IGNORED

New Chord QuteHD DSD and 384/32 Capable DAC

In case anyone is interested, I asked Chord the same question, and their response was as follows:

"The EX upgrade is really only a benefit if you want to listen to 384KHz or DSD128 music. At 192KHz and below the performance will be the same."

In case anyone is interested, I asked Chord the same question, and their response was as follows:

"The EX upgrade is really only a benefit if you want to listen to 384KHz or DSD128 music. At 192KHz and below the performance will be the same."

Chord told my dealer the same. I'm still very happy with the DAC, thus on the fence regarding the upgrade.

I just ordered a black HD for my headphone setup. At first I was going to get the EX since there were claims that it was an overall upgrade but after reading the statement from Chord I decided on the HD. I could not justify the extra $300-$400 for DSD128 and 384kHz playback, features I would most likely never use.

By most accounts on this thread, the Chord Qute HD is an exceptional DAC with PCM and DSD sources, particularly on well-recorded material played from a computer. Yet little has been said how the DAC sounds with lower resolution music from MOG, Spotify or Pandora, or its use with playback devices like Sonos or Squeezebox.

I’m trying to decide whether to replace a perfectly good Teddy Pardo DAC ($1,300) with the Qute HD and want to avoid a costly sideways move. My source is Wyred4Sound modified Sonos and I listen exclusively to MOG or Pandora… for now. Something tells me that streaming lower resolution Internet music on Sonos minimizes differences among Dacs. But I could be wrong.

My first post. Great discussion, BTW.

I'm currently listening to internet radio at 128kbps on my QuteHD and it sounds very good, as it also does with Spotify.

I also have a Teddydac. I think the QuteHD has marginally better sound quality, but the difference is tiny and would be down to personal preference anyway. I would think the move from Teddy to QuteHD would be a sideways move. I had to go to a Bel Canto Dac 3.5 VBSII to get noticeably better sound, which is about three or four times the price of the Teddy.

Can be the Hugo a better DAC than QuteHD (not only used as a headphone amplifier but also in the main system)?

As I mentioned in one of my review responses, I asked Chord that exact question (for the main rig). They wouldn't bite. So I am asking for one to a/b, as a follow up to my review. Hopefully Jay Rein will come through for me (he claims I didn't burn a bridge by keeping it so long :) ).

BTW, I think the reports back about the EX sounding better are likely coming from Mac users who have a newer driver for the EX (which I assume is HD compliant too). Listening via the new integer support has to be a better sonic presentation, right? Chord claims any improvements to DSD64 and 24/192 and under are purely user preferences.

BTW, I think the reports back about the EX sounding better are likely coming from Mac users who have a newer driver for the EX (which I assume is HD compliant too). Listening via the new integer support has to be a better sonic presentation, right? Chord claims any improvements to DSD64 and 24/192 and under are purely user preferences.

Is it possible the new driver would affect the DSD64 playback only?

IMHO,

and as much as it pains me to say this, given that Chord had previously informed me that the differences between the HD & EX were to be solely limited to increasing the supported USB sample rates, I and my better halves ears (!) have found that the sound of DSD64 files, is vastly improved with the EX... very easily discernible and not at all subtle either, all the moreso with DSD128 !

So I am asking for one to a/b, as a follow up to my review. Hopefully Jay Rein will come through for me (he claims I didn't burn a bridge by keeping it so long :) ).
Very well! :)

Now I have the Mytek, the Yulong DA8 and a friend of mine the QUTE HD (I hope to compare...).

I can wait you a/b :D

By most accounts on this thread, the Chord Qute HD is an exceptional DAC with PCM and DSD sources

From the reviews so far, I gather that this can only be said about the Qute EX.

Ted_B, CoolHand, Wisnon... were rather underwhelmed with the handling of DSD64 files by the Qute HD.

As I just said, the Coolhand comments about improved DSD is not exclusively an EX issue IMHO (and supported by Chord engineers), but most likely a newly found integer support issue in Audirvana, brought about by a new OSX driver included with the EX. My theory is that you install that thing for the HD and you have the same OSX performance as the EX (except of course no DSD128 or greater than 24/192). And DSD performance on the HD is not bad at all, just not on the same level as its exemplary PCM, and compared to DSD performance on a $7K Meitner 1 bit machine (I hate being misquoted). I have heard A+'s interger support, and for MAC fans I would assume that alone would improved DSD (since integer support, back when I was a MAC guy, seems to clean up DSD via DoP even more than native PCM).

As I just said, the Coolhand comments about improved DSD is not exclusively an EX issue IMHO (and supported by Chord engineers), but most likely a newly found integer support issue in Audirvana, brought about by a new OSX driver included with the EX. My theory is that you install that thing for the HD and you have the same OSX performance as the EX (except of course no DSD128 or greater than 24/192). And DSD performance on the HD is not bad at all, just not on the same level as its exemplary PCM, and compared to DSD performance on a $7K Meitner 1 bit machine (I hate being misquoted). I have heard A+'s interger support, and for MAC fans I would assume that alone would improved DSD (since integer support, back when I was a MAC guy, seems to clean up DSD via DoP even more than native PCM).

