IGNORED

Article: PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MKII Review

Hello Cris!

Congrats for another great review!

Did you tested gapless?

I know ps audio is being struggling with gapless for some time, and would be nice to have your feedback.

Also, I wonder if you are planning to test the bridge with the silent server.

Would be nice to finally see the product out and understand how it works.

Always tough the combination of the silent server with a independent "lens" would make a great product for the ones who use other dac's, but ps audio does not seem interested in that configuration.

Finally, the other brand I would love you to test and to see how it would perform against your favourite dacs, is Linn. Don't you feel tempted to test a Klimax ds?

Regards...

Hello Cris!

Congrats for another great review!

Did you tested gapless?

I know ps audio is being struggling with gapless for some time, and would be nice to have your feedback.

Also, I wonder if you are planning to test the bridge with the silent server.

Would be nice to finally see the product out and understand how it works.

Always tough the combination of the silent server with a independent "lens" would make a great product for the ones who use other dac's, but ps audio does not seem interested in that configuration.

Finally, the other brand I would love you to test and to see how it would perform against your favourite dacs, is Linn. Don't you feel tempted to test a Klimax ds?

Regards...

Hi MikeJazz - Thanks for the kind words.

Gapless isn't an issue using USB.

I do have future plans for the Bridge etc...

I reviewed the Linn Majik DS-I awhile ago and have been talking to Linn about getting another DS unit in here for review.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, how does the PWD MKII stack up against the other DACs on the CASH list?

Also, you mentioned you used USB and AES/EBU. I assume you used an USB to AES/EBU converter on either the Mac or the CAPS 2.0. Is this a correct assumption? If so, which converter did you use? Did you have a preference fod USB or AES/EBU?

I love some of the lines Chris...

think X Games or Bender from the show Futurama suggesting "Blackmail Is Such an Ugly Word. I prefer 'extortion'. The 'X' makes it sound cool."

Switching from Native to NativeX mode on the MKII the best thing since the Blue Brothers put the band back together.

No electron left behind.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for the review. I just purchased a PWD II last week and was excited to see this review on the home page.

I've been using nativex exclusively with audirvana Plus 1.3.9.9 as well and it sounds great. I also turned off upsampling in audirvana (was previously set at powers of 2).

Did you use the volume control on the the PWD? The balanced outputs overload my integrated amp with the PWD at max volume so I've been reducing the volume to 85. I'm trying to find out if the volume levels are calibrated which would help me get the output level from the balanced outputs down to the 2-2.5 volt range. Im concerned that i may be losing some resolution with 24 bit files by doing this, but I'm not sure how much if any. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Volume - PS Audio Discussion Forum

Thanks for the review. I just purchased a PWD II last week and was excited to see this review on the home page.

I've been using nativex exclusively with audirvana Plus 1.3.9.9 as well and it sounds great. I also turned off upsampling in audirvana (was previously set at powers of 2).

Did you use the volume control on the the PWD? The balanced outputs overload my integrated amp with the PWD at max volume so I've been reducing the volume to 85. I'm trying to find out if the volume levels are calibrated which would help me get the output level from the balanced outputs down to the 2-2.5 volt range. Im concerned that i may be losing some resolution with 24 bit files by doing this, but I'm not sure how much if any. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

Great review, and just in time too. My Perfectwave DAC MkII came today. Currently doing some casual listening; I wanted to let it burn in before doing serious listening and comparisons with my T+A DAC 8. Does anyone know how many hours should I let it burn in? (I was still hearing some changes with my T+A DAC 8 after at 300-400 hours.

I wish the PWD II has a headphone output. Now I have to get a separate headphone amp, but it is probably for the best because the T+A DAC 8's built-in headphone amp is most likely under-powered for the Audeze LCD-2. I ended up ordering the Schiit Lyr.

Chris,

Appreciate the review. I've been on the fence with pulling the trigger on this purchase. The one option I would like to see is an analog input so I can eliminate my preamp and use the perfectwave as a preamp. Have you tried removing the preamp from the line? I would be curious to hear your impressions sans preamp. Thanks again for your time and effort, not only on this review, but for the site as a whole.

John

Thanks for your review of the Perfect Wave Dac II (though it did induce a wee bit of paranoia--I'll have to rush home now to make sure I have mine set to use the "X" lens)...

And God bless you (and your daughter) for listening to Miles and Joni together. I did that with my own kids and now with my grandchildren and absolutely believe it makes a huge difference.

I don't post much but have been reading C.A. since it's beginnings.

best,

Jamie

New London, CT

This sounds like a great unit but it leaves me in my usual state of confusion after reading a DAC review: what is it that makes a $4,000, $10,000, $15,000 DAC superior to a great sounding DAC like my Wyred4Sound DAC1? Is it really 4 to 15 times better sound quality or is it a combination of very slight sonic differences coupled with hype and market segmentation?

