IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

First post from an occasional lurker. Following Ted's SACD Ripping Guide Version 4.0 (Thanks, Ted!), everything has gone smoothly. I found a PS3 on eBay with firmware 2.41, and installing the hacked OS was no problem. The SACD Ripper also installed without incident, and I have successfully ripped about 20 SACDs from my library. But with a few discs, I get the following error message when I try to extract DSF files using the ISO2DSD app: libsacdread: Can’t stat [filename.iso] No such file or directory. The ISO file is certainly in the target folder, and I'm able to extract DSF files from other ISO files in the same folder. Does anyone have any idea of what's going on, and have any suggestions

For some of the discs, I can just get rip the CD layer as I do normally. But I have a few non-hybrid discs, mainly from Sony, so this workaround obviously won't work for them. And in any event, I'd like to be able to play the DSD content on my SACDs from my Mac.

My apologies if this has been addressed before. If it has, I haven't been able to find anything.

Hello everybody,

I'm really kind of new in the forum but have read most of the latest post on the last few pages and figure I'm ready to rip my fist ever sacd. Now that I have all my software ready and the ps3 on factory earliest version official firmware (I never connected it to internet) I assume all i have to do is to upgrade into the cfw 3.55 ted provided in his guide in order to start ripping my sacds.

Now my question is regarding the setup of the ps3, would I need anything else alongside the cfw to make my ps3 more durable while having to rip my whole collection of sacds. What I meant from anything else is anything from software to hardware, I read a few post back that I should have control over the fan with the multiman and fancontrol add-ons?

I would really appreciate if anybody with experience on maintaining their ps3 while ripping countless sacds could give their advice on this.

I do not mind upgrading my ps3's hardwares in anyway as long as they provide durability and performance (and ofcourse still rips sacds.)

First, do some research (Ted's guide, the very beginning of this thread, and the original thread on ripping) and verify that you have the proper series of PS3. Not only does it need to be one of the 7-8 year old original fat units it also has to be one of the ones that could read SACD (only certain units could). I think this is spelled out in Ted's guide.

Controlling heat is very important. In fact, you may find your ripping sessions limited to less than 10 disks at a time due to heat. Upgrading the fan is possible if you can find the exact part, if not I have read where others just cracked open the case and had a regular house fan blow on it - which mostly pushes the hot air away from the chips.

Remember to go out and get ISO2DSD, the interface has changed since the instructions, much easier now. As for network versus direct, I never could get the network option to work. Others complained about the RJ45 jack on the unit and I have to agree that mine had a lot of slop in it when I inserted a plug - I went with USB sticks. If you go the USB stick route do yourself a favor and buy something that is fast (and if it doesn't tell you the transfer rate then move on), I think mine are 30 Mb/s. As for size, the more the merrier. One last thing about USB sticks, be weary of USB 3 sticks, it's one thing to be USB 3 compatible, it's another thing to have the high transfer rate.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Controlling heat is very important. In fact, you may find your ripping sessions limited to less than 10 disks at a time due to heat.

Overheating is often the cause of the infamous YLOD (Yellow Light of Death), requiring an expensive repair by a professional who knows what he's doing. I would suggest that your rip no more than two or three SACDs at a time and then allow the PS3 to cool down completely. Then repeat with similar small batches.

I followed this advice, which was given to me, and ripped my 50 SACDs without any problems. I recently sold my PS3 for what I paid for it.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Hello everybody,

I'm really kind of new in the forum but have read most of the latest post on the last few pages and figure I'm ready to rip my fist ever sacd. Now that I have all my software ready and the ps3 on factory earliest version official firmware (I never connected it to internet) I assume all i have to do is to upgrade into the cfw 3.55 ted provided in his guide in order to start ripping my sacds.

Now my question is regarding the setup of the ps3, would I need anything else alongside the cfw to make my ps3 more durable while having to rip my whole collection of sacds. What I meant from anything else is anything from software to hardware, I read a few post back that I should have control over the fan with the multiman and fancontrol add-ons?

I would really appreciate if anybody with experience on maintaining their ps3 while ripping countless sacds could give their advice on this.

