IGNORED

New Chord QuteHD DSD and 384/32 Capable DAC

This is consistent with what I heard from another user. I'll post their comments, and leave it anonymous unless they wish to chime in:

I have the QX which is a QuteHD in a different case.

The issue of the driver and the blast of white noise is something I too have dealt with.

Chord told me that their specific driver for OS X effectively acts to function in the same manner as the Audirvana Direct Mode, addressing the audio system at a very low level, and apparently giving you the same type of fidelity potential, without being tied to using Audirvana as such.

Still I have written back to them more than once to request that their forthcoming software driver rewrite enables Integer mode by either making the dac NOT require an OS X driver, or by so either software enabled means.

I reiterated the potentially catastrophic result of the full level white noise blast, on both my speakers and ears.... They have acknowledged this and another issue I observed when upsampling.

Apparently they have taken my feedback on board and have responded several times to my detailed emails to inform me amongst other things, that the software is undergoing a COMPLETE re-write.

PLEASE aid the cause and write to them explaining your similar issues and make it clear that they are CRITICAL and in need of resolution ASAP !!!

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

I had the M2tech Hiface Evo spdif converter and it gave out the blast of white noise too with A+. But only sometimes and only when a higher than 24/44 file playback was interrupted by pushing Stop. Pausing a track never caused it.

M2tech uses their own drivers and do not support Integer mode either, but sound great.

I'd suggest muting amp after stopping listening to high-res files in A+.

Say NO to ROON

JRiver MC 19

my setup : Windows7 >QuteHD > prepro> power amp.

Just downloaded JRivers MC19.

There are so many variables on MC19 that user can adjust. Very confusing, for me.

What is the best setup that MC19 users, here, recommend for the best natural sounding output.

Thanks.

KE

JRiver MC 19

my setup : Windows7 >QuteHD > prepro> power amp.

Just downloaded JRivers MC19.

There are so many variables on MC19 that user can adjust. Very confusing, for me.

What is the best setup that MC19 users, here, recommend for the best natural sounding output.

Thanks.

KE

Hi, I'm using kernel streaming, no change in frequenties until 192khz, no up or downmix for stereo, for dsd select DoP. This in audio settings.

just try some small things in the menu's step by step during time.

I cannot hear much difference when using wasapi I confess.

good luck.

Jriver MC

hiface2

QuteHD Kingrex supply

Moon i3.3

Dynaudio Confidence C2

Howdy - a couple of QuteHD questions please. Any amongst you who have purchased the Qute through Rakuten Global Market? The listed price there is $1,237USD, which I would think represents a savings even adding shipping from overseas - I'm in California. Everything on the up & up with this vendor? Also, are any of you experiencing latency issues with the Qute through either the USB or SPDIF inputs? I occasionally use my Mac Mini for streaming Netflix and the like. Had troubles when I tried that with the Metrum Octave (MK I). It was like trying to watch a very badly dubbed film. Thanks much. - Kurt.

MacBook Air > microRendu > Chord Hugo 2 > Fostex TH900 MKII

Also, are any of you experiencing latency issues with the Qute through either the USB or SPDIF inputs? I occasionally use my Mac Mini for streaming Netflix and the like. Had troubles when I tried that with the Metrum Octave (MK I). It was like trying to watch a very badly dubbed film. Thanks much. - Kurt.

I cannot share experiences, but generally S/PDIF inputs should give lower latency than USB. Because S/PDIF is not packet based transport and thus requires less buffer.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks Miska. I've been agonizing a bit in regards to SPDIF vs USB with the QuteHD. There has been "mixed" commentary regarding the relative sound quality of the input options. For me personally, having to invest in the additional conversion gear for SPDIF could be a deal breaker, in light of the limited budget I'm pushing mightily in an effort to manage a substantial upgrade over my current DAC solution, an Underwood/pcX Level-2 modded Nova 125. The Nova 125 processes internet content sans any latency issues, but I'm now rebuilding my main system around "separates" and while the QuteHD is my DAC candidate of choice, having to "flesh out" its performance with SPDIF makes the choice less clear. Anyway, this is the less than reassuring response I received from Chord regarding latency concerns:

Hi Kurt,

There is always an issue when using asynchronous DAC products.

From an audiophile point of view they are ideal because they isolate the

DAC from the noisy and jittery system clock within the computer. The

disadvantage to this is that you then have no synchronisation between

the video content and the audio content. We use a clock extraction

method that keeps the timing as close as possible but there could still

be slight syncing issues with some video content. I believe that

somewhere in the Quick time player on the Mac there is a lip sync option

that will allow you to compensate for any differences.

Best regards,

Matt Bartlett BEng CEng MIEE

Production Manager

Kurt, if you're streaming Netflix and the like from your Mac Mini, where utmost fidelity are not primary concerns, then simply use the built in s/pdif optical output.

No extra hardware required, no latency issue, and it supports Direct & Integer Mode in Audirvana !

