IGNORED

eclassical Christmas sale

This looks like a really good deal on some good recordings.

Digital: QNAP TVS-871 > Sonore ultraRendu > Modwright Oppo 205

Analog: VPI Prime w/Kiseki Purpleheart > Zesto Audio Andros 1.2

Amp & Speakers: Modified Line Magnetic 518ia > Daedalus Audio Argos v.2

Backbone: PS Audio P5, Wireworld Silver Electra 7 powercords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 interconnects, Steve Blinn Designs Audio Rack

Yes, especially the BIS stuff, cuz it's usually original native PCM. And although I am not a fan of todays (Dec 1) selection, it is almost 90 minutes of 24/96 for $10.

Thanks for the heads up.

Nice start to the series with TANGO ROYAL from Pentatone records in 96/24 at 50% off on day 1 it was around $10, but as I write, it is now day 2, now it is around $16. However the new special for today is Schubert Works for Violin and Piano Volume 2, at 88.2/24 for $11, with violin played by the famous Julia Fischer.

Two specials are released each day leading up to Christmas, one from the BIS Record label and the other from PentaTone Classics.

I check their site every morning. Last christmas' daily deal from them was rather expensive for me ;-) I dl'ed the tango royal. Some interesting piazolla works that I didn't have before. SQ as expected based on previous dk's of their titles: ok, but nothing special.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Well, these guys are brilliant. This has become part of my morning routine to check the days specials. I buy something most days and the recordings have all been delightful -- both for performance and sound. Terrific offerings.

You may notice that they also have a "Daily Super Bargain". Each time I've looked that's also been a 50% discount. Not necessarily high res on that offer, however.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

I purchased a few of these albums. Unfortunately I can't get them to show up in mPad or mPod so I can't listen to them. I've never had this problem with HD Tracks. Maybe something in the metadata?

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Today's half-price special from BIS is very nice: Flute and piano sonatas by Poulenc, Martin, Martinu, Reinecke and Messiaen. Played by Bezaly (flute) and Brautigam (piano).

The Poulenc is one of his most famous pieces, and one of the most famous of all flute pieces.

The Martin and Martinu also are very good. Brautigam is fantastic in the Martinu.

I'm not a great fan of the Reinecke, except for the Mendelssohnian 2nd movement.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

I purchased a few of these albums. Unfortunately I can't get them to show up in mPad or mPod so I can't listen to them. I've never had this problem with HD Tracks. Maybe something in the metadata?

Not positive but isn't iPod limited to 16/44.1? Were your HDTracks downloads in 24 bits and higher than 44.1kHz?

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Not positive but isn't iPod limited to 16/44.1? Were your HDTracks downloads in 24 bits and higher than 44.1kHz?

iPod? He said mPad or mPod, two remote GUI clients for a Linux MPD music player/server. Like Apple remote (only better). :)

HDtracks? This thread is about eclassical's Christmas discounted downloads.

Pentatone, yes, I agree. :) But the BIS stuff? The DSD files would be a step backward (and I'm a DSD ho!!) cuz they are native PCM. These are better than the SACDs since they were recorded in 24/44 (and later 24/96) to begin with. Only BIS's first 9 SACD's were DSD-based.

BIS stuff sounds great IMHO. At first I was reluctant because of the 24/44.1 thing, but a good recording is not only samplerate. take into account micophones,...

all in all BIS stuff sounds great, among the finest,.. in my system, to my ears.

Just my 2 cents :)

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.

Pentatone, yes, I agree. :) But the BIS stuff? The DSD files would be a step backward (and I'm a DSD ho!!) cuz they are native PCM. These are better than the SACDs since they were recorded in 24/44 (and later 24/96) to begin with. Only BIS's first 9 SACD's were DSD-based.

Ted,

There seem to be a few exceptions. The recent Beethoven string trios by Trio Zimmermann were recorded in DSD according to the liner notes (which state that a Pyramix DSD workstation was used).

Boris.

I still don't know why eClassical Flac files don't appear in mPad / mPod, but I solved the problem by converting them to AIFF using Max. The albums are now visible and playable...and sound great!

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Ted,

There seem to be a few exceptions. The recent Beethoven string trios by Trio Zimmermann were recorded in DSD according to the liner notes (which state that a Pyramix DSD workstation was used).

Boris.

As far as I know all BIS recordings are PCM (...sequoia workstation). Pyramix workstation DSD is used only to make the SACDs.

Fortunately for most of we that have PCM DACs to reproduce files it is a native PCM recording.

DSD natives must be "converted" to PCM to make the flacs you download. Conversion is a downgrade, either if it is hardware done (Pyramix,...) or software done (Weiss Saracon,...).

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.

Ted,

Boris.

No, again that example, see below, is PCM (24/88.2k original sample rate). Any DSD was in the conversion to the SACD disc format.

eClassical - Ludwig van Beethoven: String Trios Op.9

Respighi Roman Trilogy

is today's half-price Christmas special from BIS.

Detailed, colorful performances, emphasizing beauty over flash.

Today's Pentatone special includes a good but low-key Faure "Pelleas & Mellisande" suite. My only comparison is Dutoit. Kreizberg has more nuance and inner detail, but less drama than Dutoit. The Ravel "Bells" is pretty rare and worth snagging. The other pieces on the album are widely available in livelier performances. For "Daphnis & Chloe" I recommend Levine, a 24/96 download from the Boston Sym website.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Don't miss this one:

eClassical - Mozart ? Violin Concertos

Great performance and great sound quality.

22/12/2012 50%

Don't miss this one:

eClassical - Mozart ? Violin Concertos

Great performance and great sound quality.

22/12/2012 50%

Yes. I've had the disc version since it came out. I've gathered quite a number of complete Mozart violin concerto sets over the years, and this one does stand out in this rather crowded space. And don't miss the second volume here:

eClassical - Mozart Violin Concertos II

Andy

No, again that example, see below, is PCM (24/88.2k original sample rate). Any DSD was in the conversion to the SACD disc format.

eClassical - Ludwig van Beethoven: String Trios Op.9

Thanks for the clarification. The liner notes say that they used a Sequoia workstation which confirms your observation that it was recorded in PCM. The liner notes also say that they used a Pyramix DSD workstation. I wonder if this was just for SACD mastering or if they recorded simultaneously in PCM (for redbook and downloads) and DSD (for SACD).