IGNORED

KEF LS 50 mini-monitors

I'm looking for a near/mid-field speaker for a small room. This is a new speaker with some interesting design innovations. My sense is that it was well received in Europe after the Munich show, but there aren't any real reviews out there yet. Does anyone have any information or experience with this thing? My choices so far are the PSB Imagine Mini, the Spendor SA-1, and the Totem Dreamcatcher (I know, quite the cost spread). Anyway, the KEFs are right in the middle as far as price point ($1500) and sound very intriguing. Thanks in advance for any feedback...

I am not trying to be critical or sarcastic in asking this but since you have apparently not seen or heard these yourself and you have said there are no reviews from where does your 'sense' that they are well received in Europe come from?

To me if you haven't heard them, seen them, read several reviews from trusted and known sources then I move on to speakers where I can at least check off one of those things as a minimum.

Good luck.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I am not trying to be critical or sarcastic in asking this but since you have apparently not seen or heard these yourself and you have said there are no reviews from where does your 'sense' that they are well received in Europe come from?

To me if you haven't heard them, seen them, read several reviews from trusted and known sources then I move on to speakers where I can at least check off one of those things as a minimum.

Good luck.

I can't remember how I stumbled onto it, but there were several references to the new LS-50 mini-monitors on some audio blogs, with mentions of the fact that several British publications were referring to them as a "Best of Show" type product at the Munich expo. One reviewer was quoted as saying that as soon as he got home, he was ordering a pair online. Just a few references like these - nothing substantive, but enough to peak my interest (since I'm in the market for a speaker in that size range). I expect to see some REAL reviews within the next month or two, as it seems to be the kind of product that will attract some attention. I was only asking if anyone reading these threads had any advanced knowledge of them, or had actually heard them in the flesh. There are some promotional videos about the speaker on YouTube (as another poster mentioned with a link), and on the KEF website. Nothing yet from a third party.

One thing that stands out is the dip at 3.2 Ohms, your amplifier would need to able to deliver the current. No curves as yet available, so can't determine the frequency where this occurs. Prolly down the bottom somewhere. At 85dbspl efficiency, a below 100W amp would struggle.

The June 1 release is also destined for our area as well. List prices are low $2k, stands are extra. As soon as my dealer has them in, I will listen. They will either replace the ref 3, or add on my desk for near field, they are a great size for that.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I am very interested to see some comparisons of the KEF LS50 to the Magnapan Mini desktop system. The Mini has been touted in many reviews as a very high quality near field desktop system. I don't think the Mini will work for me today since my desk is against a wall and in an alcove (30 " deep x 60" wide). I likely don't have enough space for the Mini's to breath.

However, the LS50 may work better on my desktop (not sure about the space). I am currently using the Audioengine A2 which is OK but nothing I am very excited to listen to. Another option is to place any new speakers behind me near my office couch but then I would have the sound coming from behind my seated desk position. I cannot do this with the Mini due to the placement needs of the DWM woofer.

The Wyred4Sound M-Int is what I would buy to power any new office speaker that I purchase.

If anybody on this forum manages to buy the LS50 please share your observations, specifically for use on a desk.

I have a pair on order & would like to know what amp to partner them with ? An integrated Naim maybe ?

Regards,

Joe Ling

Digital Source : DCS Vivaldi 4 stack + Antelope 10M Reference clock. (APEX in progress)

Analog Source : AVID ACUTUS SP + FR64S + Koetsu Blue Azule + ARC Ref 10 phono

Analog Source : TECHDAS AF3 + FR66S + Koetsu Blue Lace, Groove Master III + Phasemation PP2000, Glanz 10" + DS Audio Grandmaster

Phono : ARC ref 10 + DS Audio Master 1

Amp : Naim Statement

Speakers : Focal Stella Utopia

• 3 weeks later...
I have a pair on order & would like to know what amp to partner them with ? An integrated Naim maybe ?

Regards,

Joe Ling

Was planning on pairing them with a Bel Canto C5i integrated DAC. After reading some, I wonder if the Bel Canto's 60 wpc are enough?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Did anyone get these yet?

I just took delivery last week and have been enjoying them quite a lot. They are powered by Hypex ncore amps and a Modwright Transporter. My system and listening room are in flux, so intense analysis is not possible at this time.

I had high expectations for this speaker and a suspicion that Kef went all out on this design. My expectations have been exceeded and I believe they are a steal at this price. I would feel safe to say that this speaker will out perform any similar speaker this size. My room is small (9x24) but I would add that they are not just nearfield speakers.

They are fast, transparent, and open with excellent imaging.

They are about as clear a window into my system as I've had. I was concerned that they might be bright - not the case!

• 2 weeks later...

£800 in UK

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.