powerful, flexible and upgradeable solution and also for 64 bits. I want to be able to try out different configurations.

Thanks for the reminder that JPLAY only works for playing via usb. That leaves the question of the location of the storage and I guess I can try out the different options when I get the CAPS set up.

Has anyone compared remote usb HDs against local drives, esp esata?

RE:

"The RWA has two power cables, one for the motherboard and one for the SOtM card. The Zuma server has a DC input port on the back for the motherboard and the SOtM card has a DC input on the rear of the case."

Does any one know (or did I miss it in the above comments) the size of the DC input ports on the back of the motherboard and on the rear of the SOtM card? Are they both 5.5mm external diameter and 2.5 mm internal diameter DC plugs?

Thanks.

MG555

Hi Eloise - I prefer my model names, after the sunny beaches of Malibu, compared to some of your favorite components from Chord -> QBD76HD / QBD76HDSD.

All in good fun of course :~)

Smiles ... perhaps if we had some nice sunny beaches here we'd name some components after them...

I can't see the Chord Mablethorpe or Naim Morcombe selling very well :-)

If I was being really critical - I can see the first three being the spiritual sucessor to the original CAPS and each are development of each other - Topanga the basic model; Lagoon adding the SotM card and (optional) PSU then Carbon replacing the case to allow for further development - but Zuma is more a separate thing ... a branching away from the original idea (though still meeting the criteria). Almost like Topanga, Lagoon and Carbon are CAPSv3a, b and c with Zuma almost CAPSv4.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Smiles ... perhaps if we had some nice sunny beaches here we'd name some components after them...

I can't see the Chord Mablethorpe or Naim Morcombe selling very well :-)

Eloise

Last I checked, there weren't too many sunny beaches in Minnesota this time of year. I am thinking that they might use spots in the French Riviera...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Special Request for Chris C.

Hi Chris.

Could you contact SGC and put in a request for a CAPS V3 Zuma "kit"

Same format as the lagoon kit. Everything made up (user self installs SSD and OS)

The Zuma is a complex build. One wrong move, when installing the processor, and you bend a pin your done! What I did instead is allow you buy the Zuma with no Memory, SSD, or OS. This is in essence a kit but you don't need to do the complex part. All you do is install the SSD and load the OS.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

I had asked my friend and audio engineer Bascom King about how to get a complete 6.5-9V power supply to use in addition to a 12v supply to power the Zuma. He brought up the possibility of using a separate regulator fed off the 12V supply instead. He wanted to

know what current is drawn from the 12V and 6.5-9V supplies in order to figure out the viability of the separate 6.5-9V regulator fed off the 12V supply.

MG555

I also prefer this case: A-Tech Fabrication HeatSync Mini-Client 2500 HeatSync Mini-Client 2500

+1 on the A-Tech Fabrication Mini-Client 2500. Mine is built with a 2600S and A-Tech will make heat pipes for other MoBos on request.

Software: Realtime Debian 11-64, JRMC28-64, Custom VST3-64, CamillaDSP-64 (2x8 channel 64-bit FIR multi-pass convolution), RePhase, REW, Custom Driver Level DRC-FIR upgrades, JRMC CloudPlay, Pandora, Spotify, dBPowerAmp Reference,

2 Channel: A-Tech Fabrication i7-3770K/NVMe/Passive Cooling-No Moving Parts->OKTO DAC8 PRO->QuadAmping - MagTech/Mark Levinson #336/IcePower ASP1000->Magnepan 20.1's, NEO8's & OB/Dipole Subs

Home Theater: Anthem Statement D2V->W4S 7x1000->Magnepan 3.6's/CC3/MC2's+Martin Logan Descent I Subs

Office: Core-i7 3770S/SSD->Xonar Essence STX->W4S µDAC->W4S STI-1000->Magnepan Mini-Maggies

Garage: Dell Laptop->W4S uDAC->AdCom Amp->B&W Rock Solid