IGNORED

Are you interested in measuring your setup?

Are you Interested in measurements?  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Collectively, this has been done on other forums where an accurate but fairly easy to operate measurement rig is made available to members to 'lease' with the term payment returned on return of the gear in working order. This way, it could be circulated throughout the member base. Of course, there would need to be a support base thread for questions on operation and interpreting results.

Thanks for starting the thread!

I'd certainly be interested, though I'm guessing any modifications to the room would be extremely limited - have to pass wifely approval. (Small speaker placement mods are probably possible, though.) And electronic means beyond preamp tone adjustments will be outside the budget. Still, having an idea what's going on will be valuable over and above any ability to modify.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Fully System_3-13-11.png

It's the only way to know what you're really hearing. In fact, I listen through measurements.

The measurements are actually better now and I do NOT use any eq.

GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

In addition to the idea of passing around measurement tools, it would be great is someone could suggest something people could purchase off Amazon or something. If there was a great iPad app and microphone that worked great or whatever, I'm sure many people would love to own it. I make small system changes all the time and would love to know what is really going on.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I have done it many times. I really don't think it's possible to optimize a system without some measurements. I don't believe people when they say they have a good ear and don't need no stinkin' microphone.

I think many of us actually have a good ear, but measurements allow us to actually identify what it is we're hearing......certainly an invaluable tool to add to the box.

I own Audiotools on my iPad & iPhone but I don't have a good mic or a calibration profile so I was never sure if I was measuring the right thing. So I ended up biting the bullet and ordering XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro and have been quite happy with the results. I know others who are more handy would probably buy their own microphones, get the appropriate microphone calibration curves and run more sophisticated software on their PC/Mac/iOS devices. I just didn't want to hunt and assemble all the parts so XTZ RTA fits the bill for me.

In addition to the idea of passing around measurement tools, it would be great is someone could suggest something people could purchase off Amazon or something. If there was a great iPad app and microphone that worked great or whatever, I'm sure many people would love to own it. I make small system changes all the time and would love to know what is really going on.

Someone mentioned the OmniMic system....which considering the cost is an excellent system. It's very user friendly...a big plus when comparing to more sophisticated suites like SoundEasy.

I got one of these from Parts Express - Dayton Audio EMM-6 Electret Measurement Microphone for about $50. This solution is a good one for those of us with audio interfaces with phantom powered balanced microphone inputs. I also got this software from Parts Express - True Audio TrueRTA Audio Spectrum Analyzer Software ($40). I think the software is Windows only. The microphone has a calibration curve you can download. I'm tempted to get a second mic for stereo recording. These are small diaphragm condenser microphones - sort of a cheap version of the Earthworks small diaphragm condenser mics that Barry Diament likes to record with.

Haven't had a chance to play with all this yet, but if you have a recording interface with balanced mic inputs and phantom power this is an economical way to go.

Big ass 6 core AMD Gigabyte computer > EMU PCIe interface > EMU 1616M > various headphones, amps, speakers

Mac book pro retina > Audioquest Dragonfly > various headphones, amps, speakers

JohnMH

I am surprised by some of the people here that haven't measured their rooms yet!

Hell yes it is important to at least see what your room is doing!

For example, let's take a look at a couple of cheap headphones, a reasonable set of headphones, and one of the more highly regarded sets around... =2781&graphID[]=3591&graphID[]=3221&graphID[]=1233"]here

Notice the trend? The cheap ones measure poorly... while the best around measure the most flat in the low and mid range.

So why shouldn't this apply to our rooms as well? Measure your room and see what is going on! Everybody's rooms are different as there are so many variables involved. Two identical systems could sound totally different in two different rooms.

For me the easiest program to use was TrueRTA. I simply use the calibration mic that came with my AVR. Plug it into the mic imput of the PC's soundcard. TrueRTA plays pink noise from the PC to my audio system and voila... the frequency response of my system and room.

I would be very interesting in measuring my room/setup and being able to more concretely see what changes I make are (actually) doing.

I recently moved to a much larger listening room, and have noticed many problems on the low end in the new room. This is even with dipole bass which was perfect in my previous listening rooms. So far it sounds like I have some major nodes and at least one large suckout, but its very difficult to tell exactly what's going on by ear. I also think listening to bass sweeps by ear is quite a laborious (200hz to 20hz 10-20 times in a row at realistic listening volumes...) , and for my untrained ears an unscientific, way to try and correct problems.

I have been considering purchasing measuring equipment, but a recent computer crap out and possible system addition has put this on hold for now..

Foobar/Squeezebox Duet ->USB,SPDIF/RCA ->Benchmark DAC1 HDR ->Orion ASP ->ATI 6012 ->Linkwitzlab Orion

I am using Fuzzmeasure (Mac). I think it is essential if one builds speakers like I do but measurements are also very helpful for the optimization of speaker and listening position setup. A lot of measurements and averaging them is required as only a few inches difference in microphone position (like the distance between left and right ear) result in quite different results.

Nice thing about a more sophisticated measurement rig is that it will allow for accurate nearfileld measurements of the speaker system. People would be extremely surprised what nearfield and close milking can reveal when harmonic distortion sweeps are done properly.

This is the USB mic I bought:

Samson — Meteor Mic

It has a good review in the New York Times.

Meteor_frequency-480.gif

Ordered one from Amazon for fairly cheap. I have tried using the iPad apps with an external mic that plugs into headphone jack with poor results. I am hoping this works much better.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Yes

I use REW and have done many room measurements...mine is far from flat

Next step it treatment and/or digital correction

-Caleb

C.A.P.Sv2-Mytek Stereo192-Twisted Pair Audio Buffalo III M-ch-Sennheiser HD800-Beyerdynamic T1-Lexicon MC12b-Theta Dreadnought-Infinity Prelude MTS-Sonos-JRiver MC-12TB DataTale eSATA

I am surprised by some of the people here that haven't measured their rooms yet!

Part of that is not knowing how to do it right (at least in my case).

TrueRTA plays pink noise from the PC to my audio system and voila... the frequency response of my system and room.

I thought pink noise would look like this, so that you would get a log-linear decreasing slope as you go up in frequency:

Pink_noise_spectrum.png

I thought pink noise would look like this, so that you would get a log-linear decreasing slope as you go up in frequency:

I thought Pink Noise was equal energy per octave and would present a flat line in ideal scenarios. This is why Pink Noise tests are preferred to using test tones at given intervals, since it is equal.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo