18 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

I only listened to Kullervo once, before I had a copy of the text and knew the subject matter.  I probably won't listen again, as it's repulsive to me now haha.  I have Vänskä's earlier recording with the Lahti Symphony, as well as Järvi's recording on BIS, and one of the Berglund versions.  If a favorite singer were involved in another recording of it, I'd listen for the singer alone haha.

Thank you for bringing the true nature of Kullervo to my attention.  That is not the heartwarming tale of national identity I thought it was.  Funny you have so many recordings of something you have listened to once.  I may try to find out why they chose to record this piece.  After I can figure out what folk story prominently set to music I was thinking of which is actually heartwarming and reflective of Nordic culture to this day.  

CH10581.jpg

1 hour ago, rando said:

Dennis Russell Davies, while heading the St Paul Chamber Orchestra, decided to fix the lack of romantic material for small orchestras by re-orchestrating Dvorák's Bagatelles.

The phantom cursor typo was bugging me even it was still decipherable.

1 hour ago, Guidof said:

Thank you, @rando, but I was looking for a download version.

After an apparently flawed search I hit send on a post stating that it didn't appear to be available as a download.  The page rolled and there was proof it is if you have access to Quobuz.  So in place of my mistake the €4 CD link was put in.  The Japanese remaster/production for EMI of Middlesex, England may be rare, but valuable it isn't.

61n3zGe.jpg

Had serious doubts coming into this one.  To quote from an Amazon review found looking for album cover online

Why? Whose bad idea was this?

In the period 1955 - '65 tens of thousands of kids across the USA played these pieces this badly, or perhaps less badly, myself among them. Ditto 10 years later, 20 years later, and 30 years later, when my own kids did so. Keane even makes the same mistakes at the same rough spots I did.

Whoever wrote the metronome/Hannon advice is spot-on. Hands separately, then together. Bring out the appropriate voices. (Listening) Please, God, make it stop hurting. This is *not* to be encouraged or repeated.

MI0001085687.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Following on from a post by @bmoura I downloaded the Just Listen 1 Compilation off Native DSD.  Some files a few times after accidentally erasing them attempting conversions.  Most fun I've had listening to a single album over the course of a week.  Sat down and listened all the way through tonight.

JL001.jpg

Freedb takes a month or slightly more to update with new releases.  I feel your pain with regards to lengthy metadata entry.  Especially where languages and symbols foreign to English keyboards come into play.  So most classical music.

The Savall box looks interesting.  Fairly sure he didn't make any new digital recordings with Victoria de los Ángeles.  This makes me wonder if it means unearthed from the archives in a quality that saw it put there in the first place, for the asking price?

Front2.jpg

The first three, as well as ninth and eleventh are listed as older remasters.  I wasn't suggesting inferior SQ so much as a mixed bag; artistically banished(?) and reissued works that didn't sell.  It could be wonderful or forgettable or simply for the completists.  JPC has samples of the first disc.

Packaging might very well define minimal.  When Naïve reissued Vivaldi edition discs as small boxed sets the sleeves all but disintegrated upon removal for playing.