1 hour ago, austinpop said:

My absolute favorite work by Haydn is Die Schöpfung (The Creation). Any nonsense about boring and inept are swept away by the grandeur and beauty of this piece.

Its recordings have some of the most beautiful singing I know. As one from Gundula Janowitz in Karajan's 1966 recording.

10 hours ago, WAM said:

I like Bruckner. MF, may I ask what's your favorite Bruckner 7 (I listen a lot to Wand/BP and Haitink CSO)?

The answer depends on how deep you want to go. There are quite different approaches to performing of Bruckner. From super slow Celibidache to highly idiosyncratic Venzago. Some people like versions of 7th with load cymbal clash in adagio other  choose original no-cymbal versions only. Previous posters recommendations are fine and mostly safe. You may want to try Haitink with Concertgebouw, Jochum on EMI as well. 

Do you know adagio was played on German Radio after the announcement of Adolf Hitler's death on April 45?

42 minutes ago, WAM said:

Yep.

I have tried Celibidache, but I do not listen often to his recordings. I also own Jochem, but he does not get much "playing time"  either. Wand is the topdog in Bruckner for me. I also like Barenboim (with BP). Karajan is on the greed-list.

I was going to name Barenboim...) Wand is no doubt very, very good in Bruckner, almost everything what I heard with different orchestras is deep and rich without being laborious. I also returned back to Karajan after couple decades of almost complete ignoring and re-discover his great art, cherishing his last Brahms cycle for a while among other gems. Celibidache is a thing in itself, you can not compare him with anyone else, totally different approach (late Bruckner performances). Will one accept his vision and reading or not is a question.

45 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

I have a lot of Celi recordings. A pity that they are often bootlegs or radio broadcasts as Celibidache hated the recording medium. They are truly special, but I only listen to them quite rarely. 

Celibidache interest for Zen buddhism may explain some of his unconventional decisions. Or, at least, such decisions are explained now by the fact that he had interest for Zen buddhism. His late recordings with Munchner Philharmoniker published after maestro's death by EMI are excellent. Do you have his EMI Bruckner's 3-9 set?

6 hours ago, semente said:

Brahms Symphony No.3 by NDR & Wand... Which one's your preferred interpretation?

51lJfdO3xvL.jpg

For couple of recent months I am thoroughly enjoying the very last DG recordings of all four symphonies from Karajan. In comparison with earlier (and more accessible) Karajan's DG recordings, biggest improvement is with first, but the others are mesmerizing as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, elcorso said:

Love vibraphone and like the way it blends with jazz as part of it.

[...]

Roch

I am quite surprised to read some jazz lovers have difficulties in acceptance of vibraphone. For me its sound is very organic part of jazz. Very early impressions - Miles' Bag's Groove, various MJQ recordings, Burton/Corea, etc., etc. Or, the sound of Lionel Hampton's Midnight Sun solo in the first minutes of Bertolucci's The Sheltering Sky, one of the best examples of jazz in film soundtrack.

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

I must admit the vibraphone isn't my favourite instrument either. I can live with it, but I prefer others. 

OK, Modern Jazz Quartet is enjoyable, but beyond that I don't listen to it very often. With one notable exception, I just love this song:

Another favorite from 70-s was Bobby Hutcherson. And, from new names: Jason Adasiewicz, Stefon Harris. Well, I am surprised and puzzled...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

+1000 

with all the things AI can do these days, I wonder why nobody invented the Jarrett/Gould filter yet. 

I guess it was discussed before..) I had not a slightest problem with his vocalizing since I first heard his LPs in mid-seventies. It could be it was not so clearly heard in LP format though.

Filter exist, it is our brain – we can "turn off" anything we do not need to hear.

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

Her political taste may be questionnable, I still like her voice. 

That said, overall this production is a bit heavy for my taste. 

Ok, let's put aside her tastes (if there are any), the singing in a best case is... mechanical. There is nothing behind the sound, no substance, only emptiness. I had exactly the same feeling long before the war and her support of it. Even though she is Ukrainian.

6 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I rarely WATCH classical music. Hope this can be called 'album of the evening' :) The sound is decent on my headphones. Very nice TV realisation. I've probably heard better versions of the 6th, enjoying this video a lot anyway.

+1. One could hear often about "better versions" of this or that. Any version of anything is ok, imho. I like Abbado's 6th, and I believe it makes sense forget comparing.