I do not mind upgrading my ps3's hardwares in anyway as long as they provide durability and performance (and ofcourse still rips sacds.)

store.brewology.com has both the latest multiman and control fan. Another option is Irisman, which is another game manager like multiman. It has control fan built in. Call me crazy, but I actually still play games on rare occasions on both my cecha and ceche model ps3's. With control fan set to a manual 44% fan speed, both my ps3's run under 55 degrees Celcius for cpu and rsx.

i also re-thermal pasted the ps3's with MX4. The process looks scarier than it looks. The main thing is to go slow especially with the ribbon cables.

One of my PS3 is on Rebug 3.55.4 with sacd ripper and the other is on rebug 4.65.1 with 4.66 spoofer because I still play online with madden 15, fight night champion, and all other sports games. With QA Toggle enabled, it's easy to downgrade cfw back to 3.55. But I'm going off on a tangent, so I digress.

Sorry for the long post but some might be interested and/or might be able to help. For most of us I think our biggest worry is that if we are unlucky enough to need to call on a warranty will it be honoured? I do recall posts of people worrying about where they can safely buy a ps3. I have been fully involved in this thread, I have 53 posts since April.

Only because of northeastohiopcs offer of a 1 year warranty in this thread, see his post #2163, I felt it safe enough to buy a ps3 off him. That has turned out to be a big mistake which is costing me dear especially with the time taken to email him countless times.

I also stupidly gave a recommendation too soon which I hope I won't need to withdraw, see my post #2227 above.

From the start I only asked for a replacement not a refund. I told him "The most important thing to me is to have a good ps3 to rip sacd over the coming years." In eBay disputes section there is no option for this reason so I chose closest ie "Refund" but always hoping for a good ps3 to rip sacd over the coming years.

He did say in his first reply “........and you are unable to receive compensation via the insurance. I will once again take the loss and replace the unit out of my own pocket.”

However the more I say I cannot receive insurance compensation the more he insists I do.

I also told him “You will see from my forum record I am very knowledgeable re not updating firmware etc. I guarantee I have not updated firmware or done ANYTHING except what I told you. I don't play games or watch blueray only needed to rip sacd as I told you in our correspondence. I have RLOD/YLOD from some weakness in the ps3 as you refurbished it and sent it to me.”

On his eBay Advert. This is exactly from the VERY TOP of the page description:

“REBALLED CPU AND GPU FAN MOD FREE - 90 DAY WARRANTY!!!” he put !!! and capitals in his description not me.

Lower in description he says:

"REST ASSURED THESE SYSTEM ARE REBUILT TO LAST." Again his capitals.

Here on Computeraudiophile forum he gives us a further offer of a 1 year warranty, see his post #2163

Before I purchase on eBay he gives me confirmation and further reassurance in writing:

"The system is freshly reballed with 1 year warranty...."

and reassures further:

"I can assure you the system will be dependable for a long time."

The ps3 fails after only 75 days (see below) with R or maybe YLOD, hard to tell lights flash v quickly.

To see the original advert listing search eBay worldwide Item: 141409756703

He tells me after the ps3 fails after only 75 days, (see below) with Red or maybe YLOD, hard to tell lights flash v quickly, that it must be shipping damage and I must claim off them. He further adds "I do package the systems in excess of the recommend packaging to insure safe transport."

I say the ps3 arrived without any sign of physical damage whatsoever also no physical damage whatsoever to the packaging and carton so I believe insurance would be turned down. Every shipping insurance I have ever known requires a report within about 7 days maximum of delivery and proof of physical damage to item and carton. Impossible in this case. Is seller is trying to dishonour his warranty. (summary over several emails) I also say (after many hours researching) I have no insurance. The only way I could find was to claim a refund from eBay, absolutely nothing available to claim on insurance.

In many emails he keeps INSISTING I CLAIM INSURANCE. (my capitals)

I have always thought that this situation is exactly what warranties are for/all about otherwise they are worthless.

eBay turned down my refund request. A buyer must request a return no later than 30 days after the actual (or latest estimated) delivery date.

They said about me “........You have managed to maintain an excellent buying and selling history. I admire your patience and professionalism in handling this issue.” “ .....I do acknowledge all your efforts in this case.”

If anyone thinks they can help please let me know, I am happy to provide copies of ALL the correspondence, I have nothing to hide.

This is an exact copy of my first request to him and his first reply, The Christmas rush having started I also later asked (before his first reply, as below) if he could send a replacement when I gave the tracking no of the return. I realised I shouldn’t ask that and happily apologised.

