IGNORED

Article: EMM Labs DAC2X Review

Remember folks, Chris' current system is made up of TAD speakers and Spectral analog components. I think it is fair to say that he has a very transparent reference (and no need to spend more $ on these parts of his system to achieve better performance, different, perhaps, but not "better")-so it makes sense that he would be ready to to find the "perfect" DAC, and to evaluate DACs for "perfection". How to spend money to improve ones system is a good question, and spending more on other components than the DAC often makes sense, but considering Chris' references, I would think not-ones own situation may vary.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Hi Chris. Thanks for your wonderful website and all the effort that goes into it. Could you please elaborate on your use of a pre-amp during the test? Some dacs work well without a pre-amp and some prefer this piece of electronics in the chain. For instance the Alpha Dac works better in my opinion without a pre. How would the Alpha Dac without a pre compare to a DAC2X with pre? Did you prefer the DAC2X with or without a pre? Obviously the added cost of a top notch pre and extra cables then arises and additionally no electronics (if it doesn't compromise gain, spatiality, etc) is always better than some particular electronics in terms of loss of resolution. Could you comment?

Remember folks, Chris' current system is made up of TAD speakers and Spectral analog components. I think it is fair to say that he has a very transparent reference (and no need to spend more $ on these parts of his system to achieve better performance, different, perhaps, but not "better")-so it makes sense that he would be ready to to find the "perfect" DAC, and to evaluate DACs for "perfection". How to spend money to improve ones system is a good question, and spending more on other components than the DAC often makes sense, but considering Chris' references, I would think not-ones own situation may vary.

Well said barrows.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Well said barrows.

+1

Totally agree!

PS Audio BHK 300 Signature Mono Amplifiers, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Pass Labs XA60.8 monos, Accuphase A-36, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Jolida Fusion 3502, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, Nord One UP NC500MB monos, Lumin S1, Carver VTA20S, Manley Steelhead, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8.

I think it bears reminding that the room itself and how/where the speakers are placed within it relative to the listener have a large impact on the accuracy/transparency of one's system, arguably larger than most component changes. Chris, have you measured your system's frequency response and if so, would you post it? Also, I was curious if anywhere on this site it your disclose the commercial terms under which you purchase equipment you've reviewed? Thanks.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

Barrows, I think it bears mentioning that the room itself, and how/where the speakers are placed within it relative to the listener has as large, or arguable a larger impact on sound quality than many/most component changes, especially if speakers have less than optimal off-axis frequency response. Chris, have you measured your system's frequency response at the listener location? Just curious. Thanks.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

Barrows, I think it bears mentioning that the room itself, and how/where the speakers are placed within it relative to the listener has as large, or arguable a larger impact on sound quality than many/most component changes, especially if speakers have less than optimal off-axis frequency response. Chris, have you measured your system's frequency response at the listener location? Just curious. Thanks.

I haven't measured my room yet but I did have my room setup by very knowledgable colleagues in the industry. Fortunately the room stays the same and the analog components stay the same when I review DACs.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

... Also, I was curious if anywhere on this site it your disclose the commercial terms under which you purchase equipment you've reviewed? Thanks.

Hi earflappin - The only component I've purchased that I've reviewed is the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC. I plan to purchase the Alpha USB shortly. My Spectral system and TAD speakers were purchased as my own components not for review. I would love to purchase the DAC2X but I'm in the same situation most other readers, I don't have the money.

The terms of my purchases are not public and also not the subject of this review.

I was curious if anywhere on this site it your disclose the commercial terms under which you purchase equipment you've reviewed? Thanks.

It’s well known that there’s a big conflict of interest problem with equipment reviewers on blogs in general and high end in particular. In traditional publishing, there’s a strict separation between publishing (i.e. running the business and selling ads) and editorial (news reporting, opinions and reviews). That certainly doesn’t seem to apply to most blogs. Newspapers insist on strict rules for equipment reviewers (you can check the New York Times website for such an set of rules). It seems High End reviewers both on blogs and in publications don’t seem to follow any sort of rules. I also recall that in the end of 2009, the FTC approved guidelines for equipment reviewers on blogs that required full disclosure of financial arrangements.

It’s well known that there’s a big conflict of interest problem with equipment reviewers on blogs in general and high end in particular. In traditional publishing, there’s a strict separation between publishing (i.e. running the business and selling ads) and editorial (news reporting, opinions and reviews). That certainly doesn’t seem to apply to most blogs. Newspapers insist on strict rules for equipment reviewers (you can check the New York Times website for such an set of rules). It seems High End reviewers both on blogs and in publications don’t seem to follow any sort of rules. I also recall that in the end of 2009, the FTC approved guidelines for equipment reviewers on blogs that required full disclosure of financial arrangements.

HMMM! 3 posts and this. Do you have anything to add to the topic at hand? There is no conflict of interest in Chris' case, industry accommodations are similar for all manufacturers, as he has noted, he purchases the products used in his system. He would get a similar arrangement for the purchase price of any piece of gear he purchases, so you can rest assured that if he purchases something, he does so because of its sound and value for the money. He has no reason to show any favoritism to gear from any manufacturer.

