IGNORED

Article: Welcome to Computer Audiophile 3.0

Now that CA runs on super flexible software it's much easier for me to implement a buy/sell forum without worrying too much about SPAM etc... I can make it mandatory that the user has at least X number of posts etc...

In my humble opinion, if you do that, you would not only make me a happy guy, you could probably put Audiogon out of business. :)

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Maybe a limit should be put on the length of signature allowed?

If members want to write an essay on their system they can lodge it elsewhere. My eyes don't need to scan it every post!

Brian

Squeezebox Classic - Beresford Caiman-Gator DAC - Quad 520f with Dada refresh - Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

Hi Chris C,

I won't mention that I too like the nice new look, but I will mention that the Help link in General Settings > Thread Display Mode: is not working.

-Chris

Got it. Thanks. I removed a bunch of FAQs that come standard and never thought it would matter. I guess there are hidden links to those FAQs :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, Thank you for considering a buy/sell section. I appreciate your expressed criteria for what is essential for viability and what must be in place to make it feasible for CA to implement what one poster (below) on this thread has already confirmed would be an advantage to us all. It just keeps on getting better.

I believe CA will (is) grow(ing) in readership and membership geometrically as computer audio's time has come and is gaining momentum with all its possibilities, facets, advances and appeal. Glad to be a part of this synergy as a member and contributor in the ways I am able.

Good fortune for us all,

Richard

Because I am old, I like the 'old' version better - (:

I hate change, but I will get used to it.

Frank Mercurio[br]Brisbane, Australia[br]Bel Canto S300IU | 2009 Mac Mini | 750g miniStack | Audio Physic Yara | Blue Circle Thingee DAC | Bryston Speaker Switch | ERA Design D4 | Signal Cable Speaker wire | Belkin Pro USB cable | iTunes | Play (FLAC) | iPhone w/ Remote App

Frank, as someone who is decades younger in mindset than in actual age, I can appreciate your response to change as it can be unsettling. In my experience, admitting that something is uncomfortable opens doors for what is essentially different from safe and predictable; and then suddenly amnesia sets in and the new is better than what? Wasn't it this way after all because it's better, easier, and what I had hoped for. Change is in the service of truth, and truth changes faster than lightning when the Light shines brightly to expose what we wanted all along. I hate change too, and am thankful every time it presents itself.

My perspective, mostly. If it works for you all the better.

Best,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
...Now that CA runs on super flexible software it's much easier for me to implement a buy/sell forum...

I've been an avid CA visitor for the past 2+ years, but never took the time to sign up (not the big social media type). However, when I read this from Chris, I joined instantly. Chris, with your skills, knowledge, and dedication to the site, I'm sure that a buy/sell category would be a huge success. Save us from the debacle that is the "new" Audiogon. I actually, reluctantly, chose to list my unused Bel Canto on Ebay, despite being an Agon member (100% feedback) since 06.

Cant' wait to see what's in store for the future of CA.

The site update announcement made me nervous, but it turned out great!

A great site! I've learned a lot here.

I've been an avid CA visitor for the past 2+ years, but never took the time to sign up (not the big social media type). However, when I read this from Chris, I joined instantly. Chris, with your skills, knowledge, and dedication to the site, I'm sure that a buy/sell category would be a huge success. Save us from the debacle that is the "new" Audiogon. I actually, reluctantly, chose to list my unused Bel Canto on Ebay, despite being an Agon member (100% feedback) since 06.

Cant' wait to see what's in store for the future of CA.

The site update announcement made me nervous, but it turned out great!

A great site! I've learned a lot here.

Thanks chg. Your comments come at a much needed time. The emails I've received lately from people unhappy with the upgrade are less than enjoyable to read.

By the way, two things I am working on to make CA 3.0 better are:

1. Clearing the old URLs out of the Google search results. This isn't easy.

2. Improving the standard search results when using the CA site search feature. The advanced search feature works well, but a simple search using the box in the upper right corner delivers far too many unrelated results.