Hi

re item 141409756703

When my ps3 arrived a few weeks back I did a test rip of 2 sacd and it worked.

It has been off since then, also switched off power at back power switch. Today I received a new sacd but when I switched it on it came on with display on tv then before I could select the sacd ripper program it turned off.

PS3 Off, still red light then switched on then immediately green light then possibly yellowish (maybe the green going red?) and then 3 beeps then straight to red light and off with red light continually flashing. Press on once red light becomes still, press on again and same cycle repeating as above.

Every time fan immediately starts to spin.

Tried with hard drive re-seated, same and with hard drive out, same. Tried keeping button held down, same. Tried with tv off same. Please advise. I can phone you if it helps. I am very knowledgeable about computers but not ps3. Basically I have never used it.

Regards

Exact copy of his first reply:

I have read through your messages. As I do appreciate your business. If the system has broken after only 2 sacd's that has more than likely been damaged in shipping. I do test every system. International orders more so that domestic. I would ask you file the proper insurance claim. I do package the systems in excess of the recommend packaging to insure safe transport.

As far as sending a replacement system before receiving the original back. I can not do this. Twice I have in the past. I have received a empty box on 1 occasion and the second was a firmware brick. The buyer must have attempted updating to official firmware. As A firmware brick is unrepairable and the buyer claimed it arrived in this condition.

I realize you would think the cecha01 is a suitable replacement. However , there is a 100 dollar price difference between the cecha01 and the ceche01 model. I assume you purchased a ceche01. As I can no longer view your auction via eBay , please correct me if I am mistake.

Here is a few thing that could have broken the system if not caused in shipping. If none of these occurred and you are unable to receive compensation via the insurance. I will once again take the loss and replace the unit out of my own pocket.

If when you connected to your router you were asked by the ps3 to perform a system update and agreed. That updates to official firmware and bricks the system. If you inserted a sony bluray movie or ps3 game and were asked for a system update the same problem occurs.

I have had system that failed on the customer. In these cases I am glad to replace the unit for them. Unfortunately , more often than not I have been deceived.

Paul,

Sorry to hear about your problem but I can see both sides of this argument. Being a modified PS3 owner I can tell you that these machines are flaky and if you re-read through some of the related posts you will see where CA members mention this (even Ted mentions that he sometimes has to power his up several times to get it to start correctly).

From northeastohiopcs' perspective I am sure he has had a lot of people do stupid things and in the beginning he probably tried to accommodate them until that practice eventually got in the way of his business. The units themselves are nearing 10 years old and in theory he is simply backing down a chip that got flashed, he also offers to check the laser and add a fan if you wish. But no where is he able to do a full diagnostic with a stress test to ensure that your machine is going to last. He's renovating old stuff, it's a gamble.

From your perspective he did post a warranty, I get that and he should back his statements. If I read this correctly he offered to replace your unit, that's pretty standard warranty practice now days. It seems the "catch 22" that you got stuck in is that you didn't queue up a large number of SACDs and immediately start burning as soon as you received your machine, therefore you didn't see the issues in a timely manner. You may want to consider accepting his replacement unit and then rip a bunch of disks once you receive it (but not all in one session, the machines do get hot and need to cool down).

You will find another current SACD ripping thread where Mr. Wicked (I assume you know who this is since you read Ted's ripping guide) is considering the production of units sans PS3. I, like many others here on CA, have jumped on that band wagon because I expect my PS3 to die soon - I have to reboot my machine at least 5 times in order to get it to start correctly.

There is no guaranteed solution and putting northeastohiopcs out of business won't do anything for us interested in PS3 ripping. I read the guide and threads (two or more times) and realized that I was taking a risk, I accepted that risk and I am grateful that I managed to get close to 100 SACDs ripped. The cutting edge can be cool but it's also scary.

I hope you get to enjoy the pleasures of having your DSD files available on your music server.

Jay

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Hi Jay, thanks for your kind, friendly reply. I see you mean well however I think you missed some essential facts. I have replies inline below.

Paul,

Sorry to hear about your problem but I can see both sides of this argument. Being a modified PS3 owner I can tell you that these machines are flaky

Which is the whole point of buying very cautiously and ONLY from someone that is confident enough in their refurbs to give the warranty I was given.

and if you re-read through some of the related posts you will see where CA members mention this (even Ted mentions that he sometimes has to power his up several times to get it to start correctly).

