IGNORED

New Chord QuteHD DSD and 384/32 Capable DAC

I have QuteHD for several weeks. QuteHD sounded remarkably good and decent. QuteHD delivers very sharp while not harsh sounding (probably thanks to Pulse Array DAC nature). Easy to setup native DSD playback using DoP. QuteHD accepts wide selection of player software via DoP.

Here is my review on my blog(though Japanese).

QuteHD review and impression

Chord QuteHD review : Music TO GO!

QuteHD native DSD playback setup (HQ player, JRMC17, Audirvana plus, Pure Music and iTunes on Mac)

I use native DSD playback on Mac iTunes with stef's WAV encapsulation tool.

Chord QuteHD native DSD setup : Music TO GO!

QuteHD native DSD playback setup (foobar2k)

QuteHD & Foobar2000 : Music TO GO!

As a relatively new Chordette Gem owner it was bitter sweet to read about this new unit. Whilst I really love the Gem to bits I knew going in that the 16 bit limitation was a compromise, but even with that handicap it was still better than any other DACs I heard even up to three times the price and which were high res upsampling models.

I even emailed Chord prior to purchase to sound them out regarding the 16 bit 48 khz USB limit but they never mentioned a new model was in the works that was true high res.

Well, maybe it wont be in the same price range anyway. I fully stretched the budget just to get the Gem and it looks like they are still keeping the Gem in the range alongside the new one. That would suggest this new model would have been too expensive for me anyway.

Their quote "the world’s first affordable DSD-compatible USB DAC"

Yes, well the Meitner MA1 and Playback designs are about the same price as Chord withing a few hundred $, and a lot simpler interfacing, than dual cabling..! DSD is also native with PD and Meitner out of the box over USB.

Affordable at over USD6000, is a judgement that needs to be made by you, not marketing spin. A Lamborghini is also 'affordable' at 1.5million, that is if you had the reserves of cash to a) buy it, b) to maintain it c) have the patience to wait months for spares. Some consolation in that the car doesn't cost $20 million I suppose!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 3 months later...

From my post on WHF

I've posted my initial thoughts elsewhere, but a quick summary of the Qute

It's simple to set up, beautifully made, but I'd prefer a cheaper case unless it adds to the sonic performance. If it's important to you, then it's a thing of beauty, much more so in the flesh so to speak.

OUt of the box, this thing is smooooth, with a very nice analogue (LP12 ish) treble, with lots of subtle detail. The detail is such that the spatial positioning or focus of the sonic image is clear and precise, adding an air of realism especially to live recordings that haven't been mucked about in the studio, Ry Cooder's Buena Vista Social club is a great example.

The bass is nice and tuneful, and deep. There's a great sense of majesty to recordings where it's in the original mix, but my impression is that oversued cliche that it simply disappears from the chain, it doesn't seem to impart any particular tonality or presentation.

In my system, this means that the combination of the M2 and the D18s is even more sharply matched, and I'm fast coming to the conclusion that these two are as a good a match as the iconic pairing Naim/Isobarik, or NAD 3020/AR18BX.

Bearing in mind it's only a couple of hours old, I'll need to run it in and leave it for a few days and post some updates, but so far I'm impressed.

The only isue I have is a pesky ground loop causing noise from te PC PSU - it's a Sony Viao, and when I spoke to Chord they were a little nonplussed by the problem, I'm the first to report such an interference which ocurs on USB only of course, since optical isolates the PC.

I've set JRMC to WASAPI-Event as advised by Matt at JR, and it sounds as good as the USB connection for 16/44 and 24/96 tracks that I have.

• 1 month later...
I paid $1500 for my Chord QuteHD new in the box, cool purple, from my local dealer. I hardly think that is unaffordable!

See post above:

One and a half,

I think you're confusing the Chord QBD76DSD with the Chord Cordette Qute HD which has an MSRP of £990 so presumably it should cost less than US$2000.

It seems that this unit will only take DSD-over-PCM (DoP), not native DSD. Is this correct?