To be perfectly honest, although I find the optical output from my Mac Mini not as ultimately resolving as the USB output (incidentally, for which the QuteHD doesn't support Direct/Integer Modes) it sounds pretty darned good, possibly even better than the Underwood/pcX Level-2 modded Nova 125 via coaxial ;-)

Coolhand, thanks for the optical output suggestion. I've actually been in contact with Frederic Beudot at 6moons regarding just such a "work around" he discusses in his review of the Metrum Hex. It seems Audirvana is required to pull this stunt off but I was intending to audition it anyway. The QuteHD has slipped from front-runner to "more affordable" backup position as I've decided if I'm gonna break the bank I may as well take a run at the Auralic Vega. Sound quality issues aside, it's streamlined nature - no iFI USB, outboard PSU's or converters required - REALLY appeals to me. Also no Mac drivers, USB 2.0 compliant, & integer/direct mode friendly.

• 2 weeks later...
The DAC could still dump white noise; but if you were using a pre-amp it would be attenuated to a much lower level.

Please could other people who have had this problem (when using Audirvana and direct USB a burst of white noise) please speak up as afaik this is the first time this problem was reported here...

Eloise

Now that I saw this mentioned here I can also say that I have heard several times white noise at annoyingly high volume being played when the music stopped playing in A+. I didn't look for a cause since this usually happened late at night and I jumped to grab the remote and shut down the pre/power amp at once!

Looking back to this I also remember that high res music was being played and the playlist came to an end before white noise could be heard. It never happened while pressing the pause or stop buttons in A+.

I have a M2Tech Evo USB-SPDIF convertor fed thorough USB from my MacBook, which in turn feeds the Chord DAC through SPDIF.

Please forward the specifics of your occurrences to Damien, [email protected].

I have been discussing this matter with him and Chord, the maker of one of my Dac's.

As yet where the issue is manifesting itself (within Audirvana or manufacturer of dac driver) is not resolved, but the more detailed feedback we can provide Damien the better, he certainly is very responsive and accommodating if he can help resolve end user concerns ;-)

The only consistent pattern I have observed is that none of my Dac's produce these full level blasts of white noise when running PureMusic.... However it is absolutely no competition in regards to sonics or ergonomics when compared to Audirvana.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just forwarding this for anyone considering upgrading to Mavericks. Don't!

------------------------

Gentleman,

Regarding the New Apple - OS X Mavericks:

DO NOT INSTALL!! IT WILL RENDER YOUR
QUTEHD DAC
USLESS!!

Chord is working on their solution right now but I wanted to let you know.

Call me if you have any questions.

Happy listening,

Chad Stelly

Acoustic Sounds, Inc.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Just forwarding this for anyone considering upgrading to Mavericks. Don't!

------------------------

Gentleman,

Regarding the New Apple - OS X Mavericks:

DO NOT INSTALL!! IT WILL RENDER YOUR
QUTEHD DAC
USLESS!!

Chord is working on their solution right now but I wanted to let you know.

Call me if you have any questions.

Happy listening,

Chad Stelly

Acoustic Sounds, Inc.

Yes, got that same email, and Stelly called me too to make sure.

I tell you, I'm both very happy with the Chord DAC, and Absolute Sound was a great place to buy it...excellent service.

Dave, who says it's the USB driver that makes the QuteHD DAC useless not Mavericks per se

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yes, Stelly and Acoustic Sounds are A+!

Yes, got that same email, and Stelly called me too to make sure.

I tell you, I'm both very happy with the Chord DAC, and Absolute Sound was a great place to buy it...excellent service.

Dave, who says it's the USB driver that makes the QuteHD DAC useless not Mavericks per se

I'm new to CA, though I lurk from time to time. I just purchased a QuteHD and an AP2 + PP. Still missing from the equation is a good linear PSU. I know this question was asked in a separate thread, but there was no answer there. Has anyone compared PSUs for the QuteHD? I'm considering, in no particular order, a Pardo, MCRU or King Rex. I know the Hynes is generally considered a notch above, but there are availability/cost issues and I would rather get something now.

I don't have the ability to purchase multiple PSUs (thanks to all who do the heavy lifting around here). I'm guessing there won't be a huge difference between any of the units I mention and I won't go too far wrong, whichever I get. But is there any info on differences between these units that might help point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Cheers,

Mike

• 1 month later...

Interesting review. However, in the discussion with the Chord designer, Rob Watts, there is this quote:

"Oversampling is much misunderstood. The idea, according to Watts, is to increase oversampling as much as possible to re-create the shape of an analog waveform. The more times you oversample, the smoother the waveform becomes. Watts manages to oversample an impressive 2048 times in the QuteHD (a standard high-performance DAC oversamples just 8 times), which produces a smoother waveform with very small steps. A DAC that oversamples just 8 times, for example, creates a waveform with steps that resemble the staircase in your house. The problem with having whopping great steps within your DAC’s waveform is that the sonics are not as smooth-sounding."

As I understand it, assuming there is no high frequency information above half the sampling frequency, sampling theory says that the resulting waveform will be a perfect reproduction of the original, not "steps that resemble the staircase in your house". Over-sampling doesn't change this, and shouldn't make it more "smooth sounding". Is Rob Watts showing a misunderstanding digital theory (seems unlikely) or am I missing something?