Not having the advantage of access to demo units of high-end boxes, I have to rely upon what I read for the most part to try to determine which products I'd like but I have to say, I've been so impressed with the clarity and musicality of the W4S that it is hard for me to imagine a DAC that could be so much better as to make mine sound like an inferior product. I welcome any and all thoughts on the subject (but please don't flame me for calling the value of any specific gear into question).

dammerson vaughan[br]producer, musician, computer audio devotee[br]MacBook Air ->Transparent USB cable ->Wyred4Sound DAC1 ->Transparent MusicLink Interconnects ->Schiit Audio LYR headphone amp ->Sennheiser HD650 headphones with ALO Audio/JenaLabs 18awg copper cryo treated braided hp cables = AWESOME

This sounds like a great unit but it leaves me in my usual state of confusion after reading a DAC review: what is it that makes a $4,000, $10,000, $15,000 DAC superior to a great sounding DAC like my Wyred4Sound DAC1? Is it really 4 to 15 times better sound quality or is it a combination of very slight sonic differences coupled with hype and market segmentation?

Not having the advantage of access to demo units of high-end boxes, I have to rely upon what I read for the most part to try to determine which products I'd like but I have to say, I've been so impressed with the clarity and musicality of the W4S that it is hard for me to imagine a DAC that could be so much better as to make mine sound like an inferior product. I welcome any and all thoughts on the subject (but please don't flame me for calling the value of any specific gear into question).

You make a very valid point. I think audiophiles tend to exacerbate small differences.

I guess it would be interesting if Cris makes a review of Wyred4Sound DAC1, comparing it with the great dac's that he has for comparison...

Chris,

I'm debating back and forth between this unit and the Berkeley Alpha 2. Any thoughts?

Also, how is the volume control on this unit vs the BADA?

+1

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

I found using the PWD II over wired ethernet through the bridge is better than the USB method (using JRiver). For me it beats

JPLAY over USB. I cant try the I2S as I have no suitable player. I hope you had the PWD volume up high enough during the testing (an easy one to miss but important).

Has anyone compared Amarra and Audirvana Plus on the Perfectwave DAC II? I did some comparisons and found that Audirvana has better clarity, more details, and overall cleaner sound, but Amarra has that seductive "analog" sound. I have licenses for both and been switching back and forth between the two software, but still having trouble deciding which one is "better." I noticed that in the review, Chris used Audirvana Plus. Anyone know why he chose Audirvana?

On my previous DAC, T+A DAC 8, Audirvana was too clean and analytical so I ended up using Amarra (easy choice there). But with the PWD, Audirvana does not sound analytical.

I'm really looking forward to the arrival of the PWD MKII w/bridge at my house. Got the wired network al laid out, so I'm ready to stream some hi-rez files.

Digital: QNAP TVS-871 > Sonore ultraRendu > Modwright Oppo 205

Analog: VPI Prime w/Kiseki Purpleheart > Zesto Audio Andros 1.2

Amp & Speakers: Modified Line Magnetic 518ia > Daedalus Audio Argos v.2

Backbone: PS Audio P5, Wireworld Silver Electra 7 powercords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 interconnects, Steve Blinn Designs Audio Rack

• 2 weeks later...

I got the DAC and bridge going with JRiver, and using the JRiver iPad app as the controller. My computer and NAS were already set to a static IP, so I just configured the bridge to a static IP as well.

Initial impressions are great. The Perfectwave sounds good right out of the box, and I'm sure the DAC and bridge will really open up with about 300 to 400 hours on them. I will do a shootout between my Perfectwave and Modwright Oppo 83SE, once the DAC has a proper chances to burn in. The bridge is a great device, and adds a level of playback freedom that I haven't experience previously. It's really amazing to have ones entire digital music collection at their fingertips while sitting in the listening sweet spot. I will post more impressions as the DAC and bridge get more hours on them.

Digital: QNAP TVS-871 > Sonore ultraRendu > Modwright Oppo 205

Analog: VPI Prime w/Kiseki Purpleheart > Zesto Audio Andros 1.2

Amp & Speakers: Modified Line Magnetic 518ia > Daedalus Audio Argos v.2

Backbone: PS Audio P5, Wireworld Silver Electra 7 powercords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 interconnects, Steve Blinn Designs Audio Rack

• 1 month later...

Sounds like the "lens" is marketing talk for dejitter, like having a built in Audiphilleo device.

Regards,[br]Rob McCance[br]Audiophile, Engineer for Cadence Design Systems, and Founder of Atlanta Real Estate Info[br]Mac Mini w/ Pure Music+iTunes>>Audiophilleo2>>Metrum Octave>>Passive Attenuator>>GFA555II>>JBL6332