From northeastohiopcs' perspective I am sure he has had a lot of people do stupid things

I have done nothing stupid, I am an experienced user and have a good refurbished and reballed ps3 in London, where I live, to rip my small collection of about 90 sacd's successfully and that ps3 is still working perfectly. I am in Australia for some months and having read here in this thread before I left about a user who had a spare ps3 in case of future unavailability of ps3's I thought to get a second one as a spare and also to be able to rip a few sacd I might get on my few months in Australia.

and in the beginning he probably tried to accommodate them until that practice eventually got in the way of his business.

A warranty is a warranty, if his business cannot cope he should not give the warranty. To give a warrenty and not honour it is dishonest. No one put a gun to his head and made him give the warranty, especially to all of us here in our friendly community.

The units themselves are nearing 10 years old and in theory he is simply backing down a chip that got flashed, he also offers to check the laser and add a fan if you wish. But no where is he able to do a full diagnostic with a stress test to ensure that your machine is going to last. He's renovating old stuff, it's a gamble.

I would never take such a gamble, the ps3 cost me a lot of money, I ONLY gave that money for the ps3 with warranty.

From your perspective he did post a warranty, I get that and he should back his statements.

That is correct, he should stick to his warranty, not to do so is dishonest.

If I read this correctly he offered to replace your unit, that's pretty standard warranty practice now days.

If you read my post again you will see he wrote about replacing it but in fact persistently and continuously demanded I claim on insurance.

It seems the "catch 22" that you got stuck in is that you didn't queue up a large number of SACDs and immediately start burning as soon as you received your machine, therefore you didn't see the issues in a timely manner.

This is crazy what I bought was a ps3 advertised as "REST ASSURED THESE SYSTEM ARE REBUILT TO LAST."

and "I can assure you the system will be dependable for a long time."

AND with a 1 year warranty.

You may want to consider accepting his replacement unit

He has refused to replace it, he insists I claim shipping insurance.

and then rip a bunch of disks once you receive it (but not all in one session, the machines do get hot and need to cool down).

I know all about heat issues I have read every post in this thread several times.

You will find another current SACD ripping thread where Mr. Wicked (I assume you know who this is since you read Ted's ripping guide) is considering the production of units sans PS3. I, like many others here on CA, have jumped on that band wagon because I expect my PS3 to die soon - I have to reboot my machine at least 5 times in order to get it to start correctly.

There is no guaranteed solution and putting northeastohiopcs out of business won't do anything for us interested in PS3 ripping.

I would hate to put anyone out of business let alone northeastohiopcs who I trusted to give me a ps3 as advertised and warranted. I'm sure he still can. I still have faith in him, all be it running out. This is exactly why I have gone to such lengths and raised questions and not made accusations. I have spent days not hours on this. Indeed I trust him so much I have already spent $100 to ship it back to him regardless that I have no assurance of a good outcome.

I read the guide and threads (two or more times) and realized that I was taking a risk, I accepted that risk and I am grateful that I managed to get close to 100 SACDs ripped. The cutting edge can be cool but it's also scary.

I hope you get to enjoy the pleasures of having your DSD files available on your music server.

Jay

First off I did offer to replace the system and honor my warranty. This was after you demanded I immediately sent you a CECHA01 that was listed on eBay.As your purchased a lower priced cecheo1 that is unfair. You also threaten to leave negative feedback here and on eBay IF I did not meet your demands.

Honestly I read very little of what you posted about me. Mainly because I have told you several times I would replace the unit. The fact is that only after your threats I am refusing to pay the return shipping cost. I have offered to pay the shipping for the replacement. I have in the past replaced members system who have sent poor quality systems in for downgrading. Anyone in the past year and a half who has requested a downgrade is warned that the system must have the original warranty sticker.

Still after your complete ignorance you are welcome to return the system for a replacement. As I have told you several times.

You lost your eBay case because you had no right to file. I have a 30 day return policy via eBay. My warranty period is 1 year. In which I have the right to request you pay the shipping to returns the item. Until now I have reimbursed the small number of buyers that needed a replacement. Due to your threats ,false claims and pure ignorance you are SOL on the return shipping cost.

