IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Zuma

I realy like these articles, but I would love to read one with Voyage MPD or Vortexbox as OS, and se how this would messure up to a Windows or OSX server with regards to sound quality. I can see the point you make with regards to setting up this OS requires a little more skill compared to W8, but linux has come far in recent years, and there is a lot of forums to seek help, so it should be possible for most out there to get it up and running.

In my opinion MPD beats W8 and OSX when it comes to the sound quality. And with Mpad on iPad operation is a breeze

Makes No Sense At All » MPaD

I realy like these articles, but I would love to read one with Voyage MPD or Vortexbox as OS, and se how this would messure up to a Windows or OSX server with regards to sound quality. I can see the point you make with regards to setting up this OS requires a little more skill compared to W8, but linux has come far in recent years, and there is a lot of forums to seek help, so it should be possible for most out there to get it up and running.

In my opinion MPD beats W8 and OSX when it comes to the sound quality. And with Mpad on iPad operation is a breeze

Makes No Sense At All » MPaD

Hey stejorge, Chris had already mentioned his position on this, and I think it's a good one.

Hi dpaws - I understand what you're saying and I expected...

...I'd love some of the CA readers to start CAPS v3 Linux discussions on the forum. Let's get moving :~)

I'm fairly computer savvy and don't mind some trial and error, filled with black and blue screens that go nowhere, but not everyone is up for that. If you started up a discussion about CAPS v3 Zuma with your choice build of Linux and MPaD, paring it down and specializing it for music I think you'd have people jump on board and you could all sort it out together. I can definitely assure you that once I got mine I'd get in on your build thread and provide what I could. I think taking the Linux avenue and searching for the best possible sound from it with no limitations, like full DSD and 24/192 support, is a fantastic idea!

Finished the build of my v3 Zuma Saturday night; no big changes from Chris' specs, used a HD-Plex H5.S case and 128 GB on the Samsung 840 Pro because of availability. Installed Win 8 Pro & JRMC 18 last night, everything has gone smoothly so far. Still deciding on a USB DAC and resisting the urge to get a USB/SPDIF converter, so it will be a while before it goes in the rack.

What happens when you try to play high res?

What DAC?

I get a window: 1. Program is also running under different user account.

2. Media Center 18 and Media Server are both in Windows Start Up.

You must delete one.

3. The program is not responding for an unknown reason.

I'm using a Classe CP 800 Dac/Pre.

Thanks

Paul

Re: problem with the picoPSU connecting wire being too short by 2",

I sent Mini-Box and Ituner an email telling them about the problem, and they said the following: "I have checked with our technicians and they cannot make these cables longer. These cables are soldered onto the PCB over in our factory overseas. The only way is to "extend" them as you have done (solder an extra piece of wire on) and it is not something we do locally....

Chris, do you have any other source for a longer wire that will work in the case without having to solder on another piece of wire? Maybe you can urge them to make a longer version.

Andrew of Small Green says he makes his own harnesses and yes, there is a problem with length of the stock wire connector, so that makes Andrew, me and Sebassie (above) who've hit the same problem.

That said, the Zuma sounds great with a Bolder 12 v LPS driving the MOBO and the SOtM double battery power supply

(SOtM mBPS-d2s Intelligent Battery Power Supply) driving the SOtM u

MG555

Re: problem with the picoPSU connecting wire being too short by 2",

I sent Mini-Box and Ituner an email telling them about the problem, and they said the following: "I have checked with our technicians and they cannot make these cables longer. These cables are soldered onto the PCB over in our factory overseas. The only way is to "extend" them as you have done (solder an extra piece of wire on) and it is not something we do locally....

Chris, do you have any other source for a longer wire that will work in the case without having to solder on another piece of wire? Maybe you can urge them to make a longer version.

Andrew of Small Green says he makes his own harnesses and yes, there is a problem with length of the stock wire connector, so that makes Andrew, me and Sebassie (above) who've hit the same problem.

You can see on the jpg pix the added wire, the solders covered by black tape.

That said, the Zuma sounds fantastic with a Bolder 12 v LPS driving the MOBO and the SOtM double battery power supply

(SOtM mBPS-d2s Intelligent Battery Power Supply) driving the SOtM usb board. Much better than my heavily modded 2010 Mac Mini with LPS, etc.

Great work, Chris!

short wire from the  pico power to the terminal on the case - need another 2 inches.jpg

MG555

Finished the build of my v3 Zuma Saturday night; no big changes from Chris' specs, used a HD-Plex H5.S case and 128 GB on the Samsung 840 Pro because of availability. Installed Win 8 Pro & JRMC 18 last night, everything has gone smoothly so far. Still deciding on a USB DAC and resisting the urge to get a USB/SPDIF converter, so it will be a while before it goes in the rack.

