5 hours ago, Jud said:

Damn, that’s quite a list.

I was just at my nephew’s wedding, and thinking in 50 years maybe he and his friends will make a “best of” list of all the hip-hop they played and danced to.

But he went to the classics for the wedding itself: A string trio played “Thunder Road” for the processional and “Born to Run” for the recessional. 🙂

Jud,

Kudo's to your nephew, THOSE are classics. Nothing from the hip-hop world will ever be classified as "best", or even remotely meaningful  by anyone with an actual understanding of music. 

JC. 

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

Heh, my wife’s parents told her The Beatles were a passing fad and that no one would be listening to them in 6 months’ time. 🙂

Understood, but a VERY different situation. I watched the Beatles on Ed Sullivan while my grandparents were babysitting me. They said they would never amount to anything too. 

But, despite my greatly extended appreciation and respect for "alternative music" both Rap and Hip Hop has never and will never be considered remotely seriously by qualified music historians and musical critics. I can easily admit that they are "entertainers", but they are neither capable of playing a musical instrument, or singing, which eliminates them from the conversation. And thus, do not even meet the criteria as musical artists. They most often sample existing music or repeat already established rhythms endlessly, or present things for shock value. 

In the end, they may not even have the long term staying power of bubblegum pop from the 60's. 

JC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, zyberguran said:

You may want to check out this article

https://www.bobdylanisis.com/bob-dylan-remastered/

and especially the list at the end where the author present his listing of the best sound quality versions of Bob Dylan’s albums on CD.

It takes some time to check against your own collection on CD, SACD and NAS 😅

Excellent article on the various versions of Bob's work. Thanks! 

22 hours ago, Goran said:

A friend mailed me today, writing "I usually don't care for covers of Dylan songs, but this is different"

https://media.pitchfork.com/photos/650065ea50a6829ae558f7d7/master/w_1280%2Cc_limit/Cat-Power-Sings-Dylan.jpg

Really wanted to listen to it, but its not yet available on Tidal or Qobuz. Well, to be completely accurate, you can pull up the album, but every song is still designated as "unavailable". 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Daccord said:

This one is very difficult to find for some reason. I have only an mp3 download, but I'd happily pay for a FLAC download if you know a source.

Wow. I do not recognize the people in this jazz trio, but if they are playing King Crimson, they must be extremely talented! 

On 1/13/2024 at 3:03 PM, Daccord said:

Ian Wallace was the drummer on Islands. He died after CJ3 Volume 2 (also excellent, and available for purchase and on streaming services).

image.thumb.png.6213c3e5b5aa3d4178a9a94249f7fbae.png

Well done. I should have caught the Ian Wallace reference from my early era Crimson fandom. 

JC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...