Thank you. I do not think he realizes the amount of effort I go through to provide quality systems for the community. I sold him a CECHE01 with the 50 dollar computer audiophile discount for a total of 250. This is a reballed cpu and gpu. Both 100 dollar services anywhere. On 3.55 a 75 dollar service anywhere. With new laser 28 and new top cover 18 free fan mod 10 for parts. You can add another 20 for ebay fees and 15 more for free shipping to the ebay global shipping facility. I practically gave him the system itself.

He made this post after losing a case filed with ebay. Basically, he is crying like a child who did not get their way. There was never an attempt on my part to avoid replacing the unit. I recently sent 3 systems to Australia. The other 2 are working fine. I have never in the past requested a member file an insurance claim. If the system truly failed after 1 use I honestly believe something must have been damaged in shipping.

Thank you for now agreeing to honour your warranty. The ps3 is already shipped with the tracking no I previously gave to you. As I have kindly said before I think there has been quite a bit of misunderstanding over this matter. I hope to receive a good ps3 as I am sure you intended with the first one. As I said to you it was bad luck for both of us, however the very reason of warranties is to cover this type of situation because this sometimes happens. I have replied to some of your assertions inline below.

First off I did offer to replace the system and honor my warranty.

you did BUT then immediately and continuously, until this moment, insisted I claim on shipping insurance.

This was after you demanded I immediately sent you a CECHA01 that was listed on eBay.

This is completely untrue, I respectfully and kindly asked if you could, it being the beginning of the busy Christmas shipping season and bearing in mind my excellent eBay record and my contribution to this forum, ship it on receipt of the return tracking no. I admit I never noticed a price difference. When you pointed this out I IMMEDIATELY apologised for my request. Throughout our correspondence I have always appreciated and acknowledged to you how the failed ps3 must also be upsetting to you as well as to me.

As your purchased a lower priced cecheo1 that is unfair. You also threaten to leave negative feedback here and on eBay IF I did not meet your demands.

It was ONLY after you had said I must claim on insurance that said I do not want to have to revise my feedback or write of a bad experience. There was never any demands from me. Throughout this matter I have been polite and respectful. I am more than happy to post an exact copy of all the correspondence if you so wish, indeed if you stand by your misleading assertions I shall do so in any case.

Honestly I read very little of what you posted about me. Mainly because I have told you several times I would replace the unit.

This simply is not true, you continuously insisted I claim shipping insurance. This is on the written record of our correspondence.

The more you make these false statements the more readers of this forum are going to think 'what if this should happen to me, would I want to go through what paul300h has gone through and so buy elsewhere.'

The fact is that only after your threats I am refusing to pay the return shipping cost.

This is completely untrue, review the correspondence, you always insisted you would not pay. I quote what you said:

"For you to request I reimburse your return shipping cost is a violation of eBay policy." As I pointed out to you with extracts from eBay this is not a violation of their policy.

I have offered to pay the shipping for the replacement.

This simply is not true you never once offered this. If I am mistaken please post a copy of correspondence here.

I have in the past replaced members system who have sent poor quality systems in for downgrading. Anyone in the past year and a half who has requested a downgrade is warned that the system must have the original warranty sticker.

Still after your complete ignorance you are welcome to return the system for a replacement. As I have told you several times.

You lost your eBay case because you had no right to file. I have a 30 day return policy via eBay. My warranty period is 1 year. In which I have the right to request you pay the shipping to returns the item. Until now I have reimbursed the small number of buyers that needed a replacement. Due to your threats ,false claims and pure ignorance you are SOL on the return shipping cost.

Would you like me to post the full correspondence showing no threats or false claims or pure ignorance, just ask me to and I happily will.

Thank you. I do not think he realizes the amount of effort I go through to provide quality systems for the community. I sold him a CECHE01 with the 50 dollar computer audiophile discount for a total of 250. This is a reballed cpu and gpu. Both 100 dollar services anywhere. On 3.55 a 75 dollar service anywhere. With new laser 28 and new top cover 18 free fan mod 10 for parts. You can add another 20 for ebay fees and 15 more for free shipping to the ebay global shipping facility. I practically gave him the system itself.

He made this post after losing a case filed with ebay. Basically, he is crying like a child who did not get their way. There was never an attempt on my part to avoid replacing the unit. I recently sent 3 systems to Australia. The other 2 are working fine. I have never in the past requested a member file an insurance claim. If the system truly failed after 1 use I honestly believe something must have been damaged in shipping.