Mike, did you have any trouble with the 12V DC cable of the picoPSU-150-XT (white/black) being too short? As it is on the Streacom FC5WS EVO case.

I emailed the picoPSU-150-XT + 102W Adapter Power Kit suppliers (at Mini-box.com™, a subsidiary of Ituner Networks Corp) and they said the cable cannot be built/supplied longer than it is because it's made in Asia. They said that you have to do as we did -- solder more wire on before adding the picoPsu to the mobo.

Andrew at SGC said he found the same problem with the Streacom. That makes a number of us. Perhaps Chris can weigh in on this, and how he got around this problem.

But builders should be aware of this problem before starting.

MG555

I had the exact same problem with the 12V DC cable of the picoPSU-150-XT (white/black) -- 2 inches too short to reach the back wall of the case where the outlet has to be. We had to solder another few inches of wire. This could conceivably compromise the sound. I'm curious if this was the case when Chris C tried to build it. Maybe the company shortened the cable in December.

You could do as I did and try one of these.......

Newegg.com - KINGWIN Model PEC-01 8" ATX 12V 4P(M) to 4P(F) P4 Extension Cable

If I used an outboard AD converter, could the Zuma be used as a recorder?

Yes, the Zuma would make a good recorder. The problem would be many ADC use firewire which the Zuma doesn't support as designed - but you could forgoe the SotM USB card and put a firewire card in, or possibly use something in the Mini PCIe slot or use a larger case (such as Streacom FC9 or FC10) and use one of the other PCIe slots.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

mikeP, by using the HD-Plex H5.S case, did you avoid the problem Sebassie mentions just above? The 12V DC cable of the picoPSU-150-XT (white/black) is too short, so one should do something about that before adding the picoPSU to the mobo. Ituner.com, the maker of the picoPSU, says the wire cannot be made longer by them and that you have to solder yourself more wire to reach the edge of the Stearcom.

MG555

mikeP, by using the HD-Plex H5.S case, did you avoid the problem Sebassie mentions just above? The 12V DC cable of the picoPSU-150-XT (white/black) is too short, so one should do something about that before adding the picoPSU to the mobo. Ituner.com, the maker of the picoPSU, says the wire cannot be made longer by them and that you have to solder yourself more wire to reach the edge of the Stearcom.

No problem with the length of the cable; when you order the H5.S case with the PicoPSU it comes with a 4-pin Mini DIN cable that terminates in a mounting plate that fits the case, and is plenty long enough.

See it here under Package Content:

HDPLEX H5.S Fanless Computer Case - HDPLEX INC

mikeP: what other reasons did you weigh to choose the HDPLEX H5.S Fanless Aluminum Computer HTPC Case? We're building another Zuma soon and maybe we should switch cases. Others should weigh in too.

I was browsing cases while considering a build of a Carbon and found the H5.S, my preference for the DC connection vs. the Streacom sealed the deal.

mikeP: what other reasons did you weigh to choose the HDPLEX H5.S Fanless Aluminum Computer HTPC Case? We're building another Zuma soon and maybe we should switch cases. Others should weigh in too.

I found the case while considering a build of the v3 Carbon, preference for the 4-pin Mini DIN DC connection sealed the deal.

It's a really good case.

mikeP. Thanks. But what's the connector on the outside of the HD-Plex H5.S if you run an external LPS: a standard IEC, right?

If so, I'm sure Vinnie of Red Wine could configure that kind of connector for his battery power supply.

Did Chris C. already weigh in on the HD-Plex H5.S?

If not, maybe he could address this and the issue with the Streacom and the short cable issue (12V DC cable of the picoPSU-150-XT (white/black) not reaching)

MG555

mikeP: which power supply did you order with the HD-Plex H5.S case? The 150W AC-DC FSP Adpater w/160XT PicoPSU Combo?

Does this power supply come with the IEC terminal for the outside of the case?

I'm not sure which case to use for the 2nd Zuma build: What other pro's (vs. con's) made you choose the HD-Plex over the Streacom?

Thanks.

MG555

mikeP: which power supply did you order with the HD-Plex H5.S case? The 150W AC-DC FSP Adpater w/160XT PicoPSU Combo?

Does this power supply come with the IEC terminal for the outside of the case?

I'm not sure which case to use for the 2nd Zuma build: What other pro's (vs. con's) made you choose the HD-Plex over the Streacom?

Thanks.

MG555