IGNORED

High End Show 2012, Munich, Germany

jtm

I really want to know what the new Raidho 1.1s sound like as well as Nola's new super expensive Concert Grand Reference.

If you guys get a chance could you report your findings.

While I own the Nola Baby Grand's the older (although latest version) and much cheaper version of the Concert Grands I am wondering if Carl has been able to create another boxless wonder. On the Raidho side, the 1.1s represent my type of speaker. If I were starting over and wasn't offered the deal I got on the Baby Grands, that might just be the speaker for me. While not cheap, it is a bargain compared to Magico Q1 and TAD CR1.

Thanks

We shall be there ,just on the Thursday and Friday it is a great show, and remember to visit the 'de-luxe' event held at the Marriott, Berliner Strasse.

Keith.

What exactly is the "de-luxe" event and what or who will be there?

Is there a website which would tell more about what it is?

Thanks,

Joel

• 2 weeks later...
I really want to know what the new Raidho 1.1s sound like as well as Nola's new super expensive Concert Grand Reference.

If you guys get a chance could you report your findings.

Thanks

Priaptor and all- Check out this video of the Nola Grand Reference VI at Munich playing Peggy Lee. Wish i was there!

Tom

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

• 3 weeks later...

I am considering buying some Nola Baby Grands and am looking for well-informed advice. I currently have Avalon Eidolon Diamonds driven with a BAT 600SE amp fed by a Berkeley DAC. I love my Avalons, but I'm ready for bigger speaker/bigger sound. (I also use a BAT tubed preamp for my phono side, but 90% of my listening is through the BAT amp/Berkeley.)

I listened to the Nolas in New York recently and loved the big, beautiful, transparent sound they put out, the great sound stage, effortless play, etc. I was at Lyric where they were being driven by enormous, tubed Audio Research amps.

These may be my last speakers. Can you advise on these, or alternatives I should listen to? So much buzz about Magicos, though I have not heard them. In the 80's I owned some Infinity RS1B's. They were great, but after a few years, reliability became a problem so I moved on. Since then I've owned Watt/Puppys and some original Eidolons driven with Rowland gear. As you can see, this will be a major step for me.

Will I benefit from a better amp - yikes they can be expensive. Will solid state amps be OK? I'd rather not have the heat. Any amp recommendation/sexperience?

My room is 16' 6" wide x 21' deep. Speakers on 16.6' wall. Do you think my room size sufficient for Baby Grands?

Also, I hear about a version II, yet I can find nothing about that. I saw a pair of Version I's as a "demo sale", which is temptation.

Any information/advice you can provide will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Shaq,

I have had my Baby Grands for over a year and have the new Series II since November.

The Series II is a HUGE not small upgrade, so buy the II. I thought the original Baby's were wonderful, but the Series II is really amazing.

Believe it or not, I am usually more of a "monitor type" speaker person, such as a Raidho 1.1 or Nola Micro Grand, the latter is what I originally had before going the Baby Grand route. There are few speakers the Baby's size that are capable of reproducing the best of a two way monitor, yet give the full dynamics of a large speaker. In fact, I would venture to say, the Baby's are the best speaker of this distinction bar none. I am not saying there aren't better speakers (I prefer the Babys but everyone has their own preference) but none better at doing what I just describe. So in answer to your room question, your room size is perfect. I have a larger room than you, but have used sound treatment to actually make my listening environment smaller and more intimate and recreate a "near field" environment which, to my ears, is the best I have ever heard the Babys sound.

The Babys are probably the easiest speaker to set up of any speaker in it's price and size, bar none. The only thing that will matter is room interaction to some degree, but there is a HUGE sweet spot, incredible transparency and the speaker absolutely disappears. Your only concern will be to be able to move the rear of the speaker at least 3 feet from the rear wall in order to tune the bass. After that, just plop em down and listen. Fine tune by moving your chair and when you "think" you have the dimensions right, move the speakers. Since the speakers have a base with spikes and the speaker sits on the base, moving is not so easy. Get those "furniture movers" sliders, put them under each spike which will allow you to move the speakers fairly easily. Then just tilt the speaker slightly and remove the slider.

I have tried different amps and while you may not want tubes in your home, the way to go is the ARC gear. I am currently using a REF 5 SE with ARC REF 250s and from the first minute I got the REF 250s it was obvious how special these amps are.

Just a quick side about both companies. Carl from Nola is a fantastic person. I hadn't had my Series I for more than 6 months when the Series II came out. I was somewhat peeved and he, through my dealer, made me an absolute remarkable deal to take back my "old" Series I and exchange them for the Series II. Not a field upgrade but a BRAND SPANKIN NEW SET OF SET OF 60K SPEAKERS!! Now there is a someone standing behind his product. As I said, if you think the demo you heard is transparent, you MUST hear the Series II.

As to ARC, I had an issue with left amp. I initially thought it was a tube, however, they over the phone felt is was a problem with the board. The picked up the amp, at their charge and fixed it in less than a week. OH and by the way, since I had the REF 5 preamp, they figured while I was "down" they would upgrade my preamp to the new amazing REF 5 SE at the same time, even though they it wasn't my turn yet.

I would highly recommend the speakers, the SERIES II, especially since these are your "last" speakers and would very highly recommend you consider the REF 250s or even the Stereo REF 150.

Feel free to contact me if you have more questions. I am a big believer in the speaker.