I do not consider paying $250 PLUS $42.48 you practically "giving" me the ps3. No free shipping, another untrue assertion.

Having made such insulting comments why don't you post a complete copy of ALL the correspondence to substantiate these insults.

I do not consider paying $250 PLUS $42.48 you practically "giving" me the ps3. No free shipping, another untrue assertion.

Having made such insulting comments why don't you post a complete copy of ALL the correspondence to substantiate these insults.

I'd like to offer a different suggestion.

I believe most of us to subscribe to this thread to learn more about ripping SACD's. While each side has its accounting of what happened in the issue of the PS3 being discussed, I for one would appreciate not seeing any more posts about that topic.

Thanks,

Joel

I'd like to offer a different suggestion.

I believe most of us to subscribe to this thread to learn more about ripping SACD's. While each side has its accounting of what happened in the issue of the PS3 being discussed, I for one would appreciate not seeing any more posts about that topic.

Thanks,

Joel

Joel I do respect your thoughts. To this end see my following post.

I would like to add however the the ability to obtain good and reliable ps3's is of fundermental importance to the very existance of this thread. It is also extremely easy for those not interested to skip posts they find not relevant.

northeastohiopcs this is really becoming awful and surely upsetting for us both. Between all the harshness I still beleive you mean to do your best.

As I said I have already shipped, DHL, the ps3 back to you and that the most important thing to me is to have a good ps3 to rip sacd over the coming years. That is all I ever wanted and I do beleive it was simply bad luck I got a bad system.

I understand and appreciate that you have now offered to replace the ps3. Of course the 1 year warrenty and the further assurances you gave "rest assured these systems are built to last" and "I can assure you the system will be dependable for a long time" must apply to the replacement and I would expect to hold you to them.

Given that you agree to this I will happily pay the return shipping of AUD 105 myself and also send you $40 towards the shippimg back to me. If you are happy with this we can then put all this behind us.

I will no longer be providing systems to an ungrateful community.

Please do not contact me for sacd system nor downgrades.

I have been directly lied to by several member. While offering downgrade service I received a system that was still in the box from the members eBay purchase. When I ask if this was the members original system they told me it was. Of course it yloded shortly after downgrading. That is only 1 instance of 4 were I replaced motherboards out of my own pocket.

Another time I was told by a members he never used the unit he had purchased 6 months previously. The system was returned suffering from a firmware brick. That is an unrepairable problem that could not have been done in shipping.

I do regret to the many honest members that I must make this decision.

To the several scammer that do not know how not to render their systems unrepairable and blame me for their ignorance. Installing and running modified firmware does require some knowledge not to damage the system.

Just received a message from a member who had a system that was not ejecting the disk properly. Now they claim it is my fault the continued to use a faulty unit and damage their collection of sacd's.

Good luck purchasing 400 dollar units with 14 day warranties.

Can both of you please continue this matter, if necessary, via PMs and leave the thread for its intended purpose..

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

FYI

A member of another forum explained that the death of PS3 consoles is inevitable. I'm exactly quoting his post about this topic:

ps3 dying is inevitable – even if no any hardware failure like ylod occurred, at some point in time its ‘bootldr’ and ‘metldr’ (programmed in factory during production), which are encrypted with individual key of each ps3 cpu (‘cell be’ cpu), will just vanish due to ‘data retention’ of flash memory in which they are written and because of that individual encryption you cannot recover them, unless you have copies of them, which is unlikely. so, while that ‘data retention’ time is many years it all depends on the quality of the memory chip used – for example some CECHK and CECHL consoles use very low quality such memory chip and many of them already died of that problem and that is permanent brick, because there is no way to recover the cpu key. so, ps3 is made with expiration date in mind, i guess those were even design goals – in case it’s hacked, it better self-destructs after some time.

FYI

A member of another forum explained that the death of PS3 consoles is inevitable. I'm exactly quoting his post about this topic:

That is completely false information. The nand consoles have bad block remapping. Almost every system does have a few bad blocks. This is completely normal.Each nand chip hold 128 mb of memory. The total size of the largest and newest firmware is 193 mb. Meaning over 25% of the chip would need to be bad before the system could not repair itself.

Until recently this did pose a problem for downgrading. As you can clearly see the problem has been resolved.