Can anyone clarify this: Phil Gold's great review (Chord Electronics Chordette QuteHD DAC An aural bounty of Chord's superb digital technology at an affordable price. Review By Phil Gold) of the Chordette QuteHD describes DoP 1.0 as a "bit perfect mechanism whereby the DSD stream is actually wrapped up into a high resolution PCM carrier for transmission over USB. Note that the signal is not being converted to PCM and converted back inside the DAC – PCM just supplies a wrapper which is attached before transmission and discarded upon arrival."

Is this description accurate?

starting my search for a new dac.

not too technically minded in this field, so need some advice.

found these 2 dacs from chord electronics:

"mx series qx dac" and "chordette qutehd"

both are same in price, but cant understand their pro's and con's compared to each other

PC(flac/foobar/wasapi)>Ifi Micro Idsd>Headphone correction filter>Garage 1217, Project Ember/Violectric V200>HD800>Old Git

They are very similar, but the mx does not do DSD, but rather accepts the digital output from the IX streamer, so I guess its part of the streamer range, while the Qute is more a standalone DAC with DSD ability.

Get the Qute, unless you plan to get the whole streamer range in he future.

They are very similar, but the mx does not do DSD, but rather accepts the digital output from the IX streamer, so I guess its part of the streamer range, while the Qute is more a standalone DAC with DSD ability.

Get the Qute, unless you plan to get the whole streamer range in he future.

Wisnon: are you sure about that. The

QX is listed as doing DSD on Chord's website. I though the only difference was just in the case - the new MX series having new style case over the Chordette series.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Elf,

You are at least partially correct. It DOES do DSD, my bad, but it seems it uses the chordette casework (based on the picture here):

Products: MX Series QX DAC

Chordette range page here: Hi-Fi and Home Audio, music systems, components, home cinema

MX Series QX DAC

The advanced QX DAC is based on our highly acclaimed QuteHD and is capable of playing DSD and 192kHz files over USB. The FPGA (field programmable gate array) device can also accept the digital BNC output from the IX streamer. A range of luxurious finish options is available, including black, silver and high-quality gold.

QX DAC

• Harmonic distortion: 103 dBV

• Signal-to-noise ratio: 115dBV

• Dynamic range: 118dBV

• Digital inputs:

• 1 x USB HD with DSD decoding, 44.1 kHz to 192kHz, 16-32-bit (future 384kHz-ready)

• 1x Optical

• 1x Coaxial 44.1 kHz/ 384kHz-ready, 16-32-bit

• Outputs: 2x RCA phono

• Power supply: 12v 1A 2.1mm connector. Centre point positive 100V- 240V – 50/60Hz, 1A wall adapter supplied

• Weight: 0.4kg

• Dimensions: 160x70x40mm (WxHxD)

I thought the MX range was a slightly different case style - more squared off than the original Chordette - I've not actually seen them side by side so not sure. I think the Chord press release described it as "new squares off casework".

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Yeah, it is a bit confusing. However it seems to be the Qute enabled for streaming.

That seems about it as far as differences go, it seems to me that the MX is aimed at a 'fashion' conscious market more than the Qute. I am biased as I am a Qute owner, but my recommendation is to go with the Qute unless the styling of the MX is a factor or if the streming is required.

Yeah, it is a bit confusing. However it seems to be the Qute enabled for streaming.

As far as "enabled for streaming" is concerned: as far as I can tell they are just saying the IX (and Index) have SPDIF digital output and the QX (like the Qute HD) has a digital input.

Eloise

Eloise

---

That seems about it as far as differences go, it seems to me that the MX is aimed at a 'fashion' conscious market more than the Qute. I am biased as I am a Qute owner, but my recommendation is to go with the Qute unless the styling of the MX is a factor or if the streming is required.

Any more insight you can share about the Qute...

I dont think the Qute can accept the digital output of the streamer....

Sorry: can you explain why (you think) a DAC with an SPDIF input can't accept the SPDIF output from the streamer?

Eloise

---

I think it's probably just the copy for the Qute was written before the Index was available and no one thought to change it.

Eloise

Eloise

---

I think it's probably just the copy for the Qute was written before the Index was available and no one thought to change it.

Eloise

From their news release:

News: New four-strong MX Series launches!

and what they've said on Facebook, etc., these are just the existing Chordette series with gold-finish, squared off external cases. I don't believe any of them have additional capabilities over their Chordette counterparts.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system