He does not get paid to review components by any manufacturer, and, I do not even recall seeing any EMMlabs adverts on this site.

The only thing that is "well known" is that some readers perceive a conflict of interest where none usually exists.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Nice review Chris, there's always something missing...!

Given the the transparency and resolution of this system with the DAC2X, this would have been an ideal opportunity for another test in the background.

The amps, speakers, DAC, cabling, room were all the same, the choice of media player is listed as a wide choice and would certainly influence decisions and judgements. So, which one was the go to player in this system?

Would this be subject of another post in the future?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Great review Chris, exciting new product that I am sure many will have added to their shortlists.

At this level there is so much competition (computer audio relevant with asynch USB) from the likes of dCS, Wadia, Esoteric, Weiss, MSB, Playback Designs, etc, I am sure any of these products when reviewed in isolation will sound absolutely superb. The question becomes how they stack up against each other- are they all on par in terms of SQ each with slightly different emphasis? Do they all start to converge in sound as going up the quality ladder typically results in greater levels of neutrality and transparency? Do feature sets start to set the products apart (i.e. DSD, volume control, power amp driving ability)?

Unfortunately making well informed and considered purchasing decisions is difficult as it is near impossible to arrange in home auditions of several units at the same time from different manufacturers.

Since Chris was so moved, I wonder, why compare? I know it's heresy, but I'm getting to the point where I just want to enjoy my system. It moves me. I'm sure there are other amps and pre-amps and speakers, but what I hear from my system relaxes me and involves me, sometimes amazes me. Would NOS tubes sound better? How about different cables? Maybe. Maybe. More time running around, less time listening when I have so little time to relax. Just a thought. Chris, I'm happy for you. Enjoy the music.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

Chris, thank you for the review. You mention that the DAC2X's USB input is not galvanically isolated and that "users requiring isolation can use products like the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB". Did you have a chance to compare the direct USB input with the S/PDIF output from the Berkeley Alpha USB? I own the EMM Labs XDS1 (which has similar technology to the DAC2X, minus the USB input) and the Berkeley Alpha USB, and so I am very interested in the comparison.

Chris, thank you for the review. You mention that the DAC2X's USB input is not galvanically isolated and that "users requiring isolation can use products like the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB". Did you have a chance to compare the direct USB input with the S/PDIF output from the Berkeley Alpha USB? I own the EMM Labs XDS1 (which has similar technology to the DAC2X, minus the USB input) and the Berkeley Alpha USB, and so I am very interested in the comparison.

Chris has mentioned that he used a CAPS with an SOtM USB output board to good effect with the Meitner DAC, I would expect he achieved similar results with the EMM. I use a non-isolated USB interface with my DAC, and get exceptional sound also using an SOtM USB output board in my server. There are drawbacks to currently available USB isolation approaches: they add jitter, so they may do more harm than good, depending on how much noise is coming over on the USB lines. I suspect there is a good reason EMM/Meitner and dCS do not use isolators on their USB inputs...

As for the Alpha USB, sure, if you have a DAC with only SPDIF input the Alpha USB is always going to be an excellent solution.

SONORE computer audio

Chris has mentioned that he used a CAPS with an SOtM USB output board to good effect with the Meitner DAC, I would expect he achieved similar results with the EMM. I use a non-isolated USB interface with my DAC, and get exceptional sound also using an SOtM USB output board in my server. There are drawbacks to currently available USB isolation approaches: they add jitter, so they may do more harm than good, depending on how much noise is coming over on the USB lines. I suspect there is a good reason EMM/Meitner and dCS do not use isolators on their USB inputs...

As for the Alpha USB, sure, if you have a DAC with only SPDIF input the Alpha USB is always going to be an excellent solution.

I understand in the abstract the pro's and con's of using an external USB/SPDIF converter. My question was about how the direct USB input in the DAC2X compares with the SPDIF input from the Alpha USB.

well, at least I think this speaks to the sound quality of the USB input:

"I used the USB 90% of the time and AES the other 10%."

i assume this was mostly via CAPS/SOtM, right Chris?

SONORE computer audio

Thanks for the great review, Chris!

Did you get a chance to try the Audioengine D2 SPDIF inputs feeding the DAC2X and see if you experienced the same clicking issues I had?

Thanks!

Yeang

Hi seatrope - I'm using the Audioengine D2 right now connecting via TosLink to the DAC2X. I also hear the clicking noise a few times per minute.

Since Chris was so moved, I wonder, why compare? I know it's heresy, but I'm getting to the point where I just want to enjoy my system. It moves me. I'm sure there are other amps and pre-amps and speakers, but what I hear from my system relaxes me and involves me, sometimes amazes me. Would NOS tubes sound better? How about different cables? Maybe. Maybe. More time running around, less time listening when I have so little time to relax. Just a thought. Chris, I'm happy for you. Enjoy the music.

Hi totdoc - Great to hear you enjoy your system and don't feel the need to change anything. It's a great place to be :~)