IGNORED

How is your main system setup?

Audio_ELF

How would you describe your system's setup  

333 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With reference to DigiPete's previous thread...

I can't force you two, but each pair of answers should be considered an either or situation...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I should apologise to DigiPete too for usurping his thread/poll - I was actually playing to see how you could do such a poll and I ended up posting and couldn't delete it.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I should apologise to DigiPete too for usurping his thread/poll - I was actually playing to see how you could do such a poll and I ended up posting and couldn't delete it.

Eloise

There's a Presupposition of note to note: The meaning of your communication is the response you get, regardless of one's intention. DigiPete's Poll doesn't define him. We get him. And, finally, a poll that I can understand and respond to without feeling conflicted afterwards. After voting in Eloise's Poll, I suspect now I can sleep at night. Thank you for providing access to closure (at least in my case).

DigitPete, no offense intended. Eloise, well done.

Best,

Richard

Same here, I looked at and just couldn't fit a close answer into the other poll.

I did do so with yours.

Not quite sure what you are hoping to find out here.

In my case, I part time use an all in one unit. A Tact Room correcting all digital unit right out to the output stage. Nothing is analog until you hit the outputs. So computer source digitally feeding Tact and speakers.

I still think, slow though coming, the future of high performance is active speakers with an amp for every driver (maybe or maybe not built into the enclosure) with digital crossovers and room correction. I think the crossovers and room correction should be done at a level about equivalent to a pre-amp these days. Look to one day perhaps buy speakers which consist of drivers, enclosures and specs for cross-over duties to be handled by other equipment. Along with choices of cross-overs for different rooms or musical tastes.

Looking at my past ideas about where things are going, you could probably read the above and count on that description being what isn't going to happen. ;)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

No worries, Eloise

I made a mess of my poll, should have thought it better through before posting.

Your poll is very clear, but I actually wanted to see all the permutations.

Peter

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

I've no idea what I'm hoping to find out... the truth, as they say, is out there...

Anyway I've realised I should have put an extra option in the quiz - I also use a separate powered sub woofer...

Eloise

---

I've no idea what I'm hoping to find out... the truth, as they say, is out there...

Anyway I've realised I should have put an extra option in the quiz - I also use a separate powered sub woofer...

I use two separate powered subwoofers which I decided for your purposes was insinuated in amplifiers separate (sort of, maybe).

Best,

Richard

I still think, slow though coming, the future of high performance is active speakers with an amp for every driver (maybe or maybe not built into the enclosure) with digital crossovers and room correction. I think the crossovers and room correction should be done at a level about equivalent to a pre-amp these days. Look to one day perhaps buy speakers which consist of drivers, enclosures and specs for cross-over duties to be handled by other equipment. Along with choices of cross-overs for different rooms or musical tastes...

I definitely agree with you here. I find it odd that Naim and other companies tried to go multi-amp active in the past (70's i think) but the concept was mainly unable to gain traction

Foobar/Squeezebox Duet ->USB,SPDIF/RCA ->Benchmark DAC1 HDR ->Orion ASP ->ATI 6012 ->Linkwitzlab Orion

I definitely agree with you here. I find it odd that Naim and other companies tried to go multi-amp active in the past (70's i think) but the concept was mainly unable to gain traction

Naim and Linn still sell crossovers and use multiple amplifiers for their speakers.

Interestingly PMC (who sell both passive and active speakers) say that until you get to high end that the costs outweigh the benefits. I guess they mean one higher end amplifier through a passive crossover beats active crossover and 2/3 lower amplifiers.

Eloise

---

. . . I guess they mean one higher end amplifier through a passive crossover beats active crossover and 2/3 lower amplifiers.

Strange conclusion if I read you right, as it is not so much the number of amps that costs, it's the sum of amp power.

Assuming constant quality.

So are you saying that the extra cost of dividing the amp components into three piles and integrating them into the speaker cabinet outweighs:

- The extra cabinet

- The extra knobs and connectors

- The extra interconnects

- The extra loss in the passive X-over

- And the extra noise and coloration

- The extra risk of amp not fitting the complex passive X-over and drivers combination.

Does anybody really think that audiophiles get better systems from combining arbitrary boxes and component from reviews and combined listening sessions in bad hotel rooms and store back offices than;

Educated teams with perfect conditions and measurement equipment and tailored components at manufacturers?

Perhaps I just read you wrong.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”