Again, thanks for the kind words and I'm continually working on making CA better.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, with your skills, knowledge, and dedication to the site, I'm sure that a buy/sell category would be a huge success. Save us from the debacle that is the "new" Audiogon. I actually, reluctantly, chose to list my unused Bel Canto on Ebay, despite being an Agon member (100% feedback) since 06.

Hey Chg,

Would you mind telling me (and possibly others who are interested) what makes Audiogon such a debacle now? I've sold a few things over there in the past and I haven't gotten a real good feel from their new site and the new owners, but I've not spent much time there recently. I would greatly appreciate it, as it might help me and others avoid some possible issues.

On the other hand, if you don't feel comfortable doing this publicly (on the forum) perhaps you could pm me.

-Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris.

One thing I've learned on the internet, is that it's impossible to make everyone happy. There will always be complaints. This is demonstrated perfectly when in Youtube land. I recently saw a video of a 5 year old kid playing drums to NIN and Rush songs and it was unbelievable! 5 years old! And people are clicking the dislike button. So, just focus on the positive. Considering the difficulties with changing an entire site, I would say it's turning out great and I'm sure with a little time will be flawless. Keep up the good work!

BTW, one minor issue worth mentioning, is that when I tried to post CA 3.0 (in previous post title), the capital A posted as a small a. Editing didn't change the result.

Good luck!

Hi Chris (crisnee),

Looks like Chris C. beat me to it. But, also, just Google Audiogon, Audiogon sucks, or visit Audiogon's Facebook page and you will see that there many very unhappy users'. In fact, I doubt you will find one happy member since the change. Instead of getting into specifics (too many to list) and details, that I'm just not sure about, it's best just to read what's being said online. My opinion, is that it's just not the great site that it once was and I don't feel comfortable using it.

Hope this helps!

Also, I should mention, I have not sold anything there since the changes; so no report of anything bad happening.

Hi Chris (crisnee),

Looks like Chris C. beat me to it. But, also, just Google Audiogon, Audiogon sucks, or visit Audiogon's Facebook page and you will see that there many very unhappy users'. In fact, I doubt you will find one happy member since the change. Instead of getting into specifics (too many to list) and details, that I'm just not sure about, it's best just to read what's being said online. My opinion, is that it's just not the great site that it once was and I don't feel comfortable using it.

Also, I should mention, I have not sold anything there since the changes; so no report of anything bad happening.

Thanks Chris C., Chg,

Just so that folks here know; it's not all bad. I did sell one item and buy one item since the redesign and the new owners took over. Things didn't go as smoothly as before, and I ran into a few annoying glitches, but the actual sale and purchase went smoothly.

-Chris

Hello Chris. I've been using the new site for a while and it seems to me there is less variety of information available on a given page. At least that's my impression. One of the things I like about web pages in general is a large number of links to a variety of topics. This allows for numerous choices from the home page rather than having to select links that don't tell you what the end content is e.g. " pg 2 " I have the impression that the old format had more links on the home page especially to topics that had been discussed previously. In any event keep up the good work. I enjoy the site very much.

Guy

Hi avta - Thanks for providing your impression of the new site. I believe there are many more links to information and topics on the new site than ever existed on the old site. Maybe I haven't done a decent job of explaining how to use the site and how it's organized. I think it's time to put together a little article on what I've done :~)

The What's New button on top of every page is an easy way to view what's new. As long as you're logged in it works well.

Clicking on Reviews for example on the home page lists all the reviews. What's more, when viewing reviews or any major section a new category box appears in the lower right for further filtering.

Also at the bottom of every article and forum thread is an area called tags. Here users can tag posts with descriptive words. These words are clickable and perform a search for all content tagged with the same word.

Image of categories

review-cats.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having some issues with the site...

I can't find a way to view my subscribed threads with updates.

When i go to whats new, I don't see a way to just view the new posts since my last visit.

With the mobile app, it always shows all posts as new. It does not seem to remember what I have viewed.