It would be great if any Chord Qute HD user could confirm it. So far the only people reporting the improvement in DSD64 playback are the owners of Qute EX DACs.

I hate being misquoted

How have I misquoted you? In your review you write about that the stock Qute HD:

"My first impressions were not anything to write home (CA) about. DSD file playback seemed a little polite, thin and at times almost too airy, with a slight artificial top end that seemed additive instead of the real byproduct of the recording. The upper treble was not bright, mind you, just artificial sounding, as if it was added post-production. "

Granted, you admit the sound quality of the DAC improves with external, third-party PSU, but the package (Chord DAC + Chord PSU) leaves something to be desired. Such, at least, is my interpretation of your words above.

Hi all,

First post here. Seek for help from those who have already got a linear PSU for their Qute.

The basic plug of my QuteEX is 12V 0.6A, while on Chord website it says 12V 1A. I just not sure which figure is correct. I emailed Chord about this difference, they replied me that it should be 0.6A, but they also said linear PSU is unnecessary since it won't enhance performance.

Many of the reviews in this thread have already proven the effectiveness of linear PSU for Qute. So I just thought it might because Chord doesn't want its users make changes in order to keep lower repairing rate.

A friend of mine who is using QuteHD said his linear PSU is about 2.5A, which is much more greater than both the figure above. His Qute works really hot, but he also believes the performance is fantastic.

So...just wondering, is that with the increase of the current, the performance and temperature will be enhanced together? Because with the 0.6A power plug, my Qute works really not hot, very warm indeed (probably even cooler than that)

For those of you who have got a linear PSU, what are your figures of the current input? Is there a proper and safe current range to choose?

Thanks

Jian

Hi all,

First post here. Seek for help from those who have already got a linear PSU for their Qute.

The basic plug of my QuteEX is 12V 0.6A, while on Chord website it says 12V 1A. I just not sure which figure is correct. I emailed Chord about this difference, they replied me that it should be 0.6A, but they also said linear PSU is unnecessary since it won't enhance performance.

Many of the reviews in this thread have already proven the effectiveness of linear PSU for Qute. So I just thought it might because Chord doesn't want its users make changes in order to keep lower repairing rate.

A friend of mine who is using QuteHD said his linear PSU is about 2.5A, which is much more greater than both the figure above. His Qute works really hot, but he also believes the performance is fantastic.

So...just wondering, is that with the increase of the current, the performance and temperature will be enhanced together? Because with the 0.6A power plug, my Qute works really not hot, very warm indeed (probably even cooler than that)

For those of you who have got a linear PSU, what are your figures of the current input? Is there a proper and safe current range to choose?

Thanks

Jian

I don't think it matters if the current rating of the power supply exceeds what the DAC requires. The temperature should stay the same. The DAC draws what it needs regardless.

I don't think it matters if the current rating of the power supply exceeds what the DAC requires. The temperature should stay the same. The DAC draws what it needs regardless.

Exactly! My well-documented love of the QuetHD and an upgraded linear ps was with the Hynes SR3-12 (aka 12V, 3A). It never warmed up beyond anything normal.

It doesn't surprise me that the manufacturer would state that their supplied brick is sufficient, but I am here to tell you the performance improvement was astounding. Don't not do it. :)

Exactly!

It doesn't surprise me that the manufacturer would state that their supplied brick is sufficient, but I am here to tell you the performance improvement was astounding. Don't not do it. :)

Why would anyone believe anything else the manufacturer says?

Just to let you know,

the local distributor contacted me and the details of the upgrade are the following:

1. cost: 290 euro (including shipping from Greece)

2. length of absence: around 15 days (although he can give me a demo unit in the meantime)

I think 290 euro is marginally too much, but I might do the upgrade if I read more reports about the improvements from the usb input, and of course for psychological reasons, do this and forget anymore about further improvements :)

I will try the new QuteEX driver (Windows) on QuteHD first though, see if this makes any difference.

290 euro sounds better than the USD $525 (including return shipping...Whoopee!) they are charging here in the U.S.

I am going to go ahead and get the upgrade and compare it to my friends Qute HD to see if there is any difference. Will post the results.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I am a new forum member and also new to computer audio, I still use a CD player. I have read a lot of reviews on the Qute HD and was looking for feedback on the EX with a linear power supply. I have an EX but have not broken in it yet and it sounds awesome already. Just wondering if anybody tried a linear power supply with the EX version as the manufacturer has given the same advice to me to just use the one that came with the dac. With the EX version, DSD sounds really good and is not thin, polite or airy as some have experienced with the HD. Did a search for an EX thread and couldn't find one so I apologize if this is in the wrong thread.

My Computer Audio Setup:

Mac Pro Nehalem/Peachtree Audio Nova 125/Totem Rainmakers/Kimber Kable USB

Check my review (now bumped to page 2 of the home page). I have added an addendum at the end of the review, where I chat about my EX. I use a Hynes SR3-12 linear ps to power it (same one I used on the demo HD that the initial review was about). A good 12V ps is a must-have upgrade path for the Chord Qute DACs.

Computer Audiophile - Chord Electronics QuteHD Review