IGNORED

HDtracks banned for non USA

Hi Downrange

I have been purchasing from HD Tracks for several years now from Australia, using Paypal.I am still receiving regular updated from them via email, and my email address ends in .au

They would have to be well aware of these kinds of things.

Perhaps the R.I.A.A. which seems to think that it is an arm of the U.S.A. government is exerting pressure on HD Tracks ?

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Agree no-one has actually said that they tried to download via Paypal and were blocked although the implication is that they are. Can someone confirm they have tried and been blocked. I would try but tellingly haven't seen something new I want for sometime.

There are threads on other audio forums also discussing that some or all of HDTracks is blocked outside USA.

The blocking is done by looking at IP addresses.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Yeah, I know it depends on your IP address, but there was a similar thread a few months ago that mistakenly made the same claim - turned out it was only for a few specific albums. Just wanted someone to clarify that it is now impossible to buy any album without hiding your IP ...

I've downloaded a number of hirez albums from HDTracks in the past and paid by PayPal at checkout - no issues whatsoever. But I've just tried now and when I press the PayPal button at checkout, I get a 'website cannot be found' message on my browser.

So it seems to be true, for my UK IP address at least. It's not a big deal for me though as I decided to boycott HDTracks a while ago once the 'upsampled' fiasco came to light.

HTH.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

I'm in the UK. I was going to try it myself, just to see if it was true, and now I don't have to. It might have worked, and as I don't particularly want anything at the moment, I would have wasted my money.

Like you, I would not touch HD Tracks anyway. Not even with a disinfected bargepole. Noticeable that the guy who owns it does not answer any of these 'upsampling' questions. Cowboys usually don't answer questions. It's a sure sign of their 'cowboyness'.

Mark Powell: Your payment method won't make a difference if they are using IP addresses.

I feel the record companies are doing this for our own good. It is well known that music downloaded to an American IP address has a forceful muscular sound, that the typical IP address from a UK ISP just can't match.

I personally use a Spanish IP address and enjoy the sweet musical sound of downloads that I've obtained with it. Sadly, I can't download anything much here in Spain.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Thanks Richard... You've cheered my day up!

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Used Paypal. Not in North America. So they aren't tracking IPs

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

It appears the geographic limitation is related to certain albums, artists or labels if your IP is detected as outside certain territories.

For example using a UK IP and searching within HD Tracks website on the artist "Stevie Wonder" indicates there are no albums available. Using a US IP and performing the same search brings up the Innervisions 96/24 album. This is before any attempt to purchase is made.

If you link to HDtracks via a search engine for the above title it will show up using a UK IP. However if you attempt to add to basket the following message appears -

"Based on your territory as determined by your IP address, we are unable to sell you this album due to restrictions imposed on us by the record label.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for shopping at HDtracks!"

It still appears possible to purchase some titles using paypal.

I'm downloading from Israel, which I'm sure they have no license agreements for and I never get any response like the one you did in your search. For any item. Innervisions comes right up for me.

Did you sign up with a UK address in your account? Make another account with a US address. The address doesn't matter, as you never ship anything to yourself.

Then just pay with PayPal.

Or use a proxy server like UltraSurf to browse there. They can't see your real IP if you do.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

IMG_20120222115355.jpg

Eloise

Eloise

---

At the risk of sounding like a paid shill for qobuz, I and a number of others here at CA swear by qobuz.com. They offer an amazing selection of music (including flac, aiff, true hi-res studio masters, 5.1 and even a flac streaming service with unlimited downloads). They have good sales all the time. True, the website is only in French, but come on. Use the automatic version of Google translate. I live in Italy and can purchase freely. They also are very tuned into the geek side with a newsletter devoted to equipment. I'm not sure if you can purchase from outside the EU but they accept paypal and everyone has a French address (wink wink).

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3