Continuing to explore some little seen corners of classical and crossover.  Very unfocused listen here before loading my second album.  :)

8191Ki5BS8L._SL1500_.jpg

So far as Mr. Green's web presence is concerned all I was able to dig up was his obituary that made small mention of his sole recording, "Harlan Green In His Field".  If you are interested in more than a 150x150 picture of the album.  I encourage you to follow the link.  

harlanCD.jpg

Thankfully the included booklet shed a little more light on the man, his piano accompanist, and the recording itself.  Which took place at King's College using a Yamaha grand piano formerly belonging to Glenn Gould and a Yamaha flute on loan from the Julius Baker, Principal flute of the New York Philharmonic.  The dedication is to his sister who taught him music at a young age and the good folks at Yamaha Corporation who made this CD possible.

It would appear our erstwhile editor in chief/main dude/site owner has gone across the grain and pandered to the photo sizeists who think their vintage car looks better embiggened out of the gate.  Maybe we should invite him to revisit his own thread here and see how badly it breaks up the page flow.  :|

Something a bit more upbeat.

image.jpg

6 hours ago, Nikhil said:

Any Rod Stewart fans on here?

Having a blast listening to this album right now.

Much as definitive was too strong a word.  Fan is right in the mix.  :P

I will admit being in an environment that lends itself to unbiased opinions of this style of music you can easily see how he stayed relevant on the popular charts for so long.  Even in that period between his voice starting to fall off and the now ubiquitous studio magic.  I don't do the Stones, Beatle's, Led Zepelin, Hendrix, The Dead, or have much to do with anything else from that period.  You won't hear much complaint about his music though.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mansr said:

There are military bands, though they're not generally known for their opera performances.

Yet they are quite prone to referring to their actions occurring in a theatre (British spelling).  

1 hour ago, Jud said:

I imagine up to a couple of decades ago, most of them had trouble finding sopranos.

Trouser roles were a hot button issue as well.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, austinpop said:

You found it on Tidal? Can you send the link? I’ve searched a number of ways and can’t seem to find it.

No, I meant because of the relatively low number of discs produced.  I'd imagine searching the conductor, players, or chorus would have unearthed it.  Sorry for any confusion.

Bratwurst and Reiner's Vienna make a great pairing.  

The-Complete-Chicago-Symphony-Recordings

Outside of Chicago, and to a lesser degree Milwaukee, diverse identification of authentic varieties fall off into the near ubiquitous term bratwurst rapidly.  Would it help or worsen my case noting I posted a  composer from Bratislava in Song of the Day?

• 3 weeks later...