IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

After hundreds of successful rips - I've got a problem...

I’ve got an issue with the “Best of Super Audio CD” SA-CD.net - Best of Super Audio CD . It won’t play the multi-channel on my Oppo or correctly rip the multi-channel. icon_sad.gif

I have ripped it and it seemed to work, however it didn't seem to “see”/ or recognize the Multichannel area – the stereo has ripped OK…FYI – The size does tend to indicate that it does have multichannel on the disc (3.8GB)…

When I load the ripped ISO up in Foobar2000 or Jriver it only sees and plays the DSD stereo.

I think the TOC for the multichannel area is corrupt. If I run one of the sacd_extract scripts against the ISO I get the following messages:

libsacdread: Not a valid Area TOC!

libsacdread: Can’t read Area TOC 2.

And it then extracts the stereo… icon_sad.gif

I'm using ripper version 0.36...

Any suggestions? Is there any way to get the multichannel DSD off this?

Shall I try a low version ripper (doing a direct extract to DSD MCH?)

Or have I just got a DUD disc?

I see you use version 0.30 I use 3.7 is there a reason to be using an older version, should I re-rip using the older version? Thanks.

Paul,

if you don't face any problem with your rips, just use 0.37.

0.37 got stuck from time to time (it rips just fine, but the progress-bar/screen will not be updated, ... (known bug)

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

After hundreds of successful rips - I've got a problem...

I’ve got an issue with the “Best of Super Audio CD” SA-CD.net - Best of Super Audio CD . It won’t play the multi-channel on my Oppo or correctly rip the multi-channel. icon_sad.gif

I have ripped it and it seemed to work, however it didn't seem to “see”/ or recognize the Multichannel area – the stereo has ripped OK…FYI – The size does tend to indicate that it does have multichannel on the disc (3.8GB)…

When I load the ripped ISO up in Foobar2000 or Jriver it only sees and plays the DSD stereo.

I think the TOC for the multichannel area is corrupt. If I run one of the sacd_extract scripts against the ISO I get the following messages:

libsacdread: Not a valid Area TOC!

libsacdread: Can’t read Area TOC 2.

And it then extracts the stereo… icon_sad.gif

I'm using ripper version 0.36...

Any suggestions? Is there any way to get the multichannel DSD off this?

Shall I try a low version ripper (doing a direct extract to DSD MCH?)

Or have I just got a DUD disc?

Update - the disc plays Multichannel in my old Pioneer player, but not in my Oppo...

Does anyone know if the 0.37 and an older version of the ripper can coexist on the same PS3? In my pretty extensive SACD collection, I have a handful discs (a few Pentatones, a BIS "Red Violin" SACD, and Oehms Mahler 5) that failed to rip repeatedly with 0.37. For those, I would like to try the older ripper but, hopefully, without having to uninstall the 0.37, which works great for the majority of my discs. Thanks

Deribas,

I haven't tried it, but I don't think that it is possible to have two versions of the ripper be present at the same time.

But it isnt a big problem, as uninstalling and reinstalling is an easy task. The only thing to consider before doing so is to keep a thumbdrive loaded with the needed "keys" at hand, as they are also needed on reinstalling any (older) ripper package.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Deribas,

Nope, as Synfreak said, you cannot have two, but it's easy to delete (via the PS3 menu) then reinstall (with keys).

Describe what happens (or doesn't) on the discs that don't rip. Any bind rips so far (those are rips that occur bu the display freezes and does not advance to the progress screen, so one must wait until their thumb drive quits blinking to know the rip is done, then hard reboot)?

Deribas,

Nope, as Synfreak said, you cannot have two, but it's easy to delete (via the PS3 menu) then reinstall (with keys).

Describe what happens (or doesn't) on the discs that don't rip. Any bind rips so far (those are rips that occur bu the display freezes and does not advance to the progress screen, so one must wait until their thumb drive quits blinking to know the rip is done, then hard reboot)?

Thanks for answering so quickly. Yes, I have had a handful of "blind" rips that failed to activate the progress screen but were otherwise normal. I was alerted to those in an earlier thread, and always watch the blinking light on my usb stick for signs of ongoing activity. At this point, I can't remember which SACDs ripped blindly, but none of the ones I mentioned above.

As far as the ones that truly fail to rip with 0.37, the sequence tends to be the same: upon insertion, the screen does not change (stays stuck on "insert a disc. This is not a valid SACD" or something to this effect). The whole system freezes and needs a hard reboot to reset.

