IGNORED

HDtracks banned for non USA

When Paul McCartney records an album today, he has the money to finance the production himself and he has the knowhow to keep the ownership (copyright) for himself. Thus he is free to choose the distribution, whether it is a CD sold through Starbucks or a download sold through HD Tracks.

What Paul recorded in the 60s and 70s was financed by a record company. They also financed the distribution. Production and marketing of an album was much more expensive in the past. Also the artists had less (no) money themselves and they had no understanding of the music business. Sly managers and record executives made the artists sign tricky contracts leaving only peanuts for the artist, even when the records sold in millions.

Since most of our cherished music is old recordings, the old contractual paragraphs apply too. And they vary a lot, from artist to artist, and even within an artist’s portfolio. Rolling Stones recordings up till Beggars Banquet belongs to ABKCO. From Sticky Fingers and on, the rights are handled by their own company, Rolling Stones Records. Thus the reissue program of old Stones records is different than the latter ones. (If anything, Allen Klein’s heirs have been very active in the SACD and hi-rez market, while the Stones themselves prefer to milk the cash cow somewhat slower).

In the 60s-70s it was common practice to sell the copyrights to different companies in different countries and continents. After signing and paying for the rights, the remote distributer received a copy of the mastetape to be pressed on vinyl locally and sold through local distributors.

Today the field has changed a lot. Old record companies have bankrupted or been split and sold. Contractual rights and commercial copyrights are spread all over the globe. One album can have different “owners” in Europe, North America, South America, Japan, Australia, etc. The “problem” now is that downloadable music files through the World Wide Web is, yes, world wide. So, companies like HD Tracks are maneuvering in a labyrinth of legal rights.

In another thread I praised HD Tracks for being a pioneer in hi-rez reissuing of cherished rock/pop classic albums. I believe the juridical side of the job is much bigger than the technical, when David Chesky approaches a new title to be reissued. HDTracks has identified a new niche, proving to the music industry that there is a notable marked for hi-rez issues. Hopefully both the number of titles and attention to sound quality will improve because of it.

Natural born audiophile and music lover with a few thousand classic rock and jazz albums heard through: Dedicated PC > XXHighEnd > Phasure NOS1 DAC > Active preamp > 3-way active XO > 3kW SS amps > DIY linesource speakers (a 200cm ribbon, 12 7" mid drivers and 7 12" bass drivers each channel) > acoustical treated 45m2 listening room. Dedicated mains line, DIY silver/cotton cables, etc etc.

What Paul recorded in the 60s and 70s was financed by a record company. They also financed the distribution. Production and marketing of an album was much more expensive in the past. Also the artists had less (no) money themselves and they had no understanding of the music business. Sly managers and record executives made the artists sign tricky contracts leaving only peanuts for the artist, even when the records sold in millions.

That sounds true to me. So the question is, why doesn't it happen in practice? Artists like McCartney don't do it; "small" artists who can't get a record contract do.

The answer must lie in some economic benefit to an artist to work through a media company. I don't know enough about the business to know what that would be. The only one I can think of is that the big money in the music business today is in concerts and the sale of accompanying merchandise. Possibly an artist like McCartney (who makes about $2 million a night from the big tours, from what I've read) uses the record company to finance the touring, and that makes it worth it for him.

If one of you knows more about this, chime in.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Im based in the Middle East and have been purchasing from HDtracks with a non-US IP for years using my US credit card. Ive never had any problems.

Just to see if my overseas credit card will work, I tried purchasing the recently available Doors album and the transaction went through OK. I did type in my US address as the billing address but that is not the address associated with my overseas CC. I guess as long as you type in a valid US address your purchase will go through.

As for proxy servers, I highly recommend www.witopia.net Some decent folks are running that company.

2011 Mac Mini (Lion) -> Audirvana Plus -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Schiit Bifrost -> Audioquest Diamondback -> Rotel RA-1520 -> Analysis Plus Oval 12/2 -> Klipsch RF-62 II

"If it sounds good, it is good ..." -Duke Ellington

"have been purchasing from HDtracks with a non-US IP for years using my US credit card. Ive never had any problems."

I've also purchased using paypal with a non-US IP for years without issue. This is a recent development and it's not about how you pay but simply if your IP passes the HDTracks filter. If people are using non US IP's and can still purchase anything it appears some countries are still ok to purchase but some counties aren't.

I'm still able to purchase "some" titles from HDtracks using a UK IP via paypal without issue.

I don't use the PayPal option. The direct CC payment has always worked just fine for me. Try it using your overseas CC and a US address (e.g. HDtracks offices) and it should work ...

2011 Mac Mini (Lion) -> Audirvana Plus -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Schiit Bifrost -> Audioquest Diamondback -> Rotel RA-1520 -> Analysis Plus Oval 12/2 -> Klipsch RF-62 II

"If it sounds good, it is good ..." -Duke Ellington

"Try it using your overseas CC and a US address (e.g. HDtracks offices) and it should work ..."

You're missing the point. HDTacks now filter IP's before you log in so what you can even select is restricted. If your IP doesn't pass their filter you're presented with "No album available" when selecting certain artists.

If you use a search engine and find the HDtracks album page you're presented with the message shown in the screen caps above if you attempt to add to basket again without being logged in.

At this points they have no idea what your address is apart from your IP or if you plan to pay by CC.

The only solution is to use a proxy IP from a country that isn't currently restricted.

I just purchased The Doors from Australia using my AU Ip address without issue.

Downloading merrily as I type.

Just used a normal AU originating Visa card as I have done before.

When setting up account I did use a friends US home address and have purchased at least 20 downloads over last 18 months or so.

Using Safari on an iMac and no proxy so nothing weird or out of the normal for my setup, so if there is an issue with outside IP addresses causing an issue it doesn't appear to involve Oz. Yet anyway.. Perhaps it's restricted to different titles or different studios.

Only downside is that I can't stand 90% of The Doors drug induced self indulgent crap so this experiment has cost me $17.98US or $16.68AU!!! Perhaps the weak US dollar is another contributor.

Boda.