PlayStation 3 NAND Flash Tool

The most bad blocks I have ever seen is 6. That is a total of 3 mb.

A firmware brick occurs when installation of firmware becomes corrupt. For instance , if you are running modified firmware and install official firmware. The official firmware installation becomes corrupt due to the patches applied in the modified firmware. The official update is not properly encrypted.

This also occurs when install modified firmware improperly. For instance , a system on firmware lower than 3.55 is attempted to be modified with 3.55 custom firmware. It is always best to install 3.55 official firmware before installing 3.55 modified firmware.

A bricked console will generally start when the rear power switch is turned on. The system is attempting to finish the system update. Since it is corrupt the system usually ylod or shows high fan speed before powering off.

To test if a system is firmware bricked you simply solder a wire from tristate to ground. This disables the systems ability to read , erase or write to the nands, The system will not shutdown since the system can not read the corrupted data.

Can both of you please continue this matter, if necessary, via PMs and leave the thread for its intended purpose..

I respect your opinion but do not agree.

I have provided over 100 systems to this community. Always at very low profit margins. I make more on a slim in half the time. For my previous dedication to this community , I would think I at minimum have earned the right to defend false allegations against me.

Out of the 100+ systems I have provided Before this incident I have only had 1 other system ylod. This was after a year and a half of use by the member. I was unable to repair the system and replaced the motherboard for a 100 dollar charge.

On a few occasions the systems did arrive with slight problems insert / ejecting the disk. This is caused by the design of the system. I did send those members prepaid labels and repaired the system.

Before this incident I have never requested a member claim insurance. Although the drives do rarely become misaligned in shipping.

Recently and most likely due to this incident 1 member whom uses my system for commercial use is also accusing me of dishonest practices. I did offer to replace their system that developed a southbridge problem. After I learned they are using the system for commercial use I am refusing to replace the unit for that purpose. Sony does not warranty systems for commercial use and neither should I be held to.That was after 8 months of commercial use.

If anyone can speak to the contrary I would love to hear about and resolve any issues.

I have offered a 1 year warranty for at least the past year.

Lastly Paul stated until this forums correspondence I was refusing to honor my warranty.eBay global shipping relabels all packages. Paul could not of had my address to ship the system to if I had not previously provide that information.

Northeastohiopcs,

i don't have have a dog in this fight, but your comments and defense isn't helping you. U call out this "ungrateful community" from where you haven't made much profit, but then u say that you've sold more than 100 PS3 sacd ripping systems for very little profit to members here. I call bs and bs. U lurk on this thread for the very reason to sell your cfw sacd systems. And what's with your comment about selling PS3 slim systems for more profit in half the time about? Loading cfw on a slim takes the same amount of time as it does on a BC sacd fat PS3. Everyone knows that all these 3.55 cfw ps3's are primarily purchased by people for the sole purpose of pirating or stealing games. This is fact and not arguable. I have 2 sacd rippable ps3's and I'll let it be known that out of my 70 sacd's I own, I have ripped 4 discs total just to test out that my PS3's work as they should in. Almost EVERY sacd is out there on the Internet for free downloading in iso format. This is a fact.

Nand flashing an sacd capable PS3 on higher than fw 3.55 back to cfw 3.55 or ofw 3.55 is easy and not that expensive. There are reputable guys on the west coast and east coast. Nor flashing slim ps3's is even easier for profiteers on eBay who knowingly peddle cfw ps3's to pirates.

in short, don't pretend you've been here providing some great service out of kindness.

as a third person reading the recent off-topic back and forth, the buyer should have gotten his replacement system without having to file an insurance claim...end of story. It's clear the replacement is now being offered to undo the bad publicity.

You recently had a video showing your attempt at reballing PS3 Gpu or cpu, then you deleted the video. Reballing ps3's is not an easy task. The fact that you sell reballed PS3's says a lot. everyone knows that the reballed unit has had a ylod. And who knows what crappy reflow job was attempted to try and fix the ylod even before the reball repair. Most people who have done any research on this topic would stay away from supposed reballed systems pure and simple.

ebayers and profiteers buy dead ylod PS3 for super cheap and reflow the system, slap on cfw, resell for huge profit....rinse and repeat.

the window of opportunity at making money selling cfw PS3 is coming to an end as people are moving on to ps4.

i feel your pain...almost....