One SACD fails differently (and I confirmed with two copies). This is Pentatone Mendelssohn Piano Trios disc. Upon insertion, it progresses to the ripping screen, which immediately changes to the "ripping is complete" message. The system does not freeze but, of course, there is no rip generated.

Yeah, those sound like they need version .30 maybe. Synfreak or I can send it to you.

On the instantaneous "ripping is complete" I've fixed 30-40% of those by hitting the PS3 key then circling back to the ripping screen (i.e don't choose "quit program"). But for 70% they remain unaffected.

I have followed and posted on this thread, but haven't followed or remembered all 93 pages and 2300 posts. So forgive me if this has been discussed and resolved. I have invested a fair amount (in the 5 figures) buying SACD's - close to 500. I've ripped them with my PS3 in both stereo and mch. I have done a few experiments buying downloads of mch from NativeDSD (Channel Classics) and found that the downloads seem to be slightly different sounding and better (richer) than the SACD rips. Not sure why that should be true, if I understand how SACD's work and that we are getting the digital files that were used to make the SACD's. I particularly like the work that Jared Sacks has done recording multichannel and have over 100 Channel Classics SACD's. However, to buy the downloads in both mch and stereo, I would be spending another $5000 plus. If I did the same for all the SACD's I would be pushing $20,000 or more (not all are available as downloads so it probably would be $10K or so). I could think NativeDSD and Acoustic Sounds, etc. are good companies to support and my daughter, son-in-law and grandkids doesn't need more inheritance to spend when I'm dead, but something seems awry here.

Any thoughts or findings or suggestions?

Thanks, Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Larry we have discussed this quite a bit (and I am in the middle as being a co-founder of NativeDSD and the author of the sacd ripping guide :) ). The authoring that an SACD goes through to put onto a disc is the only step that the Channel stuff doesn't go through (and in a few cases the other labels give us pre-tagged DSF files so who knows if they ripped their own discs).

Here is a discussion (started by, um, let me think..YOU!)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/direct-stream-digital-sacd-rip-vs-direct-stream-digital-download-22161/

Larry we have discussed this quite a bit (and I am in the middle as being a co-founder of NativeDSD and the author of the sacd ripping guide :) ). The authoring that an SACD goes through to put onto a disc is the only step that the Channel stuff doesn't go through (and in a few cases the other labels give us pre-tagged DSF files so who knows if they ripped their own discs).

Here is a discussion (started by, um, let me think..YOU!)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/direct-stream-digital-sacd-rip-vs-direct-stream-digital-download-22161/

Thanks Ted. It's coming back. I turn 70 this year, so remembering what I wrote and asked about 5 months ago sometimes is an issue for me! Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

I have ripped now a lot SACDs and detected some of the described bugs, however, the SW works excellently and does what it's supposed to do. I realized an issue with the ISO2DSD app. I extracted the ISO-file to DSF at about 50 MB/sec the same with DFF. Since some days DFF still works fine while DSF only runs with 1.3 MB/sec and requires high processor capacity. Has someone an idea what's going wrong or if I probably changed some settings in the program?

Thanks

Camafin

I have ripped now a lot SACDs and detected some of the described bugs, however, the SW works excellently and does what it's supposed to do. I realized an issue with the ISO2DSD app. I extracted the ISO-file to DSF at about 50 MB/sec the same with DFF. Since some days DFF still works fine while DSF only runs with 1.3 MB/sec and requires high processor capacity. Has someone an idea what's going wrong or if I probably changed some settings in the program?

Thanks

Camafin

The hybrid multichannel disc will extract much slower than a stereo only disc. And if you don't have the DST checkbox checked the DSF will fly (and produce garbage).

I don't use that app anymore; I use Bogi's autocontext ISO2DSF (i.e right-click in Windows Explorer) solution, that first converts to DFF, then converts to DSF (resolving the DSF click bug). The application stores the metadata/tags from the ISO and sticks them in the DSF (even though it went to DFF first). All with a simple right click on the ISO.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/how-do-you-store-dff-untagged-files-21780/index8.html#post368551

Yeah, those sound like they need version .30 maybe. Synfreak or I can send it to you.

On the instantaneous "ripping is complete" I've fixed 30-40% of those by hitting the PS3 key then circling back to the ripping screen (i.e don't choose "quit program"). But for 70% they remain unaffected.

Yes, please send the 0.30 version, as well as 0.37 for going back to the present. For installation, I'll need to reread the relevant sections of The Guide, as my software was installed already on the ps3 that northeastohiopcs built for me.

Thanks for you workaround suggestion for the false "ripping complete" error. Unfortunately, my SACD is in the 70%. Appreciate your help, Ted_b and Synfreak.

I should probably catalogue my problematic titles, and we could compile a database of those somewhere on this site, as well as any successful solutions.

On the disc, not recognized errors, do they show in the music column as sacd's or just as music cd's.

If they do show as sacd's my guess would be a file permission error. You may want to install linux and attempt ripping those disc that way.

If anyone would like to try from linux here is a great bootable iso image. This will save you from actually having to go through all the steps of install linux.

Red Ribbon GNU/Linux for PS3 / Wiki / Home

Just burn to a cd/dvd and boot petit boot.

On the disc, not recognized errors, do they show in the music column as sacd's or just as music cd's.

Thanks for weighing in. You may be making some assumptions about the level of technical expertise, at least in my case. I would not know how to run a program in Linux on a ps3, for one thing. But just for starters, what "music column" are you talking about?

The music column is in the sony main menu. For example, sacd ripper is in the game column. From there press left on the 4 way direction pad 3 times. Then you will be in the music column. You should see the sacd title. Under the title it will say either sacd or music cd.

If the disc does show as sacd and you would like to try linux, just pm me and I will talk you through a fairly simple install.

Hello, UK newbie first post so apologies if I don’t get itright or if it is in the wrong place. First of all a big thank you to MrWicked and to ted_b for the online guidance that helped me to get my PS3 sorted. Ihave just finished ripping my SACD collection with 0.37 to network and it would appear without asingle failure (just isos at the moment. Having been through the learning curve I would be happy to sharemy knowledge or indeed help with ripping if anyone is local. All the best.

The music column is in the sony main menu. For example, sacd ripper is in the game column. From there press left on the 4 way direction pad 3 times. Then you will be in the music column. You should see the sacd title. Under the title it will say either sacd or music cd.

If the disc does show as sacd and you would like to try linux, just pm me and I will talk you through a fairly simple install.

Thanks. Will do

As far as the ones that truly fail to rip with 0.37, the sequence tends to be the same: upon insertion, the screen does not change (stays stuck on "insert a disc. This is not a valid SACD" or something to this effect). The whole system freezes and needs a hard reboot to reset.

One SACD fails differently (and I confirmed with two copies). This is Pentatone Mendelssohn Piano Trios disc. Upon insertion, it progresses to the ripping screen, which immediately changes to the "ripping is complete" message. The system does not freeze but, of course, there is no rip generated.

I'm having the exact same problem on certain discs from Pentatone and Chandos. Did going back to version 0.30 work for you?

I'm having the exact same problem on certain discs from Pentatone and Chandos. Did going back to version 0.30 work for you?

For me this was always to do with extra long file paths. Using network for rips with this script

@Echo Off

sacd_extract -I -i192.168.0.14:2002 Test

pause

.bat script always resulted in good iso's.

The problems with some SACDs from Pentatone (whilst ripping these to ISOs) aren't related to restrictions of too long filenames including paths), but with some special characters used for tracknames.

Going back to an older version of the ripper package should hepl in these cases.

The problem Paul describes above is related while extracting tracks from the ISOs, and can be avoided with adding the "Test" portion in the *.bat file.

If one needs older builds of the ripper, please send me your email address via PM.

The problems with some SACDs from Pentatone (whilst ripping these to ISOs) aren't related to restrictions of too long filenames including paths), but with some special characters used for tracknames.

Going back to an older version of the ripper package should hepl in these cases.

The problem Paul describes above is related while extracting tracks from the ISOs, and can be avoided with adding the "Test" portion in the *.bat file.

If one needs older builds of the ripper, please send me your email address via PM.

No the script above is for extracting the ISO, the script I use for DST to DSF is

@Echo Off

FOR /F "tokens=*" %%k IN ('dir /b *.iso') DO sacd_extract.exe -c -s -i"%%k" Test

Echo Extraction Completed

Pause

I think you helped me with this Synfreak, a long time ago. :-)

It also worked for filenames with special characters.... I think.